WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5th wheel - how big is too big?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
With the kids growing, and the offroad toys multiplying, we have the itch to get a bigger RV.

Currently have a 27' bumper pull TH, big cargo (17' to first cabinet) but no front bedroom. Has a nice big front bathroom which is good, but having to climb up into a bunk bed sucks balls, and there is no privacy from the kids to get dressed / "etc"

In order to get a seperate front bedroom, and keep big cargo, that leaves us with a massive bumper pull (no thank you...) or a 5th wheel. Thought about getting another Moho and an enclosed cargo trailer, but now were talking a 30' coach and a 20' trailer, another vehicle to maintain....etc. Thinking 5th wheel is the way to go for what were doing, and i can keep the toys stored in the trailer as I do now.

Have a friend selling a 2 year old Genesis 40cr 5th wheel, real nice trailer. 41' overall, 13k empty / 17k loaded. It's a big ass trailer. My first reaction is that it's too big, but....is it? I know the truck can handle it without issue, being a 3500 DRW diesel. RV access can handle it. Any drawbacks to towing a 40' fifth wheel? When measured against my current truck / trailer combo - it's only 5' longer when hitched up to the truck due to it being a 5th wheel. Of course it is heavier, and 2' taller as well.....

How big is too big in your book?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
With the kids growing, and the offroad toys multiplying, we have the itch to get a bigger RV.

Currently have a 27' bumper pull TH, big cargo (17' to first cabinet) but no front bedroom. Has a nice big front bathroom which is good, but having to climb up into a bunk bed sucks balls, and there is no privacy from the kids to get dressed / "etc"

In order to get a seperate front bedroom, and keep big cargo, that leaves us with a massive bumper pull (no thank you...) or a 5th wheel. Thought about getting another Moho and an enclosed cargo trailer, but now were talking a 30' coach and a 20' trailer, another vehicle to maintain....etc. Thinking 5th wheel is the way to go for what were doing, and i can keep the toys stored in the trailer as I do now.

Have a friend selling a 2 year old Genesis 40cr 5th wheel, real nice trailer. 41' overall, 13k empty / 17k loaded. It's a big ass trailer. My first reaction is that it's too big, but....is it? I know the truck can handle it without issue, being a 3500 DRW diesel. RV access can handle it. Any drawbacks to towing a 40' fifth wheel? When measured against my current truck / trailer combo - it's only 5' longer when hitched up to the truck due to it being a 5th wheel. Of course it is heavier, and 2' taller as well.....

How big is too big in your book?
Just get an 18 wheeler and be done with it !

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I had a 40' cyclone and it was great while camping in the desert. But we started to do some camp ground camping in the Sierra's, and beach camping and was limited to were we could park and most state camping have length limits too.

So now looking for a 5th wheel that is 35' overall in length.

fmo24

Reaction score
The only time you may have issues is going to state or national parks. They can be a bit tight We have a 40ft moho and just stay somewhere nearby and drive in.

boataholic

Reaction score
I had a 40' cyclone and it was great while camping in the desert. But we started to do some camp ground camping in the Sierra's, and beach camping and was limited to were we could park and most state camping have length limits too.

He is spot on... bigger the better for the desert. But if your interested in some of the socal beaches it can be a pain,.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

We're basically desert campers, so i know were good there

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

This basically sums it up. I had a 40' Cyclone as well and it was great when out at Ocotillo. For anything else? Not so much. Enjoy the 31' Class A much better for going anywhere else.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
If you only desert camp I wouldn’t worry about the over all length. I have 3705 that measures 40’. I will say this, plan your stops, don’t be trying to whip into some small gas station or find a spot to park at the grocery store. If In fact you do go to any camp grounds make sure to get a map of it to make sure your going to get it parked. Most of the campgrounds don’t think about how your going to get it in the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This basically sums it up. I had a 40' Cyclone as well and it was great when out at Ocotillo. For anything else? Not so much. Enjoy the 31' Class A much better for going anywhere else.
This is where the motorhome / enclosed trailer setup would be better. Leave the dirt toys at home and be able to squeeze into "normal" camping places, like the beach or state parks

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
This is where the motorhome / enclosed trailer setup would be better. Leave the dirt toys at home and be able to squeeze into "normal" camping places, like the beach or state parks

But then you can't leave the trailer behind and use your tow vehicle to go into town in a normal vehicle! lol. They both have tradeoffs. :D

