WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

57 Schiada Wood decker

GGames

Reaction score
Picked up this 1963 401 Nailhead Friday night. All the guts have been rebuilt. I would like to get a Tri-power set up on it and ditch the red powder coating for polish. I also got my hands on a 72C Velvet drive I bought off Mike Motormonkey on Saturday morning.

Now I am on the hunt for Nailhead parts. If anyone knows where to find please let me know.

- Bellhousing for Nailhead to Velvet...
- Exhaust logs
- and lots more...

Add On CL.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Nail Heads are way cool, I see if my Dad has any leads on Parts, he has had this one in the wood decker since 65'

Attachments

• DSCF5417.JPG
    DSCF5417.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 280

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I'll lost a bunch of rigging shots but ill grab some as its pretty dam clean, floors and bulk head are all mahogany as well, Ken Meyers at B&K did this back in the 90's. Good luck with your project. Some old school Buick parts were made by Cal Marine, may get lucky doing some ebay searches.

Attachments

• 4.1.jpg
    4.1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF1567.JPG
    DSCF1567.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 275

rivergames

Reaction score
Nail Heads are way cool, I see if my Dad has any leads on Parts, he has had this one in the wood decker since 65'

What's up bud! Hope all the plumbing is working out for ya :thumbsup

It looks like you pops runs the driveshaft off the front of the motor (timing chain side) rather than the bell-housing. Why is that? That's a beautiful boat!

GGames

Reaction score
I have been scumming around looking for parts for the Nailhead. It seems like everything is obsolete. Although, if you ask the right people or get lucky enough you can find the knowledge and parts you are looking for. Still need exhaust logs if anyone has any!

Found this Rare Cragar Bellhousing that converts a 401 Nailhead to an Early Ford Trans. The 72C Velvet drive and the early Ford trans have the same bolt pattern. Just need a steel fly wheel, flex plate to complete that section. Glenwood gave me a number to this guy "Steve" very informative. He said I also need a Trans adapter he sells for $150 bucks... Need to get back with him on that. Anyone have any info on this?
Nailhead to Fort Trans Bellhousing.jpg

I called Glenwood to see if they had the bellhousing above ( before I bought that one)... while she was looking I hear her say "No that's for the front". I was in shock when I found out what she was talking about was a new timing cover with the motor mounts. The last one they had and they have been sitting on it for 20 - 25 years. I didn't think there was a chance in hell I would find a new one.. or one at all.
Timing Cover.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
What's up bud! Hope all the plumbing is working out for ya :thumbsup

It looks like you pops runs the driveshaft off the front of the motor (timing chain side) rather than the bell-housing. Why is that? That's a beautiful boat!

Andrew, I saw you got the Drag Boat running! All the plumbing worked out great, we ran her the other day for the first time and no leaks anywhere!

The boat was originally rigged with a 392 hemi and it was just the thing back then to run them off the snout, the old SK boys liked that. Its funny as my dad had a Cracker Box with a 401 in it and he would always out run his buddy with the hemi, My dad tells me they ran too small of gas line and were just running out of fuel but he didn't tell them for a while. When my dad got involved in the boat his buddy showed up with a brand new 401 (trashed the Hemi) from the dealer and said here you go put it in and were partners. So that's why its like that and they just set it up the same way the hemi was, plus they already had the gear box..

GGames

Reaction score
Andrew, I saw you got the Drag Boat running! All the plumbing worked out great, we ran her the other day for the first time and no leaks anywhere!

The boat was originally rigged with a 392 hemi and it was just the thing back then to run them off the snout, the old SK boys liked that. Its funny as my dad had a Cracker Box with a 401 in it and he would always out run his buddy with the hemi, My dad tells me they ran too small of gas line and were just running out of fuel but he didn't tell them for a while. When my dad got involved in the boat his buddy showed up with a brand new 401 (trashed the Hemi) from the dealer and said here you go put it in and were partners. So that's why its like that and they just set it up the same way the hemi was, plus they already had the gear box..

Yah... about the Drag Boat... She GONE!!! Boat morphed at the end of the track and ruined the hull. New hull being layed up.

Cool to hear the nailhead owned the Hemi's! It was a coin flip between the 2 for me... but my Grandpa talked me into the nailhead.

GGames

Reaction score
A lot better than Shitty 60's lead paint that was sitting in a field for so many years
Sand blasted.jpg
Side View Cowder Coated.jpg
Black Ass.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
White oak steps on the trailer with wet systems epoxy
20161007_085938.jpg
White oak cat walk with wet dystems epoxy
20161007_085924.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
Got the wood on the trailer all finished and bolted up! Not to get these new polished stainless fenders on.

