WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

660 Raptor brake failure

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Last year at Glamis for the March trip I lost rear brakes, no pedal pressure, couldn’t bleed or pump pressure.

Rebuilt the master cylinder with Yamaha parts.
Brakes work.
Bike sits until this March trip.
On day 7 lost pedal again. Couldn’t bleed out any air, and couldn’t get pedal.

Ideas of a cause?
I suppose I’ll just order a whole new master this time.

Pretty strange. It’s an 02, I’ve owned it since new. Never had one issue ever.
Other than the wife making the rotor into a taco once, about 07.
It’s seen a bit of use since then with no issues.
To lose pedal again after a rebuild?
And to live for a week before doing it?

Icky

Reaction score
What are these brakes things you speak of on a raptor?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Iv got a set up for you off an 03 raptor, 2000 and I’ll throw in the quad too :D
Talk to me. :cool:
Does it run?
The idea of buying a complete (or close to it) parts bike is becoming more appealing.
Just spent in excess of $600 on the wife’s Honda for trinkets! Petcock, wheel studs, nuts, washers, carb parts, etc.
Or, I just dump it and stick with my two strokes:cool:
I can say the brakes on the Banshee (1987) have never, ever failed. :)

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Does it run?
The idea of buying a complete (or close to it) parts bike is becoming more appealing.
Just spent in excess of $600 on the wife’s Honda for trinkets! Petcock, wheel studs, nuts, washers, carb parts, etc.
This is what I ended up doing with my sisters Yamaha blaster. Bought an older 96 blaster without the pink for $300 and was able to salvage a ton of parts off of it.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Does it run?

Everything good on it, current tags, pink in hand.
Got it for my son when he stepped up from a 250 a couple years back. Plus got a sand rail. So my son ended up riding my 450 every trip. It literally just sits every season. Every season I get the carbs Re synched. It gets ran maybe for 20 mins ish per trip by other adults going out with their little ones around camp.

I paid 2500 for it, spent around 1000 for pipe, jetting, and tuneing.

So now it takes up room in my garage, and pay to dial it back in every season, ready to say goodbye to it.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Brakes can be really frustrating, I have to think that there is still some air trapped in the system.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Bury a body buddy had a 02/04ish YFZ450 quad for his daughter...fucker kept doing the same thing on the rear disk. New master, new caliper, new hose, new reservoir, new o rings.....I tried something new everytime we went riding, every weekend sometimes. It would work good for a weekend or two, but by the end of the weekend, no rear pedal, no rear brake. It would work and then it wouldn't. So strange.

Never did fix it that I recall.

Yellow and black, oh how I loved that bitch and I am no fan of four strokes. :)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Bury a body buddy had a 02/04ish YFZ450 quad for his daughter...fucker kept doing the same thing on the rear disk. New master, new caliper, new hose, new reservoir, new o rings.....I tried something new everytime we went riding, every weekend sometimes. It would work good for a weekend or two, but by the end of the weekend, no rear pedal, no rear brake. It would work and then it wouldn't. So strange.

Never did fix it that I recall.

Yellow and black, oh how I loved that bitch and I am no fan of four strokes. :)
Thanks, Brian.
For absolutely no solution:D
Busting balls.
I’m thinking a new mater and line from the res as well as a new rubber inside the res.
Beyond that I have you mill me the pieces to swap a banshee res to it:)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea it was fuckin frustrating. Funny to say it, but putting Banshee parts on it was the next step and then we got pregnant and stopped going to the desert. :)

Thanks, Brian.
For absolutely no solution:D
Busting balls.
I’m thinking a new mater and line from the res as well as a new rubber inside the res.
Beyond that I have you mill me the pieces to swap a banshee res to it:)

MohavValley

Reaction score
Sounds like the lines are full of crap.

Put a clear vinyl line on the caliper nipple in to a cup, crack it, press the peddle and push some new fluid through the system until it's only new fluid coming out.

If you can't get fluid through it, pull line off caliper and try to get fluid through just the line. if it still won't go through lines clogged.

What ever parts clogged, not working look for replacements on eBay.

Had warrior 350 I inherrited and one front lines was clogged solid, replaced it for $20 on eBay works like it should now.