WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5.3 Vs. 6.2

EmpirE231

Reaction score
starting to do my homework now on a new truck. Most likely will be pulling the trigger late summer, and want to know what you guys think about the 6.2? currently still driving my 2005 1500 Z71 w/ a 5.3.... 200k on the clock... So I know the 5.3 is a pretty damn reliable motor, but considering going 6.2 for something new and a little more juice. I have been eyeballing the GMC 1500 AT4.

looking for feedback.... unless someone can talk me into a new ram 1500.... I was considering one of those and really like their interior..... but have always been a GM guy, and love the look of the new GMC's.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
starting to do my homework now on a new truck. Most likely will be pulling the trigger late summer, and want to know what you guys think about the 6.2? currently still driving my 2005 1500 Z71 w/ a 5.3.... 200k on the clock... So I know the 5.3 is a pretty damn reliable motor, but considering going 6.2 for something new and a little more juice. I have been eyeballing the GMC 1500 AT4.

looking for feedback.... unless someone can talk me into a new ram 1500.... I was considering one of those and really like their interior..... but have always been a GM guy, and love the look of the new GMC's.
Always go with the more powerful engine - 6.2 for the win. I'd wait until the 2022's are out, they are supposed to upgrade the interior/dash design. The current interiors are so low-budget looking compared to the offerings from Ram and Ford.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
No replacement for displacement. The 6.2 seems to run real well and produce good torque. Which is really what ya want.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

I have a 2020 Tahoe with the 6.2. Love it. The manual says to run premium gas instead of regular. But I have ran both.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tahoe with the 6.2. Love it. The manual says to run premium gas instead of regular. But I have ran both.

Nothing to add on a 6.2 but we tow the boat with a 5.3..it was rated higher for 2021 in the Tahoe's than the 6.2s. Idk if that's the same on the trucks. It does just fine with it around havasu...and runs on 87.

8dayz

Reaction score
I own a 6.2 1500 4x4. I have owned the 4.8 and 5.3. I put 200k on both previous drivetrains without a dealer visit for anything other than routine maintenance. I’m currently at 90k on the 6.2 with the same experience. I will only drive a 6.2 from now on. It keeps me out of the diesel $ too haha.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you aren't going to complain about the fuel mileage, get the 6.2. The 5.3 is totally fine though. As far as reliability.. they are exactly the same motor, there is only a handful of different parts between the two.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Always go with the more powerful engine - 6.2 for the win. I'd wait until the 2022's are out, they are supposed to upgrade the interior/dash design. The current interiors are so low-budget looking compared to the offerings from Ram and Ford.

That's good to know... the 2022's should be coming out about the time I'm ready to buy... I hope they don't butcher up with looks of them though.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
If you aren't going to complain about the fuel mileage, get the 6.2. The 5.3 is totally fine though. As far as reliability.. they are exactly the same motor, there is only a handful of different parts between the two.

are they very much the same? what's different
Biggest concern was reliability of the 6.2..... considering I've had really good luck w/ the 5.3

humvkev

Reaction score
I have a 2019 AT4 with the 6.2 and it is great. I have pulled several travel trailers and boats with no problems at all, plenty of reserve power with the 6.2. The 10 speed tranny is working well (knock on wood). My normal MPG is around 14-15 but on the highway not towing I am closer to the 20MPG, but I didn't buy it looking for a high mpg truck. I am very happy with it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
are they very much the same? what's different
Biggest concern was reliability of the 6.2..... considering I've had really good luck w/ the 5.3

Yea almost identical. Different block (bigger bore), pistons are different size, different cam, the head castings are different, that is about it.

It is the exact same engine in that all the sensors, fueling system, ECM, harness etc. between the 2 is same. The 6.2 just has more power with less mileage. The 5.3 with the 10 speed will feel like a rocket compared to your current truck.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have owned a ton of 5.3 trucks over the years as well as a couple 6.0. This time around we went with a 6.2 in my wifes 2020 trail boss.

The thing absolutely rips and i would say the 10 speed is a bigger factor over the 5.3 to 6.2 power increase.

There is no doubt the 6.2 is a monster and makes more jam than the 5.3 and if you can swing it the price increase is worth it but i never felt like the 5.3 was lacking in power.

The 10 speed is buttery smooth and you get lightning fast shifts.

MPG seems to be pretty good at say 75 on flat ground. We have seen 23 mpg. Around town my wife hammers the thing and gets closer to single digits...lol

Personal opinion but i wouldn't own an ecoboost I have amazing luck with the gm engines and i know too many people that have had ecoboost issues. (could be early versions) so when i was shopping 18+ raptors i decided to build a trail boss instead.

BTW...I really like the AT4 but you can fit a bigger tire on the chevy. I ran a 35 on the stock trailboss suspension with nothing more than trimming the mud flaps.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have owned a ton of 5.3 trucks over the years as well as a couple 6.0. This time around we went with a 6.2 in my wifes 2020 trail boss.

