WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Day in the Life of.....

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Your PTO cover gaskets are leaking, there is a drip hangin off the one in your video. Easy Fix.

Looks like you got some valve covers leaking too.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Your PTO cover gaskets are leaking, there is a drip hangin off the one in your video. Easy Fix.

My goodness... thanks for attention to detail. Leaky old bitch at 36. I saw an article saying the tranny fluid should be switched out each 8K miles.... hmmmm.... I'll get that done while they're digging around next week.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Thought I'd revise this thread for those experts still participating. I went back out to garage today now that I've researched some of that area online. You guys were using some tech terms I needed to get up to speed on. So here are two better suited videos from under Fernando today. First one is at Driver side.... other on Passenger side . Love to hear your inputs after viewing thinking we may have
new thoughts of leaks origin if indeed these vids help.... also I've cleaned up area and watching drip location He sits over next two days.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
is definitely coming from the engine. possibly oil pan gasket, possibly something above. we need a video following the "wetness" up the side of the engine block and around to the front main seal behind the harmonic balancer. not ruling out a rear main yet but that looks to be enough oil to suggest it is something in front of the rear main seal

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
is definitely coming from the engine. possibly oil pan gasket, possibly something above. we need a video following the "wetness" up the side of the engine block and around to the front main seal behind the harmonic balancer. not ruling out a rear main yet but that looks to be enough oil to suggest it is something in front of the rear main seal
Fuck sake you and your fancy words lol..... so should I grab a vid from up in engine compartment down or is it better from below? Or both right... more is better.
I will say seeing area more closely it kinda appears that oil is starting up near the bow area [boating site reference] and not towards the stern but just spraying from front to rear area under power.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Fuck sake you and your fancy words lol..... so should I grab a vid from up in engine compartment down or is it better from below? Or both right... more is better.
I will say seeing area more closely it kinda appears that oil is starting up near the bow area [boating site reference] and not towards the stern but just spraying from front to rear area under power.

oil moves down and backwards so if you follow it up and forward you will find the culprit. is sounding like a front main seal to me at the moment

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
oil moves down and backwards so if you follow it up and forward you will find the culprit. is sounding like a front main seal to me at the moment
Coolio. I also found a header to pipes missing a bolt and the 2nd one on that side was loose. I recall in my highschool car days I'd put on Hooker headers and they'd always need a tightening over time. Things get loose. Wish I had a tool box... this is fun! I have a guy in mind to ask for tools. enjoying the tinkering.

BTW,,,, what is the front main seal near that I may recognize as a novice?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Coolio. I also found a header to pipes missing a bolt and the 2nd one on that side was loose. I recall in my highschool car days I'd put on Hooker headers and they'd always need a tightening over time. Things get loose. Wish I had a tool box... this is fun! I have a guy in mind to ask for tools. enjoying the tinkering.

BTW,,,, what is the front main seal near that I may recognize as a novice?
front engine center just above the oil pan. it's right behind the harmonic balancer/main engine belt pulley

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I see it all now… Gringos Auto Repair Rosarita Beach BC Mexico👍
…Reparaciones para caros nueveos or viejos, we specialize in older American trucks..,
… Yes you will have to buy at a minimum a crescent wrench for below the border auto repairs🤷🏽‍♀️

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
… I see it all now… Gringos Auto Repair Rosarita Beach BC Mexico👍
…Reparaciones para caros nueveos or viejos, we specialize in older American trucks..,
… Yes you will have to buy at a minimum a crescent wrench for below the border auto repairs🤷🏽‍♀️
Im on that shit baby! Gonna take days to get my nails purty again.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
front engine center just above the oil pan. it's right behind the harmonic balancer/main engine belt pulley
"Harmonis Balancer" .... dang there goes my dick again .... Cant wait to get out there on floor again!

Oh and I walked down the street a minute ago.... apparently I'll have a full tool box at my door sat am. fucking Mexicans rock

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Looking like we getting it figured better now. More to come but looking like may be up that way. @Shlbyntro makes a great point in all oil flows down with gravity and out back with movement. Ha.... woulda probably never figured that simple fact.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Im on that shit baby! Gonna take days to get my nails purty again.
… nitrite rubber gloves… Like what they sell at harbor freight👍
… A sliced up cardboard box to lay on under the truck has been sometimes referred to as a Mexican creeper🤷🏽‍♀️
.., ask me how I know???…

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
A few pics out of the service manual:
20231215_230546.jpg

Fords line drawing:
20231215_231546.jpg

Description and Ford part numbers:
20231215_231712.jpg

Dan'l

Edit: Balancer/damper is #39.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
But I noticed your books are 1996.... safe to assume things didn't change right?

I'd imagine there were updates and reversions, but as far as the hard parts, especially timing cover, front seal, and rear main seal, date back to the late 1960s (1968, actually)

There's a few other line drawings that may be of interest, just let me know. (Timing cover and rear main seal diagrams?)

Others here may know if there's any major differences or changes.

Dan'l

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
It looks like the ZF-5 in gas applications don't require Synthetic Mercon ATF.
Just Mercon ATF.
20231216_051947.jpg

Dan'l

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My customer doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a Merry Christmas Freebie. he has always said go and never 2nd guessed anything I've ever told him his boat needed. I noticed his stereo was not working while doing systems checks and by the looks of it, it hasn't worked in a very long time. It's nothing fancy, but he's getting a new Bluetooth stereo on the house!

20231220_150423.jpg

17031067541316616525730532808797.jpg

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm going to need some biscuits [for a change]

20240111_170936.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My customer doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a Merry Christmas Freebie. he has always said go and never 2nd guessed anything I've ever told him his boat needed. I noticed his stereo was not working while doing systems checks and by the looks of it, it hasn't worked in a very long time. It's nothing fancy, but he's getting a new Bluetooth stereo on the house!

View attachment 1314635
View attachment 1314638
That’s how you build a business.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've been working on a little fun project the last couple days in between installing dashcam trackers in my landlords fleet of trucks. the best part is no 2 trucks are the same and they don't exactly come with wiring specs to find my tie ins.🤦‍♂️ but hey that's a different deal!

The fun project, tho not completely done yet is yay! another pontoon. I was asked to install a fishfinder and trolling motor. I dream of doing this kind of stuff, oil changes and impellers get pretty monotonous after a while.

I started off with deciding on a location for the troller. I typically like putting them on the same side as the driver but due to battery location It made more sense to mount it on the port side so I mocked it up and got her ready to drill.
20240117_131341.jpg

Then it was time to run wires. I built a 10 foot harness with some 8 gauge and drilled a hole in the deck above the pontoon.
20240117_155204.jpg

I fed the wire through and mounted the quick disconnect electrical socket, then trimmed the power wire on the troller and put the end on it. Pro tip: When installing a trolling motor, if your boat spends its time in any kind of open storage, (marina, lot storage, driveway, sideyard, etc.) always use the easy to remove mounting plate and electrical connections so you can dismount it and take it home. trolling motors are a favorite amongst tweaker thieves. Did I mention what a great deal I got on this trolling motor?! jk
20240117_140227.jpg

20240117_164215.jpg

Then came the power center. Where to place the batteries and charger is actually the first thing I scout whenever doing a trolling motor, or stereo, or anything that requires more power than a boat already has. Then I build out whatever system I'm doing from there. I found a nice little cubby in the backside of the front portside lounger and relocated my customers portable BBQ to under his helm. I did contemplate putting the batteries under the helm but it would have severely unbalanced the boat as the boats battery is already on that side as well as the driver so that idea was ultimately ruled out.
20240116_165930.jpg
20240118_203042.jpg

And it wasnt neccesary, but I like the clean install of a built in charge port rather than making whoever open the hatch to find the cord to plug in. Low and out of the way but easy to get to. when hole sawing an upholstery piece, do yourself a favor and always cut the cloth out with a razor blade before taking the saw to it. I learned this one the hard way a long long time ago.
20240118_203010.jpg

Then the new fishfinder found its new home. This is the location my customer chose for it and I like it too.
IMG_20240117_165913.jpg

Ok, so I kind of did it again.... my customer thinks he's getting a good quality middle of the road 7" touchscreen fishfinder. I kind of upgraded him to the top of the line Elite FS with GPS chart plotting, preloaded lake and coastal maps, and the high definition side/down scan transaducer w/ Chirp. He is an avid fisherman.
It did bite me a little. as I'm going to have to relocate the boarding ladder to the other side of the boat because the better transducer sticks out just a smidgen further than the standard one and he only has a transducer mount on the one side of the boat (he knows Im moving the ladder). It probably works out better for him because of the steering cable anyway. So here is where I am currently stopped.
IMG_20240117_092346_01.jpg

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've been working on a little fun project the last couple days in between installing dashcam trackers in my landlords fleet of trucks. the best part is no 2 trucks are the same and they don't exactly come with wiring specs to find my tie ins.🤦‍♂️ but hey that's a different deal!

The fun project, tho not completely done yet is yay! another pontoon. I was asked to install a fishfinder and trolling motor. I dream of doing this kind of stuff, oil changes and impellers get pretty monotonous after a while.

I started off with deciding on a location for the troller. I typically like putting them on the same side as the driver but due to battery location It made more sense to mount it on the port side so I mocked it up and got her ready to drill.
View attachment 1324031

Then it was time to run wires. I built a 10 foot harness with some 8 gauge and drilled a hole in the deck above the pontoon.
View attachment 1324033

I fed the wire through and mounted the quick disconnect electrical socket, then trimmed the power wire on the troller and put the end on it. Pro tip: When installing a trolling motor, if your boat spends its time in any kind of open storage, (marina, lot storage, driveway, sideyard, etc.) always use the easy to remove mounting plate and electrical connections so you can dismount it and take it home. trolling motors are a favorite amongst tweaker thieves.
View attachment 1324032
View attachment 1324034

Then came the power center. Where to place the batteries and charger is actually the first thing I scout whenever doing a trolling motor, or stereo, or anything that requires more power than a boat already has. Then I build out whatever system I'm doing from there. I found a nice little cubby in the backside of the front portside lounger and relocated my customers portable BBQ to under his helm. I did contemplate putting the batteries under the helm but it would have severely unbalanced the boat as the boats battery is already on that side as well as the driver so that idea was ultimately ruled out.
View attachment 1324029 View attachment 1324037

And it wasnt neccesary, but I like the clean install of a built in charge port rather than making whoever open the hatch to find the cord to plug in. Low and out of the way but easy to get to. when hole sawing an upholstery piece, do yourself a favor and always cut the cloth out with a razor blade before taking the saw to it. I learned this one the hard way a long long time ago.
View attachment 1324036

Then the new fishfinder found its new home. This is the location my customer chose for it and I like it too. View attachment 1324035

Ok, so I kind of did it again.... my customer thinks he's getting a good quality middle of the road 7" touchscreen fishfinder. I kind of upgraded him to the top of the line Elite FS with GPS chart plotting, preloaded lake and coastal maps, and the high definition side/down scan transaducer w/ Chirp. He is an avid fisherman.
It did bite me a little. as I'm going to have to relocate the boarding ladder to the other side of the boat because the better transducer sticks out just a smidgen further than the standard one and he only has a transducer mount on the one side of the boat (he knows Im moving the ladder). It probably works out better for him because of the steering cable anyway. So here is where I am currently stopped.
View attachment 1324030
Master Mechanic stuff.... Love it when a guy goes above client expectations. Creative and thoughtful work. You da man.

My Austin buddy bought a home on water last year and has a dock so bought a small Cobalt. Thinking around 23-25'.... I'll be sure he has your contact should he run into something he can't resolve. He was just through here staying at my Mexico pad looking at a Toyota car release that won't be sold in USA... Mexico will get 300 of em we learned.... he wants one to pull behind his RV as he travels a lot in US and Canada in RV.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Master Mechanic stuff.... Love it when a guy goes above client expectations. Creative and thoughtful work. You da man.

My Austin buddy bought a home on water last year and has a dock so bought a small Cobalt. Thinking around 23-25'.... I'll be sure he has your contact should he run into something he can't resolve. He was just through here staying at my Mexico pad looking at a Toyota car release that won't be sold in USA... Mexico will get 300 of em we learned.... he wants one to pull behind his RV as he travels a lot in US and Canada in RV.
257hp AWD 3cyl turbo...that looks like it could be real fun!

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

View attachment 1324031

View attachment 1324033

I fed the wire through and mounted the quick disconnect electrical socket, then trimmed the power wire on the troller and put the end on it. Pro tip: When installing a trolling motor, if your boat spends its time in any kind of open storage, (marina, lot storage, driveway, sideyard, etc.) always use the easy to remove mounting plate and electrical connections so you can dismount it and take it home. trolling motors are a favorite amongst tweaker thieves. Did I mention what a great deal I got on this trolling motor?! jk
View attachment 1324032
View attachment 1324034

View attachment 1324029 View attachment 1324037

View attachment 1324036

Then the new fishfinder found its new home. This is the location my customer chose for it and I like it too. View attachment 1324035

View attachment 1324030
You make a New Year’s resolution to give every customer an upgrade? Free head unit, now top of the line fish finder… what’s next? At this pace I’m brining my boat from Parker for an oil change.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
257hp AWD 3cyl turbo...that looks like it could be real fun!
Japan only releasing 300 to Mexico this year and US doesn't get any cause of safety or smog or something.... so he's looking into getting one down in my hood and somehow licensing it for states travel behind RV.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My pontoon customer with fishfinder/trolling motor showed up the other day with an old lightbar that appeared to have come off a jeep.

"Hey, can you install this on the front of the boat?"

"Sure, but the only place I can safely mount it is under the deck down near the water, I can't make any guarantees as to how long it'll last down there."

"Thats cool, do it!"

Don't, worry all. I'm sure he intends to only use it while docking😳😅
20240125_100505.jpg

Also, he saw the new fishfinder and wants to know what it would take to hook up the autopilot on the trolling motor. Was this my plan all along?? 😈 The world will never know.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
@Shlbyntro I was thinking about you and your little one, I can't find the thread, how is she? Sorry if you've updated lately and I missed it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My pontoon customer with fishfinder/trolling motor showed up the other day with an old lightbar that appeared to have come off a jeep.

"Hey, can you install this on the front of the boat?"

"Sure, but the only place I can safely mount it is under the deck down near the water, I can't make any guarantees as to how long it'll last down there."

"Thats cool, do it!"

Don't, worry all. I'm sure he intends to only use it while docking😳😅 View attachment 1326256

Also, he saw the new fishfinder and wants to know what it would take to hook up the autopilot on the trolling motor. Was this my plan all along?? 😈 The world will never know.
Not a big fisherman...but does the fishfinder act like a Terminator...seek and destroy?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Not a big fisherman...but does the fishfinder act like a Terminator...seek and destroy?

no but you can set it to hold a fixed GPS position; follow pre programmed routes, headings, patterns, etc. It does require the purchase of an extra coms kit and adding a nmea2000 network to the boat tho. What he doesn't know is his outboard is Smartcraft enabled and I can hook that up to the GPS unit too! I wonder if I should tell him?? 🤔 lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
hey look! an empty(ish) shop.
20240129_163819.jpg

for a second anyway. Im going mobile tomorrow for a big block engine reassembly in the boat, I'm not the one who disassembled it😳

Fun story, I went to return my buddies pontoon back to his storage today and the guy double rented his spot to somebody else while it was gone (less than 10 days while I was borrowing his trailer) We got it all figured out but thats Hudson Bend for ya lol. On to the next one!

Last edited: