WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

7.3L PSD

wcms_nick

Reaction score
Had a question regarding my transmission cooler on my 03' 7.3 PSD. I wanted to replace the stock transmission cooler with the 6.0L tranny cooler cause its much bigger. Coming back from the desert when it was 115 degrees it was gettiing warm. Anyone done this? have pictures? Thanks

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I would just go aftermarket. I'm sure you would get a lot more cooling at a lot less price.

wcms_nick

Reaction score
I agree I am going to try and find some products out there and talk to my diesel mechanic. Will post what I find. thanks for the response.

Moody

Reaction score
yup. bigger pan. Whats warm/hot?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Get one of those larger pans with the cooling fins built in plus get a huge aftermarket trans cooler.

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
6.0 tranny cooler works great on the 7.3s. :thumbsup

wcms_nick

Reaction score
Had my diesel mechainc take it home for the night. He is thinking its a cooling issue which could be many things. On Monday he is going to see what the output of the tranny pump is and go from there. Oil is clean, smells good, and shifts normal so we will see. Will post what he finds...

79schiada

Reaction score
I put a Mag Hytec on mine and haven't run over 200 degrees, even while pulling a 38' enclosed trailer. It is an extended pan and adds a lot of extra fluid to aid in cooling and uses the aluminum ribs as a heat sink.

wcms_nick

Reaction score
Figured it out. Was the fan clutch. I could here it coming on but it never engaged fully...or was slipping. If you spin the fan you could feel it was hard to turn and then would "slip" and would not engage. Towed to the desert last weekend and nothing got hot but I did get a speeding ticket trying to make hot. Damn