WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

4l80 for a v drive

motormonkey

Reaction score
I'm going to try it, has anybody done this yet. I've been told overdrive can handle 750hp in a car, but what do you think in a boat.

BamBam

Reaction score
Alexi of Boostpower put one in his 21 Schiada. He would probably have the best input. One of my really good friends tried to get me to put one in. I think it would be a good fit, I just didn't want to re-rig everything. I don't know if I would try to pull hard in OverDrive for full speed or just use OD to lower the RPM for cruising around.

sintax

Reaction score
I guess the real question is why? What problem are we trying to solve? It seems like a lot of work and weight for nothing?

A built velvet drive should weigh about 80 lbs less, and shorten your driveline a ton, rigging will be easier and cleaner.

IF you want gears for some reason, why not go with a built shorty powerglide? You can choose your gear ratios and it'll handle 2500 hp, and will STILL weigh 60 ish pounds less than the 4l80

Last edited:

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
I've thought it would be nice to lower rpm for cruising. Is there much weight difference between a TH400 & 4l80 ?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Gearstar quotes the 4l80e as 236 lbs dry.
Turbo 400 is 135 lbs dry. (Gearstar also)

For what it's worth.

Dan'l

motormonkey

Reaction score
I'm not worried about weight. 100 pounds in a schiada won't be noticed. I like the thought of lower cruise and gear options with the OD.
Is power easier on a Trans in a boat vs car?

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
I’m putting a gear vendor behind my th400 for lower cruising rpms And curious on what it does when it split 2nd gear!!!

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Alexi of Boostpower put one in his 21 Schiada. He would probably have the best input. One of my really good friends tried to get me to put one in. I think it would be a good fit, I just didn't want to re-rig everything. I don't know if I would try to pull hard in OverDrive for full speed or just use OD to lower the RPM for cruising around.
I don’t think it was a 4l80. I believe it was a modified th400. He talks about it in 1 of his videos !!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Just a thought-
Not that it's anywhere the same, but a 700r4 (4l60e) has 8? Or 10? Clutches (plates?) in drive (direct 'gear') vs 2 clutches in overdrive. A good reason not to tow in overdrive.
Knowing GM engineers, the 4l80e is probably similar. (Turbo 400 with o/d) Transmission guys would know.

Dan'l

sintax

Reaction score
Just a thought-
Not that it's anywhere the same, but a 700r4 (4l60e) has 8? Or 10? Clutches (plates?) in drive (direct 'gear') vs 2 clutches in overdrive. A good reason not to tow in overdrive.
Knowing GM engineers, the 4l80e is probably similar. (Turbo 400 with o/d) Transmission guys would know.

Dan'l

the 4l80e is a stout ass transmission, zero questions there. Its essentially the descendent of the TH400 if you want to look at it that way. They suffer from some of the same OD issues heat though.

sintax

Reaction score
I'm not worried about weight. 100 pounds in a schiada won't be noticed. I like the thought of lower cruise and gear options with the OD.
Is power easier on a Trans in a boat vs car?

yes, easier power wise (since no tq conv the water provides slip), but heat can still be an issue due to constant rpm. Coolers are always a good idea.

motormonkey

Reaction score
4l80 is 178 pounds vs 135 for th400. Those weights are without converter of course. 43 pound difference.
Yes a cooler for sure, it will be nice to keep water jackets in the gear box.

alohajeff

Reaction score
V-Drive Boats are a lot like Trophy Trucks... always under some sort of load. The overdrive roller clutch will need attention. You will kill the stock OD in no time flat in a boat. If you can't find a 4L80 Boat Guru you'll want to talk to someone that builds them for Offroad use... like Steve Cullhane. Then you'll have to figure out the electronics OR ditch them and install a full manual valve body. The TH400 is a dumb animal that does what its told via mechanical controls. The 4L80E will need a manual valve body installed if you don't want it electronically controlled.

Roller Clutch Saver

Aloha

sintax

Reaction score
V-Drive Boats are a lot like Trophy Trucks... always under some sort of load. The overdrive roller clutch will need attention. You will kill the stock OD in no time flat in a boat. If you can't find a 4L80 Boat Guru you'll want to talk to someone that builds them for Offroad use... like Steve Cullhane. Then you'll have to figure out the electronics OR ditch them and install a full manual valve body. The TH400 is a dumb animal that does what its told via mechanical controls. The 4L80E will need a manual valve body installed if you don't want it electronically controlled.

Roller Clutch Saver

Aloha

I pretty much assume hes talking about going full manual reverse VB, I didnt even think about an electronic controller, but it would be doable. See this would get interesting if you were running a LS engine as well, and could hack the TCU to get what you wanted. Push button gear selection. All in all it just seems like a giant headache for what you're getting but i'm totally into strange shit and would love to see it done.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
I pretty much assume hes talking about going full manual reverse VB, I didnt even think about an electronic controller, but it would be doable. See this would get interesting if you were running a LS engine as well, and could hack the TCU to get what you wanted. Push button gear selection. All in all it just seems like a giant headache for what you're getting but i'm totally into strange shit and would love to see it done.
I remember seeing a schiada or vector that was white in color and had a push button gear selector but don’t recall what trans was in it?

alohajeff

Reaction score

Yeah... like a set of steering wheel mounted paddle shifters!

All sorts of bitchin' options but the OD part of the 4L80 still makes me question the driveability. I would expect the V-drive gears would still be selected based on a 1:1 from the transmission and then using the OD to knock the cruising RPM down 25%. That's a BIG drop in RPM so you'd have to be hauling ass for the motor to be able to pull the V-drive gear ratio plus another 25% over drive. That sort of load on the OD in a 4L80 just sounds like a failure looking for a place to happen.

This is a better explanation of what the SONNAX roller clutch fix does and why it or a similar upgrade would be a must have in a boat.

Aloha

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
50CEBA96-B8F8-4BB2-BA0C-14DDD271606F.png
30E4625A-FD54-4B7E-B1E5-5D8FDAD2AD1D.png

Here U go 6 speed TH400

alohajeff

Reaction score
Freight trained motor combo to Freight trained transmission combo = 🤯

Aloha

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Certainly an interesting piece.
I think it's actually a 9 speed not a 6 speed. (1st 1st, 1st 2nd, 1st 3rd, 2nd 1st, 2nd 2nd, 2nd 3rd, 3rd 1st, 3rd 2nd, 3rd 3rd)
It's still 1:1 for final drive.
Yep ur right. !!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Certainly an interesting piece.
I think it's actually a 9 speed not a 6 speed. (1st 1st, 1st 2nd, 1st 3rd, 2nd 1st, 2nd 2nd, 2nd 3rd, 3rd 1st, 3rd 2nd, 3rd 3rd)
It's still 1:1 for final drive.

1st 2nd, and 2nd 1st are the same gear ratio. (2.48 x 1.48 and 1.48 x 2.48.)
Also with 1/3 and 3/1. 2/3 and 3/2.

The combos are there, but totally useless.
That's why its called a six speed.

Dan'l

motormonkey

Reaction score
That twin 400, was that from a guy that raced a buick? I think I've seen that car. I know a 57 Chevy that had twin 350s.

BamBam

Reaction score
1st 2nd, and 2nd 1st are the same gear ratio. (2.48 x 1.48 and 1.48 x 2.48.)
Also with 1/3 and 3/1. 2/3 and 3/2.

The combos are there, but totally useless.
That's why its called a six speed.

Dan'l
OOPS!!! After I typed and read my post I thought about that.