WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

7.3 Powerstroke - Runs one minute and dies

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else doing a Google search for this issue.

I'm in the middle of the desert, just north of Trona. There is nothing around for MILES! Truck starts running funny and dies, right as we pull up to our camp spot. I start it back up, runs fine, and I limp it to the circle and park it.

We enjoy Thanksgiving and riding and now it's time to figure it out....

Once warmed up, starts and runs perfectly, for one minute and a few seconds and dies. I call the one guy I know who is a 7.3 expert, and he tells me to check the ICP sensor. Its on the cylinder head, just behind the alternator.

I unplug it, and no more stalling. I also notice the sensor is full of oil in the connector housing, a good indication that is has given up the ghost.

My nephew rides his dirt bike into Randsburg, and gets a new sensor for me. O'Riley had one for 180.00. NAPA was 118.00 I should have known to get the one at O'Rileys...

The NAPA one was a completely different design! I had to remove the engine lifting bracket to get it to fit. Good thing I had a decent set of tools with me. It also was way too big for any of the wrenches I had! My set only went to 1", luckily I had my adjustable metric wrench with me (crescent wrench) and I was able to tighten it up.

What I noticed after I installed it...

Right at the same one minute mark, the engine would shudder for a second. The computer must do some check at that point, and readjust based on what it finds. I shut it off and restarted it multiple times, and the shudder was less every time. Maybe it's always been there?? I'm totally dialed into it now, so we shall see if it disappears completely eventually.

I'm 157 miles from home. AAA only tows 100 miles!

So..................

I'm VERY thankful to my pal @Flyinbowtie I would not have figured this out without his help!!! Thanks Jeff. You are a life saver.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Some pics...

20211127_130703.jpg
20211127_130259.jpg
20211127_093419.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
Check the oil. I bet its low. Could be the cam sensor. It's rare but it may be intermittently going out. They usually just die.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Ummm...

Was I not clear about what the problem was? In case I wasn't...

The ICP sensor fixed it. Seem to run perfectly now. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
The title sounded like you needed some help. Towards the end of the post you mention a shudder. Low oil level can cause a shudder, loss of power, and stalling since the HPOP will be starved of oil. Cam sensors usually just go out but some, rare, will intermittently start to fail.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When you get home, check and probably replace the pigtail. Those things get saturated, and go to hell sometimes.

Glad you're up and running though!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When you get home, check and probably replace the pigtail. Those things get saturated, and go to hell sometimes.

Glad you're up and running though!

Thanks Kev. The good part about the NAPA one was, it DID come with a whole new pigtail. Mine looked fine. Ill clean it throughly when I get home. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
7.3's may hiccup, but can usually be patched up to limp home. If a 6.0 "hiccups", better have your 2post lift with you :oops:
Now all you die hard Chevy guys, just remember how manly that 6.5 turbo diesel was...that was the equivalent truck offered when the Powerstrokes came out.

thetub

Reaction score
7.3 junker time to upgrade and get a 6.0 ๐Ÿคช

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿšค
Reaction score
When I and many friends plus two BIL's had the 7.3's we all carried a CPS and 10mm wench in our glove boxes. I changed one out about 30 miles from home one Sunday afternoon. We also changed out another 25 miles off the pavement while at elk camp one year. We also carried a bunch of tranny fluid when those E4OD's puked the oil out of the dipstick hole.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed...the upgraded AAA does a 200 mile (premier). With all the long haul driving we do between TX and AZ, and WA/MT it saved my ass more than once.

I have the Premier! My wife told me it was only good for 100. Thankfully I didn't need it.

I thought for sure I'd be riding shotgun in a flat bed all way home!

Jeff saved my azz BIG time!

Also (unbenonced to me) another inmate on here was advising me as well. He figured it out when he saw this thread!

He doesn't post a whole lot, so if he wants to speak up, he will.

Thanks Doug! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

motormonkey

Reaction score
7.3's may hiccup, but can usually be patched up to limp home. If a 6.0 "hiccups", better have your 2post lift with you :oops:
Now all you die hard Chevy guys, just remember how manly that 6.5 turbo diesel was...that was the equivalent truck offered when the Powerstrokes came out.
Haha the 6.0 needs a lift. is good. The 6.0 is a stong engine untill it has issues. I personally liked them
The gm 6.5 was never on par with the powerstroke or anything else for that matter. LOL

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Now get a spare and keep it in the glove box. Aftermarket sensors don't seem to live very long.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Now get a spare and keep it in the glove box. Aftermarket sensors don't seem to live very long.
X2

In my 7.3 truck I carried tools and a spare of every acronym sensor that could be replaced in the truck. Including an under valve cover harness and an injector lol.

Away from home i only once had to change a cam sensor in Florida somewhere. Looking back i donโ€™t miss that truck one bit. Nowadays i have no interest in fixing something on the side of the road. My wife and kids almost always drive seperate so itโ€™s usually just me in the truck. I have a 6.7 now so iโ€™d call aaa premier plus and let them handle it. Drop the truck and trailer off (if iโ€™m towing) at my mechanic then on with my life.

catmandu

Reaction score
It was good talking to you Joe, Iโ€™m glad you got the part with no problem. When you have time look at that website I sent you, guy is sometimes annoying to listen to but he knows his stuff on Powerstroke. You got my number as I have yours, call me if your around Pirates Cove since thatโ€™s my full time house now.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It was good talking to you Joe, Iโ€™m glad you got the part with no problem. When you have time look at that website I sent you, guy is sometimes annoying to listen to but he knows his stuff on Powerstroke. You got my number as I have yours, call me if your around Pirates Cove since thatโ€™s my full time house now.

Will do bro. Small world!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
X2

In my 7.3 truck I carried tools and a spare of every acronym sensor that could be replaced in the truck. Including an under valve cover harness and an injector lol.

Away from home i only once had to change a cam sensor in Florida somewhere. Looking back i donโ€™t miss that truck one bit. Nowadays i have no interest in fixing something on the side of the road. My wife and kids almost always drive seperate so itโ€™s usually just me in the truck. I have a 6.7 now so iโ€™d call aaa premier plus and let them handle it. Drop the truck and trailer off (if iโ€™m towing) at my mechanic then on with my life.

I've owned the truck twenty years now. This is the first Real issue I've had.

Maybe I'll just go through it and replace all the sensors? Twenty years is a pretty good run! Actually almost, 22. It's 4/99 production.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

Maybe I'll just go through it and replace all the sensors? Twenty years is a pretty good run! Actually almost, 22. It's 4/99 production.
If it ainโ€™t brokeโ€ฆโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I just had new ones in stock behind the seatโ€ฆ.lol. Passed them along to the next guy. It had 165,xxx on the clock when i sold it.

In all fairness the only issues i had with my 01 was the cam position sensor, under valve cover harness came loose and a fuel pump sprung a leak. None of which left me stranded. I ran an upgraded idm but i kept the stock one behind the seat too! Mine was an auto so I was proactive with the trans and had SPE do a full build. Best thing i ever did to that truck.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

If you havenโ€™t done it already replace the stainless steel fuel line that runs behind the engine block. These are known to rub a hole into the line after vibrating for a long period. The bracket design allowed these to fail. My 2001 7.3L shit the bed a few years back before I had AAA Premier on the way home from Ocotillo Wells. I think the tow bill was just south of $1,000 ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Also check your wiring harness for your fuel injectors. The mounting brackets will break over the years and allow your harness to arc on the engine block.

These are the 2 Items that have left me stranded. But not bad over 340,000 miles

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If you havenโ€™t done it already replace the stainless steel fuel line that runs behind the engine block. These are known to rub a hole into the line after vibrating for a long period. The bracket design allowed these to fail. My 2001 7.3L shit the bed a few years back before I had AAA Premier on the way home from Ocotillo Wells. I think the tow bill was just south of $1,000 ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Also check your wiring harness for your fuel injectors. The mounting brackets will break over the years and allow your harness to arc on the engine block.

These are the 2 Items that have left me stranded. But not bad over 340,000 miles

Ill check that line. Thanks.

I did the crank sensor and valve cover gaskets/injector harnesses shortly after I bought it.

I got elected to pick up the firewood for this camping trip. Maybe the extra weight caused the sensor to fail? ๐Ÿ˜

Even having the air bags maxed out didn't help! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜‚

20211124_115956.jpg
20211124_121205.jpg

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Saw this thread and my heart sunk, thought at first you were down again, but remembered we texted last night, Ok good now.

