WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

500efi High oil pressure?

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
2001 500efi 218 hrs. Runs about 60psi @ idle and low rpm. Over 4k start seeing 75-80psi. Is this in normal range? Mobile 1 15w-50 w/ Wix racing filter.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
That really depends on your oil pump and what pressure its set to deliver, assuming there are no other abnormal restrictions in the system and you have the right size bearings. It also depends on the oil weight you run. Teague sets his motors up about the same way, he has always advocated for bigger clearances and lots of oil to keep things floating. I think you're seeing a good range.

Car motors on the other hand, they go by the rule of 10lbs for every 1K rpm, which after being in a boat almost freaks me out. Especially at idle in the car where I swear its like 5lbs. And these days they run oil the consistency of water for those fuel economy numbers...

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking over the manual and couldn’t find anything. Just seems like the oil pressure is way higher than any car or boat motor I’ve witnessed in the passed. I was told that too much oil pressure could be a problem sign. Maybe that only applies to lower pressure motors, idk.

mswasey

Reaction score
Not sure about high psi, but here’s my experience for your reference. My ‘99 500efi runs about 20psi at idle and 60psi at 3500, higher with RPM’s. I’m running Kendall 40wt, which I believe is the recommended weight from Merc.
When I bought the boat several years ago, it had some other weight oil in it and the pressure would go below 10psi at idle and even set off the alarm.