WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5.0 FORD IN A V-DRIVE .

harlanorrin

Reaction score
Has anyone run a 5.0 Ford in a 18' flat bottom v-drive??????
My grandson has a 5.0 Ford engine and wants one of my 18' Sanger v-drive circle race hulls to get into the performance boat scene. What gears and prop are you running?????
HARLAN ORRIN

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Aren't the hard parts to marinize the SBF going to be hard to find? There were some in use by OMC some years ago but I'd think that those are pretty rotten by now.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Aren't the hard parts to marinize the SBF going to be hard to find? There were some in use by OMC some years ago but I'd think that those are pretty rotten by now.

Don't a lot of wakeboard type boats run 302 Fords?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
That very well could be. I know as much about roll boats boats as I do about understanding women..................

That's why I put a question mark on the end. I'm not sure either but I could swear I've seen somewhere that there was a lot of ford powered ones. If so there's gotta be parts from those that will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Backlash

Reaction score
Yes, a lot of older ski boats used Ford engines; both 302's and 351's. Based on the number of hours those boats logged, they appear to have held up quite well. I am unsure whether or not PMC marine engines is still around but they could be helpful. There is also a company "Chicago Engines.com" that seems to have 5.0 parts specifically for marine use. I haven't dealt with that company but it might be helpful. Good luck Sir!

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Yeah they did use the Fords but all the exhaust stuff was cast iron and way ugly for exposed engines but I guess you could get some headers built for it also. They do hold up well in the ski boats but they don't rev them very hard at all so I don't know about using them for racing.

Steve

Nordie

Reaction score
Do 302 & 351 headers work on either head? If so keep an eye out because there are 351 aluminum logs out there.

sixfifty

Reaction score
Our last boat was an '82 american skier. Came stock with a 351 windsor. After we blew it up we put a 5.0 motor out of a 91' mustang and the thing ran great. The hardest part was finding a good spot for the o2 sensors and getting the thing all tuned. The boat runs strong and is very reliable. 5.0boat.jpg 5.0boat1.jpg

ptc

Reaction score
Our last family boat was a Celebrity 22' bowrider BR22 (Crownline now) and they used the OMC /FORD 5.0 liter engines in them. It was a 96" beam boat also and probably weighed in at about 5200 lbs. The motor pulled it well even with a full crew of 6-8 on board. Would run about 4800rpm WOT and do just about 50mph loaded with a 21 pitch 3 blade prop. I put some thru the hull exhaust on it using IMCO stainless bends from the CI manifolds and it sounded great. Blocked off the Y-tube and left it in place. It was a very solid motor.