"expert"....

Far from it brother but I did have a nice OBS for many years. I am glad I was able to help Joe.
Waterjunky owns the OBS now, or he did.

Ford 1.jpg

I am one of those guys that believe in using Motorcraft stuff on these things as well. The glow plug relays from NAPA etc are crap, and the only Glow plugs and uvch harnesses I liked, which means they worked and lasted, were Motocraft. If Clay at Riff Raff can still get them. Alliant Injectors, and Motorcraft or Alliant Injector O-rings as well. If you ever have to replace them coat them in STP to slide them in and not slice an o ring.
I am pretty sure Waterjunky got a IPR and a IPC in the bag of goodies I gave him with the truck.
Clay will know what the best CPS is to have in the truck, and I suggest you get one, install it and carry a spare, along with the info I gave you in that last text...

Joe I always run Opti-lube XPD fuel additive in the Cummins as I did in the Ford. I've seen a lot of tests done on Fuel additives in the lab and this is the stuff for lubricity and keeping the injectors and the pumps happy. The Diesel Register did a huge comparo on these products years ago and sent them out for blind tests in the lab...this stuff smoked everything else.
I run it in every tank.

Here is a pic of the toy that got me the handle.

Myfavoriteangleresized_zps1ba1a68e.JPG

You can barely see the red bow tie shaped taillight on the "whale tail" on the back of the car. This is the last rail I ever built, was done in 1996ish, sold in 2003 when my back couldn't take it anymore. People used to comment that at night the bow tie looked like it was flying up the face of the mountain, and started calling the car Flyinbowtie.
The name stuck.
It was pretty stout for its time, 1560lbs with 2 gallons of fuel. 638HP@7400 368 Chevy, Dart 220 heads, Brodix intake, Braswell 926, Crower crank, rods, Diamond pistons and all Crower valvetrain, solid roller w/rev kit and stud girdles, 12.8 to one complression...sounded sweet at about 6800 going up the face of sand mountain.

Attachments

• Myfavoriteangleresized_zps1ba1a68e.JPG
    Myfavoriteangleresized_zps1ba1a68e.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 20

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Saw this thread and my heart sunk, thought at first you were down again, but remembered we texted last night, Ok good now.

"expert"....

Far from it brother but I did have a nice OBS for many years. I am glad I was able to help Joe.
Waterjunky owns the OBS now, or he did.

View attachment 1069910
I am one of those guys that believe in using Motorcraft stuff on these things as well. The glow plug relays from NAPA etc are crap, and the only Glow plugs and uvch harnesses I liked, which means they worked and lasted, were Motocraft. If Clay at Riff Raff can still get them. Alliant Injectors, and Motorcraft or Alliant Injector O-rings as well. If you ever have to replace them coat them in STP to slide them in and not slice an o ring.
I am pretty sure Waterjunky got a IPR and a IPC in the bag of goodies I gave him with the truck.
Clay will know what the best CPS is to have in the truck, and I suggest you get one, install it and carry a spare.

Joe I always run Opti-lube XPD fuel additive in the Cummins as I did in the Ford. I've seen a lot of tests done on Fuel additives in the lab and this is the stuff for lubricity and keeping the injectors and the pumps happy. The Diesel Register did a huge comparo on these products years ago and sent them out for blind tests in the lab...this stuff smoked everything else.
I run it in every tank.

Here is a pic of the toy that got me the handle.

View attachment 1069912

You can barely see the red bow tie shaped taillight on the "whale tail" on the back of the car. This is the last rail I ever built, was done in 1996ish, sold in 2003 when my back couldn't take it anymore. People used to comment that at night the bow tie looked like it was flying up the face of the mountain, and started calling the car Flyinbowtie.
The name stuck.
It was pretty stout for its time, 1560lbs with 2 gallons of fuel. 638HP@7400 368 Chevy, Dart 220 heads, Brodix intake, Braswell 926, Crower crank, rods, Diamond pistons and all Crower valvetrain, solid roller w/rev kit and stud girdles, 12.8 to one complression...sounded sweet at about 6800 going up the face of sand mountain.