Rbcconst

Reaction score

It’s a great theory if you camp in a big group and at least one person has a truck to use as a recovery vehicle or a grocery run

4Waters

Reaction score
Get a motorhome with a bunkhouse and tow an inclosed utility trailer behind it, remember the trailer will be a PTI registration. Hell you could put fold down beds on the wall in the trailer and the kids could sleep in there.

c_land

Reaction score
Go big or go home BROTHER!!!!

ww.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It’s a great theory if you camp in a big group and at least one person has a truck to use as a recovery vehicle or a grocery run

That's exactly why i ditched my motorhome - I wanted to have a free truck when i got to the desert, or to the river if we're camping. Disrupting camp to pull up stakes and drive the motorhome SUX. Running out of water in the motorhome with 50 gallons of fresh SUX

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I do everything in a 41’ toyhauler. Just did San Clemente this last weekend. We’ve done Yosemite, Sequoias, San Francisco, Huntington Beach, Carlsbad, etc... along with our usual desert trips.

Nowadays if you’re not familiar with the campground and what spots you can fit in someone online like the rv forums can tell you.

It’s a bit of a pain at times but no way I’m going smaller ever again. It’s nice having personal space and more than enough storage. I don’t need to compromise what I need to bring for sake of room.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I had a 39' Forest River Sandstorm and a F450 dually to tow it. I think the overall length of the trailer was closer to 43'. The only areas we had issues getting into camping spots was up at Rincon along the beach as the trailer literally went line to line and it was a bit of a white knuckler jack knifing it in to make it work.

As someone who has had each type of RV- started out with a bumper tow TH, then 3 different 5th wheel TH's, and now a Motor home and Enclosed- I would highly recommend going the RV route but that's just my 2 cents. I remember when several of my friends made the jump from 5th wheel to MH's- my wife and I always said we didn't need anything like that, our 5th wheel was perfect. Especially when my kids were little because they had the entire back of the trailer to play in, it was like a huge play room with a pack and play. Over time, or needs changed and the motrohome made more sense and we have been happy with our decision and dont miss the 5th wheel at all.

We purchased all of our 5th wheels brand new and they were nice, but I dont think they had near the build quality of any of the motor-homes. And the motor-home just feels more "homey" when you are out camping.

There are several pros and cons to each situation.... and they have all been discussed here! In my case, from a $$$ perspective the motor-home made sense. When I looked at my truck payment, truck registration, and insurance and added in the trailer payment and insurance- it ended up being a big nut each month and the motor-home costs about 1/2 of what we were paying with the truck and trailer set up.

I have plenty of input if you need it!

TripleB

Reaction score
How big is to big?

Depends are where you camp, I have not run into anyone that has said their camping unit is to big but have heard from a bunch they wish they had bought bigger.

As far as towing, it will tow a ton better than any bumper pull trailer

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I had a 39' Forest River Sandstorm and a F450 dually to tow it. I think the overall length of the trailer was closer to 43'. The only areas we had issues getting into camping spots was up at Rincon along the beach as the trailer literally went line to line and it was a bit of a white knuckler jack knifing it in to make it work.

As someone who has had each type of RV- started out with a bumper tow TH, then 3 different 5th wheel TH's, and now a Motor home and Enclosed- I would highly recommend going the RV route but that's just my 2 cents. I remember when several of my friends made the jump from 5th wheel to MH's- my wife and I always said we didn't need anything like that, our 5th wheel was perfect. Especially when my kids were little because they had the entire back of the trailer to play in, it was like a huge play room with a pack and play. Over time, or needs changed and the motrohome made more sense and we have been happy with our decision and dont miss the 5th wheel at all.

We purchased all of our 5th wheels brand new and they were nice, but I dont think they had near the build quality of any of the motor-homes. And the motor-home just feels more "homey" when you are out camping.

There are several pros and cons to each situation.... and they have all been discussed here! In my case, from a $$$ perspective the motor-home made sense. When I looked at my truck payment, truck registration, and insurance and added in the trailer payment and insurance- it ended up being a big nut each month and the motor-home costs about 1/2 of what we were paying with the truck and trailer set up.

I have plenty of input if you need it!

Problem is - if I went the MH route, I couldn't get rid of my truck....still need a tow vehicle for the river!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Problem is - if I went the MH route, I couldn't get rid of my truck....still need a tow vehicle for the river!

I sold my F450 and Trailer when we bought the MH.
I found a nice used 2012 F150 4x4 Platinum to tow behind my motor-home. It has has more room in the backseat to fit 3 kids in car seats than my wifes Expedition EL and it tows my boat fine and has also towed my 24' enclosed with 2900 lb buggy and all of the crap (crap including gas an and extra 100 gallons of water for my MH) around with no problems.

Side note- Friend also has a 30' Hallett with twins that he has towed back and forth to the river with no issues behind his F150.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
That's exactly why i ditched my motorhome - I wanted to have a free truck when i got to the desert, or to the river if we're camping. Disrupting camp to pull up stakes and drive the motorhome SUX. Running out of water in the motorhome with 50 gallons of fresh SUX

Yup. Always a trade off. The motorhome set up seems sweet, you can get a large flatbed trailer or large enclosed and have plenty of cargo room, set up is a breeze when you get there. But without that extra vehicle it’s not worth it. Our WW holds 150 gal of fresh water. I could dry camp for a week.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yup. Always a trade off. The motorhome set up seems sweet, you can get a large flatbed trailer or large enclosed and have plenty of cargo room, set up is a breeze when you get there. But without that extra vehicle it’s not worth it. Our WW holds 150 gal of fresh water. I could dry camp for a week.

Thats the water capacity of my current TH as well. I usually end up filling my buddies moho at some point in the trip lol

Cdog

Reaction score
We have a Genesis gs34. It’s roughly 37 feet. Perfect size if you plan to do beach camping. Any bigger and you cant get into the majority of parks.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We have a Genesis gs34. It’s roughly 37 feet. Perfect size if you plan to do beach camping. Any bigger and you cant get into the majority of parks.
How has your rig been quality / reliability wise? I believe the one I'm looking at is a 2016 or 2017, he's had it for less than 2 years. Other than needing the board replaced in the water heater (bad batch of boards) it has been good.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
nothing smaller than a 40', you will regret later.

Cdog

Reaction score
How has your rig been quality / reliability wise? I believe the one I'm looking at is a 2016 or 2017, he's had it for less than 2 years. Other than needing the board replaced in the water heater (bad batch of boards) it has been good.

There were a couple of little vendor items that have been fixed under warranty. Over all it's been great with no serious issues. Ours is a 2018. I ordered it with the leveling system, dual AC's and no sticker graphics. We've used the hell out of it this year. Stayed in it for 6 weeks at Newport Dunes.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have a 43' Toy Hauler.
We do use it as a travel trailer but you book RV parks with the HUGE 72' long + extra wide pull thrus or camp on BLM land. All BLM land is available for camping. Usually free but it is all open to camping and that's that no matter what anyone tells you.

Families with the 36' seem to be just about right and happy. 32' is ideal but will it hold your Toys? New 4 seat sxs's have exceeded 14' long BTW and new models from all the major MFG's are on the horizon.

We are interested in a new Toy Hauler that is 46ft but we don't have issues with ours. Little nagging problems, but not the major headaches our friends are experiencing with their NEW brands. Suspension catastrophic failure, holding and supply tank failure, crazy shit they are going through since they took delivery. Mind jarring issues.

Seems Onan generator quality has hit bottom as well. They grenade within about a hours running time or eat a ridiculous amount of oil is pretty common with the new ones.

The Coleman AC units are more reliable than the Dometic's and way, way quieter.
I'm pulling my Dometics off the toy haulers roof and replacing them with Colemans that are sitting on Pallets in my garage as I type this. Easy change out, tired of the Dometics mulligans, unreliability and the racket.

I check first what bare essentials in an RV I want, in my case a big garage and tool & part storage leave it at that and let the wife pick the floor plan and colors. It's a BFD. In the long run the girls floor plan choice takes in consideration good stuff chix notice and guys are blind too.
If it wasn't for women we'd still be living in caves.

Last edited:

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Let me know if you have any questions buddy. I work for Rowley White RV, we are the biggest Genesis dealer and I have a personal Relationship with the Crew at Genesis.

As for myself. I am on my 4th Toyhauler/RV in 6 years.
I started with a weekend warrior FS2300, great trailer, easy to pull, but really only enough cargo space for a few dirtbikes or a Rhino. had for 2 years and sold it.
Bought a Weekend Warrior SLC3905 Big Bitch, tons of space,20-25 feet of cargo but I was beginning to think that it was too big. Had it for 18 months and sold it.
Bought a mid 90's Bounder Moho, Cummins, Allison, We took it on one trip and I was bugged I didnt have a vehicle to get around in. Luckily I had bought it from my In Laws so when I sold it a month later I didnt lose my ASS on it.

We started looking at trailers and I realized that I really did need all the space between Sandcar, Coolers, Kids quads, table. It just didnt make sense to go smaller. I loved the Genesis 40CR, Wife loved the 40GS. We ended up with the 40GS. Absolutely love the trailer! The fit and finish is amazing and we have had minimal problems in the 9 months we have had it. I have towed that thing around almost 10k miles since I have had it and it doesnt miss a beat.

If you need the space, you dont necessarily have to go with a 40 though. I just cant go small lol.
42326758_2191702431065305_2648591402413326336_o.jpg
42326758_2191702431065305_2648591402413326336_o.jpg
18922889_10155358621997974_7636277776220872480_o.jpg

Attachments

• 17637056_10155133541687974_7603754852657066395_o.jpg
    17637056_10155133541687974_7603754852657066395_o.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 10001436_10152307037807974_8559411599515310574_n.jpg
    10001436_10152307037807974_8559411599515310574_n.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 165

Meaney77

Reaction score
not the major headaches our friends are experiencing with their NEW brands. Suspension catastrophic failure, holding and supply tank failure, crazy shit they are going through since they took delivery. Mind jarring issues.

Seems Onan generator quality has hit bottom as well. They grenade within about a hours running time or eat a ridiculous amount of oil is pretty common with the new ones.

The Coleman AC units are more reliable than the Dometic's and way, way quieter.
I'm pulling my Domestic off the toy haulers roof and replacing them with Colemans that are sitting on Pallets in my garage as I type this. Easy change out, tired of the Dometics mulligans and the racket.

Their is alot of good info here- these new TH's are huge and weigh a ton, then add in the SxS, the dirtbikes or quads for the kids, the fuel, the 150- 200 gallons of water, etc- and he suspension components are the weak links. Sooner or later something is going to give going down the road and its usually tires, or shackles which both result in being broken down on the side of the road and body damage to the TH. I think the new MFG's need to look at that and engineer something that can withstand all of this.

There are countless threads on GD about people with generator issues related to the new fuel mixtures.

AC units- I know my old TH's had 2 roof units and we paid extra when it was built to have the upgraded insulation package. When we camped in Havasu or along the river they struggled.... they ran all day and all night, on high and were loud as hell, trying to keep the trailer cool was impossible for us.

I dont have these same issues with my MH.

Reactions: TPC

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Their is alot of good info here- these new TH's are huge and weigh a ton, then add in the SxS, the dirtbikes or quads for the kids, the fuel, the 150- 200 gallons of water, etc- and he suspension components are the weak links. Sooner or later something is going to give going down the road and its usually tires, or shackles which both result in being broken down on the side of the road and body damage to the TH. I think the new MFG's need to look at that and engineer something that can withstand all of this.

There are countless threads on GD about people with generator issues related to the new fuel mixtures.

AC units- I know my old TH's had 2 roof units and we paid extra when it was built to have the upgraded insulation package. When we camped in Havasu or along the river they struggled.... they ran all day and all night, on high and were loud as hell, trying to keep the trailer cool was impossible for us.

I dont have these same issues with my MH.
My Weekend Warrior had 2 AC units and it would freeze the front bedroom and trip the back AZ unit every 2 hours trying to keep the back cool. My new unit has 3 that will run off the Onan 5500 which is super nice.

Unfortunately on trailers, all the suspension, frames, axles, are made by the same company. They have to warranty their own products which makes the manufacturers look bad alot. Its a rolling, shaking, jolting, earthquaking house on wheels and definetely needs to be maintained that way.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My Weekend Warrior had 2 AC units and it would freeze the front bedroom and trip the back AZ unit every 2 hours trying to keep the back cool. My new unit has 3 that will run off the Onan 5500 which is super nice.

Unfortunately on trailers, all the suspension, frames, axles, are made by the same company. They have to warranty their own products which makes the manufacturers look bad alot. Its a rolling, shaking, jolting, earthquaking house on wheels and definetely needs to be maintained that way.
Damn you have 3 AC ! My buddies only has 2. He says it does well, up to about 110 (at the river)...then you can tell you could use a 3rd

yz450mm

Reaction score
Damn you have 3 AC ! My buddies only has 2. He says it does well, up to about 110 (at the river)...then you can tell you could use a 3rd
My 39' voltage only has two, they do fine for the bedroom and Main area but the garage gets hot. I have a portable 12K BTU unit that I plug in and and vent the hot air out the window, keeps it comfortable back there in the summer.

