WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

7 MARINE OUTBOARDS TO BE RETIRED

GETBOATS

Reaction score
In an announcement earlier in the week, the Volvo Group outlined a plan to hit science-based targets in order to become a net-zero emissions operation, citing a project to develop and commercialize fuel-cell systems — with commercial trucks as the initial focus.

To do its part, Volvo Penta says it is significantly accelerating its own sustainability projects to reach zero emissions via fossil-free, renewable fuels, electric and hybrid technology.

To meet these goals, they have announced that Seven Marine outboard production will be halted and phased out once current demand is met.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I had thought I read that GM is not making any more marine LSAs... so that is probably why.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
I believe its all about units produced to meet a very small demand, there just aren't that many transoms for engines like these. Have no idea their yearly unit production, but I'd bet it would shock us as to how few. Merc and Yamaha develop these big engines with plans to use that new technology elsewhere in the line helping to defray costs.

hallett21

Reaction score
The market that they make sense for is tiny.

From a practical standpoint there are way more Merc and Yamaha mechanics and part vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That's too bad, I think they're badass. But as said the markets small.
Good for the seven guys to see what's coming and sell out.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm surprised they lasted this long. Its a small market with other options. (Merc)

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Merc caught up to them and has plans for bigger outboards in the works I am sure
Totally agree was my first thought ...in fact I had assumed they were toast when Merc introduced the current generation.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Way too expensive. That was the real problem

guest hs

Reaction score
Why would Volvo buy the company and axe it in just a couple years? Doesn’t make sense to me. That was a expensive bad decision

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Why would Volvo buy the company and axe it in just a couple years? Doesn’t make sense to me. That was a expensive bad decision

I think we all underestimate how big the outboard market is.

1. Volvo needed inroads and thought theycould spin Seven into a big cc market mover with Volvo parts and service backing.

2. Then yamaha came out w 425 which was positioned directly at Seven Marine style boats (big offshore multi engine boats)

3. Mercury racing 450

4. BRP dumps evinrude off a cliff

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Volvo Penta has been notorious for making bad marine industry business decisions for decades. Only thing consistent about Volvo has been their inconsistency. You would have thought they would have learned their lesson by now - stick to trucks, autos and commercial vehicles.....stuff they do well.

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
Volvo Penta has been notorious for making bad marine industry business decisions for decades. Only thing consistent about Volvo has been their inconsistency. You would have thought they would have learned their lesson by now - stick to trucks, autos and commercial vehicles.....stuff they do well.
Volvo the manufacturer sold the Volvo car brand to Ford in 1999. Ford sold it to the Chinese company Geely in 2009.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Volvo the manufacturer sold the Volvo car brand to Ford in 1999. Ford sold it to the Chinese company Geely in 2009.

learn something new every day, Ford is helping the chinese!

84miller

Reaction score
If it was profitable, they would have stayed in business. Yamaha, Honda, Merc, Evenrude are still going strong. I can also say, outboards sales are huge outside of the USA. I could however see a decline in I/O, with the outboards being produced currently.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

My secret hope although I sincerely doubt that it will ever be a reality is that this is just the first step in Volvo buying Evinrude from BRP. They honestly should have done it 20years ago when they bought the other half of OMC out of BK

According to my Volvo rep, Volvo has been struggling to make them dependable since they bought them. They had plans to make a smaller engine to put in the lineup with the 7marine name on it also, like a 250 or a 300.

The biggest problem is Volvo has always struggled with logistics. All this covid bs really exasterbated that and it made it even harder for them with all the specialty parts that the 7s used (it took me 5months to get a pair of analog trim senders for a DPSD drive exchange program on a boat that was started back in July). Combine that with a nonexistant dealer network for these outboards like mentioned above and it just made it too costly of an endeavor.

Like I said, they really screwed the pooch when they opted not to take over OMCs outboard division when they had the chance and a dealer network was still in place.