WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

57 Schiada Wood decker

GGames

Reaction score
I have been looking for a project for quite some time now... Boy did I find one. I guess I will let the pictures do the talking.
*Special thanks:
- Lee Spindler for letting me know Harlan had this.
- Dave Sammons for the helpful info/pics and guidance for purchasing this boat.
- Harlan Orrin for saving this boat from rotting in a field and starting the restoration on it. The new wood deck looks absolutely beautiful.
Orrins Marina sign.jpg Wood Deck.jpg Harlan saying good bye.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
The only finish Harlan put on the wood deck was a water resistant coat. Now the deck needs to be varnished and finished.

The sides of the boat also need to be Gel coated (White).

The inside of the boat is epoxy painted... I need to figure out what to do with this... I don't like the look of this at all. I am hoping for black stringers and wood inlays to match the wood deck. Any recommendations / Suggestions?

Epoxy Painted Floors.jpg

Attachments

• Epoxy coat interior.jpg
    Epoxy coat interior.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 575
  • Epoxy coat interior 2.jpg
    Epoxy coat interior 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 607

Boat211

Reaction score
Oh this will be cool. I'll be following this for sure.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
I love this boat...I'm in...I don't have enough knowledge on what to do on the inside, can't wait to see what you do.:thumbsup

BamBam

Reaction score
It appears to me to be a wood boat not just a wood decker. I know the really early Schiada boats were all wood. I know it's no big deal. I love seeing beautiful old things being brought back to life. I will keep an eye on this project.

GGames

Reaction score
It appears to me to be a wood boat not just a wood decker. I know the really early Schiada boats were all wood. I know it's no big deal. I love seeing beautiful old things being brought back to life. I will keep an eye on this project.

I guess I didn't emphasize That... but you are correct.

Backlash

Reaction score
Badass for sure!!! Congratulations on the purchase! ;) Can't wait to watch this snowball! :D

Cotton

Livin' The Life!
Reaction score
Wow! What a find...what a piece of history! Wouldn't that be neat if this boat could be the lead boat in a cruise/parade at the Regatta at some point? It's got to be one of the oldest Schiadas I've ever heard of. --- RESPECT!

lenmann

Reaction score
Very cool classic lines, subscribed.

Hoping you post too many pics of the process.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
It looks to be a glass boat?? No battens and the normal wood slats inside. My only concern is trying to make it look too new...like black stringer and balsa or anything like that..

Maybe inlay plywood in the floor..maybe 1/4" and then glass that in..that would look period correct anyway...and then figure out how to strip the stringers and get them back to natural??

Just some thoughts...it wont be a cheap build for sure...

I take that back...it does look like a wood boat..just not built like I'm used to seeing...in that case I would sand the inside and put the reddish stain in it like the Chris Crafts and such have...or sand it all back to natural wood and clear varnish...wow would that be lots of work...

rivergames

Reaction score
Hey Greg, you wanted someone cheep and easy, take it over to Lou in Idaho. Actually take it to Parker in a few weeks and let him bring it back to Idaho

Don't pick it up until its cherry! His brother Pat will make sure he gets it done right! :tbi

;):cool

And hey Lou, its a wood boat. I too thought the bottom and sides were glass. It is wood wrapped in glass.

wildhorse

Reaction score
Wow until seeing this I didn't know that the boat I grew up with was a Schiada. My uncle had it and is in our family pics and home movies going back to the early 60's. It was powered by a Packard that was punched out and it was a screamer. I remember him telling me that it was the only big block back when he built his boat. It was Red with a gold stripe on it and was named after a radio show character back when "Booger Red." He never lost a race on a lake with it until it flipped on San Antonio Lake in CA in around 1972. It was rebuilt, but later abandoned. I'll be watching this thread with interest.....

GGames

Reaction score
Wow until seeing this I didn't know that the boat I grew up with was a Schiada. My uncle had it and is in our family pics and home movies going back to the early 60's. It was powered by a Packard that was punched out and it was a screamer. I remember him telling me that it was the only big block back when he built his boat. It was Red with a gold stripe on it and was named after a radio show character back when "Booger Red." He never lost a race on a lake with it until it flipped on San Antonio Lake in CA in around 1972. It was rebuilt, but later abandoned. I'll be watching this thread with interest.....

Are you saying this boat belonged to you uncle? If or if not... lets see some pics!

GGames

Reaction score
It looks to be a glass boat?? No battens and the normal wood slats inside. My only concern is trying to make it look too new...like black stringer and balsa or anything like that..

Maybe inlay plywood in the floor..maybe 1/4" and then glass that in..that would look period correct anyway...and then figure out how to strip the stringers and get them back to natural??

