500 Brownie points

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
To the first person who can tell me the torque rating for this 4cylinder
20201210_114607.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
beat me by a few seconds but since your leaving your Brownie points on the table , I'll take them.

old rigger

Reaction score
Great little motors. Whatcha puttin it in there hot rod?

I've heard nothing but bad things about them when compared to the smaller 110, 120 and 140 engines. Best thing about them is the cross flow 460 Ford head.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Great little motors. Whatcha puttin it in there hot rod?

Out of a Carver 270 Santego. Powered by twins in front of 1st generation alphas.

I just love seeing old oddball shit like these : D

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm just a young dumb American who loves visiting. These are cool, but I still rather have a v8

ford 4x429

Reaction score
I cant remember the différance for 4 cyl ... think offset pins in pistons?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but bad things about them when compared to the smaller 110, 120 and 140 engines. Best thing about them is the cross flow 460 Ford head.
They are aluminum blocks with a harmonics problem. But I still think they're cool. Chevy bellhousing pattern. Be totally cool in a track T.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I had a guy in Oregon when I was there with my shop and he would buy all that I could find or get for him. He used them in roundy round cars and some straight shooters. They were great engines but all the ice-cream hung on them were shit. The charging system was a fricking mess and the original 3" exchangers wouldn't cool them enough so they went to 4".
I worked on and rebuilt a ton of them. The front timing cover water pump seal was a culprit leaking water into the crankcase and it was a PITA to change out. I still work on one for a friend and it runs like a top. They had lots of various designations, I just called them 1/2 a Ford with some chevy parts. 🤷‍♂️

And BTW, one can't put an aftermarket charging system, IE Sierra, on that one in the pic with the power steering.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Many years ago Lance H the rigger at Warlock and offshore boat racer extrordinare put a turbo on one of those and installed it in a 4 seat sand rail. It ran pretty good👍

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I had a guy in Oregon when I was there with my shop and he would buy all that I could find or get for him. He used them in roundy round cars and some straight shooters. They were great engines but all the ice-cream hung on them were shit. The charging system was a fricking mess and the original 3" exchangers wouldn't cool them enough so they went to 4".
I worked on and rebuilt a ton of them. The front timing cover water pump seal was a culprit leaking water into the crankcase and it was a PITA to change out. I still work on one for a friend and it runs like a top. They had lots of various designations, I just called them 1/2 a Ford with some chevy parts. 🤷‍♂️

And BTW, one can't put an aftermarket charging system, IE Sierra, on that one in the pic with the power steering.

I suppose that would explain why only one engine had the alternator conversion. I just thought the previous owner was a cheap ass