WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

600 sci / whipple upgrade

LC925

Reaction score
Oil pressure sensor!

So nearly 2 months ago I purchased a 22 hour boat with a Stage 3 Whipple upgrade. While on the test drive I noticed the actual dash gauge wasn’t reading and the seller told me it was the second one that goes out since he did the upgrade. However, the digital monitor (in the speedo or tach gauge) displays the pressure just fine. I said ahh no biggie, I still have a digital reading, I just have to shuffle through the modes to see the pressure as a back up. Scheduled a service with Shockwave after buying it and dropped it off last week. All the routine maintenance, check the oil pressure sensor, add a Aqua swim step, and a few touch ups.

Fast forward to today when I went to pick it up. They replaced the sensor and everything else on the list. Ok cool. Then it was mentioned that it will likely continue to go out! Apparently they encounter this on ALL Whippled 600’s?!? Anyone running into this as well?

Then I started thinking, is the sensor really bad if it’s still reading digitally? Maybe there’s something else causing the malfunction on the analog gauge? Lastly, now I’m second guessing myself if oil pressure was one of the digital reads as well... shit I need to get on the water Since this is ready to roll!

Here is a pic circling the oil pressure gauge as well as the “digital gauge” I was referencing if it didn’t make sense as well as a pic of the boat.

0FD6A73F-D3FE-4058-BED8-3CE2B1E82F67.jpeg
C1A5A79D-EB52-49E1-B665-F1DC8EABF300.jpeg
FEB2EC67-B1A8-4D7C-9BB6-49F8941F495E.jpeg

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Jeff’s boat, that thing literally got motor installed and listed. I don’t think motor and drive had any hours.
shit the motor and drive removed from it had zero problems with maybe 20 hours of use.

no input on gauges, sorry

LC925

Reaction score
Yeah. Think his 565 had maybe 30 hours then put the 22 hours on the 600 after installing last year. Jeff and his son Garrett were very easy to deal with.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Hmm i would lik to see if you could put a second oil pressure sensor on. As it is working under the smartcraft portion if it is working on the digital read out, they obviously split the wire or .... to get to read on analog gauge as well the digital readout from the smartcraft portion. That would be my second call, first call would be to Marty at Livorsi.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Oil pressure sensor!

So nearly 2 months ago I purchased a 22 hour boat with a Stage 3 Whipple upgrade. While on the test drive I noticed the actual dash gauge wasn’t reading and the seller told me it was the second one that goes out since he did the upgrade. However, the digital monitor (in the speedo or tach gauge) displays the pressure just fine. I said ahh no biggie, I still have a digital reading, I just have to shuffle through the modes to see the pressure as a back up. Scheduled a service with Shockwave after buying it and dropped it off last week. All the routine maintenance, check the oil pressure sensor, add a Aqua swim step, and a few touch ups.

Fast forward to today when I went to pick it up. They replaced the sensor and everything else on the list. Ok cool. Then it was mentioned that it will likely continue to go out! Apparently they encounter this on ALL Whippled 600’s?!? Anyone running into this as well?

Then I started thinking, is the sensor really bad if it’s still reading digitally? Maybe there’s something else causing the malfunction on the analog gauge? Lastly, now I’m second guessing myself if oil pressure was one of the digital reads as well... shit I need to get on the water Since this is ready to roll!

Here is a pic circling the oil pressure gauge as well as the “digital gauge” I was referencing if it didn’t make sense as well as a pic of the boat.

View attachment 865289 View attachment 865290 View attachment 865291
mine did that before whipple upgrade.i changed 3 sensors and I would carry a spare then I changed the pig tail to the sensor and zip tie wire up on sensor and it has been fine for 3 years. after the sensor gets changed people don't tie it back up and the wire hangs dangling.i seen a new motor in the crate at a dealer and seen sensor wire was tied tight to the sensor from factory.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Put a mechanical gauge on the engine and move along. Been running mechanical gauges for years on my engines. Find an oil port and tee into it. Run some black nylon push lock hose up to the dash to your gauge of choice and you're good.

Last edited:

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I had a 600sci in my Howard and had Prestige Marine do the stage 3 upgrade. Never had one issue with that thing, it was flawless....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Put a mechanical gauge on the engine and move along. Been running mechanical gauges for years on my engines. Find an oil port and tee into it. Run some black nylon push lock hose up to the dash to your gauge of choice and your good.
I put a mechanical gauge at the filter housing port for peace of mind but the engine will go to a derate if pressure is low because of shorted sensor.

LC925

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I’ll check to see if there is a wire tie at the sensor.

mine did that before whipple upgrade.i changed 3 sensors and I would carry a spare then I changed the pig tail to the sensor and zip tie wire up on sensor and it has been fine for 3 years. after the sensor gets changed people don't tie it back up and the wire hangs dangling.i seen a new motor in the crate at a dealer and seen sensor wire was tied tight to the sensor from factory.

LC925

Reaction score
Yeah, Prestige did this one as well so not sure what the deal is 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hoping to have a flawless experience with the everything else as I can work around this if needed.

I had a 600sci in my Howard and had Prestige Marine do the stage 3 upgrade. Never had one issue with that thing, it was flawless....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Worst case remote mount the pressure sensor off the engine with a braided line, and make sure the wiring is not pulled too tight.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score

What did you end up getting out of it on the top end? which prop?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The strange thing is, the motor is just tuned and runs a smaller pulley for more boost, along with some inter cooler water line rerouting. Stock oil pressure sender is retained. It’s not like it’s some stage 3 whipple sensor issue or something.

my buddy has a 600sci and the sensor has never been a problem, either stock or now that he has the stage IV whipple upgrade on it

LC925

Reaction score
The strange thing is, the motor is just tuned and runs a smaller pulley for more boost, along with some inter cooler water line rerouting. Stock oil pressure sender is retained. It’s not like it’s some stage 3 whipple sensor issue or something.

my buddy has a 600sci and the sensor has never been a problem, either stock or now that he has the stage IV whipple upgrade on it

I agree on it being strange. Unfortunately I’ll have to run the trial and errors to figure it out. What was told to me and I quote “maybe the new Whipple programming is somehow causing a voltage change causing it to go out.”

Is this possible?! I really don’t know but would think Whipple has it down. Plus the fact that the digital gauge is reading accurately, now makes me think the sensor still works, but maybe has a connection issue to the analog gauge. I’m going to see if the wiring is zip tied to sensor as recommended earlier and start with that.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I agree on it being strange. Unfortunately I’ll have to run the trial and errors to figure it out. What was told to me and I quote “maybe the new Whipple programming is somehow causing a voltage change causing it to go out.”

Is this possible?! I really don’t know but would think Whipple has it down. Plus the fact that the digital gauge is reading accurately, now makes me think the sensor still works, but maybe has a connection issue to the analog gauge. I’m going to see if the wiring is zip tied to sensor as recommended earlier and start with that.

The sensor is still working if the digital readout is there and accurate.. It's providing signal to the Merc ECM. Something is probably happening with the output signal from the ECM that interfaces with the Merc-compatible "plug and play" gauges.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Are there 2 senders? One for the ECM and another for the gauge?

JD D05

Reaction score
Mine is totally apart right now if you need me to look...mine is only digital and always on display with water pressure

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
That’s what I was wondering. My Teague motor has one for each. In his pictures though, it looks like he has Vantage View gauges which are run right off the Smartcraft system which would be very strange that the digital readout works but not the gauge. First step would be to check if that’s a standalone gauge or smartcraft.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I put a mechanical gauge at the filter housing port for peace of mind but the engine will go to a derate if pressure is low because of shorted sensor.
Almost all these engines typically have two senders. One for the engine computer and one for a regular gauge cluster at the dash. The newer stuff using smartcraft uses the engine computer sensor, which btw is a much better sender than the one installed for a regular dash gauge.

LC925

Reaction score
Almost all these engines typically have two senders. One for the engine computer and one for a regular gauge cluster at the dash. The newer stuff using smartcraft uses the engine computer sensor, which btw is a much better sender than the one installed for a regular dash gauge.

Ok so this would explain as to why it reads digitally and not on the actual gauge correct? If so, this would satisfy my thoughts on if my sensor was really bad or not for reading one only aspect.

LC925

Reaction score
Wish I had a large enough garage at home so I can go play with it but I have the boat stored at my buddies shop since when has plenty of room. I’ll have to go over there and familiarize myself with more aspects of this.

LC925

Reaction score
Mine is totally apart right now if you need me to look...mine is only digital and always on display with water pressure

Only digital, are you running Vessel view or what would that be?

fastenuff3

Reaction score
only one sensor. there is a box behind dash called agi which is analog gauge interface this converts digital signal to analog so gauges work. when my went bad half my gauges did not work.i do not have vessel view. the connector is under dash if I want to ad just no where to put it.