The thing absolutely rips and i would say the 10 speed is a bigger factor over the 5.3 to 6.2 power increase.

There is no doubt the 6.2 is a monster and makes more jam than the 5.3 and if you can swing it the price increase is worth it but i never felt like the 5.3 was lacking in power.

MPG seems to be pretty good at say 75 on flat ground. We have seen 23 mpg. Around town my wife hammers the thing and gets closer to single digits...lol

Personal opinion but i wouldn't own an ecoboost I have amazing luck with the gm engines and i know too many people that have had ecoboost issues. (could be early versions) so when i was shopping 18+ raptors i decided to build a trail boss instead.

Thanks for the feedback.... and I agree, I never felt the 5.3 lacking on power.... but my buddy got a 2017 or 18 5.3 with I believe an 8spd trans? and he said it is not peppy at all.....so I was figuring the newer (more gears) trans were robbing the off the line power feel, that the older dumber trucks had?

are you running 91 or 87 at the pump?

I was trying to talk myself into the new ram TRX...... but I just can't do it $$$$$$$$

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Agreed here. The 10 speed is awesome I'm glad they finally put it with the 5.3.

I did beat my friend with a 2020 6.2 GMC in my Ecoboom Ferd though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.... and I agree, I never felt the 5.3 lacking on power.... but my buddy got a 2017 or 18 5.3 with I believe an 8spd trans? and he said it is not peppy at all.....so I was figuring the newer (more gears) trans were robbing the off the line power feel, that the older dumber trucks had?

I was trying to talk myself into the new ram TRX...... but I just can't do it $$$$$$$$

The '17s and '18s had the 6 speed with the 5.3 and are not in the same ballpark. Make sure you test drive a 5.3 with the 10 speed before you decide. I test drove that exact combination (2018 5.3 6 speed) before buying my F150.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

I'm not a fan of the 8 speed but i guarantee a 2017 5.3 with the 8 speed absolutley rips a previous generation 2013 and older 5.3 with the 4 or 6 speed.

I run 91. If you can't afford the extra $7 when filling up a 450hp 6.2 isn't the engine for you...lol ;)

One think i will say is the newer trucks are so much quieter and smoother there could be some placebo effect in play with how fast they are. I had exhaust on my 2014 5.3 and it "sounded" way faster then our stock 6.2. In reality it would be bus lengths in a race.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Agreed here. The 10 speed is awesome I'm glad they finally put it with the 5.3.

I did beat my friend with a 2020 6.2 GMC in my Ecoboom Ferd though.

My BIL and i ran pretty much door to door from 70-100 in his raptor. I was actually surprised. i think whoever gets the jump and finds the right gear would win.

Havazoo

Reaction score
I love my GMC AT4, purchased and set up by Dutton GMC, Riverside
6.2 , exhaust, K&N air intake. 4 1/2 lift w/ 17" Icon wheels on 35's, Trucks a beast.
AT4.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My BIL and i ran pretty much door to door from 70-100 in his raptor. I was actually surprised. i think whoever gets the jump and finds the right gear would win.

That sounds exactly right.

The 3.5 F150s are faster than 3.5 Raptors by a couple truck lengths believe it or not. I was consistently pulling the 2020 GMC 6.2 by 1.5 to 2 trucks.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I love my GMC AT4, purchased and set up by Dutton GMC, Riverside
6.2 , exhaust, K&N air intake. 4 1/2 lift w/ 17" Icon wheels on 35's, Trucks a beast.
View attachment 980875

Good looking truck... I drive by dutton every day on the way to the office... and am always staring at them... sooner or later gonna stop and do the test drive thing and sell myself on bucking up for a new truck.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That sounds exactly right.

The 3.5 F150s are faster than 3.5 Raptors by a couple truck lengths believe it or not. I was consistently pulling the 2020 GMC 6.2 by 1.5 to 2 trucks.

Raptor makes a bit more steam but i imagine the weight and gearing of a standard truck gives it the edge?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
no one going to bite on the new 3.0 duramax? We will probably grab one of those in a tahoe for the wife.

A buddy of mine got one, and was already having some issues... so I'll stay away from that for now.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
as far as AT4 suspension.... is it pretty much a leveling kit? is it an actual suspension kit, or some sort of spacer kit?

My days of modifying a daily driver are over... so pretty much looking for a factory, turnkey clean ride.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Raptor makes a bit more steam but i imagine the weight and gearing of a standard truck gives it the edge?

Yea exactly. And I think it is only the 3.55 geared F150s that show a real advantage. You can get a 3.15 or 3.31 in the F150 that will feel a little lazier.

I also only have 33"s on my truck.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yea almost identical. Different block (bigger bore), pistons are different size, different cam, the head castings are different, that is about it.

