WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

9-11-01

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember getting ready for work and having the tv on in my bedroom and watching the planes strike the towers.. I lived in Irvine at the time and worked across the street from John Wayne airport. A few hours later there were no planes in the sky and it was one of the most eerie days of my life.

I suspect it is how people felt when Pearl Harbor happened. That is about how I felt when the second plane hit, and then reports of other planes going down all across the country.

I will never forget that day..

770676E8-8729-49C1-B75D-2B817E30BC57.jpeg
8552E6AE-39B0-43EA-B6CF-732E64714BCA.jpeg
CC752373-18CB-4329-9003-89101A7D803A.jpeg
D1E339D5-CDD2-4194-8E6F-23C27A036A5B.jpeg
ADA4128E-95BB-41D0-A3DC-B577EF67F1F1.jpeg

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Very similar for me, wife and I getting ready, news on. Told her oh man, a plane just crashed in NY.
When she came to look, the second plane crashed and our mouths dropped in disbelief...
Unforgettable, sickening feeling when I realized it was deliberate.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
If I may suggest...

Those of you with children born after this date, or who were too young to remember it, please, please, sit down and record your thoughts about where you were, what you remember, how you felt, and what you wanted to do to the bastards responsible for this. All of us have a part in making certain history is recorded properly, and truthfully.
History we lived, history we remember.
Take some notes for a few days, talk to your spouse if you had one at the time, and put together your memories in a way you can refer to them. Then, take your Go pro, or phone or whatever, and put a card in it, and make a record. Then go over it with your kids, and answer any questions they have, and put the answers on video as well.
Then put that card away somewhere safe, so that years from now, generations yet born can see how this day impacted their own family.
That is what history is my friends. We owe it to them.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
The pictures of the people who jumped from the buildings still hit me hard to this day. I cannot even fathom what it would be like to be in that situation and have to decide to make the ultimate decision like that. My heart goes out to all victims, first responders and their families.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
4C3F00E6-5479-40EC-AE47-CCF8F6FDECDA.png

This daughter was born 16 months after 9/11, and she knows if the importance.

Her school is actually in live session, and no one talked much about it today. In this society of walking on eggshells in an attempt to offend no one is BS. It’s very much OK to accurately tell history. Or does someone not want them to know it, a major event that changed the face of the earth, a country, and how we live our lives forever?🤬

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I got up at 5:30 that morning, as usual. Step in the shower, make my coffee, sit down at the computer and checked into Hot Boat . com. Saw a thread that said >Plane into building, NYC< or something like that. Turned on the news expecting to see something about a Cessna or other general aircraft crashed into the projects. Thought, at that time, it wouldn't be much more than a human interest like deal, as years before, I'd flown through New York City, between the skyscrapers, with a CG Lt. pilot in a rented Piper Cub, taking a friend of his from Jersey to Connecticut for Thanksgiving. (couldn't do that anymore)

I was in horror as I watched the split screen on TV showing the first aircraft hit the 1st Tower, and a live shot of the overall scene with Tower 1 smoking. I woke up my wife and came back in just to see the second plane hit the 2nd Tower live. I jammed into work and spent the next week playing security on Parker Dam from the water. That afternoon, I received a phone call and email putting me on 24 hour notice emergency recall to Active Duty USCG. Stayed in recall status with my bags packed for 2 weeks, until stood down.

Was a pretty crazy time, even for us on the River.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I had been in N.Y the week before. I spent the weekend at Niagara falls. I proposed to my wife as the fireworks and light show from the Skylon Tower took place. I was on top of the world. Driving into work I just happen to turn on the Radio. I could not believe my ears what they were describing. When I got to the warehouse one of the guys had a tiny TV going. I watched the second tower get hit. I was devastated. I watched as my dad died and it was not as emotional knowing how many people were in those buildings and on the ground.
I will NEVER FORGET and always bring this up to My kiddo.
R.I.P. To ALL Who Were Lost.

4Waters

Reaction score
I had been in N.Y the week before. I spent the weekend at Niagara falls. I proposed to my wife as the fireworks and light show from the Skylon Tower took place. I was on top of the world. Driving into work I just happen to turn on the Radio. I could not believe my ears what they were describing. When I got to the warehouse one of the guys had a tiny TV going. I watched the second tower get hit. I was devastated. I watched as my dad died and it was not as emotional knowing how many people were in those buildings and on the ground.
I will NEVER FORGET and always bring this up to My kiddo.
R.I.P. To ALL Who Were Lost.
Your dad was in the towers?

Sorry if it to touchy, you don't have to answer.

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
My brothers and I were on a hike to a back country eastern sierra lake just below 11,000 ft. No trail to it. Just a place that you pick your way through the trees and catch beautiful native fish. Even had snow flurries that day. It was perfect.....until we made it back to the truck and heard the news. Will never forget.

4Waters

Reaction score
View attachment 921506

This daughter was born 16 months after 9/11, and she knows if the importance.

Her school is actually in live session, and no one talked much about it today. In this society of walking on eggshells in an attempt to offend no one is BS. It’s very much OK to accurately tell history. Or does someone not want them to know it, a major event that changed the face of the earth, a country, and how we live our lives forever?🤬
My son's teacher did a lesson today about the attacks, they watched a video talked about it and asked questions. My son is in 4th grade, my daughter had this teacher in 5th grade 3 years ago. She is an awesome teacher, we really like her.

My daughter had her elective today, animation. Her teacher said nothing.

yz450mm

Reaction score
We were just finishing mop up on a little vegetation fire in the Cajon Pass, on the little knoll right where the Northbound and southbound split above the runaway truck ramp. Our rudimentary cell phones started going off, and when my then-girlfriend told me that a plane hit the tower, I thought she was full of shit. A few minutes later, dispatch advised that everybody was going on recall until further notice. We went back to the station and tried to sleep, since we had been on that fire for 22 hours.

My uncle was the Chauffeur on Rescue 4 for over 15 years, he retired a few months before September 11th. Every member working on any Rescue company (1-5) that day never returned to service... one day I hope to get back to New York and visit R4 to talk to them about it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

CigAjerk

Reaction score
I have stories, memories, watched people jump from buildings live, sat on the roof of my building in Garden Grove for a few nights watching 2 F-18's boxing in SoCal from the old El Toro marine base, up to dodger stadium, out to santa monica, down to HB....over and over and over. The night before I was listening to Tool Aenima turned up to 11 on my PA equipment the night before.

But my most lasting memory was the unity that followed. Never in my life had I seen so much pride to be an American.

American flags in the back of trucks, people talking, interacting, all generally happy to be unified considering the circumstances.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I have stories, memories, watched people jump from buildings live, sat on the roof of my building in Garden Grove for a few nights watching 2 F-18's boxing in SoCal from the old El Toro marine base, up to dodger stadium, out to santa monica, down to HB....over and over and over. The night before I was listening to Tool Aenima turned up to 11 on my PA equipment the night before.

But my most lasting memory was the unity that followed. Never in my life had I seen so much pride to be an American.

American flags in the back of trucks, people talking, interacting, all generally happy to be unified considering the circumstances.
Do you know what's interesting? I see much of the same sentiment and displays now, almost as if the American Patriotic way of life was being attacked by some outside influence, that would stop at nothing to bring it down. However, we are resilient, we are proud, and we will not let them bring us down.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

77hallett

Reaction score
I was pretty young when this all happened. 9 years old. I remember waking up for school and my dad transfixed on the tv. Not knowing the gravity of the situation he sat me down and explained what was happening. Who it might be and their reasoning for it. Then him telling me it’s all just begun. Again, not understanding and fully grasping the severity of everything. Fast forward 10 years and I’m landing in Afghanistan, finally understanding what he was saying on that day. Many heroes died that day, and they are the epitome of real and true Americans. Let’s Roll!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I saw it as it happened on T.V., coffee in hand, my morning news ritual. I was in disbelief.

What I found out later that makes me tear up to this day was losing 2 friends who were passengers on flight 11.

9/11, I will never forget.

T frog

Reaction score
I work at McCarran airport in Las Vegas, have for a little over 20 years. I was working grave shift and remember as morning came and the first plane hit, then the second. Everything just stopped, they pushed aircraft back from all the bridges. Planes just parked all over the place, nothing flying but military and test site. At the time my work buddy was a retired Marine corps SgtMaj. He knew exactly what was up, he said we're going to war, and he was right. Unfortunately so many in society have short memories and tend to forget, it's sad. Let's not forget.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I found out from Paul Harvey. Always set my alarm to a news station. Got woken up that morning and was like WTF is Paul saying??

wet hull

Reaction score
My wife and I just discussed our account of where we were at that moment the towers were attacked. We were both in freshman/ sophomore year of college. Every year it gets easier to forget. Easier to focus on other current events. Hearing the stories of people on RDP who where directly effected draws me back in and I am thankful for this. I never want to forget. We are both going to record our memory tomorrow so we can show and teach our 5yr old the emotions we felt that day. I love this country, I love the people of this country. We all need to remember why its such a great country and get this train back on the tracks!!

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I know this day affects allot of people and we all say never forget. I literally will never forget as this is my birthday so I woke and turned on news and made coffee to watch all this and then head to work to watch it in my office with everyone else being I had the only TV at that time.

I always had a hard time celebrating my birthday but now it’s not even a possibility, how can anyone celebrate anything on a day like this I recall watching people jump to their death and can’t turn on the tv without the news of this tragedy on this day.

It’s horrible how something like this has affected so many in so many different ways. I feel for all those families and life’s that were torn apart on this day and I hope that time helps all the pain those go through.

I am still waiting for the vengeance that this country will impose as retribution to the culture or people that are responsible for this. We can point and say that we have no business in the Middle East but it’s much deeper than all of this and I love this country and miss the arm flexing we used to do like the Reagan days. Hopefully nothing like this will happen again and we only have this to remind us of our painful past.

God speed to all who paid the ultimate price on 9/11 and those who lost someone we won’t ever forget.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I was living in Lodi with a Roomate.
I got up sort of late and was supposed to fly out of Sac that day to Alaska for my 2 week hitch at work in Prudhoe Bay.
My Roomate was already at work at Lodi Hospital and she called home and said to turn the news on because it sounded like a Cessna or something hit a trade tower.
I was like “huh, OK I’ll check it out”.
Turned the news on and boom, second plane hit.
For a minute, I didn’t think it was real. I actually thought it was some sort of movie or maybe a “what if” type of scenario.
I couldn’t believe it was happening.
Needless to say I didn’t go to Alaska that day.

Watching the 9/11 shows on TV yesterday it made me sad to see how united we became that day, and how far we are from that today.
Lots of hero’s that day, from top to bottom.

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
I had just returned from the Middle East three months prior and moved my family to Japan. I was woke up in the middle of the night and told to come down to the squadron ASAP. Within three days we launched our 12 FA-18s and I was on a plane headed for the Middle East. It’s heartbreaking to see those people suffer so badly in those towers over and over agin, yet we knew we were bringing the shit to them and we were going to make those fuckers pay. The day those terrorist attacked our country resonates in my head every year on this anniversary, but along with the memories of those poor people suffering are the words I’m my 9 year old daughter... Standing in the elevator crying and telling her mom ”You lied to us, you said if we moved overseas my daddy wouldn’t leave us again“. At that point that was my 7th deployment in 10 years... 3rd to that sand box shithole!
662D83D7-4B1B-49C4-97CB-0BBB0C82B124.jpeg

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
This attack was supposed to be way bigger, much bigger than you think.

About two and a half months later I was working OT and went and had dinner with my partners dad who was LAPD. He was at home on 9/11 when he was recalled, he was told to grab a car and go straight to LAX, basically extra security as we didn't know what was happening or how big.

The officers were assigned to gates. He just watched as people got off planes and stayed until the airport was empty.

A few weeks later he was part of an FBI debriefing where they had posters of pictures of known terrorists, he walked up and pointed at 3 or 4 (it's been awhile) pictures and said "I watched those guys walk off planes at LAX", he said a couple other officers recognized some others as well.

I don't know what happened, maybe they pussed out or the word got out and the cockpit doors were locked and barricaded, maybe both.

RIP to all those lost that day and those we've lost since due to illnesses associated with the collapse (One of my HS class mates was one of them that died from cancer)

Thank you to all those that respond everyday to keep us safe.

Thank you to everyone who serve this great country and for your efforts against terror. RIP to those who gave their life to fight terrorism.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I was living in Toronto and just put my dad on a plane to fly to Vancouver. Commercial flights across Canada, well they fly over the US because of the Navaids being better. After dropping my dad off at the airport, I was getting my car smog tested. Was listening to the radio, Howard Stern. Robin said a plane hit one of the towers. Thought it was a small plane. The only place for a smog test in my area was Canadian Tire. I was in the waiting room and they had a small TV going tuned to the news. Saw the second plane hit.......................................... Not long after my Dad phones my cell and says his plane is coming back to Toronto. His pilot said US airspace is now closed. Told him what happened and what I saw on TV. I'll never forget that day.

Nordie

Reaction score
I was just waking up for school, I walked out to the living room where my dad and stepmom were watching the news. That's when we saw the second plane hit. It was very surreal. Went to school that day and there was no education, if a teacher had a TV we watched the news, if no TV we listened to the radio.

Duramax

Reaction score
A couple things that stand out to me....Number one is, how many veterans I speak with that tell me after 9/11 they signed up to go to war. Every time I hear that, it makes me proud, that there are still men and women in this country that understand there is something bigger.

My sister was working for the DOJ at the time, and I remember driving into work and hearing on the radio that the Pentagon was hit, and trying to get in touch with her as I did not know where she was. Three years ago my father passed away on September 10th, so these are a tough couple days.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This attack was supposed to be way bigger, much bigger than you think.

About two and a half months later I was working OT and went and had dinner with my partners dad who was LAPD. He was at home on 9/11 when he was recalled, he was told to grab a car and go straight to LAX, basically extra security as we didn't know what was happening or how big.

The officers were assigned to gates. He just watched as people got off planes and stayed until the airport was empty.

A few weeks later he was part of an FBI debriefing where they had posters of pictures of known terrorists, he walked up and pointed at 3 or 4 (it's been awhile) pictures and said "I watched those guys walk off planes at LAX", he said a couple other officers recognized some others as well.

I don't know what happened, maybe they pussed out or the word got out and the cockpit doors were locked and barricaded, maybe both.

RIP to all those lost that day and those we've lost since due to illnesses associated with the collapse (One of my HS class mates was one of them that died from cancer)

Thank you to all those that respond everyday to keep us safe.

Thank you to everyone who serve this great country and for your efforts against terror. RIP to those who gave their life to fight terrorism.

Ive heard the same from people that would know.
Also the call to shut down airspace and immediately land all planes was given by the FAA Chief on his very first day on the job...if you can imagine that.
No one really knew where the President was once he was airborne from Florida, Cheney was in the bunker.
Giuliani was basically running the show with almost no coordination from feds, or even the Governor.
The FAA Chief really made the hugely correct decision to land all planes.
Just the Atlantic crossing had lime 224 inbound from Europe without the option of turning around. They plugged them all into Nova Scotia fields in like 2 hours.
The controllers and pilots REALLY did an unbelievable job clearing the sky.
It had NEVER been done before on any scale.

4Waters

Reaction score
Ive heard the same from people that would know.
Also the call to shut down airspace and immediately land all planes was given by the FAA Chief on his very first day on the job...if you can imagine that.
No one really knew where the President was once he was airborne from Florida, Cheney was in the bunker.
Giuliani was basically running the show with almost no coordination from feds, or even the Governor.
The FAA Chief really made the hugely correct decision to land all planes.
Just the Atlantic crossing had lime 224 inbound from Europe without the option of turning around. They plugged them all into Nova Scotia fields in like 2 hours.
The controllers and pilots REALLY did an unbelievable job clearing the sky.
It had NEVER been done before on any scale.
My cousin was 3hrs into a flight back from London when the captain said there was a nuclear attack in New York (I know WTF) and we are being turned around. She immediately called her dad who gave the correct info said that there would be no flights for the next few days at least, then he called and got her a hotel right away. By the time they landed hotels were booked and people were trying to figure out what to do.

hallett21

Reaction score
@RiverDave since you’re in town you should stop in Malibu and look at the flags at Pepperdine. Very powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My cousin was 3hrs into a flight back from London when the captain said there was a nuclear attack in New York (I know WTF) and we are being turned around. She immediately called her dad who gave the correct info said that there would be no flights for the next few days at least, then he called and got her a hotel right away. By the time they landed hotels were booked and people were trying to figure out what to do.
Where’d they land at?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Many posts here about shaving, driving, turning on the TV that morning, etc etc. Our oldest daughter was there, 300 yds from Ground Zero. Saw the second plane hit. Witnessed the horrific sights, sounds and smells of that day. RD opted to post the tragic photo of the jumper. Our 21 year old recent college graduate witnessed the unforgettable sounds of those victims hitting the pavement that morning. All the while that creepy Muzak was playing on the ground speakers around the WTC. She was employed by T-Mobile then. T-Mobile later gave some of their corporate execs awards and large bonuses for just working for T-Mobile on 9/11. She was manager of the T-Mobile retail store directly adjacent to the WTC on that morning. T-Mobile claimed that store was vacant that morning. BULL SHIT!!! And T-Mobile knows it. They didn't even offer counseling for our daughter and her staff at their retail store. Fast forward 19 years to today. She is now a VP of Domestic Marketing for JP Morgan Chase, still in NYC. She is now involved with JP Morgan Chase and T-Mobile business services which they each utilize regularly.
She sent correspondence to the execs at T-Mobile this past week validating her and her crew's presence at their WTC store that morning and asked them particular questions. T-Mobile's response should be interesting, if and when it happens. She has phone records and store computer validation for their presence that morning. This is something she has considered for years. She is now comfortable enough in her own position to persue it. This is our daughter who grew up spending our summer family vacations with us, her friends and boyfriends houseboating on Lake Mohave and Lake Mead. She attended the UofAz in Tucson straight out of high school. And we're very proud to say she graduated in 4 years. Then flew to NYC 1 day after graduation in May 2001. to begin her career in Big City
business.

Last edited: