WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

50' Skater Build for Around the World Record Attempt

Boat Bling

Reaction score
One of our Midwest customers sent me a link to this thread on OSO. I haven't seen it mentioned on RDP outside of a couple speedonthewater features so thought you guys might enjoy it. Thread documents the full build of a 50' Skater designed with the exclusive goal of breaking endurance records including an around the world attempt (currently 45 days)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...5303-start-finish-building-our-50-skater.html

The detail work is on an entirely different level, with systems designed for redundancy without compromising weight. So many little issues which could normally be overlooked but would kill you 1000 miles from land.

Oh, and with electronic transmissions and autopilot it can be operated by remote control if needed lol

Here are some highlights:

4 axle trailer with independently controlled air ride. Pull 2 up to clear tight corner, 1 up to change tire, etc
Image1460818977.693339.jpg
Image1460818988.773077.jpg

Duramax based engines. Clear valve covers to troubleshoot
Image1460819058.759446.jpg

Owner has full machine shop & completely designed & built transmission from scratch
Image1460819118.598142.jpg

Blanks before being cut into gears
Image1460819181.245708.jpg

1 off bolt made from stainless bar
Image1460819199.232532.jpg

When std fuel fills won't cut it. Just make your own that can't scratch paint or fall off when the chain breaks.
Image1460819199.232532.jpg

-Zack

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Oops, mixed up a pic. Stainless 1-off bolt
Image1460819586.121174.jpg

-Zack

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I had read the whole thread up to current. It is nothing short of AMAZING. The guy Tyson (I have only read the one thread) never met him - is an absolute stud. I hope they make it to DS so we get to see this piece of engineering history. :thumbup:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
There is that element but reading the thread it becomes apparent the guy is extremely skilled and really ballsy.

If he is making his own gearboxes and gears, I have no doubt. But you still need the jing to do it, and BUY the boat.

I have a machineshop and can make any of the mechanical parts, but doubtful I could pay cash for a 50' skater. :)

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
If he is making his own gearboxes and gears, I have no doubt. But you still need the jing to do it, and BUY the boat.

I have a machineshop and can make any of the mechanical parts, but doubtful I could pay cash for a 50"skater. :)

I guess the thing that freaks me out on the whole deal is there is a really good chance you may not walk away from an endeavor like this. You read all scenarios he is laying out. IDK - I am a lake boater. :D

This is all separate from 1 and 2 requirements hashed out above. Are you and are you talking your wife into this? My wife said no thank you. :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
A 50' boat is pretty small when you get out to the big blue.

No thanks really.

I guess the thing that freaks me out on the whole deal is there is a really good chance you may not walk away from an endeavor like this. You read all scenarios he is laying out. IDK - I am a lake boater. :D

This is all separate from 1 and 2 requirements hashed out above. Are you and are you talking your wife into this? My wife said no thank you. :D

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
A 50' boat is pretty small when you get out to the big blue.

No thanks really.

If you have the time read the thread. It gives a whole new perspective. You will not be able to stop reading the thread.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Been hooked on this thread too. The guy holds degrees in acoustical, mechanical, and electrical engineering and runs Apex Manufacturing and Design. He broke the Bermuda to New York record in his Skater Vee bottom that is a nice piece as well. Pretty amazing stuff. :thumbsup

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Howard Arnenson, founder of the famed Arnenson Drives, has gone over 100,000 miles at over 100 mph. Much of it in the open ocean. But, not even he ever tried to go around the world. I've admired, and have had the utmost respect for Skaters for many years. Phenomenal boats. But IMHO, no 50' power boat should attempt, nor is it made, to go around the world. I wish them well.

I didn't read the entire thread. Was there mention of a fuel centrifuge? On longer range vessels, daily usage fuel is stored in a "day tank". All fuel used and returned is only from/to that tank. Typically there are also seperate port and starboard day tanks. All fuel entering that tank(s) is "spun", eliminating any water and impurities, prior to going into the tank(s).

MSum661

Reaction score
People like this never cease to amaze me with their desires to do something Great like this!
Around the World attempt in a 50' Skater.....Wow! That is awesome.
Fingers crossed they pull it off!

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
In my opinion, one of the best boating threads ever posted. The amount of detail and passion is unbelievable. Wish them the best, going to be very cool to follow them along their journey.

TCHB

Reaction score
I wonder why he did not pic Gas Turbines for power.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Over the years I have talked to Tyson several times and he is a unique person...always looking for a challenge. Hope him the best on his journey and to Pete @ Skater for his amazing expertise.

OR`

Singleton

Reaction score
He planned on bringing it to DS, but based on progress don't see that occurring. Hopefully next year

JDKRXW

Reaction score
a 50' Skater designed with the exclusive goal of breaking endurance records including an around the world attempt (currently 45 days)
-Zack

I've always been interested in circumnavigations. The 45 day current record you refer to isn't a power boat...... it's a sailboat. And it's totally badass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banque_Populaire_V

The powerboat record isn't even in the same ballpark...... 60+ days.
There's lots of 50' (and under) boats that are reasonably safe in the deep blue...... but a planing power boat isn't one of them.

Good luck to this fellow.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Money ain't a thang for this guy. Good luck to him.