WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

8.9ISL or C9

69hondo

Reaction score
We are pretty set on the Revolution LE. All the ones I see either have the Cummins ISL 8.9 or the Cat 9.3 C9. What say you guys? I know there are "better" engines out there but this is what came in these rvs. I also know some of the Cummins 8.9 had wrist pin issues.
My truck driver buddies have all been saying to get a DP with a Cummins. Basically parts are cheaper.?

Here is a link to one I am considering with the Cat

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have a buddy with pretty much the same rig and the C9... has not given him any issues. The C9 has good power. I know most people say go with cummins and avoid CAT, but I'm not sure why. I had the C7 in the last RV and it ran great. Currently have the cummins ISL 450 and it runs great as well. between those two, I would pick whichever rig has the better floorplan and is in better shape vs. worrying about the motor. Also stay away from DEF if you can, and get a side radiator if possible (like the link you posted)

69hondo

Reaction score
I have a buddy with pretty much the same rig and the C9... has not given him any issues. The C9 has good power. I know most people say go with cummins and avoid CAT, but I'm not sure why. I had the C7 in the last RV and it ran great. Currently have the cummins ISL 450 and it runs great as well. between those two, I would pick whichever rig has the better floorplan and is in better shape vs. worrying about the motor. Also stay away from DEF if you can, and get a side radiator if possible (like the link you posted)
Definitely going pre DEF and side radiator.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I haven’t had any experience with either but in the heavy equipment world the c9 is a pretty good motor. Not much emissions on it and I think those years it’s a common rail system which is as simple as it gets. If it’s HEUI or MEUI I would make sure your REALLY like the rest of the coach.

69hondo

Reaction score
I haven’t had any experience with either but in the heavy equipment world the c9 is a pretty good motor. Not much emissions on it and I think those years it’s a common rail system which is as simple as it gets. If it’s HEUI or MEUI I would make sure your REALLY like the rest of the coach.
How do I know if it's HEUI orMEUI ?

Quicksilver

Reaction score
The Cummins ISL 8.9 and Cat C9 are both good engines. I have a Dutch Star with the ISL 370 and it has been a great motor, only problem was an injector that was replaced when the coach was newer. No matter what you get, I would try to get a coach with a side radiator setup as access to servicing the engine is so much easier.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
How do I know if it's HEUI orMEUI ?
I really think they are all common rail but a simple PIN number from the motor and a call to cat or I bet there’s even an online database now that will give you all the information. PIN and VIN in the cat world are the same thing

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Well the “Gyno Wagon” has the 400 ISL. It sounds “Tight”. I recently did some work on a C7 350 powered coach. The C7 has the huie system and sounded “loose”. The CAT had 17k miles, our Cummins has 32k miles.
Even the guy that helps me commented on how the CAT makes strange noises.
26157335-2DCF-45AC-9D04-70974C7BEEE8.jpeg

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Well the “Gyno Wagon” has the 400 ISL. It sounds “Tight”. I recently did some work on a C7 350 powered coach. The C7 has the huie system and sounded “loose”. The CAT had 17k miles, our Cummins has 32k miles.
Even the guy that helps me commented on how the CAT makes strange noises. View attachment 1204315
CAT’s are louder motors in general

My 350hp C7 was way louder than my ISL 450

But when they’re 40’ behind you… they’re all much nicer than a screaming V10 under your legs lol

69hondo

Reaction score
CAT’s are louder motors in general

My 350hp C7 was way louder than my ISL 450

But when they’re 40’ behind you… they’re all much nicer than a screaming V10 under your legs lol
LMAO, good point.

Doing some research and it looks like the Revolution LE only came with the Cat C9. THe previous model C had the option of the ISC or the C7.
We like the model LE because of opposing couches and opposing slides plus the bath and a half with two shitters is a plus.😄

We just sold our gasser so starting to really look but I am in no hurry. Dune season is almost over. May miss out on our annual say goodbye trip or make a day trip to Dumont.

Side note, have you got the little hotrod buggy out in the sand yet?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
LMAO, good point.

Doing some research and it looks like the Revolution LE only came with the Cat C9. THe previous model C had the option of the ISC or the C7.
We like the model LE because of opposing couches and opposing slides plus the bath and a half with two shitters is a plus.😄

We just sold our gasser so starting to really look but I am in no hurry. Dune season is almost over. May miss out on our annual say goodbye trip or make a day trip to Dumont.

Side note, have you got the little hotrod buggy out in the sand yet?
opposing couches and a booth dinnete were my must haves... love that layout. Also having 2 restrooms is so much nicer with the family.... never thought I would "need" that.... but is a must for now. Yeah if I was in your position, I would take my time... there will be more options and better deals to be had.

I almost brought out the old school buggy for our presidents day trip.... but when I went to load it, the batter started giving me issued and wouldn't turn over, so I left it behind. I'm hoping to make it out to the oldschool buggy roundup in Glamis, but haven't seen anything posted yet. Trying to get 1-2 more trips in before it starts getting too warm.

69hondo

Reaction score
opposing couches and a booth dinnete were my must haves... love that layout. Also having 2 restrooms is so much nicer with the family.... never thought I would "need" that.... but is a must for now. Yeah if I was in your position, I would take my time... there will be more options and better deals to be had.

I almost brought out the old school buggy for our presidents day trip.... but when I went to load it, the batter started giving me issued and wouldn't turn over, so I left it behind. I'm hoping to make it out to the oldschool buggy roundup in Glamis, but haven't seen anything posted yet. Trying to get 1-2 more trips in before it starts getting too warm.
Yeah that is going to be the trick. holding out. I think things will come down some but how much do we want to miss out on to possibly get a better deal. There is a couple out there but nothing for a got to have it feeling and price so for now I will wait.

Hell yeah take it to the old-school roundup. That will be a blast.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Yeah that is going to be the trick. holding out. I think things will come down some but how much do we want to miss out on to possibly get a better deal. There is a couple out there but nothing for a got to have it feeling and price so for now I will wait.

Hell yeah take it to the old-school roundup. That will be a blast.
yeah if you find the "one" I'd jump on it... with these things, it's not worth trying to squeeze out the "best" deal to only end up with a used and abused unit that needs a lot of work / TLC. You can tell how it was taken care of right when you see it.