Just some thoughts...it wont be a cheap build for sure...

I take that back...it does look like a wood boat..just not built like I'm used to seeing...in that case I would sand the inside and put the reddish stain in it like the Chris Crafts and such have...or sand it all back to natural wood and clear varnish...wow would that be lots of work...

I would inlay the same wood to match the deck.

wildhorse

Reaction score
Are you saying this boat belonged to you uncle? If or if not... lets see some pics!

I'll dig a couple out of my parents photo albums tonight when we go over there for dinner. I'm not saying this boat is Booger Red, but it sure looks like it going from memory. It's been over 40 years since I've seen it, but is looks like the same hull design and era if nothing else. There is something about Booger Red though that is bugging me that might be different. Where the instrument panel for lack of a better word met the top deck I think it was arched slightly on both driver and passenger side sort of an very understated m shape. Very vague memories though as I'm trying to visualize it now.

Nailhead

Reaction score
Keep it as period correct as you can. it'll be so much more classy like like an old Chris Craft or even a Gar-wood. Awesome find

GGames

Reaction score
I'll dig a couple out of my parents photo albums tonight when we go over there for dinner. I'm not saying this boat is Booger Red, but it sure looks like it going from memory. It's been over 40 years since I've seen it, but is looks like the same hull design and era if nothing else. There is something about Booger Red though that is bugging me that might be different. Where the instrument panel for lack of a better word met the top deck I think it was arched slightly on both driver and passenger side sort of an very understated m shape. Very vague memories though as I'm trying to visualize it now.

That would be awesome if you could do that.

*** Remember: Harlan Orrin re-did the deck, so he may or may not have changed some minor detailed about the deck design as well. But looking at the pre-Wood deck restoration.. it looks like he did it very close to original.
Starboard pre-resto.jpg Transom pre-orrins resto.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
Keep it as period correct as you can. it'll be so much more classy like like an old Chris Craft or even a Gar-wood. Awesome find

If I don't keep it .C (Period Correct) I think a lot of people are going to try and break my legs... I bought the boat with the white paint on the inside. I wish he would have just left it bare wood. Like the picture below. This was after he walnut shelled it to remove the flaking wood.

Walnut shelled interior.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
There's probably only going to be one way to get that epoxy off the inside of the hull and it won't be pretty or easy. You may end up grinding that all off and if you do, you may have to repair any damage done during that process. I understand where you're coming from as I would want to see the wood too. But I think that is going to be a huge undertaking that is worth the effort simply because of what this boat is.

wildhorse

Reaction score
That would be awesome if you could do that.

*** Remember: Harlan Orrin re-did the deck, so he may or may not have changed some minor detailed about the deck design as well. But looking at the pre-Wood deck restoration.. it looks like he did it very close to original.
View attachment 508808 View attachment 508807

Okay I don't have the pics because my dads cell failed to email them to me. I'll try again tomorrow. He's 78 and I gotta be patient with his computer prowess.... I talked to him about the boat though.

Booger Red was not a Schiada, but it sure looks like one. A man named Art Davidson was going into the boat building business and this was the second hull he built. I'll put up the pics still and you'll be blown away at the resemblance.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Okay I don't have the pics because my dads cell failed to email them to me. I'll try again tomorrow. He's 78 and I gotta be patient with his computer prowess.... I talked to him about the boat though.

Booger Red was not a Schiada, but it sure looks like one. A man named Art Davidson was going into the boat building business and this was the second hull he built. I'll put up the pics still and you'll be blown away at the resemblance.

Might have been Jack Davidson..he built quite a few wood boats prior to doing glass boats..which were built it Sanger, CA..

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
These old wood boats normally ended up with "floor boards" in them...either covered in vinyl tuck and roll..(the really custom ones" or they were finished in varnish..or they could be carpeted. So I don't know how much money I would spend on stripping current floor when most applications would cover them...

It's interesting like I said yesterday...it must be what they term a "stitch and glue plywood boat"...I'm no expert but I am old..

[video=youtube;XKbrIfuZ7a8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKbrIfuZ7a8[/video]

wildhorse

Reaction score
Might have been Jack Davidson..he built quite a few wood boats prior to doing glass boats..which were built it Sanger, CA..

Nah, the guy was definely Art Davidson. He played poker at my uncles house on the weekends, and this was in So. Cal. I thought him and my uncle built the boat from a hull they bought, but Art made it.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Nah, the guy was definely Art Davidson. He played poker at my uncles house on the weekends, and this was in So. Cal. I thought him and my uncle built the boat from a hull they bought, but Art made it.