Thanks again Jeff. You saved me! ๐Ÿค—

Doug was telling me about some oil reservoir for the injectors that should probably be drained??

This was news to me and I need to investigate. Do you know about this deal as well?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I dunno if I would change all of the sensors that 7.3 , but I would have them all and put them in my stash of stuff that went with me on trips. I am out of touch in the 7.3 scene right now, but these things are not gettting any younger, pieces like ECMs, IDM's, even the speed sensors on the rear ends....it never hurts to have a spare or two. The ECM in my California 97 went from $400 on Rock auto to non existent in the space of 2 years. I had two spares, Water Junky got one and a dear friend who was able to find one in Florida for 4k got the other.
There is a way to re pin a Super Duty ECM for a OBS, but I only know one guy who has done it and I have seen it work. Lots of talkers tho...

On the reservoir...this would be the High pressure oil pump reservoir, the oil supply that feeds the pump that feed your injectors. high pressure oil. The res. looks like a rough Aluminum housing at the front of the engine behind and above the water pump area. A small pipe plug in the top. You can suck the oil out and refill with fresh, regular 15-40. I did mine twice I think, but I replaced my HPOP and had to empty it in the process.
(A modded HPOP will really wake a 7.3 up when paired with the right injectors, on an off road only vehicle scenario naturally...:))

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Thanks again Jeff. You saved me! ๐Ÿค—

Doug was telling me about some oil reservoir for the injectors that should probably be drained??

This was news to me and I need to investigate. Do you know about this deal as well?
That's just some thing years ago the powerstrokehelp guy on youtube was using to promote his name. It's more trouble than it's worth but some whack jobs swear by it.
I never bought into it and you're unscrewing and screwing a steel plug into an aluminum housing every oil change, if you change the oil on the HPOP resivior. How many times can you do that before the threads give out and I believe that housing is part of the front cover. Screw that up and the engine gets pulled.
I have 465K miles on my 7.3 and just drain the pan and change the filter. Valve covers have only been off for glow plugs by the previous owner but don't know why he changed them.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help someone else doing a Google search for this issue.

I'm in the middle of the desert, just north of Trona. There is nothing around for MILES! Truck starts running funny and dies, right as we pull up to our camp spot. I start it back up, runs fine, and I limp it to the circle and park it.

We enjoy Thanksgiving and riding and now it's time to figure it out....

Once warmed up, starts and runs perfectly, for one minute and a few seconds and dies. I call the one guy I know who is a 7.3 expert, and he tells me to check the ICP sensor. Its on the cylinder head, just behind the alternator.

I unplug it, and no more stalling. I also notice the sensor is full of oil in the connector housing, a good indication that is has given up the ghost.

My nephew rides his dirt bike into Randsburg, and gets a new sensor for me. O'Riley had one for 180.00. NAPA was 118.00 I should have known to get the one at O'Rileys...

The NAPA one was a completely different design! I had to remove the engine lifting bracket to get it to fit. Good thing I had a decent set of tools with me. It also was way too big for any of the wrenches I had! My set only went to 1", luckily I had my adjustable metric wrench with me (crescent wrench) and I was able to tighten it up.

What I noticed after I installed it...

Right at the same one minute mark, the engine would shudder for a second. The computer must do some check at that point, and readjust based on what it finds. I shut it off and restarted it multiple times, and the shudder was less every time. Maybe it's always been there?? I'm totally dialed into it now, so we shall see if it disappears completely eventually.

I'm 157 miles from home. AAA only tows 100 miles!

So..................

I'm VERY thankful to my pal @Flyinbowtie I would not have figured this out without his help!!! Thanks Jeff. You are a life saver.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Glad you got it sorted out relatively easy. It's no fun troubleshooting on the side of the road or in a campsite with your family staring at you LoL.

Food for thought for my fellow 7.3 guys:
For anyone with a similar issue in the future, there's a very simple test to see if the ICP sensor has gone bad.

With the engine idling, disconnect the ICP sensor electrical connector. If there is absolutely no change in idle the ICP sensor has gone bad. If when you unplug it and the idle drops to the point of almost dying and comes back to normal idle then you know the ICP sensor is perfectly fine.

Here's why:
When you disconnect the ICP sensor, the engine's computer loses injection control pressure reference and defaults to 700 PSI to limp you home, hence the engine idle almost dying and coming back up. But if the sensor is bad, the computer is already in limp mode thus no change in idle when disconnected.

Just for reference normal ICP reading are 470# at idle and up to 3000# while driving.

As for the sensor's physical appearance, the OEM is far different than the aftermarket. It's also worth mentioning that the OE is built with RF shielding (for whatever reason) and the aftermarket has no shielding. I've never heard of any issues with aftermarket so take with a grain of salt ๐Ÿ˜. Not sure which one R-mob had originally and switched to.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Also anyone with a 7.3 and android device would really benefit from Torque Pro when diagnosing anything. You can read live data.
Circled is ICP reference (I have it labeled as HPOP). If the ICP sensor were bad it would read 700.
Took these screenshots just now while waiting to dump my trailer. I got a long line ahead of me ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Screenshot_20211128-122834~2.png
Screenshot_20211128-123220.png

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Waterjunky owns the OBS now,
That is a good looking truck๐Ÿ‘

I had a 91 very similar.
Only real difference other than paint and running boards was it was a 460.

It did not like doing 65mph.
You could go 60 or you can go about 72.
Any speed within those numbers and it would beat the ever living shit out of me,
Empty๐Ÿ˜‰
Tried adjusting air in the bags, tire pressure, nothing helped but a load on the ass end๐Ÿ˜‚

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Also anyone with a 7.3 and android device would really benefit from Torque Pro when diagnosing anything. You can read live data.
Circled is ICP reference (I have it labeled as HPOP). If the ICP sensor were bad it would read 700.
Took these screenshots just now while waiting to dump my trailer. I got a long line ahead of me ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
View attachment 1069937 View attachment 1069938

Does that app pull fault codes too? How does it communicate with the ECU?

What's your take on the reservoir oil change deal??

Last edited:

Mototrig

Reaction score
Does that app pull fault codes too? How does it communicate with the ECU?
Yes it pulls fault codes on any vehicle with the exception of our beloved 7.3's. you need a stronger code reader like a Snap-On scan tool for our trucks. But it reads and clears codes on all of my other vehicles.

It connects with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

App and dongle are $20ish total.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Joe...

Here is another option, reads all OBDII parameters, reads and clears codes, datologs, etc. I had one in my truck. Very interesting. Ya gotta read to set it up but it can be a real value. It was to me. Shop around.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes it pulls fault codes on any vehicle with the exception of our beloved 7.3's. you need a stronger code reader like a Snap-On scan tool for our trucks. But it reads and clears codes on all of my other vehicles.

It connects with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

App and dongle are $20ish total.

Joe...

Here is another option, reads all OBDII parameters, reads and clears codes, datologs, etc. I had one in my truck. Very interesting. Ya gotta read to set it up but it can be a real value. It was to me. Shop around.

Thanks guys. I have an OTC code reader that works really well, and my SuperChips programer can read codes as well. Of course I had neither of these tools with me! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Such is life. ๐Ÿ˜

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Glad things worked out.

Sorry bud, I asked my Ferd V-10 but it was to busy choking down 5 mpg gas to give you the time of day.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So to update this...

Went to get my truck smogged and the check engine light is on. It's always on due to the tuner I use, so I clear it and go to the smog shop.

Busted. The monitors aren't set!

By the time I get back home, the check engine light is back on. Fault code is low ICP sensor output.

This is where all you guys that told me to go get a factory sensor can say...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

@Flyinbowtie @lbhsbz etc...

Went to the Ford dealership and spent 250 bucks on the factory sensor, problem solved.

Smogged and done.

Do NOT use an aftermarket ICP sensor! ๐Ÿ˜œ

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So to update this...

Went to get my truck smogged and the check engine light is on. It's always on due to the tuner I use, so I clear it and go to the smog shop.

By the time I get back home, the check engine light is back on. Fault code is low ICP sensor output.

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Went to the Ford dealership and spent 250 bucks on the factory sensor, problem solved.

Smogged and done.

You've been driving around with your check engine light on since 2021.....NOTED
:p
*Chevy Power*

lbhsbz

Reaction score
So to update this...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Smogged and done.

If you woulda listened to common sense you wouldn't have bought a Ford in the 1st place.

Told ya so.