WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

66 Chevelle project

waterhorse

Reaction score
Very nice, appears to be a pro-touring theme.:thumbup: What trans will you be using? Please say it's gonna have 3 pedals.:D :thumbup:

Reaction score
You guys should see him. He's like a kid in a candy store every time parts come to the shop. It's going to be a doozy for sure.

Can't wait to drive it! [emoji6][emoji16][emoji106]🏿

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I've made mention a couple times in this thread about another Resto or "Mistress." Here's the readers digest version.

My wife's uncle down in Tucson bought a '68 Vette, brand new. It wasn't special, just a 350, TH400 car. My wife always loved it growing up and told him one day, she would buy it. About 4 years ago he called one day and asked her if she wanted it. The car had over 300K miles on it and was completely worn out. He owned an appliance business in Tucson (Christies) and travelled a lot in the car.

Wife and I agree'd to take the car but Uncle Dan had to agree we could do a Resto mod, because neither one of us were to excited about a stock 68 automatic small block car. He answered we could burn it up if we wanted to.

We hauled it to Phoenix, I immediately began deconstruction on it. Torn it completely down to the frame. Powder coated it and began to re-construct. I had done enough research to understand what we wanted. We decided to build it to as close to modern day Z06 level as we could. We called the project "Z068"

I switched the uni-leaf rear to a coil-over system called "Shark-Bite"

rearsuspension.jpg

It went in fine, looks cool. As far as performance goes, I don't really know what to expect.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Next was for front suspension and steering. I went with Speed Direct's kit. It included upper/lower control arms, front coil-over shocks and also Steeroids R&P steering. I ordered a complete LS7 from Turn Key Engine supply. Rolling chassis wound up looking like this. Super happy at this point.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

Got the painted body back, dropped it on the chassis. Now I have essentially a done car, minus wiring, interior. I know my skill set, and understand that me attempting to make all the wiring and accessories work properly, isn't in the cards. I began to reach out to legit Hot Rod Shops to complete the car. We decided on Hot Rods by Dean in North Phoenix. He completed the car in a relatively timely manner and does off the charts good work. Here's a picture of the car in his shop.

IMG_0223.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Here's where the thing goes off the tracks. The car was nearing completion, my wife was off in Wisconsin with a friend. The car was at the alignment shop getting aligned, the LAST STEP. Car was to be handed off three days after that, Dean drives them around and de-bugs them for a few days.

I was at work, actually standing next to 460 when my cell rang. It was Dean. "Hi Steve" ummmm, welllll, you, seeeee. Your car got wrecked??.

WHAT??? Your fucking with me, right? NOPE. I still refused to believe it. Text me a picture I said. OK.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0150-2.JPG

As you can see, pretty bad eh? Some customer of the alignment shop, drove a dually over it. So now, the waiting game with the insurance guys. the car needs appraisal, the fights ensue but after two months, Dean has a check in his pocket and is now repairing the car we never drove. Looks like about 45 more days. So, thats the story of the "Mistress" its actually my wife's car.

parker ed

Reaction score
WOW, think I would of lost it during that phone call. Cool car, keep us updated.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That's an awesome car right there.

I gotta think, once complete, it'll get you to relegate those dopey bicycles to the back of the garage :p

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That's an awesome car right there.

I gotta think, once complete, it'll get you to relegate those dopey bicycles to the back of the garage :p

There are actually people who can multi-task. There's room for it all in my life!! Hell, I've been to Lake Pleasant and back this morning already (pedaling)

:thumbup:

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
There are actually people who can multi-task. There's room for it all in my life!! Hell, I've been to Lake Pleasant and back this morning already (pedaling)

:thumbup:

X2. I went for a nice ride up the coast this am.

Please keep the progress pictures and info coming. The Chevelle looks great! Bummer to see those wrecked Vette pics. Hopefully you'll be driving it soon.

The other member's cars posted in this thread all look great too. I can't wait to start on a car build.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Question- you mentioned pulling the Ls out of your truck. What's going back in the truck?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Question- you mentioned pulling the Ls out of your truck. What's going back in the truck?

NGE,
I sold that truck three years ago. I sold it on CL for 13K. it had 200,000 miles on it. The motor failed the day I sold it. I gave the guy the money back, towed it to local Chevy dealership. They diagnosed it as cam brgs, scored cylinders and mains. I opted for a replacement crate motor but wanted the core, knowing I would use it for this.

I got the core back fully assembled, nothing was ever taken off of it. I question them on it. They told me they were certain the tech did it right. I doubted them, sent the motor to Peto. He took it apart, told me there was nothing wrong other than a stuck oil pressure bypass switch. So, new motor I didn't need. We settled.

So, 6.0 Max went back in, sold truck again.

Reaction score
Here's where the thing goes off the tracks. The car was nearing completion, my wife was off in Wisconsin with a friend. The car was at the alignment shop getting aligned, the LAST STEP. Car was to be handed off three days after that, Dean drives them around and de-bugs them for a few days.

I was at work, actually standing next to 460 when my cell rang. It was Dean. "Hi Steve" ummmm, welllll, you, seeeee. Your car got wrecked??.

WHAT??? Your fucking with me, right? NOPE. I still refused to believe it. Text me a picture I said. OK.

View attachment 420923

View attachment 420924

As you can see, pretty bad eh? Some customer of the alignment shop, drove a dually over it. So now, the waiting game with the insurance guys. the car needs appraisal, the fights ensue but after two months, Dean has a check in his pocket and is now repairing the car we never drove. Looks like about 45 more days. So, thats the story of the "Mistress" its actually my wife's car.

Take the whitest you've ever seen some and add 2 more shades. That's what he looked like when he got the call. I swear he lost more hair that very moment as well:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Here's where the thing goes off the tracks...

HolY FuCK!!%^&*&^$%#$$******:yikes I would have lost it. Was it body only, or did it tweak the frame as well?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Fuck. I hate peeps working on my cars and I leave them nowhere, for this very reason.

poncho

Reaction score
Damn man, killer cars boats and travel the world....living the dream:thumbup:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
HolY FuCK!!%^&*&^$%#$$******:yikes I would have lost it. Was it body only, or did it tweak the frame as well?

No frame damage, just the entire front fiberglass clip, all the assorted grill hardware. The worst part was the original front bumper got fucked. Cant find originals anymore.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Got some pictures from Hot Rods by Dean today on the progress to the Vette.

1610 (3).jpg

1611 (2).JPG

Warlock1

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do an older vette like that. :thumbup:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Here's what Larry Peto came up with. First pulley set up was a 4" it made 8 pounds 700 ft #'s and 800HP. Second pull 3.50 inch pulley at 11 pounds (attachment) was 753 ft #'s and 858HP. Made yet a third pull with a 3.25 inch pulley. It made 799 ft #'s and 903HP @ 13-14 pounds. (attachment). The specifics are 403 inch motor, 2.9 liter Whipple, LS3 heads, 50 pounds of fuel pressure on low grade racing fuel with the same BTU characteristics of 100LL, which I will run.

Should run pretty good :D

IMG_0317-2.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Reaction score
I will go on record.

A while back I made a comment to Dave about small blocks not being able to make huge power and ft pounds. Well I'll retract that. This motor would be a monster in a boat and is going to be a monster in this car. The great bike racer told me what he was going to do and well, he did it. Congrats.

V3NMOUS

Reaction score
So many beautiful cars in this thread! You guys have excellent taste in hot rods!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Thanks Tyro. Larry commented to me that he would love to build a mid sized cat with two of these things in it. big power and shaving off HUNDREDS of pounds doing so. :thumbup:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Here's what Larry Peto came up with. First pulley set up was a 4" it made 8 pounds 700 ft #'s and 800HP. Second pull 3.50 inch pulley at 11 pounds (attachment) was 753 ft #'s and 858HP. Made yet a third pull with a 3.25 inch pulley. It made 799 ft #'s and 903HP @ 13-14 pounds. (attachment). The specifics are 403 inch motor, 2.9 liter Whipple, LS3 heads, 50 pounds of fuel pressure on low grade racing fuel with the same BTU characteristics of 100LL, which I will run.

Should run pretty good :D

View attachment 426905

View attachment 426906
Impressive to say the least,and at damn near 7k rpm.:thumbup:
Show us the rest of that chart!Would love to see the numbers down low.

Reaction score
Impressive to say the least,and at damn near 7k rpm.:thumbup:
Show us the rest of that chart!Would love to see the numbers down low.

I was shocked when I saw it hold numbers from like 3k on. It's going to be ridiculous.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Hi Gelcoater,

Here's the rest but that was essentially the end of the curve.

IMG_0327.jpg

Reaction score
I will add, a ford would have made 1000 hp. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I will add, a ford would have made 1000 hp. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Right up till it broke a piston skirt....

JBS

Reaction score
Thanks Tyro. Larry commented to me that he would love to build a mid sized cat with two of these things in it. big power and shaving off HUNDREDS of pounds doing so. :thumbup:

Sad that you will not have a mid size or Large cat to give it a try :(

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sweet! Great numbers for a blower motor on relatively low boost. Everyone knows I am a shameless LS fanboy...

A turbo 408" LS3 headed motor we did a while back is running 10.04 @ 136 - in a 5400lb 2004 extra cab 4x4 1500 GMC!

It dynoed 990 to the rear wheels, through a 4l80, transfer case and 3.73 equipped rear. That was on 19lb and E85.
The truck is like firing a lead filled brick through the air, but man does it move for a fullsize pickup!

That damn motor keeps on going, it has Chinese RPM H beam rods and 4" crank, stock 6.0 iron block, and factory L92 heads with LS9 copper coated gaskets with studs. It has the cheaper autotec forged pistons in it as well, which arent the strongest that Racetec offers. He beats on it every week and it hangs together. It even lifted the heads once when the wastegate stuck and it saw 25lb of boost....but after a fresh set of gaskets and a re-torque of the studs its still ticking.
LS motors kick ass!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
You should totally pull the big motor in the boat and see what this guy will do.

It only makes 200 less HP and must weigh 500 pounds less. It would be interesting.

Reaction score
It only makes 200 less HP and must weigh 500 pounds less. It would be interesting.

It would be very interesting.

I honestly never thought a small block would get it on like this. Never

mbrown2

Reaction score
What happened to the 1st Chevelle, it looked pretty far along...crazy I missed this thread.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What happened to the 1st Chevelle, it looked pretty far along...crazy I missed this thread.

I had a guy that "was" a customer do a bunch of work to it. He is an independent forklift mechanic. He also has built cars, one was on the cover of Hot Rod. I gave him a chance, simply because, as a small business owner, many people gave me a chance when we were starting out. Unfortunately, he fucked the body so badly, it was beyond reasonably fixable. He welded panels on really hot. the car got badly warped and I had to find another car. Took me till Friday last week.

I am having a totally legit Rod shop do it this time.

The old chassis may or may not be usable. He had narrowed it for a mini-tub. I'll know for sure, next week. If not, we'll just transfer all the suspension/brakes and rear-end over to this frame and narrow it. (for 345's)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Karma...

A good friend of mine insist, in life, one door closes and another one opens. Saturday, rivrats429 picked up "His" new boat motor. After he left, I drove over to Tempe and picked this car up. One door closed, another opened...karma.