WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

72 Hondo Restore

78Southwind

Reaction score
This is a friend of mines boat who was originally owned by his father. The boat has been sitting since the early 80’s. This is one of the first boats that I learned to ski on back in the late 70’s. My fiend is on a budget so he been restoring as time and money allows.

This is several pictures of the boat back in the late 70's. The hull was painted light blue and gold after it was purchased in 1972.
167672_Hondo.JPG

This is how he received it from his father in 2006.
72_Hondo_PreRestore.jpg

72_Hondo_PreRestore_Transom.jpg

72_Hondo_PreRestore_Rigging.jpg

72_Hondo_PreRestore_Rigging1.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
He ended up gutting the boat so he could work on the floor.
72_Hondo_PreRestore_Parts.jpg

Except for a couple set-backs the engine was in good shape.
72_Hondo_Restore_PrePaint.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_Primer.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_White.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_Engine.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
Almost finished for now. He still needs to work on the trailer and couple other things. I think he did a great job with doing all the work himself and the limited resources he had.

72_Hondo_Restore_Blue_Deck.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_Blue_Side.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_Blue_Side1.jpg

72_Hondo_Restore_Blue_Transom.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now this is a GREAT THREAD!! :)

Nice job on the restoration!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

RD

78Southwind

Reaction score
I'll put up a couple more if I find some time. He's done about 5 or 6 buggies over the years and is currently working on a friend of ours 20' jet boat.

DtB

Reaction score
Nice Job I saw that when it was for sale.Too far for me to travel so i bought a '68 Wickens from a guy in Fresno instead I am doing the wood deck now I need to learn to post pics and I can show everyone what I got going on Ive been Lurking a Hot Boat for years but I signed up with river Dave Right on River dave

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
O.K., now that Im a member of this site, I can figure out how to upload the rest of the pictures.

GARY.:beer

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
Nice Job I saw that when it was for sale.Too far for me to travel so i bought a '68 Wickens from a guy in Fresno instead I am doing the wood deck now I need to learn to post pics and I can show everyone what I got going on Ive been Lurking a Hot Boat for years but I signed up with river Dave Right on River dave

This site is nice.

GARY.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

DtB, if you have any questions on how to post pics feel free to PM me or Forensic and we can help you out! (That goes for everyone BTW)

Short answer is, when you start a thread or post in a thread there will be a box down below where you write (way down below) that says "manage attachments" click that and then "browse" your hard drive for the pics you want to upload. Find the pic and then click "upload" just to the right of that and whallah your done. You can upload up to 10 pics at a time.

Now that you joined, I'm DEFINATELY interested in seeing your wood deck project!!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
O.K., now that Im a member of this site, I can figure out how to upload the rest of the pictures.

GARY.:beer

See the post I just wrote to DtB (right above)

If you have any problems feel free to shoot me a PM! If I'm online I'll walk you through it step by step!

Definately looking forward to seeing more pics of this rig, as well as the rails you built!! :)

RD

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
nice thread, history, before shots, during shots, after shots. boat looks great.

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
Thanks Guys but, theres still alot more to do:smackhead

I will find some more pics and if I cant post for some reason Ill give them to 78Southwind:D:D

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
That is cool. I've always liked those style boats, but don't know a damn thing about them.
Ya know, there is something very special, (to me anyway) about taking a boat, car or whatever, that has been in a family for a couple of generations and restoring it to its former glory with your own two hands. I have a lot of respect for anybody that does that kind of stuff, which, in essence, amounts to preserving the history of your family for the next generation to enjoy, learn about, and care for.
kudos to you...

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
That is cool. I've always liked those style boats, but don't know a damn thing about them.
Ya know, there is something very special, (to me anyway) about taking a boat, car or whatever, that has been in a family for a couple of generations and restoring it to its former glory with your own two hands. I have a lot of respect for anybody that does that kind of stuff, which, in essence, amounts to preserving the history of your family for the next generation to enjoy, learn about, and care for.
kudos to you...

I have wanted this boat for years and years, I had to buy it from my Dad:hmm, I think that showed him that I had a little respect for the boat and him insted of just a gimmie because I want it...I started the restore and got along way with it and then went through a lay-off so money got tight. I put it up for sale on Hot Boat and got a few offers and almost got rid of it. Something happened that the boat couldnt be towed and I never fixed it, THANK GOD I DIDNT!!!! Now Im so glad I didnt let it go... There´s alot of blood and sweat from mine and my Dads hands in that boat! The way it looks now Im glad I kept it and put the work into it, it´s not perfect but its still in the family. Thats what counts! Now in 2-3 weeks it will touch water again after 30 years. I would like to pass it on to my son in the sig. because thats what I was doing about his age on the same aluminum. My goal is to take my Dad for a ride and crack a beer in it.....:beer

GARY.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Gary
Put up some pictures of the jumper seats or e-mail them to me. I can't believe that I actually use to fit in those seats. Even though they are small it's still a pretty cool set-up for a flat-bottom ski boat.:eek::D

78Southwind

Reaction score
What would also be cool is if you could find some of that old video your parents had of the Hondo. The video that I always got the biggest kick out of was when your Dad or Timmy got a little too close to the guy fishing. :D

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
Pics of the jump seats...Ill try it.

Attachments

• jump_seats 002.jpg
    jump_seats 002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 341
  • jump_seats 006.jpg
    jump_seats 006.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 343

DtB

Reaction score
This is my 71 hondo on Tahoe

Attachments

• Hondo.jpg
    Hondo.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 354

DtB

Reaction score
Good lookin little fellow '72 Hondo

DtB

Reaction score
scan0016.jpg Thanks- My Hondo had a Hall Craft V drive too-Guy sold it to me with a car oil pan on it, and it didn't run. I worked on it and learned alot. I run on Tahoe not a great lake for these boats but it had been set up for ski racing The plate helps a bunch .Here's a pretty famous Hondo and the guy driving it invented the adj cav Ray Casseli Panic Mouse BFF007
Bitchen!

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
Mine has a Hall Craft-Menkins in it also and was originally set up to ski race.

GARY.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
View attachment 383 Thanks- My Hondo had a Hall Craft V drive too-Guy sold it to me with a car oil pan on it, and it didn't run. I worked on it and learned alot. I run on Tahoe not a great lake for these boats but it had been set up for ski racing The plate helps a bunch .Here's a pretty famous Hondo and the guy driving it invented the adj cav Ray Casseli Panic Mouse BFF007
Bitchen!
Saw this boat many times at the old ski-land in Perris and Long Beach. These were really good ski race boats back in the day.
hondo 2.jpg

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the re-build with us. Sure brings back memories of the old days...

Steve

CauseforDivorce

Reaction score
The new floor is on its way! Time to get rid of all the stains from years in the weather...

GARY.