WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

88 sleekcraft jr exec tunnel help

Stokes

Reaction score
I just picked up this sleek jr exec tunnel for cheep. Came with a merc 225 offshore (3.0l carb) has good compressions and didn't take much to get running. Has a low water pick up and a Powerlift jackplate (couldn't get working). What it needs transom floors and full interior (vinyl and wood not saveable)wireing work ect.
I've replaced floors but have no transom experience. Got a quote for 8k (kmg san diego) replaced from the rear and glassed back in. Seemed expensive epically since I'm thinking of deleting the splash well and want knee braces ( want to hang 500lbs with some setback).

I'm looking for a river cruser (Martinez/walters) 60 mph with people and gear and not to slow when running with buddys with twin powered cats obviously not looking to set any records. Not scared of the work but want to make the effort match the result I'm looking for. Have alot of questions since this will be my first fast outboard

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220414-221330_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220414-221330_Facebook.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 70

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Welcome to the asylum. Nice boat. Do a search in the boat restoration section there is everything from simple mods to full blown over the top restorations.

Backlash

Reaction score
KMG does some amazing work and that price might seem high, but I guarantee you'll be happy with his work. He truly is talented. With that being said, I've replaced the transom and four stringers and am wrapping up the few bulkheads in my 19' Howard. The work isnt hard, but it's been time consuming for me simply because I have other more important projects in line ahead of this boat.

You can do the work, and learn a lot from this site as Nanu Nanu said. A lot of us have done the same thing you're looking to do. ChrisV did it with his Eliminator, Lenmann did it with his Schiada, me and my Howard, etc. There are a lot of great rebuild threads on here. Look at their threads and pay attention. Those guys are at the top of the DIY heap. Talent is an understatement for those members.

Start a thread, post a lot of pictures and ask for help. You'll get a ton of knowledge thrown your way. 👍

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. If you need a new transom, floor and stringers, your core is rotted too. If you do not replace that, do not bother with the other three. While the work is not quite rocket surgery, it is very (fiberglass grinding) itchy and dusty. When I did mine I used epoxy resin. While it was quite a bit more expensive, it was so much easier to work with.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. If you need a new transom, floor and stringers, your core is rotted too. If you do not replace that, do not bother with the other three. While the work is not quite rocket surgery, it is very (fiberglass grinding) itchy and dusty. When I did mine I used epoxy resin. While it was quite a bit more expensive, it was so much easier to work with.
It's a tunnel...the floor is the core

ChrisV

Reaction score
Sell the boat if it needs work. Don't do it yourself or else it will snowball into a wallet nightmare. Right? @Backlash