WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

78 Southwind Rebuild

78Southwind

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I decided to put some money into my old 78’ Southwind Jet Boat which started the rekindling of my love for the river. I have owned the boat since I was 20 years old which is just over 18 years now.

The first thing I started with was a place diverter after the initial price shock was over with I couldn’t believe I owned the boat for this long without the diverter. I decided on the hydraulic control mostly because of the space that the manual floor control takes up but also because of the infinite amount of adjustability that the hydraulic control provides. The drivability of the boat was so much better and I could actually see without the bow blocking my forward vision.

Diverter_Off_Bowl.JPG

Pump_Diverter.JPG

Next, I decided since most of my gauges didn’t work it was about time to buy a new set of Auto Meter Pro Comp Marine gauges. I purchased the gauges along with new bezels, a steering wheel, shifter, fuel fills and the place diverter all from Rex Marine. I also replaced the carpet and molding which I purchased from L&L Marine.

sSouthwind_Dash.JPG

Here’s a couple pictures of the boat at Elsinore a month later.
sSW_Elsinore5_14_04.JPG

1676Jeff_Elsinore5_14_04.JPG

Here's a picture of my buddy learing how to scuba dive I mean knee board.:D
1676Shane_Elsinore5_14_04.JPG

Here’s a picture the boat at Topock about 4 months later.
sSouthwind_Topock1.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
Later that year Kwicherbichen PMed me and asked if I wanted the boat in Hot Boat. The boat ended up appearing in the Nov. / Dec. issue of 2004.

1676Southwind_Hotboat1.JPG

1676Southwind_Hotboat6.jpg

1676Hotboat.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
I ended up changing out the dual carburetors for a single 830 Holley with an Edelbrock Air Gap for the intake. I purchased the Holley from e-bay and had it re-worked while the Air Gap was bought from Summit Racing. The midrange really picked up and the top end increased a couple miles an hour to 63 MPH. I also purchased some new valve covers and an air scoop from some hot boat members.

1676Holley_830.JPG

1676Holley_830_ChevyOrange1.jpg

1676aig_gap.bmp

1676Last_River_Trip_78Southwind.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
The Southwind’s engine threw a rod at the 2005 Classic Boat Beach Bash so the next project was to search for a BBC 4 bolt block for the foundation of the Southwinds new power plant.

My buddy Roger towed me to Topock and I was giving him "he's number one" while he was taking the picture.
sRoger_is_Number1.jpg

My search was over when I talk to a friend of mine that had the block, crank, rods and pistons that I needed. The parts had been sitting for over 10 years and had a lot of surface rust but they were actually in good shape. The pistons had never been installed and I had to contact Federal-Mogul to find out that the part number 7060P crossed over to the new TRW 2399f60 part number.

16764Bolt_Block.JPG

16764Bolt_Block2.JPG

1676Engine_Parts.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
The crank was magged and micro polished. After the block was steam cleaned it was then pressure checked and the deck and align bore was checked. It ended up needing a power hone. The crank and block cleaned up real good and got a good bill of health. Then the rods were resized and rotating assembly was balanced.

1676sSpeed_Pro_Piston.JPG

1676Polished_Forged_Crank.JPG

16764Bolt_Block_Finished.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
Short Block Finished
sShort_Block_Finished.JPG

sShort_Block_Bottom.JPG

I did a little research on flow numbers and similar builds and I came to the conclusion that the rectoval Edelbrock heads (#61459 - 110 cc) would suit my needs for a mid size build. For a period of time I was contemplating sticking with my 049 Chevy heads or using the Edelbrock rectangular heads (118 cc). After comparing flow numbers and researching the cost to work over my 049 heads it just didn’t make sense. If I used my 049 heads I would have only saved a couple hundred dollars by keeping the 049 heads. To make the decision between the rectoval and rectangular heads I contacted board members and eventually an Edelbrock tech. The tech reassured me that my research was correct and he agreed that rectoval would be a better fit for my build.

1676Cylinder_Heads_Specs.JPG

1676Cylinder_Heads_FlowDate.JPG

1676GM_049_Iron_OvalPort.jpg

I purchased the following parts from Summit Racing for those that don't know Summit Racing will match internet pricing. I saved over $150 on these heads because they matched and then beat www.flatlanderracing.com prices. The pistons with the Edelbrock heads (110 cc) create a compression ratio of just over 9.6:1.

1676sEdelbrock_Head61459.JPG

1676sEngine_Parts_Box.JPG

sClevite77_Bearings.jpg

I also saved another $50 on the cam kit.
Cam_Kit.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
I was bouncing back and forth between the following two cams but I ended up going with the XM278H.

1676XM_278_Cam_Application.jpg

1676XM_278_Cam.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the engine it's a Lew Larson Racing 467 BBC with an estimated 500 HP.

1676sEngine_Finished1.JPG

1676sEngine_Finished.JPG

Dyno 2000 Sheet
Dyno2000_467BBC_DualPlane.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
I put the cam info up it's just a mild cam......Next week pump work...........:D

DtB

Reaction score
What cam did you go with? your motor looks sweet

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The whole program is looking Sweet!!!

I'm going to read through it more in detail when I get a few minutes. :)

RD

78Southwind

Reaction score
This is what I started with a berkeley 12-JC-A
Pump_Diverter1.JPG

I first measured the hydraulic and cable lines in anticipation that they would be long enough to reach the extended position of the diverter after the new bowl and drop snoot were installed.
Hydraulic_Diverter.JPG

Next I pulled the transom housing off exposing the bowl and suction housing. I would recommend if you plan on pulling the transom housing off regularly don’t use 3M 5200 like I did it’s great stuff but a pain to get off the transom.
Transom_Housing_Off1.JPG

I found an easy was to remove the suction housing from the intake after removing the bolts is to place a jack under the bowl and slowly jack the bowl up to break it loose.
Pump_Off_Suction_Housing.JPG

Bowl with Pump Suction Housing
Pump_Suction_Housing1.JPG

Impeller and Shaft
Impeller_Shaft.JPG

Intake with stock loader
Berkeley_Intake.JPG

78Southwind

Reaction score
I ended up taking the pump to TPR and Tommy had a used AT Bowl that already had a stuffer plate and some detail work on the intake side of the bowl for a pretty good price.
1676sPump_Finished.JPG

Tommy also installed the AT Droop Snoot with a 2* down wedge, 1* tapered shoe, loader, ride plate set at 2* and detailed the impeller.
1676sPlate.JPG

1676sOpen_Loader_Shoe_Plate.JPG

1676sOpen_Loader.JPG

167678Southwind_Bar_Sux.JPG

wolfie

Reaction score
I really like the blonde and brunnett seat covers!!!!!
By the way, the boat looks good too.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Thanks guys some day I will get the interior done. I know it is just an 18' Southwind Jet and that there was a bunch of these made and splashed over the years but the boat is my first boat that I had ever purchased. The boat is somewhat apart of me with over 18 years of memories. I have driven this boat all over the Colorado River from Lake Mead to Big River. I almost sold it back in 1992 but I remembered my Dad telling me he wished he still had his first Muscle Car. That is what has kept me from selling the boat over the last 18 years. Thanks Dad.

jrork

Reaction score
Very cool boat and thread. I love these kind of threads. Congrats. It turned out fantastic........john

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
I almost sold it back in 1992 but I remembered my Dad telling me he wished he still had his first Muscle Car. That is what has kept me from selling the boat over the last 18 years. Thanks Dad.

Weird. My :monkeypee dad tells me at least weekly that I should sell my Tahiti. I always laugh at him. Your Southwind looks sweet! How fast is it with the new motor?

PropCop

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The Southwind’s engine threw a rod at the 2005 Classic Boat Beach Bash so the next project was to search for a BBC 4 bolt block for the foundation of the Southwinds new power plant.

My buddy Roger towed me to Topock and I was giving him "he's number one" while he was taking the picture.
sRoger_is_Number1.jpg
Yeah!!! One of my favorite photos. I still crack up how my cap snuck into the photo.

And you still have MY license plate.......lmao. Thanks.....:fsakes
Nicely put together Jerry. If I wasnt so lazy I would do one on mine.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Weird. My :monkeypee dad tells me at least weekly that I should sell my Tahiti. I always laugh at him. Your Southwind looks sweet! How fast is it with the new motor?

She starts to porpoise at WOT so if I had to guess I would say mid 70’s. However, if I could get the boat to settle down maybe closer to eighty.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Yeah!!! One of my favorite photos. I still crack up how my cap snuck into the photo.

And you still have MY license plate.......lmao. Thanks.....:fsakes

Nicely put together Jerry. If I wasnt so lazy I would do one on mine.

So you made it over to this place.:beer You should put your Southwind up you have a pretty good story especially the price you paid for yours.

Do you have any plans for the river this year?