It is the exact same engine in that all the sensors, fueling system, ECM, harness etc. between the 2 is same. The 6.2 just has more power with less mileage. The 5.3 with the 10 speed will feel like a rocket compared to your current truck.

I thought the throttle body on the 6.2 is different as well from the 5.3. I saw a YT video about a guy upgrading his throttle body on his 6.2 and someone asked if that would work on the 5.3 and they said no it was not the same.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
as far as AT4 suspension.... is it pretty much a leveling kit? is it an actual suspension kit, or some sort of spacer kit?

My days of modifying a daily driver are over... so pretty much looking for a factory, turnkey clean ride.

Trail boss and AT4 have longer rancho struts/shocks and rear blocks that give it a 2" lift. You can go 33" tires on a at4 stock. Like pictured above you will need a bigger lift to fit 35's if that is what you are after.

They ride ok for a stock truck. Its no raptor in stock form.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Trail boss and AT4 have longer rancho struts/shocks and rear blocks that give it a 2" lift. You can go 33" tires on a at4 stock. Like pictured above you will need a bigger lift to fit 35's if that is what you are after.

They ride ok for a stock truck. Its no raptor in stock form.

gotcha... so what gives the front a 2" lift? is it the equivalent of a torsion key lift? I am surprised they use blocks in the rear an not just a different leaf pack.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I thought the throttle body on the 6.2 is different as well from the 5.3. I saw a YT video about a guy upgrading his throttle body on his 6.2 and someone asked if that would work on the 5.3 and they said no it was not the same.
I believe you are right, it is a slightly different size, and one of those handful of parts sized appropriately for another liter of displacement. Those aren't things you can switch without a retune because it will confuse the truck with more air getting in at a given throttle position.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
gotcha... so what gives the front a 2" lift? is it the equivalent of a torsion key lift? I am surprised they use blocks in the read an not just a different leaf pack.

no torsion keys on half tons. Its a strut/coil with a arms. The strut assembly is 2" longer and i believe they also get different front axles that are a little longer.

They are selling the shit out of these trucks. They workm good offroad but they are basically just a cheap package on a z71 equipped truck. They didn't really go crazy upgrading it. There are talks of a silverado zr2 coming out in 2022. Supposed to have better equipment perhaps electric lockers like the colorado.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I wish I could help but my 2005 6.0 LQ4 just won't quit running flawlessly for me to find out how newer motors perform....

My 2005 5.3 is less than a couple hundred miles from rolling 200k... still runs great... but lifter is ticking.... headliner starting to lift on the sides... etc etc, been trying to avoid buying a new truck for as long as I could......pretty sure the next truck will be around for another 15 years.

PlanB

Reaction score
no one going to bite on the new 3.0 duramax? We will probably grab one of those in a tahoe for the wife.

The wife is getting a new Suburban, and after talking with a buddy who owns a shop that does a lot of diesel work, we are going with the gas motor. He said the DEF system has issues.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
my 06 5.3 had 260xxx on the clock when i traded it in it had the tick but it ran fine. i got the 2020 with a 5.3 and have been completely happy with it. i say look at the ratings for both and decide. i will say my inlaws got the tahoe with the 6.2 in it, and i beat them on mileage everytime.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My 2005 5.3 is less than a couple hundred miles from rolling 200k... still runs great... but lifter is ticking.... headliner starting to lift on the sides... etc etc, been trying to avoid buying a new truck for as long as I could......pretty sure the next truck will be around for another 15 years.

I made that comment a bit tongue in cheek because I actually have another newer truck. I can't bring myself to get rid of my older 6.0. I still use it for lake runs because it has a shell and some other nice aftermarket convenience stuff on it. Runs like a champ and I plan on letting it retire at my lake property as a marina launcher retriever. Only 189,000 one owner miles on it, probably last a life time as just a golf cart that tows to and from the marina....

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I had my 04 5.3 for 14 years and never one issue, best thing I have ever owned, which caused me to buy my 2018 LTZ 5.3 6 speed, and this thing has been perfect for 3 years. You will be surprised at how much bigger it feels, and the power. If you then go 6.2 with the 10 speed, even more so. Since I plan on holding onto this one just as long, I will harass Cole Trickle about the latest and greatest in about 11 years. I wonder if Jason Holley will still be around again for that one ;)

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
A buddy of mine got one, and was already having some issues... so I'll stay away from that for now.
I second this, before I bought my silverado I looked at the 3.0. They have cooling issues and the oil pump is run of a serpentine belt on the backside of the bell housing. 100k and the belt is due for replacement, problem is that the trans has to come out for the job

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
They are all good options... I get a company car at Dutton, and I have had 4 GMC 1500 Denali's 3.0 Duramax Turbo Diesels with the 10 Speed Trans over the last 15 months, and I wouldn't do anything different. Same torque as the 6.2 and the mileage is about 27 on average and as high as 40+ highway.