Cool info...that's how things are kept current and handed down to the youngsters..thanks

GGames

Reaction score
Since I am on hold for a little bit as far as the gel coating goes... I am hoping to get some work done to the trailer this weekend. As you can see, some people may not think it is suitable to tow such a boat with this set up.
Towed home condition.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
Today I got the bunks on. I used a good hard wood (White oak) as the risers and some home chepo treated 2" x 6" as the bunks. The bunks are not bolted down yet, I just stuck the bolts through to make sure they fit right. I still have to sand the risers and coat to protect them from the water. I made these riser pieces from copying the old, rotted & broken pieces that Harlan gave me....
Next - get the trailer powder coated and some old school rims on her. Threw in a picture of my helper of the day as well.. he is so Photogenic:drool

White oak Starboard.jpg White oak rear risers.jpg White oak front risers.jpg My Helper.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Maaaaan the trouble I could get into with access to a shop like this! :D

It's looking good thanks for the updates!!

GGames

Reaction score
Although the Halibrand V-Drive was made next door to me in Culver City way back when, I am contemplating switching over to a Casale Top loader to achieve F-N-R function. It would still be period correct from what I understand, as well be more functional for recreational boating / bar docking. Now starts the hunt to find one in good condition. Any leads anyone?

Backlash

Reaction score
Thought I just saw one on CL the other day. Either in L.A. or I.E. I cant remember!!

Keep us updated with pictures as a lot of us are looking forward to this project!!

Henry

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Greg...I'm old so I have lots of opinions..don't do the FNR Casale..they are cumbersome and act like your banging gears. Put a velvet drive in it...they are from the era and work like glass..I can find you the top loader but I think it would be mistake.

For explanation let me try to explain...the crash box reverse is a bang...and then a roll over the transom wave...the velvet drive and be slipped in and out and no bang or wave over the back...SMOOTH operation..JMO..worth five cents

GGames

Reaction score
Greg...I'm old so I have lots of opinions..don't do the FNR Casale..they are cumbersome and act like your banging gears. Put a velvet drive in it...they are from the era and work like glass..I can find you the top loader but I think it would be mistake.

For explanation let me try to explain...the crash box reverse is a bang...and then a roll over the transom wave...the velvet drive and be slipped in and out and no bang or wave over the back...SMOOTH operation..JMO..worth five cents

I appreciate the wise knowledge. Do you have a recommended Velvet model for a SBC?

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I appreciate the wise knowledge. Do you have a recommended Velvet model for a SBC?

72C I believe...just make sure its 1:1 ratio..you will love it I promise...you would never use reverse in the Casale..I also believe the 71C would also work. You can find them for around 500.00.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
72C I believe...just make sure its 1:1 ratio..you will love it I promise...you would never use reverse in the Casale..I also believe the 71C would also work. You can find them for around 500.00.

I found one for you...500.00 with bell housing and dampner plate...I can give you the guys info if you want it..

GGames

Reaction score
I found one for you...500.00 with bell housing and dampner plate...I can give you the guys info if you want it..

Sure. Shoot me a PM. Another board member has one for sale in the Valley.. I will be checking that out as well.

GGames

Reaction score
Had to call in the welder Rivergames to tack some washers on for the wiring and construct a Rutter guard.

Next... replace the trailer coupler and send her off to get color.

20160914_195255.jpg

When you have a tile warehouse... tile turns into wedges..

20160914_193723.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Looking good! You guys are blessed to have such a nice area to work in. Sure beats crawling around on the hot concrete outside! :D

BamBam

Reaction score
I gotta ask.

Is there a '57 Tow rig in the works to complete the era correct theme? That would be really cool...

GGames

Reaction score
I gotta ask.

Is there a '57 Tow rig in the works to complete the era correct theme? That would be really cool...
One thing at a time... but I sure hope so!

wildhorse

Reaction score
Okay here's thread drift again, but I grabbed my dads phone tonight and texted the pics to myself. This was my uncle Chet in Booger Red at Naucimento Lake near Paso Robles, CA around 1962. Check out the Packard with 4 two barrel carbs.....
image.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
Okay here's thread drift again, but I grabbed my dads phone tonight and texted the pics to myself. This was my uncle Chet in Booger Red at Naucimento Lake near Paso Robles, CA around 1962. Check out the Packard with 4 two barrel carbs.....
View attachment 512067

That is badass!

Backlash

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with. Back to the trailer and the rudder guard......did you add additional bracing or channel to strengthen that up? Not knocking the build I'm just curious is all! OK, curious AND jealous! :D