Finished wood.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Don't forget to weld on the extra leaf spring perches! :D

Looking good! ;)

GGames

Reaction score
Got the stainless fenders on. Also epoxyed the wood on the fender guards. I don't think I want to carpet the wood on the fender guards, it looks bitched with the matching wood everywhere. Maybe I will just put a strip of carpet for patting... or maybe nothing at all. Chrome Fender with wood.jpg port stainless fender.jpg Starbird stainless fender.jpg

Now that the trailer is pretty much done, its time to get moving on the boat. I have Lee coming by my shop sometime soon to take a look and figure out exactly what to be done to the wood and gel. Also going to start putting the timing cover and velvet drive on the 401 so I can mock rig this thing before everything gets polished and pretty.
First day wrenching.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
This wasn't east to figure out, nor was their information anywhere on the interWEB.... At least I never found it. From what I have been told... and what I have came to find out... The only way to hook up a 72C Velvet Drive to an old Buick Nailhead is to find a Nail head bell housing that converts to a early Ford transmission. Then you need to find an adapter plate to marry the early Ford Bellhousing bolt pattern to the Velvet Drive.
- I got this adapter from Steve Mackleroy in HB, CA. Nice guy with a lot of boating history. Says he has more available.
- I go the Nailhead to early Ford transmission bell housing from Russell Martin nailheadbuick.com (Very hard to find part)

Early ford to Velvet drive adaptor.jpg

Adaptor and Early ford bellhousing.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
How does that adapter impact your input shaft spacing? I picked up bell housing for my BBC to Velvet Drive from Rex a few years ago, it was an old school piece. look good so I polished it had it ready to go but when I mated the velvet drive up the input shaft was only engaging an 1/8 in or so ?? swapped out to the original housing I had and fully engaged. Never followed up on the bell housing, its just hanging on my wall.

GGames

Reaction score
How does that adapter impact your input shaft spacing? I picked up bell housing for my BBC to Velvet Drive from Rex a few years ago, it was an old school piece. look good so I polished it had it ready to go but when I mated the velvet drive up the input shaft was only engaging an 1/8 in or so ?? swapped out to the original housing I had and fully engaged. Never followed up on the bell housing, its just hanging on my wall.

I will let you know when my fly wheel comes in this week, But from what I remember Steve Macklaroy said it is spaced out for this application.

Prime Marine

Custom rigging
Reaction score
I will let you know when my fly wheel comes in this week, But from what I remember Steve Macklaroy said it is spaced out for this application.

It changes the input shaft location however you can just space the drive plate out to accommodate.
Cool project!

GGames

Reaction score
It changes the input shaft location however you can just space the drive plate out to accommodate.
Cool project!

Thanks for the Tip.

By the way... Awesome Job with this boat... One of the inspirations of my build for sure...
p779148843-6.jpg

GGames

Reaction score
Now that I have HUNTED down most of the parts I need for the Nailhead... Time to finish the wood deck and get the gel going....

Questions:

1. If Lee is out of my price range or too busy... Does anyone have a recommendation on who to do the work? I have been talking to a guy my brother knows named Martin. Also tried Miller boats, but they wont work on a wood deck that they haven't installed.

2. I have heard for a wood deck Epoxy is better than fiberglass and varnish, can anyone school me on this??

BamBam

Reaction score
Now that I have HUNTED down most of the parts I need for the Nailhead... Time to finish the wood deck and get the gel going....

Questions:

1. If Lee is out of my price range or too busy... Does anyone have a recommendation on who to do the work? I have been talking to a guy my brother knows named Martin. Also tried Miller boats, but they wont work on a wood deck that they haven't installed.

2. I have heard for a wood deck Epoxy is better than fiberglass and varnish, can anyone school me on this??

What does Harlan say? He built the deck right? I would also ask Lee what he used on the last 21' and 24' wood deckers.

GGames

Reaction score
What does Harlan say? He built the deck right? I would also ask Lee what he used on the last 21' and 24' wood deckers.

Harlan is more of the wood builder than finisher. Just talked to Pete Giroux who use to finish Harlan's wood decks and he suggested to use straight epoxy so that it soaks into the wood. I have heard this from multiple people now... seems to be the best option.

Backlash

Reaction score
I would sort out what you want for the finished product. If you want a top of the line wood deck boat, it's going to cost you. And you'd want to do it right. If you want something that's less show and more "User friendly," the epoxy route could work. Definitely get several opinions and figure out what's going to work best.

Me personally, if I was redoing a wood decker (Someday I will), I would want it as immaculate and possible. A lot of epoxy and varnish to get as deep a finish as possible. Again, that's just me. :D

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
No varnish Greg...epoxy is great. Labor is unreal. But you got time and your young. West systems is great tech help..but it's pretty simple. So it will take probably five applications and block sanding in between. Then you have to make a decision...use automotive clear over it...or you can spray duratec sunshield and sand and buff. This is basically clear gel and it's very durable. But the cut and buff is painful..cost me 2700.00 to get the 22 Schiada done by a professional, and I'm supposed to be a professional...

