WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

7.8 earthquake in Turkey

hallett21

Reaction score
Sounding like already 200 people found dead.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Every couple years it seems they get a massive one. I wonder if they have smaller ones constantly, like SoCal, or if it just builds until it pops?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just like Northridge, hit at 4am in the morning. Super sad deal, they say death toll will be in the thousands. 😔😔
Was just hearing on the radio a 7 story apartment building collapsed...thought of all the images of the apartments in Northridge, and they were only a few stories tall:confused:

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I can't imagine two quakes over 7 and then so many aftershocks 5 or more. My earthquake app is going off like crazy. It's just terrible the death and destruction.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Where are the "Pray for Turkey/Syria" and flags covering profile pics on social media?

Seriously, when things like this happen in western countries, there is an outpouring of sympathy. What a tragic event :(

4Waters

Reaction score
Check out the date on this article 😳

Screenshot_20230206_191944_Chrome.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
My wife is working on a seismometer that will eventually end up on the moon... It was running just north of Pasadena, and can clearly see the turkey quake (and aftershocks). The nerds are going nuts looking thru the data!!! Just over 7,000 miles if you're wondering

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Jesus. I mean I’m sure there’s plenty of these predictions. But this is inside 60 days.

This guy was inside 3 and predicted the epicenter

Im surprised they didn’t just use a floating 18 month window for their predictions like the RDP Financial Armageddonists.

Taboma

Reaction score
This guy was inside 3 and predicted the epicenter

Im surprised they didn’t just use a floating 18 month window for their predictions like the RDP Financial Armageddonists.
No instead he used an exact date of "Sooner or later", would seem 'sooner' was the correct answer.
Given this 'Someday' information, or the equally ambiguous Japanese prediction, how is the public supposed to react or prepare exactly ?
Pretty difficult to live ones daily life for who knows how long, constrained to some 'Earthquake Safe' protocol because somebody predicts a massive earthquake at some undefined moment in the future.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No instead he used an exact date of "Sooner or later", would seem 'sooner' was the correct answer.
Given this 'Someday' information, or the equally ambiguous Japanese prediction, how is the public supposed to react or prepare exactly ?
Pretty difficult to live ones daily life for who knows how long, constrained to some 'Earthquake Safe' protocol because somebody predicts a massive earthquake at some undefined moment in the future.

So you are saying that proclaiming “18 months till the end” over and over for a decade is a better way to get your point across?

I’d say the guy that said “Someday there is gonna be a big earthquake right here” and then there was one right there where he pointed to has a little more credibility.

That said I’ve heard there is going to be a big earthquake in So Cal my entire life.

Taboma

Reaction score
So you are saying that proclaiming “18 months till the end” over and over for a decade is a better way to get your point across?

I’d say the guy that said “Someday there is gonna be a big earthquake right here” and then there was one right there where he pointed to has a little more credibility.

That said I’ve heard there is going to be a big earthquake in So Cal my entire life.
I not suggesting useful validity to the either the 18 months you're referring to, or too 'some day' earthquake predictions.
Like you, I've lived my entire rather long life under the cloud of sliding off into the blue Pacific. I've experienced earthquakes, but have lived in areas where I didn't get thumped to hard.
Had somebody predicted that within a week there'd be a horrific earthquake, perhaps I'd try to avoid being in or under high-rise structures ?

I've found that the ONLY time I've seriously thought about a large quake was when I was working in a high-rise, backed up in traffic sitting in the middle of the Coronado Bridge, or especially that bouncing and undulating overpass transitioning from 15N to 91W stuck in traffic. I hate that damned bridge.

I know one thing, I'd sure as hell hate to be in one of those places when I get some Earthquake alert, saying the big one was going to hit in about 30 seconds --- Ahhhh Fuck :eek:😖

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Those who the builders bribed will be those same that prosecute them.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Heartbreaking the amount of dead. Hopefully many of them didn't suffer.

4Waters

Reaction score
It's mind boggling, most of us here know what it would take to bend steel like that but the average citizen doesn't

4Waters

Reaction score

A couple of these look weird, like altered but I don't know. Check out 4:20 the guy in the crane had to of shit his pants

Icky

Reaction score
Guy driving the car at 7:17 when the building collapsed 🤯

A couple of these look weird, like altered but I don't know. Check out 4:20 the guy in the crane had to of shit his pants

4Waters

Reaction score
I enjoy watching the raw power of mother nature, this one has some good footage