WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8-71 10-71 12-71 blower?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Just asking outloud here. :)

Say you wanted to make 8-10 psi max on a sub 500inch with a chiller, for adiabatic efficiency, I think it would be better to spin a bigger blower slower than spin a smaller blower faster.

I know turbos and EFI are the way to go, but way more complex install and doesn't have the oldchool cool look of a supercharger and carburetors.

What say ye?

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
What are you to good for a 14-71? :D

Too. ;) :)

Cause it is way overkill. :) Plus it gets in the way of the distributor on a Chevy. On a Mopar, heeeellllllyes, not so much. ;)

Prolly could make that boost with an 8, but spinning it hard, thinkin spinning the 10 slower would work. Just picking peeps brains.

Brian

4Waters

Reaction score
Way overkill. :) Plus it gets in the way of the distributor on a Chevy. On a Mopar, heeeellllllyes, not so much. ;)

Prolly could make that boost with an 8, but spinning it hard, thinkin spinning the 10 slower would work. Just picking peeps brains.

Brian
Shut your mouth "overkill" that's what they said to Ronnie Barrett when he said I want to make a shoulder fired 50cal, no such thing when it comes to guns, horsepower, smokers etc.... you know guy stuff.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
:)

Not looking for a max effort race engine here.

Down!!! :)

Shut your mouth "overkill" that's what they said to Ronnie Barrett when he said I want to make a shoulder fired 50cal, no such thing when it comes to guns, horsepower, smokers etc.... you know guy stuff.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
30-60 psi, Noted. :)

Oh i thought you were going bbc not duramax lol.

This day in age I’m amazed so many are still building with Roots style blowers vs the twin screw Whipple’s etc. a 4.5L will give all you need or want and still FI

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Oh i thought you were going bbc not duramax lol.

This day in age I’m amazed so many are still building with Roots style blowers vs the twin screw Whipple’s etc. a 4.5L will give all you need or want and still FI

Carb twin screw still better. Reliable, cooler running, more hp/tq pound for pound of boost.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Roots blowers all take a lot of HP to run, not sure how muich more it takes as they get bigger.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Roots blowers all take a lot of HP to run, not sure how muich more it takes as they get bigger.

Exactly. 100-200 hp parasitic loss is normal for a 1071/1271.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
BoostPower just called and said man up already...........
8346EB26-16AE-4552-AA67-EE58E2BB7F27.png

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yes sir, the 14 hangs off a good ways. :)

So it sounds like a nicely driven 10 it is.

I’ve never had a 12-71 in my possession but my 10-71 cleared the distributor on my old BBC. I don’t have any resources to quote but I’m pretty sure the 12-71 is too big as well as the 14-71.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
One of the problems that you run into when running a roots type blower is low speed blower surge, that is particularly true when using a large displacement blower. If this is for a street application you would be much better off using a twin screw blower like a Whipple because they deliver more linear flow. I doesn't hurt to upsize the blower a little and turn it @ a lower speed but it does eat a little more HP turning the additional mass.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Whipples are nowhere near old school cool. ;)

Yes but, you have a family cruiser. Not a drag boat. The whipple gives you everything. Why listen to ridiculous blower whine, and deal with surge around the dock? Whipples sound bitchin without be annoying, and they flat out perform.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So, blower surge is listed as a problem? Noted. :)

One of the problems that you run into when running a roots type blower is low speed blower surge, that is particularly true when using a large displacement blower. If this is for a street application you would be much better off using a twin screw blower like a Whipple because they deliver more linear flow. I doesn't hurt to upsize the blower a little and turn it @ a lower speed but it does eat a little more HP turning the additional mass.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So, blower surge is listed as a problem? Noted. :)

On a family boat I would say yes. When you do any watersports with your family it won't be so great.

Is blower surge cool. Yes. No disagreement there.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes but, you have a family cruiser. Not a drag boat. The whipple gives you everything. Why listen to ridiculous blower whine, and deal with surge around the dock? Whipples sound bitchin without be annoying, and they flat out perform.
Some of the whine is the air escaping from the belt/cog mesh you can use different belts to reduce it or keep the belt a little looser and if you know a machinist you could drill small holes in the cog, a friend did it and it made a difference in the amount of whine.

Screenshot_20180520-101437.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yessir, some of the whine is from the air escaping the gilmer cog. The radius belts are quieter then the trapezoid for sure. Since less air gets trapped.

I have done it in the past, and I have always tried to talk peeps out of it.

Some of the whine is the air escaping from the belt/cog mesh you can use different belts to reduce it or keep the belt a little looser and if you know a machinist you could drill small holes in the cog, a friend did it and it made a difference in the amount of whine.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Why the noise or why did I do it?

I would imagine the noise is the air is being squeezed out of the space.

Why I did it is because I got paid to do it. :)

I drilled one once in my former life too. Maintenance was trying to figure out how to make a machine quieter that had a gilmer belt, I told them to take off the pulleys and I would fix it. Fuckers didn't believe me. They did when I was done. :) "Pretty good for a kid, ey?" I read a lot of engine/motorsports books when I was in school. ;)