Now the BIG question...how is the wood you want to finish??? Is it bare wood...or need repair somewhere?? I had some bad areas in the woodeck Wicken's I restored that my brother now owns. I was kind of bamboozled because I didn't want to clear over flaws...but I didn't want to redo deck material. So I called a furniture restoration dude here in town...went by his shop and asked if he would come look at my project. He came by and he was amazing. He had a toolbox full of chalk pens..yes chalk. He asked me to mix some clear up and we would spray over his work if I liked it. He DREW in the wood grain and totally made the imperfections go away...I know in your area there are guys like this. He charged me 50 bucks...no shit. You also need to speak with Danny Bell 562 577 3673. He is your local guy done there that is an epoxy expert and a very cool dude...much like me...lol If you need me drop me a line...or call me email twitter facebook linkedin phone or drop a pin...Merry Christmas to the Gamese'sess

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Greg...I now realize the deck is new...disregard all the other bs..if you want to stain to a certain color you can do that...but I think it's badass the way it is..just epoxy and go..

GGames

Reaction score
Thanks Lou! I have been in talks with Pete Giroux who has done many wood decks and I think he is going to finish the wood areas and tie the cap in. From there I will have someone else re-paint the bottom and sides of the boat and spray the clear. Im all for making and installing parts... but making things look pretty is not my cup of tea... unless its a tile job....

GGames

Reaction score
Greg...I now realize the deck is new...disregard all the other bs..if you want to stain to a certain color you can do that...but I think it's badass the way it is..just epoxy and go..
I agree... the color of the wood is staying as is!

sirbob

Reaction score
Also tried Miller boats, but they wont work on a wood deck that they haven't installed.

Miller does nice stuff but I am surprised they wouldn't work on a boat Harlan built. I would think he has a pretty good reputation? I could understand if a shmo like me showed up with a home built project, them not wanting to get involved...

Did they say why they wouldn't work on it other than they didn't build it?

GGames

Reaction score
Miller does nice stuff but I am surprised they wouldn't work on a boat Harlan built. I would think he has a pretty good reputation? I could understand if a shmo like me showed up with a home built project, them not wanting to get involved...

Did they say why they wouldn't work on it other than they didn't build it?
Thats what I got out of the short convo I had with them. I know they do great work...

GGames

Reaction score
Just dropped the boat off to Pete Giroux to finish up the wood deck with epoxy!

My trailer wheel bearing started squeaking right when I got off the freeway... I think it was just on the verge of seizing.. i got lucky.

rivergames

Reaction score
Just dropped the boat off to Pete Giroux to finish up the wood deck with epoxy!

My trailer wheel bearing started squeaking right when I got off the freeway... I think it was just on the verge of seizing.. i got lucky.

Ummmm..... You know you have to pull the boat 70 miles back to LA when the boat is finished and all pretty looking n shit right? :eek

GGames

Reaction score
Ummmm..... You know you have to pull the boat 70 miles back to LA when the boat is finished and all pretty looking n shit right? :eek
Good thing Pete has use to build trailers for 20 years... he is going to handle the bearrings for me.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
G
Pete is proud of his work and his name, he won't let it leave until you're happy but more importantly until he is happy. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Just curious how long it took to get on Harlan's waiting list then once there how long did it take to get in??
(I have a wood deck 57 Campbell that needs new wood!!!)
rb

GGames

Reaction score
G
Pete is proud of his work and his name, he won't let it leave until you're happy but more importantly until he is happy. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Just curious how long it took to get on Harlan's waiting list then once there how long did it take to get in??
(I have a wood deck 57 Campbell that needs new wood!!!)
rb
Good to hear. After i met Pete I was sure he was the right man for the job.

I actually got lucky as Harlan. He was just finishing up this wood deck and was planning on selling it. So there was no waiting list for me.

GGames

Reaction score
This boat is has been getting steady progress! Pete says he needs another 2 weeks and the wood will be all finished up :champagne:. It has been great working with the Giroux's so far, Pete and Shorty are very interactive and I love the picture updates!!!

9 sanding for 2nd coat.jpg

11 sanding for 2nd coat.jpg

10 sanding for 2nd coat.jpg

Rickybobby

Reaction score
That thing looks luscious!!!! what is the plan for the future ???

GGames

Reaction score
That thing looks luscious!!!! what is the plan for the future ???
Pete is going to finish up the prep. Then off to Billy B for some paint.

As for motor and parts:
Halibrand vdrive & velvet drive need to be rebuilt.
Motor needs to get to M&D preformance for a look over and final assembly.

Backlash

Reaction score
Looking good!! I can't wait to see my project flipped upside down! Hopefully by the end of the summer! ;)

Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress!

GGames

Reaction score
Crazy, I was looking for the oldest pictures of a Schiada and stumbled upon this one. Not the oldest one, but I noticed I have the same type of flame arrestors that were on this boat. I think its going to look pretty sweet. Does anyone have any vintage memorabilia, pictures or History on wood boats Leonard built?
Schiada Logo.jpg
Flame Arrestors.jpg