If you have the option to get the third AC, do it. Or at least make sure it's wired for it so you could drop a unit in yourself down the road

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We have no kids, but my wife would tell you that our 43’ fiver was too small [emoji15]

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Ya I have the High Efficiency AC unit option on my trailer! Works well, but wasnt an option till 2018

rpmsrup

Reaction score
If anyone is interested im selling my old 5ther 38cks next level
trailer.jpg trailer2.jpg

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
We got rid of our 37' Attitude bumper pull and ordered a new Attitude 5th wheel 35GSG +3. 42.5' overall length with 17' for toys. We will have this for a while. We got it with the off the grid package which will run the entire coach off of a battery bank that is charged by a roof full of solar panels. We should be getting it in the next 2 to 3 weeks. We don't plan on doing national parks etc. If we do there will be way around it. This is identical to what we ordered as far as options and colors. It also has the Onan 7KW generator to run all 3 ACs at once.

Just like with a gun safe, go bigger than you think you need.
Attitude 35GSG 2.jpg
Attitude 35GSG 3.jpg
Attitude 35GSG 4.jpg
Attitude 35GSG.jpg

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
From the pics of your River House Needles,going big nothing new.Go for it. :)

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I sat here and tied to add them up...I think I come up with 7 in the last...3 decades or so, LOL.
There isn't a perfect answer to the type or size..other than a 400 HP Diesel pusher pulling a stacker with toys on the bottom and a little car on the top deck. Or at least that is my take. As for size, well..it is about how big you are comfortable towing, how much room you have to store, what your truck is rated for and where you want to take it. Mix all that up and take yer best shot.
I do think we have found a manufacturer we can work with when it comes for the last rig, if it is a 5er.
http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/ATC-Toy-Hauler-5th-Wheel.html
These guys have built toyhaulers for a lot of years, this is their prototype 5er. Gonna watch them as they grow.
Quick numbers...42 ft. no wood. 10k empty. ramp and coach stout enough to put a 4 door jeep in...Two 100 gallon fresh water tanks, 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.
It is too spartan for Cindy, but if you listen to the guy they want input and will pretty much build you what ever you want.
I only wanna do this one more time.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
We got rid of our 37' Attitude bumper pull and ordered a new Attitude 5th wheel 35GSG +3. 42.5' overall length with 17' for toys. We will have this for a while. We got it with the off the grid package which will run the entire coach off of a battery bank that is charged by a roof full of solar panels. We should be getting it in the next 2 to 3 weeks. We don't plan on doing national parks etc. If we do there will be way around it. This is identical to what we ordered as far as options and colors. It also has the Onan 7KW generator to run all 3 ACs at once.

Just like with a gun safe, go bigger than you think you need. View attachment 708679 View attachment 708680 View attachment 708681 View attachment 708682
I freaking love the GSG floor plan, and the new light interior eclipse is doing is beautiful! Hope you guys enjoy that thing! The off the grid package is super cool!

rpmsrup

Reaction score

Just like with a gun safe, go bigger than you think you need. View attachment 708679 View attachment 708680 View attachment 708681 View attachment 708682
I love the GSG wish we could have got that plan. but we needed more cargo so had to go with the biggest I could get

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We had a 42’ we made sure we New where we were going ;)

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I freaking love the GSG floor plan, and the new light interior eclipse is doing is beautiful! Hope you guys enjoy that thing! The off the grid package is super cool!

We fell in love with the light interior. They worked me a really good deal on the off the grid. I was the 1st person to order one and was dealing with Frankie the owner of Giant. Hopefully will have it by New Year so we can give it a quick shake down before a big trip in late Jan.

I love the GSG wish we could have got that plan. but we needed more cargo so had to go with the biggest I could get

Thank you. I hear you...we actually kicked around the idea of the same coach as you but we only have a 4 seat Can Am and 2 PW 50s for my boys. So for now we have enough room. We will see what happens as they get older but with them being almost 4 and 2.5 we should be good for a good 5 years or so

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I have a 40 ft. Toy hauler!! Perfect size for camping

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk