WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

65 Conv Mustang

Xring01

Reaction score
This was a running driving car a couple of months ago...
This car has been in my wifes family since the early 80s or longer. It was her fathers car..

We bought it from a family memeber about 9 years ago. At that time, rebuilt the motor, tranny, radiator, etc etc etc... Been using it as a weekend driver since..

Awhile back, I ran across a smoking deal on a Mustang II front end, that included disk slotted rotors, brakes, rack/pinion steering etc etc.. I couldnt say no to it.. I got it cheaper than just what the disk brake kit would have cost me..

Finally decided to rip the car apart a few months ago to get started...

I will post alot of pics bring you guys up to date on where we where.. and where we are heading.

Currently we have the new Front End installed, and about to re install the motor, to fab up the new motor mounts. Since it was torn apart, might as well update a few things...

Getting, New APE Aluminum Heads, New/rebuilt AOD Tranny, Retrofitting new Power Brakes, yep it didnt have that, New rims, tires, and lot of other stuff..

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Pics
6A405E88-A882-4E95-B33D-E36B30EC784B.jpeg
40C221DE-4ABF-4E2F-B016-4B622C6E85B4.jpeg
5F528E07-F6AC-44DA-8AE9-0652CF88C27E.jpeg
ADB9D8FF-94B8-4BC7-8576-982147722FA1.jpeg
546920C5-91D0-4571-9258-A5CE6B9CAF85.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
EEFCD558-D8B2-4F42-A748-723DBDE81583.jpeg

Here it with fender sitting on it, setting the ride height estimate....

Tomorrow, I am tearing into the motor. Installing the Aluminum heads, they are supposed to be very similar to AFRs. Lunati Cam, Roller Rockers, I hope the new rear sump oil pan arrives.. we can start mocking up the new motor mounts....

I will update this thread as I get more progress..

BTW the kid in the pics.. Thats my son, 20 years old, and he is doing 95% of the work, I am his gopher.. I am having a blast... Getting to build a car and watch my son thrive... He loves this stuff.

My goal for my WIFES car... Is 325-350hp with 5 speed AOD, that can run 80mph @ 2200rpms to San Diego & back with out over heating, getting 20 mpg, reliable, handles good, brakes good and a blast to drive.

The motor build is a Roller Cam 302, Alumimum heads 65cc volume and 185 flow, Holly 600 or 650 cfm, the short block only has 3000 miles since the last time we went into.. So I am not worried about the new heads at all.

Pick up the AOD tranny from Kenny at Man Cave Transmission on Monday... I hope to start putting this sucker back together soon, and take it for a ride.. Maybe in 4-6 weeks best case... There is alot of work and “UNKNOWNS” facing us... I am not sure anyone has ever put these parts on a 65 conv before.. I have no idea if the exhaust will clear the new steering system.. then the power brakes, and the ————- fill in the blanks..

Lots of surprises ahead, and looking forward to solving those problems..

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
2F95C23B-2337-43E5-BBF0-90961A0ED3CA.jpeg
790EA13A-C453-4E00-A18E-66607BD3FEFB.jpeg
A80A14F9-5340-44A2-8E34-6F025599233C.jpeg
CF8C474B-591E-4772-A44C-6E6D567604A3.jpeg

This entire build has been one step forward and two steps back..

Made a ton of progress over the Xmas break..

A few minor things to do, and waiting on parts and the drive shaft to get shortened..

We are very very close to firing it back up again.

Xring01

Reaction score
Shocks,
Came with the Helix Mustang II kit I ordered...
They fully adjustable coil overs.

Xring01

Reaction score
This build has fought us all the way.
Literally one step forward, two steps back...
Order new parts, solve another problem,
One step forward, undo what you done to solve another problem.

3 weeks ago, decided to replace the rusted fuel tank, sending unit etc...

Tried to shorten the Drive shaft, but some the parts needed would take along time to get. If I wanted it quick.. for $50 more, I could get a brand new one... We installed the new one.

Today, finally got everything in place to fire it up.. Fenders are off, hoods is off, alot of things to be done.
But I want to ensure its gonna run before we continue..

Shit, no gas... run to gas station, get 6 gallons of gas... Put it into the tank...
Leaking out the sending unit gasket... gas every where...
Drain the gas out of tank, redo the gasket, put the gas back in, yeah... no leak.....
Garage reaks of gas, it was late. Went to bed...

Next day,
Go to turn it over, turns over, and over, but no fuel...
Humm...
sucked gas thru the system to prime the manual fuel pump, which is practically new. Replaced it about 100 miles before we tore the car apart... trying to pump gas into a bucket as it turns over.. to ensure we have fuel getting to carb..

No gas... ugggg....

Remove manual fuel pump which has an old school filter built into it, inspect it, appears to work fine , re intall it...

No fuel..

I had a spare electric fuel pump that I use to transfer fuel on occassion... disconnected the fuel lines from the manual fuel pump, and temporarily rigged eletric fuel pump to carb, finally got fuel to carb....

Would not start, back fired...

Determined I screwed up on the Distributor and timing, fixed that...

It finally started,, yeahhhh, about 3 minutes into it running... the manual fuel pump starts squirting fuel...all over the engine bay and exhuast headers... WTF...

Damn thing decided to work...

Done for the night... one step forward, two steps back...

I guess the manual fuel pump is working now, gonna re install the fuel lines to it when I get time.

Last edited:

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Awesome thread. My dad and I built quite a few cars when I was younger, those are the moments I remember the most.

Keep us in the loop!

charlyox

Reaction score
I am doing pretty much the same project on a '66 coupe. I feel your pain. Everything I seems to go wrong. That new front end handles great. The only problem is the rear end can't keep up with it. It is too loose(stock) and the power I am making now 375hp just smokes the tire. Not posi yet. I had tire clearance issues. Found I has 2" drop spindles. Got stock ones now. The car is getting painted now. I still need to finish up a few items. I am going on 3 years on this project.

Attachments

• IMG_5810.JPG
    IMG_5810.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 262

charlyox

Reaction score
How about an update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xring01

Reaction score
On Vacation at the moment

Give me a week pr so

Xring01

Reaction score
Like all projects, lots of curve balls thrown our way.
ordered the correct flex plate / fly wheel... but got the wrong one, didnt realize it until after we put it all back togther.

quickly learned that vibration was not good..

so we ripped it all apart again.

assuming we had the correct flex plate, sent us on a wild goose chase, to finally figure it out. Ugggg.

then we start the re assmbly process, just to crack a huge chunk of metal off the bell housing of the AOD..

Now we have to have all the guts from the new cracked one, installed into another core... ugggg

re installed it.. got it running decently.. next issue surface..

test driving it, you can tell I built pretty good motor, but the old carb and the new build dont match...

I was advised to buy a Edelbrock AVS 2 650 cfm, to replace the Holley 550 I had on it.

That creates alot of issues on a ford.. nothing lines up. Ordered the right parts to make it work, those just created new problems..
Some red neck engineering got into over drive.
Modified what he had, made it work, damn it works good.

I can confidently say its 350hp motor, and its not even dialed in yet. Holy crap this little car loves to run hard..
wow, its a blast to drive. we dont even have a proper alignment yet, it handles 30 mph curves at 50-55 with ease..

give a bit of throttle and its climbing to100mph in a blink of an eye.

we have more work to do on it... I have a oil leak to chase down...timing/ carb fine tuning, aod shifting tuning, alignment, and many other items...

its exceeding my expectations though.

I built one hell of a motor, surprised myself on that.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Looks great!

I really think that is the sweet spot with nice interior, mechanicals, upgraded suspension. Just drive the shit out of it now without a fancy paint job so you don't have to worry if someone parks to close.

Not a big fan of the glass fuel filter especially on a Ford with the distributor up front nearby. Seen to many leak or break, could start a fire.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looks great!

I really think that is the sweet spot with nice interior, mechanicals, upgraded suspension. Just drive the shit out of it now without a fancy paint job so you don't have to worry if someone parks to close.

Not a big fan of the glass fuel filter especially on a Ford with the distributor up front nearby. Seen to many leak or break, could start a fire.

Strongly agree. That is a bad spot!

Gonna be a nice ride when it's all done. Fun with cars. Ain't it grand? LoL

👍

Xring01

Reaction score
Looks great!

Had to use it due to some strange issues with a new fuel pump that was workin intermittently.

Being able to see fuel, helped in the trouble shooting.

charlyox

Reaction score
Congrats. I feel your pain. My '66 is still in paint. I think it is almost done but my buddy wants to surprise me so he won't send me any pics. He does great work so I know it is going to be nice.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Had to use it due to some strange issues with a new fuel pump that was workin intermittently.

Being able to see fuel, helped in the trouble shooting.

You must of ended up just running a electric pump at the tank?

Edelbrock makes a fuel line for that carb that will let you plumb the hose front to rear...

I'm not sure if this is the one, but someone makes one where you can remove the hose Barb, and attach a filter directly to it. 👍

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Not to threadjack, but maybe you guys will know and we need the help of "experts".
image.jpg
My 16 yr old son just started working on trying to resurrect a 65 Mustang coupe. 75,000 original miles, sat in a closed garage for 20 years. Yesterday it got washed, clay barred, and waxed.
Today the carb kit comes and it is the wrong one and not returnable. Everything I saw said that 200 ci motor should have an 1100 series carb.
Can anyone ID this for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 160

Xring01

Reaction score
I know nothing about the straight 6 engines...
sure all the stang forums can help you