WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A care package showed up today.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
2 foot of 6in dia UMHW plastic, and a coupla bushings.

Using some remnant steel material I have here to do some weld in tubes to carry the bushings and making some big wheels with this plastic for that assembly.

Total lathe work, no mill work.

This is a non-pretty job for a fab company I do parts for periodically.

Brian

UMHW1.jpg

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Finished the steel bushing mounts and I am working on the wheels. I had to buy a set of pie jaws to hold the wheels. The chuck just wants to ruin the surface.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
First operation went well in the steel jaws I had machined for this client on another job. Same dia, worked decent on the stock side, but it marked up the finished surface way more than I expected, even with a shim I tried. Too low of pressure and I could pull the stock out by hand, not what you want when it is spinning 2000RPM and it still marked the part slightly. :) Too high of pressure and it really indents the finished surface.

Client was OK with the marked up part, but I told him I wasn't happy with it, so I bought a set of alum pie jaws to better support the part.

steel jaws 2nd op.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I did a pair of parts at a time. First operation, flip, first operation again on the other side, then part off GENTLY, 2nd op on the part in the check and then 2nd op on the part I just cut off.

Make sense?

This is the way I normally do big plastic parts. It is easier to hold and a little cheaper on the stock.

Pie jaws 1st op.jpg

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
2nd op ready to run.

pie jaws 2nd op.jpg

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
This job should have been done Thursday or Friday, due to delays with the tooling issues and UPS doing something with the jaws, now the machine is freed up to do the fixture for another rotary table job I am behind on now.

Time rarely stops over here.

Brian