WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

540 Rebuild Thread. Step by step

wet hull

Reaction score
Headed to Havasu on 27th to pull boat back to San Diego. My 540 needs to be torn down. Last trip of year burnt more oil then normal. Boat ran great but where did my oil go? Compression test showed #5 and #7 at 75psi. Leak down showed #7 leaking further. Motor is 11 years old and I put a ton of hours on it. Wanted my mechanic to do the work but in the end decided it would be a fun project. Mechanic will be my consultant though the refresh. I will be asking lots of questions along the way here. Built a few motors but not a expert at all. It may just need new rings and gaskets. It will be getting all normal wear items replace. Block checked and honed. Heads gone though and so on. I may bore to a 555. Not sure yet. I will take pictures from the beginning to end. I am in no rush. 1st trip is desert storm

Attachments

• 20210906_085057.jpg
    20210906_085057.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 131

sonicss31

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. Years ago when I built the engines in my Sonic I wanted to assemble them myself. The machine shop I used was close to retirement so he said he would do all the machine work to block, rods, pistons etc. I had him do the heads at his place. He came to my house to degree the cams and when it was time for initial startup he also came over to assist. Hard to find people like that anymore. RIP Brad Wallace.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Pro tip #1 Get the block honed with a torque plate. Also know that you don't necessarily have to do a .030" bore, you might just get it honed a few thousandths to where they all clean up, and have pistons made for that size bore.

There are a lot of specialized tools necessary to measure everything correctly. You probably should be planning on replacing all valves and springs.

Riverryder

Reaction score
If you bore it will you need more speakers for 3 dunes?
Hahaha

Good luck! I will be following!
With the amount of money I spent on my rebuild I wish I would have just bought another motor!

wet hull

Reaction score
Thanks for tips. A good buddy who builds motors and has all speciality tools. Valves and springs are getting replaced. Assuming rocker arms I can re use if in good shape? Replacing rods. I dont mind replacing anything you recommend. I am not looking to cut any corners or do cheap. I want done right.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Subscribed!

I hope you dont run into the same supply chain issues as some of the other motor builders are faced with and can make Desert Storm.

I dropped my motor off at a builder I have used in the past back in August and told him, I dont care how long it takes as long as I have my complete motor back in March.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Stupid but also don’t forget to measure for correct push rods, and then replace, often overlooked part.

Hope it’s a hone and rings, then do bearings but if not as we’ve spoke the 555 sounds cool, and as high as your exhaust is will sound real cool.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for tips. A good buddy who builds motors and has all speciality tools. Valves and springs are getting replaced. Assuming rocker arms I can re use if in good shape? Replacing rods. I dont mind replacing anything you recommend. I am not looking to cut any corners or do cheap. I want done right.
If it's got aftermarket connecting rods, you can probably have them mag checked and use them again.

Depending on what rocker arms, and if they check out, you could use them again. Also depending on what brand they are you can send them in and have them checked and rebuilt if necessary.

wet hull

Reaction score
If it's got aftermarket connecting rods, you can probably have them mag checked and use them again.

Depending on what rocker arms, and if they check out, you could use them again. Also depending on what brand they are you can send them in and have them checked and rebuilt if necessary.
Thanks for heads up. Everything in this motor is upgraded and American made. Not sure of exact parts yet. Steve Faller from Flat Tops marine built it. He would not compromise on internals and I got a solid 11 years out of it. Once I start tear down I will post all parts used

wet hull

Reaction score
Time to start. Got boat back to my shop in CA. Built a drive stand yesterday and attached a tow ball to my bobcat forklift to make life easier.

For the motor builders. What are your thoughts on piston oiling jets? Was watching some videos on them and seem like a no brainer to have installed while block is at machine shop.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Time to start. Got boat back to my shop in CA. Built a drive stand yesterday and attached a tow ball to my bobcat forklift to make life easier.

For the motor builders. What are your thoughts on piston oiling jets? Was watching some videos on them and seem like a no brainer to have installed while block is at machine shop.
Maybe if you were racing the engine with a dry sump system, not something normally done in a lake boat that has oil splashing around.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Maybe if you were racing the engine with a dry sump system, not something normally done in a lake boat that has oil splashing around.
Barry do you do any complete from scratch builds?

wet hull

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. There are so many new technologies since my motor was built that I dont want to miss out on anything beneficial while its apart.

farmo83

Reaction score

I asked Bob Teague about these when discussing my build. His exact response was "old news." He said with advances in oil their isn't any benefit to running them.

Take it for what it's worth.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Barry do you do any complete from scratch builds?
Sure I do, those are some of my favorites. I haven't been spending the time to photograph and post. I actually plan to look around and see what cranks and rods are currently available to build a 540 to have ready to sell.

wet hull

Reaction score
Sure I do, those are some of my favorites. I haven't been spending the time to photograph and post. I actually plan to look around and see what cranks and rods are currently available to build a 540 to have ready to sell.
You will be a great asset in this thread. Thanks for being a sounding board. Some questions may be real dumb but bare with me.

Backlash

Reaction score
Looks good to begin with! I'll be watching this thread too, so feel free to bombard us with pictures. 😁👍

lenmann

Reaction score
We are officially started. Hoping to have motor on engine stand by Sat. Waiting for it to arrive. Everywhere was sold out. Fingers crossed wont need any long lead time items. View attachment 1077490 View attachment 1077491 View attachment 1077492 View attachment 1077493 View attachment 1077494 View attachment 1077495 View attachment 1077496 View attachment 1077497

Following this thread, cant wait for the next chapter. Why? Well it's boating content, and technical stuff. Not politics, not Covid...

Oh, and thanks for cleaning the lens on your phone for the last pic. As I age I cant tell if it's my eyes or the pics that look like someone is using a "star effect" filter or maybe just has a smear of oil on the lens cause they are actually working on something. I gonna go with "working on something" in this case.

Last edited:

wet hull

Reaction score
Following this thread, cant wait for the next chapter. Why? Well it's boating content, and technical stuff. Not politics, not Covid...

Oh, and thanks for cleaning the lens on your phone for the last pic. As I age I cant tell if it's my eyes or the pics that look like someone is using a "star effect" filter or maybe just has a smear of oil on the lens cause they are actually working one something. I gonna go with "working on something" in this case.
Hahaha. I just realized my lens was dirty. Better pics to follow.

wet hull

Reaction score
Good day today. I got everything torn down to a short block. No immediate signs of anything broken are abnormally worn. Head gaskets showed no signs of being blown. Piston tops are burnt/ some kind of build up on them. Same with valves. Hand cranking motor and everything turns
20220102_161703.jpg
20220102_161652.jpg
20220102_182924.jpg
20220102_182904.jpg
20220102_182956.jpg
20220102_182944.jpg
20220102_182932.jpg
20220102_183246.jpg
20220102_183220.jpg
20220102_182655.jpg
20220102_183052.jpg
over smooth. Big question. I watched a video and the guy mentioned if you use a torque wrench when turning over you should have around 25-35 ft lbs of resistance. Mine rotated at 0. If this is a true statement then is it safe to say my piston rings are worn out? Cylinder 5 and 7 did leak down before tear down started. Thanks for any advice or input.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Well if it was using a lot of oil, that is likely why, no tension on the rings.

Good on you for not running it until it popped and staying on top of it!

wet hull

Reaction score
Well if it was using a lot of oil, that is likely why, no tension on the rings.

Good on you for not running it until it popped and staying on top of it!
Thanks. With the cost of these things I really pay attention to oil level, and any sounds I am not used to. It has saved me more then once. Will be very excited if worn rings are my big issue.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Thanks. With the cost of these things I really pay attention to oil level, and any sounds I am not used to. It has saved me more then once. Will be very excited if worn rings are my big issue.

Yea with no major damage, this should be a slam dunk for the most part.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yea have the heads gone through, cleaned and make sure they don’t need decked. Pull the rotating assembly and hone holes toss back together with new rings

wet hull

Reaction score
Short block and heads are at the machine shop. Went with Mesa Machine in Escondido. Came highly recommended and got the immediate sense these old timers know their stuff. They are about a month until I can even dream of getting it back. For the experts. What ring gap do you like on your piston rings? Spring tension and any other tolerances you have found to be optimal. Thanks

wet hull

Reaction score
Need some opinions. Decided while apart to bore out and get new pistons. Currently have JE Race series. What are the newest and most reliable on market today for a 700hp application?

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Need some opinions. Decided while apart to bore out and get new pistons. Currently have JE Race series. What are the newest and most reliable on market today for a 700hp application?

CP Pistons hands down. NA pump gas motor you could save a couple bucks with their Bullet line. Hit up "Pistonmaker" Bryan

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Short block and heads are at the machine shop. Went with Mesa Machine in Escondido. Came highly recommended and got the immediate sense these old timers know their stuff. They are about a month until I can even dream of getting it back. For the experts. What ring gap do you like on your piston rings? Spring tension and any other tolerances you have found to be optimal. Thanks

Ring gap depends on the bore and the type of ring/manufacturers specs but typically .032 to .035.... and low tension oil rings

wet hull

Reaction score
Ring gap depends on the bore and the type of ring/manufacturers specs but typically .032 to .035.... and low tension oil rings
That's where my research has led me. Thanks for any other info you can provide. I talked to Matt today and looks like you guys have everything I need in stock minus pistons. Need to order valve kit, oil pan gasket and other items as a example.

wet hull

Reaction score
That's where my research has led me. Thanks for any other info you can provide. I talked to Matt today and looks like you guys have everything I need in stock minus pistons. Need to order valve kit, oil pan gasket and other items as a example.
My deadline is week before Desert Storm

Teague_JR

Reaction score
FYI I dont work at TCM anymore, but they have the BBC parts game figured out and Matt will definitely take care of you.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Racetec - HB easy pick up. The boys there will take care of you contact Jeremy

CP Carrillo is nice shit too

wet hull

Reaction score
Rings are worn out. When the tops of the pistons are clean on the edges it is a sign of oil washing.
Never heard that. All sign point to rings which is great.

John Taylor

Reaction score
I recently had a 502 mag mpi rebuilt and turned into a carbed 540. Closed cooling. Dart cnc heads , a really nice engine making 711 horsepower at 5600 and 712 tq at 4700. That was turning all accys and dyno headers. I had bought a new set of EMI exhaust. We then installed the EMIs and it knocked 70 horsepower off. Not knocking the product , it’s great for a stock or mildly modified engine but on what you are building I would look at replacing the exhaust. I went over to Stainless Marine and went with their Gen3 setup. I hated dropping the coin but the motor was really being choked …

wet hull

Reaction score
I recently had a 502 mag mpi rebuilt and turned into a carbed 540. Closed cooling. Dart cnc heads , a really nice engine making 711 horsepower at 5600 and 712 tq at 4700. That was turning all accys and dyno headers. I had bought a new set of EMI exhaust. We then installed the EMIs and it knocked 70 horsepower off. Not knocking the product , it’s great for a stock or mildly modified engine but on what you are building I would look at replacing the exhaust. I went over to Stainless Marine and went with their Gen3 setup. I hated dropping the coin but the motor was really being choked …
Thats interesting with EMI. Did you have the stainless risers? Mine does and they say its needed over 500hp. How much hp did your new exhaust rob compared to EMI? Definitely not in budget to swap exhaust. I still need a -2 lower case and lower gear set. Rest I will swap from my current setup.

John Taylor

Reaction score
Yeah , the long 16 inch risers , not through the hull. I am unsure of the new exhaust , lol. the manifolds and risers are mounted but I am waiting on the tailpipes to be fabricated.. they are going to be 4.5 inches and through the hull. The engine builder has dyno’d several of their setups and horsepower loss should be in the 20 to 30 range. And it’s not so much the horsepower loss as it is getting the afr’s dialed in with the carb !

DaveH

Reaction score
What do you recommend? These work fine from what I can tell. Know nothing about injectors.
those are stone age injectors, terrible flow patter (atomization) and consistency within a set of 8.

would need to know what your HP target is, but likely a siemnes/deka 60lb, very reasonable $$

Teague_JR

Reaction score
those are stone age injectors, terrible flow patter (atomization) and consistency within a set of 8.

would need to know what your HP target is, but likely a siemnes/deka 60lb, very reasonable $$

agreed

wet hull

Reaction score

I currently sit around 650hp. Hoping with a bit more compression I can get it up including torque.