WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

5th Wheel Slide Out Question

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK model with the rear bunk house.

Rear slide came in real slow last time and now it won't go out. Is there something other than replacing the motor that could be an issue here? I also noticed my rear leveling jacks were real slow to extend which makes me wonder if it's a power issue to the rear of the trailer, or something else.

Anybody have any idea's?

I have an appointment at Richardsons Family RV in Riverside next week, just looking for other opinions or shop recommendation prior to dropping this thing off.

I have ZERO clue when it comes to electrical work so I'm kinda out of luck there.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Can you check the power at the slide motor? Put a booster on the battery to rule bad battery out.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Sounds like a battery to me also. Start there.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
It's hooked to the house. Everything works fine accept the rear slider and rear landing gear. I'm crossing my fingers it's something easy electrical. Fuses are all good.

HitIt

Reaction score
Have you done any battery swaps recently? Had a friend that went from 2x12V to 2x6V and only wired his jacks to 1 6v battery. I stood by him drinking a beer and heckling him while we waited for a few minutes for his trailer to get leveled before I told him what the problem was.

also, even when my batteries are pretty full, my 12v jack seems to run slow. I am good to go when fresh off charger or while charging.

Meaney77

Reaction score
It's hooked to the house. Everything works fine accept the rear slider and rear landing gear. I'm crossing my fingers it's something easy electrical. Fuses are all good.
Maybe a bad or lose shared ground wire?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Can you check the power at the slide motor? Put a booster on the battery to rule bad battery out.
Are the slide motors 12V or 110?
I'm completely retarded when it comes to electrical anything. I've used it hooked to the house plenty in the past with zero issues. This is the only time it's started doing this. I also noticed my rear landing gear is moving real slow. I agree, it's almost as if it's running off of a real low battery, but the battery is fully charged, and it's hooked to the house.

Have you done any battery swaps recently? Had a friend that went from 2x12V to 2x6V and only wired his jacks to 1 6v battery. I stood by him drinking a beer and heckling him while we waited for a few minutes for his trailer to get leveled before I told him what the problem was.

also, even when my batteries are pretty full, my 12v jack seems to run slow. I am good to go when fresh off charger or while charging.

Good thought, no new battery.
Maybe a bad or lose shared ground wire?

I'm hoping this is all it is.

The trailer is used but has been very well taken care of. The bottom is lined with sheets of thin cardboard or something similar so everything is hidden. I'm hoping something just cam lose in the short trips I've taken it on.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm completely retarded when it comes to electrical anything. I've used it hooked to the house plenty in the past with zero issues. This is the only time it's started doing this. I also noticed my rear landing gear is moving real slow. I agree, it's almost as if it's running off of a real low battery, but the battery is fully charged, and it's hooked to the house.

Good thought, no new battery.

I'm hoping this is all it is.

The trailer is used but has been very well taken care of. The bottom is lined with sheets of thin cardboard or something similar so everything is hidden. I'm hoping something just cam lose in the short trips I've taken it on.
Check all wires, I had a new toy hauler and they put flooring over the wire so over time the floor rubbed the coating off the wire and was grounding out.

yz450mm

Reaction score
A battery can show good voltage on a meter,but have a bad cell, which kills the output under load. Load test or replace the battery, and clean the cable to terminal connections while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

thmterry

Reaction score
Being plugged in doesn't matter to 12 volt motors. I would test batteries individually. I just had a slide that would not work plugged in but worked with new battery.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Can u swap with your vehicle battery to troubleshoot?

HitIt

Reaction score
Being plugged in doesn't matter to 12 volt motors.

When plugged in, the converter is usually charging the batteries and is good for 50 - 100amps and holds them well over 13V. It could easily make a difference.

thmterry

Reaction score
When plugged in, the converter is usually charging the batteries and is good for 50 - 100amps and holds them well over 13V. It could easily make a difference.
You can put all the juice you want into a bad battery and it still wont work.

HitIt

Reaction score
You can put all the juice you want into a bad battery and it still wont work.

Well, not after you remove the converter. But the converter isn't electrically isolated from the load side of the battery so it could basically power the 12v rail of the coach even if the battery is dead. All I am saying is that the 12v motors for the jacks and slides could work fine when plugged in and getting juice from the converter even with a dead battery.

thmterry

Reaction score
Well, not after you remove the converter. But the converter isn't electrically isolated from the load side of the battery so it could basically power the 12v rail of the coach even if the battery is dead. All I am saying is that the 12v motors for the jacks and slides could work fine when plugged in and getting juice from the converter even with a dead battery.
Didnt work on mine, put a new battery in and everything worked fine.

Last edited: