WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

91 Express lanes

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Regularly, I make late afternoon trips down the 91 Eastbound Express lanes. In the past couple of weeks, The express lanes have been a 20 mile an hour crawl til Weir Cyn. After that, it's wide open. It doesn't make any sense and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the construction. Anyone else notice this? Feels like I'm only getting half my money's worth. Ha

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They've become so much worse. I use them a few times a week. Total bullshit that they're backed up.

Beyond the scam they already are it has become almost pointless to pay to sit in traffic in those lanes.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I leave work at 6 and sit on the 55 from the 22 to the 91 partially because you fasttrackers back up on to the 55 at the fastrack entrance (same thing happens between the 57 and 55 on the 91). But then when I hit the 91, I go 80 mph passing the fasttrackers until I get off at Weir Canyon... where I go to the gym and wait out the traffic :D

Go all the way home at 6 and the last 6 miles take 30+ minutes (Green River is home). Go to the gym and leave there at 745... it takes 12 mins. They're 100% a scam, cause more traffic at the entrances, and... they're extending them out past the 15! Should turn out great. Maybe if we're lucky, the new construction will reduce traffic for a few years.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Regularly, I make late afternoon trips down the 91 Eastbound Express lanes. In the past couple of weeks, The express lanes have been a 20 mile an hour crawl til Weir Cyn. After that, it's wide open. It doesn't make any sense and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the construction. Anyone else notice this? Feels like I'm only getting half my money's worth. Ha

This ain't nothing new.....been like this for awhile. That's why I refuse to blow my money using that shit. I'll use the 241 before Fastrak.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I leave work at 6 and sit on the 55 from the 22 to the 91 partially because you fasttrackers back up on to the 55 at the fastrack entrance (same thing happens between the 57 and 55 on the 91). But then when I hit the 91, I go 80 mph passing the fasttrackers until I get off at Weir Canyon... where I go to the gym and wait out the traffic :D

Go all the way home at 6 and the last 6 miles take 30+ minutes (Green River is home). Go to the gym and leave there at 745... it takes 12 mins. They're 100% a scam, cause more traffic at the entrances, and... they're extending them out past the 15! Should turn out great. Maybe if we're lucky, the new construction will reduce traffic for a few years.

If you're starting from there (Orange), drive up Tustin AVE and get on at Lincoln or better yet, go up Cannon through Tustin, VP and AH. It will take you to SAC and Imperial. No need to even touch the freeway.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
This ain't nothing new.....been like this for awhile. That's why I refuse to blow my money using that shit. I'll use the 241 before Fastrak.

It wasn't always this bad. I've been doing this for years.
I think 241 sucks even more. 91 on ramp is backed up a mile then you still have to make your way to Green River. More CHP on 241 and 261.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Seems ok to me right now [emoji1] [emoji1]

uploadfromtaptalk1467766528116.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1467766537489.jpg

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
That's because Dennis said until Weir......you're already there. Stop using your phone while driving and pay attention mofo....:D
I left work at 1740, wide open the whole way until here. I take the 71 North to Euclid.

uploadfromtaptalk1467767020535.jpg

Fabhouse

Reaction score
I work in Lake Forest, off the 241. My old commute was to Glendora, and if I left after 2:30pm, my drive was terrible. The 241/91 ramp could take 5-30mins, and the 3.5 miles from the 241 interchange on the 91 at best was 10mins, and normal was 15. Fridays would be 25+. I recently moved to Anaheim Hills, and my commute is now 20-25 minutes total. Staying in the left lane at the 241/91 is the best feeling now, and I almost feel sorry for the folks in the 2 right lanes I used to dread. Plus, the river is now 5 miles closer.

C-2

Reaction score
I too was a skeptic, but one day I was in the entry lane (91 East), saw a buddy fly by, called him and we compared notes. He came to s screeching halt at the toll lanes, I passed him there and beat him home by 20 minutes.

But, in the old days, for that same ride I would have saved 40 minutes.

C-2

Reaction score
I work in Lake Forest, off the 241. My old commute was to Glendora, and if I left after 2:30pm, my drive was terrible. The 241/91 ramp could take 5-30mins, and the 3.5 miles from the 241 interchange on the 91 at best was 10mins, and normal was 15. Fridays would be 25+. I recently moved to Anaheim Hills, and my commute is now 20-25 minutes total. Staying in the left lane at the 241/91 is the best feeling now, and I almost feel sorry for the folks in the 2 right lanes I used to dread. Plus, the river is now 5 miles closer.

Yup, that 241 North to E 91 sucks ass. But, it's fun playing cat and mouse with the peeps trying to snake on everybody else. I mean, nothing else to do :D

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Have you ever tried bypassing the 241 & taking the canyon route home? Take Portola Pkwy to Glenn Ranch pkwy (turn left). Glenn Ranch dead ends at El Toro Rd.(Turn left). Go through the canyon, passed Irvine lake & turn right on Jamboree. Jamboree quickly dead ends at Santiago canyon rd.(Turn left). Take that a few miles to Cannon St (turn right). That turns into Imperial hwy and takes you into Anaheim Hills, Serrano etc... I used to do that route all the time from Mission Viejo to Yorba Linda to bypass paying tolls. Maybe you already know this route? Idk.... just an idea.

Thats my route when I'm feeling early...

C-2

Reaction score
I remember before the 241, you could get on to Santiago Canyon via Trabuco Canyon in South County, take Santiago all the way up to Chapman, Cannon didn't go all the way down, I think it was Hewes or Meats or some other road over to Nohl to Imperial. That was always a great drive and good shortcut from places like RSM/Coto. :thumbsup

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Now it's Chapman...left to Cannon.....right on Serrano......Serrano takes you aaalll the way and basically dead ends at Weir. You can either get on the 91 at Weir, or take it to the other side to La Palma, or use Santiago Canyon to bypass shitty traffic. It's definitely gotten busier this way now. I'm sure Waze has something to do with it. Don't tell a yone the secrets. :D

C-2

Reaction score
To Orangethorpe which turned into Esperanza and then that little loopback to Yorba Linda back down to La Palma to Gypsum. But then they put all the lane controls in and the po po's...all the canyon road routes are slammed now, there are no more secrets. Even traveling in the far right lane on the 91 east no longer works since the 71 construction forked that up too.

I have always lived in Riverside, my company had an office in downtown LA at 7th/Flower, and at Tustin/La Palma in Anaheim.

Then along came the fax...so I closed the LA office and only worked the OC office.

Then the Internet came along and traffic worsened, so I closed the OC office and got a PO Box and a comfortable chair for a home office :thumbsup

Just the other day I told my only client using our fax number - there's this new thing out called email, you should try it some time :D Fax number is going bye bye too.

I love Waze, especially the Colonel's voice. :thumbsup

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Driving the 241 cracks me up. It's like people don't understand that the 65mph posted limit is enforced on that highway & feel like because they're paying tolls that they can just speed around like they own the joint. Set the cruise at 70 & they will run you over. It's a CHPs dream.

Btw, not sure when the last time you've been out to coto, but there is so much new housing going on off Antonio/Ortega that eventually they need to expand that 241 all the way to the 74. Even though it seems far out, the traffic is getting awful already.

They are working on the expansion...

She's Mine

Reaction score
91 ExpressLane sucks. I moved out to Eastvale last year and have been taking it off and on since. Now that they raised the price I don't use it unless I have both my kids with me. Tired of giving my money away. Also, if I remember when they built it they said it would only be a toll road for 20 years then it would be open... Guess that was all smoke and mirror to get it approved.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
If you're starting from there (Orange), drive up Tustin AVE and get on at Lincoln or better yet, go up Cannon through Tustin, VP and AH. It will take you to SAC and Imperial. No need to even touch the freeway.

Yup... if Waze tells me to go this way, I listen. But I guess sitting in traffic at the 91/55 interchange is still sometimes faster than the surface streets.

C-2

Reaction score
Driving the 241 cracks me up. It's like people don't understand that the 65mph posted limit is enforced on that highway & feel like because they're paying tolls that they can just speed around like they own the joint. Set the cruise at 70 & they will run you over. It's a CHPs dream.

Btw, not sure when the last time you've been out to coto, but there is so much new housing going on off Antonio/Ortega that eventually they need to expand that 241 all the way to the 74. Even though it seems far out, the traffic is getting awful already.

No doubt, that road is crazy when you are doing 80 and people in Toyota Corolla's pass you like nothing.

I haven't been down to south county in about 10 years. All I remember is that people thought I was crazy for living in the IE, I thought they were crazy for living in south county where you have to fight traffic to be able to fight more traffic. Some outlying county areas of Riverside are like that now too, Woodcrest, Orangecrest, Elsinore...etc.

Back in the day I had the freeways wired, Edison thru the Chino valley was great, then they developed the Grand/71 area and put in tons of tilt-ups and lights; not to mention Eastvale.

Yup, home office it is :thumbsup

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
91 ExpressLane sucks. I moved out to Eastvale last year and have been taking it off and on since. Now that they raised the price I don't use it unless I have both my kids with me. Tired of giving my money away. Also, if I remember when they built it they said it would only be a toll road for 20 years then it would be open... Guess that was all smoke and mirror to get it approved.

I don't think the 91 toll road has been open for 20 years yet.?

Edit. They opened the 91 express in Dec 1995.

C-2

Reaction score
I don't think the 91 toll road has been open for 20 years yet.?

Pretty close, maybe 20, I remember buying my new 96 Suburban and driving the lanes free since DMV messed up the plates and they took a year to arrive. :eek

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Pretty close, maybe 20, I remember buying my new 96 Suburban and driving the lanes free since DMV messed up the plates and they took a year to arrive. :eek

Sum bitch. Time goes by fast. Just looked it up. Dec of 95' they opened.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Now it's Chapman...left to Cannon.....right on Serrano......Serrano takes you aaalll the way and basically dead ends at Weir. You can either get on the 91 at Weir, or take it to the other side to La Palma, or use Santiago Canyon to bypass shitty traffic. It's definitely gotten busier this way now. I'm sure Waze has something to do with it. Don't tell a yone the secrets. :D

Waze ruined a lot of the short cuts. :thumbsdown

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Yup... if Waze tells me to go this way, I listen. But I guess sitting in traffic at the 91/55 interchange is still sometimes faster than the surface streets.

When there's heavy traffic, I usually get of on MacArthur from the 55, turn left on RedHill then head up that way. It sometimes takes a few more mins, but I'd rather have have better scenery and not deal with all the dorks on the freeway. If you get around the slow pokes, you can hit most of the green lights. :thumbsup

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

We have the same commute, I work off the 241 and Bake Parkway in Lake Forest. What I have noticed on the way home on the 241N going down the hill to the 91 has gotten 10 times worse for the left lanes now because of people cutting the right lanes, it always has been the case but the affect on the left lane traffic is 10 times worse the past year or so.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
We have the same commute, I work off the 241 and Bake Parkway in Lake Forest. What I have noticed on the way home on the 241N going down the hill to the 91 has gotten 10 times worse for the left lanes now because of people cutting the right lanes, it always has been the case but the affect on the left lane traffic is 10 times worse the past year or so.

Gas prices... cheap gas means more people on the road. The people who can't afford to live in OC but make the commute are affected the most by high gas prices. Thus, the 91 is affected by fluctuations in gas prices. That's my theory.

I haven't decided whether I like gas prices lower or I'd rather deal with $4 a gallon and less people on the road.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Gas prices... cheap gas means more people on the road. The people who can't afford to live in OC but make the commute are affected the most by high gas prices. Thus, the 91 is affected by fluctuations in gas prices. That's my theory.

I haven't decided whether I like gas prices lower or I'd rather deal with $4 a gallon and less people on the road.

My work is directly tied to the oil and gas industry, so its a bit sketchy right now and bonuses and promotions are severely cut now, so low gas prices are hurting me, which normally wouldn't be as bad, however, California isn't anywhere near what for example even AZ is on gas, so I am not even getting the benefit of cheap gas :grumble: My world is best when a natural 3 bucks a gallon is occurring when crude is 80 bucks a barrel, however, CA is really good at adding new taxes and fees now that gas is cheap, and I don't see them taking it away if crude starts going back up as well.

C-2

Reaction score
I thought by now commerce would have been large enough to break away from the dependence of OC and LA job markets, but apparently not.

I read an article the other day about how Mira Loma (Jurupa Valley) and MoValley are becoming the new "hub cities" and as much as 40% of all goods entering Cali pass thru the warehouses in the area. They are building 15MM sq feet of storage per year, but it's still not quick enough to keep up with demand.

The problem is, these warehouses don't require too mucj manpower. For example, the Skechers warehouse in MoVall was sold to the voters as adding 2400 jobs, but there was only about 600 or so, mainly because they are trying robotic systems. The downside is all the pollution from trucks coming and going 24/7, they actually went to homes in Mira Loma and gave residents indoor filtration systems, and they were cool with that :eek

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Gas prices are one thing, but depreciation in your car(s) is a massive cost that doesn't enter the equation for most people I talk with about that commute.

Driving a $30k car into the ground, where it's worthless in 5 years, is a huge cost consideration IMHO.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Gas prices are one thing, but depreciation in your car(s) is a massive cost that doesn't enter the equation for most people I talk with about that commute.

Driving a $30k car into the ground, where it's worthless in 5 years, is a huge cost consideration IMHO.

Screw the devalued car, I can buy a new car, buy I can't but more time.

I don't know how people drive in traffic everyday. I guess you got to do what you got to do and I respect that. I'd loose my mind.

pronstar

Reaction score

I don't know how people drive in traffic everyday. I guess you got to do what you got to do and I respect that. I'd loose my mind.

For sure.
But when people move far away for budgetary reasons, they often fail to see the big picture :thumbsup

For instance, here's a hypotehtical:
Moves to the IE to save $100k on a house.
Plans to live there for 15 years.
Drives a $30k car into the ground every 5 years...which means 3 x $30k = $90k
So really, this person is spending 20 hours a week in their car to save $10k over 15 years.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
For sure.
But when people move far away for budgetary reasons, they often fail to see the big picture :thumbsup

So really, this person is spending 20 hours a week in their car to save $10k over 15 years.

You save a lot more then 100k by moving to the IE when you compare what types of houses you are buying. Sure you can buy a 1950's home in Lakewood for 400K or buy a larger 1990's home in Corona / Riverside for more money. But try comparing a 1990s home in Yorba Linda / Anaheim Hills that goes for 850K. Moving 15 miles makes a big difference.

pronstar

Reaction score
You save a lot more then 100k by moving to the IE when you compare what types of houses you are buying. Sure you can buy a 1950's home in Lakewood for 400K or buy a larger 1990's home in Corona / Riverside for more money. But try comparing a 1990s home in Yorba Linda / Anaheim Hills that goes for 850K. Moving 15 miles makes a big difference.

Yup...I was just illustrating the "big picture" hidden costs that many fail to see IMHO.
I'm out of this state anyway :skull

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
For sure.

Damn... How many miles are on these 5 year old cars to the point that they're worth $0?

And agreed with the other post... $100k is the minimum savings. You can save more than that going from Anaheim Hills (Weir Canyon) prices to Green River prices.

Reaction score

I live 3 miles from work. Work four 10 hour days. My truck is a 2005, and has 42,000 miles.

If I commuted like some of you do, I'd need to make an extra $20k a year to break even on the truck, and another $40k for the time I spend commuting.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yup...I was just illustrating the "big picture" hidden costs that many fail to see IMHO.
I'm out of this state anyway :skull

Good luck in Texas .:thumbsup I have a few freinds that moved their (Dallas and Austin) and couldn't fit in with the Texas lifesytle and the people. They ended up moving on to other states. :thumbsdown

pronstar

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article on "true" costs of long-distance commuting.
Nothing really revolutionary, just puts it all in one place.

http://lifehacker.com/5848665/the-true-cost-of-commuting

And here's a vehicle depreciation cost calculator/estimator:
https://greenride.anl.gov/Home/CostCalculator

Good luck in Texas .:thumbsup I have a few freinds that moved their (Dallas and Austin) and couldn't fit in with the Texas lifesytle and the people. They ended up moving on to other states. :thumbsdown

Thanks!
Spent a lot of time there at a company I used to work for (Dallas HQ, I worked at a satellite office in Huntington Beach and travelled a lot), met my wife at that company and even back then we were hoping to one day move to Dallas. So we're hoping for the best :thumbsup

At the end of the day, I'm really happy that SoCal isn't the only option for me...up to recently, my choices were SoCal, New York or Chicago, so not really an option to live anywhere but SoCal.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Damn... How many miles are on these 5 year old cars to the point that they're worth $0?

And agreed with the other post... $100k is the minimum savings. You can save more than that going from Anaheim Hills (Weir Canyon) prices to Green River prices.

Very true. I live off of YL Blvd above the Stater Bros. I could sell my home and go 15 miles to the east and buy a house for 2-300K cheaper. :eek

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Don't forget the $500 power bill from April- Oct to keep the big IE house cool.

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks!
Spent a lot of time there at a company I used to work for (Dallas HQ, I worked at a satellite office in Huntington Beach and travelled a lot), met my wife at that company and even back then we were hoping to one day move to Dallas. So we're hoping for the best :thumbsup

At the end of the day, I'm really happy that SoCal isn't the only option for me...up to recently, my choices were SoCal, New York or Chicago, so not really an option to live anywhere but SoCal.

I can loan you some chickens :thumbsup

Reminds me of a case I worked on with an Asian attorney named Zin Chen. He said "Dude, we're going to a jury trial in Bakersfield. Even when my eyes are open, they look closed. Winning, is not an option, we need to settle" :yikes

C-2

Reaction score
Besides, some of us were born out here, we didn't move here to save a few dollars and run our cars into the ground... :D

deliverance-banjo.jpg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I live in the I.E. and this thread makes me feel really fortunate lol.

I create my own work schedule, have a company paid vehicle, and I don't think I have ever missed a kid sports or school function and I'm 3 hours tops from the river. We don't pay childcare as one of us is home to either put the kids on the bus or to pick them up. My house and lot size would cost double in OC/LA. My wife is a teacher 20 minutes away but never has to take a freeway.

Being so spoiled I don't think we could do the 9-5 type commute into the city. I admire those who can pull it off, it's a tough gig. Both of us feel pretty lucky to have it as good as we do at young ages. I'd trade it all to live on the ocean front though $$ lol.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I live 3 miles from work. Work four 10 hour days. My truck is a 2005, and has 42,000 miles.

If I commuted like some of you do, I'd need to make an extra $20k a year to break even on the truck, and another $40k for the time I spend commuting.

I want that sign. :thumbsup

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
It wasn't always this bad. I've been doing this for years.
I think 241 sucks even more. 91 on ramp is backed up a mile then you still have to make your way to Green River. More CHP on 241 and 261.
Took me 45 minutes today from when I stopped on the 241 at 4:30 'till I hit the 91. :eek
What is that four or five miles? :grumble:

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Took me 45 minutes today from when I stopped on the 241 at 4:30 'till I hit the 91. :eek
What is that four or five miles? :grumble:

There was an accident today at the 91 and 15....it was a little lamer than normal.