WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

'73 Sanger Flat - Another Winter Restoration Thread

sintax

Reaction score

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Also, dropped off the engine with Barry (Obnoxious001) for a rebuild with some upgrades.

Sort of a teaser shot of the engine as it left today. I made Pete promise to cover it up since it won't be going into the boat right away!

attachment.php

cofooter

Reaction score
Sort of a teaser shot of the engine as it left today. I made Pete promise to cover it up since it won't be going into the boat right away!

attachment.php

Thanks again Barry, you're the best!

Last edited:

1homeblown

Reaction score
Finally had a few back to back 80 degree days in Colorado so was able to lay down epoxy. Put down four coats on the stringers and floors. Also, had some carbon fiber left over so I blinged out the toe kick and supports. Now I'll spend the next few weeks sanding a good portion of that epoxy off to make it super smoooooth and prep for clear.

View attachment 646959 View attachment 646960 View attachment 646961

Floors came out sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
Floors came out sweet!!

Thanks, Steve! I'm pretty pleased. Almost went with veneer but decided to try the veil since I already had it. There is a lot of sanding coming up as I'm sure you know!!

1homeblown

Reaction score
Totally! Bitchin project. [emoji1303] Can’t wait to see it all together.

cofooter

Reaction score
New seat bases nearly done. I'm going to take them down to the upholstery guy to make sure they don't need any additional tweaks then I'll saw out the middle section underneath, water proof the plywood and drop them off.
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Awesome project Pete !
You are doing a great job. All the hard work will be worth it in the end.

Thanks for giving me a heads up to your thread.
All the best,
Brian

cofooter

Reaction score
Thanks Brian and thanks for the advice about the Duratec. Been busy with boating and other summer stuff but looking forward to start pushing the rock again soon!

cofooter

Reaction score
Little more progress after taking a long break. After sanding everything to 180, I laid in the stripes with blue pigmented epoxy. Also installed the tow kick and deck supports. A little more prep and it will be ready for clear on the inside.
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG

wzuber

Reaction score
Jeezus that looks cool.
Indeed!!!! beautiful, classy look. Nice attention to detail. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project, no doubt it will be stunning and unique. Good work Cofooter.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Damn Pete! that boat is coming out bitchin!!

cofooter

Reaction score
Indeed!!!! beautiful, classy look. Nice attention to detail. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project, no doubt it will be stunning and unique. Good work Cofooter.
Thank you, sir!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Very nice work on the floor, sir. Looks absolutely bitchin. And after blueprinting the bottom of my boat, I can appreciate the sanding!:D

cofooter

Reaction score
looking great guys, floors look super clean and love the Ford power as well!
As far as I can tell, that is the original engine. Right vintage and only one set of holes in stingers/engine rails. Trying to keep it old school!

lenmann

Reaction score
Wow, that looking great!

What clear product did you use and how are you applying it?

cofooter

Reaction score
Wow, that looking great!

What clear product did you use and how are you applying it?

Thanks, kinda a long story. Was totally sold on Duratec based on some advice I received from Dryhoze and some others. but I don't have the equipment/knowledge/space to spray it. Plus it is a polyesther based product and I had issues with polyesther based product curing right over the epoxy I used so I chickened out (I was previously going to do the blue stripes with gelcoat but had issues on a test piece). In any case, I found a one part epoxy based product called Revolution that could be rolled on and then tipped. It flows out super good and the surface is very hard. Will still need to wetsand afterwards but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

cofooter

Reaction score
I painted the sides and transom black as well as the floor by the rudder area where it was just glass. Also, started fitting the tanks. I'm using wood blocks that will be bonded to the floors to mount the brackets like I've see a lot of you guys do. Originally the brackets were though bolted up through the bottom of the hull. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

IMG_2259.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Fliipped the boat over this weekend. I was pretty nervous having never done it before. Had my neighbor (in the pic) come over and help me out but I could of easily done it myself. It came over very smooth with one strap on the bow eye and one strap through the drain hole in the transom. I propped it up so I can work on some stress crack areas around the gunnels then I'll lower it down back on the wheels and work on the bottom.
IMG_2263.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG
IMG_2270 (1).JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Looking awesome Pete !!
Thanks, Brian! Just read your thread again, I'm looking at the pile of aluminum I need polished and kinda wishing I had a couple of teenage sons to take care of it....... it's a daunting task!

cofooter

Reaction score
Making a little more progress. I reinforced the gunnel / deck shape from underneath with a layer of 1708 cloth and added some reinforcement to areas that had stress cracking in the gel so they hopefully don't come back after I repair them. Also, started patching some gouge marks underneath where it look like it ran onto the rocks at some point and/or had a run in with the trailer. Had to re-build a section of chine in the rear to restore the profile. The rest of the bottom is super flat with no humps or hollows and the gel is in good shape for the most part. Just about ready for primer. Also, started polishing my big pile of parts.
IMG_2288.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG

cofooter

Reaction score
Thought I'd provide an update. Haven't completely stopped work on the project, but it's been sporadic with work travel and holiday, plus, it sucks working in a 10 degree garage. Found a warm day to spray primer and then got is blocked down. Ready for another coat of primer when it warms up and then off to a heated paint booth for the bottom.

20190106_163902.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Looking good Pete!

You really should insulate and drywall that garage. ;)

Wheeler

Reaction score
Haha, I'll have to fly you out here when it's 120 in Parker to help me do it!

Fuck that! Drive out here and spend a few days and take me and my tools back with you then do it one more time. ;)

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Pete,
Awesome job !
The floors are bad ass.

Hey I’ve got a quick question .
Is it possible to pm me your number?

All the best ,
Brian

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Nice job on your flatty,
Footer what did you use to hold your hull up in midair to put on the dolly?
i could see a cherry picker on on end but cant see the other end.
I would like to do some welding on my campbell's trailer but haven't come up with way to move this tank off the trailer.
I have thought of using the trees , but i need room to pull trailer out.
Any Idea's

cofooter

Reaction score
Nice job on your flatty,
Footer what did you use to hold your hull up in midair to put on the dolly?
i could see a cherry picker on on end but cant see the other end.
I would like to do some welding on my campbell's trailer but haven't come up with way to move this tank off the trailer.
I have thought of using the trees , but i need room to pull trailer out.
Any Idea's

I attached a hook to the garage door header, lifted the front first and put the chain over the hook to suspend the front, then moved the engine hoist and lifted the back. The hull is somewhere about 500llbs or less so it was easy. For a heavy boat you may want to do the same thing with a tree or maybe wedge a 4x4 in between the garage header and floor wide enough to get your trailer out just to give the header some additional support.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
This old Beast is heavy, it has four 12 X 2 stringers
I didnt think the bow eye would hold the weight.

cofooter

Reaction score
This old Beast is heavy, it has four 12 X 2 stringers
I didnt think the bow eye would hold the weight.
Good point, it would be a bummer to find out it won't......... maybe something with straps underneath the hull instead. I have heard of people using jacks under the boat and slowly working the trailer out by moving jacks and replacing them with something the boat can sit on like old tires or stacks of wood, few inches at a time......

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've been slacking on keeping up on some of the other build threads here. Glad I took a moment and following now!

I'm not even finished with my Ultra and all of a sudden I'm getting an itch to pull my Howard of the garage and finally finish it.

Thanks for that lol

cofooter

Reaction score
This disease spreads fast, post some pics when you do

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes it does. The Ultra is number 6 for me and the first 1 that'll be finished and I plan to keep too. The Howard was number 2 and I stopped when I moved to TX. Took it back up for a little while but stopped again when I started working for a new shop. It's been sitting so long, I'm gonna have to go through the engine again lol

wettrthebettr

Reaction score

Ditto on that, the rash that consumes your skin, called glasschitis.
if this glasschitis attacts you, rub your mothers Nylons with the direction of your hair, it will pull the glass out.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Thankfully I'm not a glass guy nor do ihave any desire to be. I like dirty, oily, greasy, engines and lots and lots of wires. I pawn the glass stuff off on my friends! Lol

cofooter

Reaction score
I talked to the painter and he wants to paint it all at once and flip it over himself vs me bringing it to him upside down first and then right side up later. So I flipped it over when I was done with the work on the bottom and started straightening the deck and grinding out stress cracks on top. Some of those cracks went into the fiberglass so will have to patch those with glass. Also, got some underwater gear and seat brackets back from the powder coater.
20190209_155008.jpg
20190210_180506.jpg
20190207_194806.jpg