WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

75 Car Care Tips....

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
does that mean RD owns readers digest?:confused:

BajaMike

Reaction score
"Put less strain on your engine and automatic transmission by shifting to neutral at red lights" ???

That one is a really stupid suggestion.....I pretty sure that (shifting to neutral at every stoplight) is harder on your car then leaving it in gear.

Dumb!:confused:

And I never would have thought of this one....

"Drive with care every day and your car will reward you with longer intervals without repair. ":fsakes

Dah......:D

maxwedge

(Maximus Wedge-i-mus)
Reaction score
"Place your car in neutral at red lights to save transmission wear.":D Wow I bet the shift linkage & related sensors, shift lock & valve body components, clutches bands & solenoids, will love that theory after being cycled thousands of extra times over the life of the car. Not to mention it will be damn near impossible react fast enough to avoid being rear ended should the need arise. I think I take my chances of the friction from the transmission fluid wearing through the torque converter and pump since thats about the only things moving in an automatic transmission in drive when the car is at rest.

sleekcraft80

Reaction score
I was always told that when you break in a new car or engine, just drive it like you would any other car you owned. I had a 66 chevelle with a 402 in it that had just been rebuilt. I drove it around the block to warm it up then got into really hard to see what it would do. After that, the only problem I ever had with the engine was at that time I couldn't afford roller rockers so I was breaking rocker arms in half when I really got on it.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I do the same thing.

I was always told that when you break in a new car or engine, just drive it like you would any other car you owned. I had a 66 chevelle with a 402 in it that had just been rebuilt. I drove it around the block to warm it up then got into really hard to see what it would do. After that, the only problem I ever had with the engine was at that time I couldn't afford roller rockers so I was breaking rocker arms in half when I really got on it.