WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

'82 Juddcraft Project

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
IT FRICKEN WORKS!
View attachment 618713
First issue free run.
Ran a constant 180F, I might see what a 160F thermostat will do, be nice to get a lil more heat out of the engine bay.

Electric powersteering works well feels pretty similar to the Saginaw pump.

Only issue I got is I'm getting a bit of blow by I think. Theres a bit of oily vapor coming out the valve cover breather.
Any solutions?
Remember the catch cans I used? That's because I didn't want that oily shit all over my bilge. It cools and condenses in the catch cans, and I can drain that mess onto a waste container.

Headless hula

Reaction score
20180207_064426.jpg

They're mounted higher than the valve cover so there isn't a sag in the hose. If anything condenses and collects into the hose, it runs back into the valve cover. No mess.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Another thought may to run a hose up to the carb, and let it suck that shit in there...

Headless hula

Reaction score
Can we do both carb and catch can? Do u have to hook it up to both valve covers?
My guess would be to do one or the other. I believe most stock mercuisers use a pcv valve on both valve covers and they run to the carb. With your "mildly wicked" up 383, you may try one large line to a catch can, and see how it fares. With my program, I needed to add the second.

4Waters

Reaction score
If you don't already have a PCV in the valve cover o the carb I would start with that and see how that does. Also it might get better after some more hours on the engine.

Jimmy

Reaction score
If you don't already have a PCV in the valve cover o the carb I would start with that and see how that does. Also it might get better after some more hours on the engine.
Yeah that'll be the way to go. I dont have much real estate to mount a catch can above valve cover level.
U'd still want to have a breather? Or would that theoretically give u a vacuum leak?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Reaction score
Got asked at the boat ramp last night if we were entering in the Southern 80 this weekend.
I said we were just screwing around.
Going to miss watching the race this year.
Ive got the joys of looking at this all weekend.
20180208_115046.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
Yeah that'll be the way to go. I dont have much real estate to mount a catch can above valve cover level.
U'd still want to have a breather? Or would that theoretically give u a vacuum leak?

You want a PCV in one valve cover and connect it on the underside of the carb with a hose. You could also connect it to your intake manifold where you have this plug at.
Screenshot_20180207-182738.jpg
Screenshot_20180207-182634.jpg
20170508_155537.jpg

Jimmy

Reaction score
You want a PCV in one valve cover and connect it on the underside of the carb with a hose. You could also connect it to your intake manifold where you have this plug at.
View attachment 619013 View attachment 619014 View attachment 619015
Yeah I'll probably put it into that grub screw on the intake so i dont go sludging up the carby.

Google says that u want a breather on the opposite valve cover to allow fresh air flow through the crankcase, I'm not sure how i feel about that. Seeing as though its "Positive crankcase ventilation"

Last edited:

Headless hula

Reaction score
Yeah I'll probably put it into that grub screw on the intake so i dont go sludging up the carby.

Google says that u want a breather on the opposite valve cover to allow fresh air flow through the crankcase, I'm not sure how i feel about that. Seeing as though its "Positive crankcase ventilation"

You're just getting rid of blow by gasses. Nothing more, nothing less. You aren't at the hp level to require anything more.
The pcv system is "active", the "catch can" system is passive..

Taboma

Reaction score

Yes, but it must take in air on one side, in order to vent it out the other.
I prefer it going into air cleaner rather than the manifold. It always seemed to me that into the intake, below the carb would alter the air/fuel mix ?? No ??
I do know, even the vintage Chris Crafts we owned had fittings on the flame arrestors accommodating both hoses, not just one and this was long before the PCV valve was invented or used.
My Pfaff engine has the tall Eddie Marine style with the foam inserts. Yes, after some hard runs I get a little vapor residue visible on the valve covers.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Reaction score
Yes, but it must take in air on one side, in order to vent it out the other.
I prefer it going into air cleaner rather than the manifold. It always seemed to me that into the intake, below the carb would alter the air/fuel mix ?? No ??
I do know, even the vintage Chris Crafts we owned had fittings on the flame arrestors accommodating both hoses, not just one and this was long before the PCV valve was invented or used.
My Pfaff engine has the tall Eddie Marine style with the foam inserts. Yes, after some hard runs I get a little vapor residue visible on the valve covers.
I was thinking that yesterday.
Wouldnt it change the mix either way?
But I'm open to ideas.

Key would be evenly over all the cylinders rather than dumping it in No.7 & 8 like what would happen if we went in to the side of the manifold.

Taboma

Reaction score
But I'm open to ideas.

Key would be evenly over all the cylinders rather than dumping it in No.7 & 8 like what would happen if we went in to the side of the manifold.
I can't imagine that the minor amount of oil vapor being rather gently sucked into the carb along with the air, would upset the fuel/air ratio. Over time on our older boats vented in this manner I'd notice a bit of discoloration and slight amount of residue on the flame arrestor. Mostly immediately behind where the hose was connected --- it was probably 1/2" away. Think of it was a little upper cylinder lube :D I know the twin Mercruiser inboards in my sports fisher were done this way.
Like this ---

Flame arrester.JPG

4Waters

Reaction score
But I'm open to ideas.

It won't be as bad as you think. The a/f ratio should be pretty good as it was checked and jets changed on the dyno, if you are worried pull the plugs and take a look at them and change the jets as needed. The other thing is that it won't be pulling a lot of air through the PCV except at idle when the throttle is closed and at partial throttle while cruising and skiing when vacuum is up, at WOT there is no manifold vacuum.

Jimmy

Reaction score
The chevelle has just donated its valve covers and pcv.
20180223_102225.jpg

The other thing we picked up the other day out on the lake was we had a oil dripping out where the mechanical fuel pump bolts onto.
All I had were the shackle bolts off the trailero_O, got us going for the day.
20180222_105429.jpg

All good now tho :D
20180222_105810.jpg

Also changed the Tstat to 160F .

Jimmy

Reaction score
Just gor around to adjusting the pedal and throttle.
The hinge pin on the pedal was a bit sloppy so I'm hoping thats all it was, it hasn't been revving much past 4000rpm.
20180301_103306.jpg

Been wanting to take it out the last few days but the wind keeps blowing up.
Saturday looks like the day.
Might get a new tube for the kids seeing my last one got eaten by mice stored in the shed.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Is there any reason why the pvc valve is chattering?
Will it hurt the engine?

redone76

Reaction score
Is it chattering at idle? That’s pretty normal. The 350 in my C10 chatters until just off idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Reaction score
Is it chattering at idle? That’s pretty normal. The 350 in my C10 chatters until just off idle

Yeah its chattering at idle.
I've left the old mans shed so it'll have to wait till tomorrow... or this afternoon for u guys :p

Jimmy

Reaction score
Only casualty we had for the weekend was one of the boys left the ignition on and cooked a fuel pump yesterday so we had to fly into town to get a new one.

Its our labor day holiday so we went up to Kangaroo Lake. We used to go there heaps as kids. But its a good 1.5hrs drive but not far from Titty Bong for those that know the area.
Screenshot_20180311-182152.png

Just got home now... that may be the last outting for the season.

Last edited:

Dalton

Reaction score
surprised you guys don't have speed limits on your lakes

HST4ME

Reaction score
75 with a b3 and stock props is on top of it in a big way.

Jimmy

Reaction score
So that twist I reckon we felt was chine walk.
Any ideas to help that. I did read a thread on here about more rake on the prop but it also says it lifts the bow more which I dont want cos I'm having trouble keeping the prick down.

Jimmy

Reaction score
20181125_195456.jpg
20190123_150753.jpg
Haven't checked in - in a while but the mild steel exhaust did last too long till they got pin holes all through them.
Got a mate to weld stainless ones up. And we change where the water come in so now i dont need weep holes at the bottom of the S section.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
View attachment 728522 View attachment 728523 Haven't checked in - in a while but the mild steel exhaust did last too long till they got pin holes all through them.
Got a mate to weld stainless ones up. And we change where the water come in so now i dont need weep holes at the bottom of the S section.
Nice I was wondering how things were going over there the other day

Jimmy

Reaction score
Last week we took it up to the Southern 80 for a mess around between races.

Water was perfect and had it wound out to 5000rpm with one of the boys hanging on out the back. I need to take a proper GPS out one day.
received_2276962172628397.jpeg
received_2258745234399448.jpeg
received_2954824551198026.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
Last week we took it up to the Southern 80 for a mess around between races.

Water was perfect and had it wound out to 5000rpm with one of the boys hanging on out the back. I need to take a proper GPS out one day. View attachment 728531 View attachment 728532 View attachment 728533
I don't live in crocodile or alligator country so it's a serious question. Aren't you worried about crocodiles with someone being so close to the waters edge, or are there rivers that don't have crocodiles in them?

Boat looks great glad you're enjoying summer down there.

Jimmy

Reaction score
It wasnt all fun that weekend. A wake boat span around in front of us to pick up their skiier and put out a massive wake.
We had a shit load of water go straight into the air intake.

Took the spark plugs out and turned it over got all the water out.
Sprayed WD40 in the cylinders and turned it over again.
Put the plugs back in and ran what was in the bowls because the fuel pump shit itself.
New oil and filter when I got home and ran it on the hose and got it hot.

I think we've dodged a bullet because it sounds pretty good and holds 3000rpm no problem.
Other than a slight whistle coming out the carby that comes in just above idle, which Google says is a vacuum leak.
So thats this Saterdays job to find that.

Jimmy

Reaction score
I don't live in crocodile or alligator country so it's a serious question. Aren't you worried about crocodiles with someone being so close to the waters edge, or are there rivers that don't have crocodiles in them?

Boat looks great glad you're enjoying summer down there.
Na I'm 1000 miles too far south for crocs.
Thats all in Queensland and The Northern Territory.

redone76

Reaction score
It wasnt all fun that weekend. A wake boat span around in front of us to pick up their skiier and put out a massive wake.
We had a shit load of water go straight into the air intake.

Took the spark plugs out and turned it over got all the water out.
Sprayed WD40 in the cylinders and turned it over again.
Put the plugs back in and ran what was in the bowls because the fuel pump shit itself.
New oil and filter when I got home and ran it on the hose and got it hot.

I think we've dodged a bullet because it sounds pretty good and holds 3000rpm no problem.
Other than a slight whistle coming out the carby that comes in just above idle, which Google says is a vacuum leak.
So thats this Saterdays job to find that.

Same thing happened to my brothers jet boat. If you can turn the intake scoop around.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Halfway through this summer and the old girls been running good since the guts full of water last year, only thing maybe was had to replace a ignition module just before chrismas.

But just starting to notice a vibration coming through the hull when turning.
But all good when cruising in straight lines.
I'm suspecting a universal joint in the Bravo drive.
Any thoughts before I start tearing shit apart?

Picture for attention
20191118_153543.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Halfway through this summer and the old girls been running good since the guts full of water last year, only thing maybe was had to replace a ignition module just before chrismas.

But just starting to notice a vibration coming through the hull when turning.
But all good when cruising in straight lines.
I'm suspecting a universal joint in the Bravo drive.
Any thoughts before I start tearing shit apart?

Picture for attention View attachment 839652
Gimble bearing, or a u joint.

Been wondering how you've been faring with your whole damned country on fire. :oops::eek::eek:

How's the new family?

Jimmy

Reaction score
Gimble bearing, or a u joint.

Been wondering how you've been faring with your whole damned country on fire. :oops::eek::eek:

How's the new family?
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Should check alignment while its all apart.

We had a heap of rain last week so things aren't as on edge and the smoke haze has all but gone.

The rug rats just full noise everywhere, just constantly into everything.
Shes up walking and saying a few words.
The wife let me take her out in the boat for the first time this weekend just gone.
So the days of being in the shed and sitting on the couch reading what you blokes a doing are hard to get.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
X2 on gimbal, nice to here from you, glad the family is doing well.