WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A few questions about US MILITARY Defense...???

Bear Down

Reaction score
I was having a good conversation with my FIL last night about military and whos the most dominant globally and the topic of manufacturing of our Military Vehicles/Ships/air craft and other vital defenses... Is every piece that is used to produce any such equipment 100% US MADE/Manufactured ?? I can't imagine if we EVER get into some type of WAR with China/Soviet Union, that if we have some sort of need to manufacture more equipment that we can just call our adversary and order some "micro chips" or parts needed to repair/produce... Even getting parts from Allies would be a risk, I would think... Inquiring mind wants to know..

Bear Down

Reaction score
We weren't dependent on other countries during WW1 and WW2, we did everything ourselves, today we are dependent on other countries and I think that is a bad thing.
That is what triggered that question. We talked about the military during WW1 and WW2 and how the country was self sufficient and dominant.... And wondered how we stand today..

SW_GLASS

Reaction score
I work for Raytheon Missile Systems here in Tucson AZ. When looking at our missiles themselves every piece is either bought or made in the USA period. There are some very seldom instances where we would have to buy a component outside the USA but most the time if the part we need isnt from the USA then find a new part or change the design. And if we do use a non USA part it is in no way used on the actual final product. It is normally used for testing or something like that.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My friends own a cable and connector company here in San Diego, they supply lots of military wiring harnesses. All built right here in their facility in Kearny Mesa. Now, the little plastic connectors....

nowski

Reaction score
I work for Raytheon Missile Systems here in Tucson AZ. When looking at our missiles themselves every piece is either bought or made in the USA period. There are some very seldom instances where we would have to buy a component outside the USA but most the time if the part we need isnt from the USA then find a new part or change the design. And if we do use a non USA part it is in no way used on the actual final product. It is normally used for testing or something like that.

I can relate, my son works for Raytheon in SB...

Raytheon 1.JPG

azsunfun

Reaction score
Any country would win a war against us, with country hating democrats around, they would just wave white flag, internally that country would have whole lot of whipass coming

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
lots of commodity level and materials stuff that goes in is sourced by global enterprise. allies supply some, but the audit trail for pure US content is reserved for only the blackest of programs. if we had to, we could do it for all mil programs, but buttwipe paper or office supplies or such are not deemed worthy of the expense. as a practical matter, we are good capitalists and we practice cost controls. because, you know, 'government waste', 'big government', $100 toilet seats, etc.

nowski

Reaction score
I used to build parts for Boeing tanker, f35, f22, f16, subs, missles, ect. All parts are from us based companies. Steel and metal 100% us no exceptions. Connectors and cabling could come from China but through a us based company.
All of it has to be ITAR

I use to work on all those mentioned and then some, all carbon carbon components does PK ring a bell??? My typical workday would be locked in a building all day or as I would call it solitary confinement on a mission...

Here's a few pics I can share...

Delta 2.jpg
Gem GVN.jpg
Vectorable Rocket Nozzle.jpg
Static Firing Utah.jpg

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I was having a good conversation with my FIL last night about military and whos the most dominant globally and the topic of manufacturing of our Military Vehicles/Ships/air craft and other vital defenses... Is every piece that is used to produce any such equipment 100% US MADE/Manufactured ?? I can't imagine if we EVER get into some type of WAR with China/Soviet Union, that if we have some sort of need to manufacture more equipment that we can just call our adversary and order some "micro chips" or parts needed to repair/produce... Even getting parts from Allies would be a risk, I would think... Inquiring mind wants to know..

Not today ChinaMAN, OPSEC

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score

Does this include all microprocessing chips and electronic components as well........yes I get that you can source various types of structural materials like carbon composites within the US from suppliers but are they {{{the us supplier your buying from}}} actually producing the rolls of the carbon weave fabric that the customer receives or are they outsourcing from abroad and then redistributing to their US customers? There is a big difference between the two. Best example I can think of would be that there are only a couple places in the world you can purchase the actual high end glass for optics like rifle scopes or cctv cameras and none of them are within the us or are actual us companies.

4Waters

Reaction score
That is what triggered that question. We talked about the military during WW1 and WW2 and how the country was self sufficient and dominant.... And wondered how we stand today..
Shit, in the world wars our men went to fight and the women stepped up and built planes, tanks, ships...... to support their men🇺🇲.

My wife would step up but she is one of only a few that would today😔. She'd cut her nails, put her hair up and get her hands dirty if that is what she needed to do to keep our freedom.

Cdog

Reaction score
I got a bad feeling "We" are going to tear each other apart before another country has a chance. The "Free shit Army" are going to out vote and tear this bitch apart at the seems.

When the checks stop. Johns mustache will be against the wall. 😆

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Does this include all microprocessing chips and electronic components as well........yes I get that you can source various types of structural materials like carbon composites within the US from suppliers but are they {{{the us supplier your buying from}}} actually producing the rolls of the carbon weave fabric that the customer receives or are they outsourcing from abroad and then redistributing to their US customers? There is a big difference between the two. Best example I can think of would be that there are only a couple places in the world you can purchase the actual high end glass for optics like rifle scopes or cctv cameras and none of them are within the us or are actual us companies.
good observation.
the following is singular anecdote: one example in the electronics assembly business to recall the problem with Rohm and Haas underfill supply, circa 2011. it is one example of how a single dominant supplier can affect multiple industries with a shortage of a reliability critical commodity. the board can be assembled without it, but will last a fraction of the time expected, or maybe fail endurance as simple as a shipping test. (BTW, the market for underfill has many more players now, partially in response to opportunity)

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I use to work on all those mentioned and then some, all carbon carbon components does PK ring a bell??? My typical workday would be locked in a building all day or as I would call it solitary confinement on a mission...

View attachment 1010871
huge bottlerocket. it's been a long time since I was at a test

Taboma

Reaction score

View attachment 1010868 View attachment 1010869 View attachment 1010870 View attachment 1010871

Oh Geeze, but seeing stick on tye wrap bases isn't comforting. Those things only seem to have a life span of about a month in an electrical panel. Although admittedly, pre-adhesion prep might be skimped on. 😁

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I can attest to this in down to the building structures themselves also require 100% USA manufactured materials. Our plumbing department actually had to rip out a bunch of DWV at the new South Entry gate building we are doing do to it not being manufactured in the US.

Dalton

Reaction score
I think everything is supposed to be 100% made in USA, but I’ve first hand seen exceptions, I’m sure it’s for cost savings.

Let’s say a war broke out and we could no longer get a part that came from overseas, things like the Defense Production Act would come into play, it’s just a matter of money......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Down

Reaction score
I can attest to this in down to the building structures themselves also require 100% USA manufactured materials. Our plumbing department actually had to rip out a bunch of DWV at the new South Entry gate building we are doing do to it not being manufactured in the US.
I figured as such... i didn't want to speak out if ignorance and use my opinion as fact. I had a feeling that the US Government would be tied to technology or electronics that are only supplied by another country.... I can give 2 shits about where the toilet paper comes from (pun intended)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

69hondo

Reaction score
I am part of new construction on a Sothern California naval base and all I can tell you is the material that we provide has to be U.S. manufactured or as the job states "Buy US" Nothing of foreign manufacturing permitted.

fmo24

Reaction score
Lotsa folks don’t realize that those $100 toilet seats and other such items actually funded black-ops programs back in the day.

It was an easy way to hide money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That and cert’s and single source reqmn’t really add to the cost of the end product Among other bs waste in the process

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I used to build parts for Boeing tanker, f35, f22, f16, subs, missles, ect. All parts are from us based companies. Steel and metal 100% us no exceptions. Connectors and cabling could come from China but through a us based company.
All of it has to be ITAR

Lol dealing with ITAR for data center infrastructure is fun :)

mothershipper

Reaction score
I can also chime in on this from experience. I was involved is a major remodel of a commissary on both an army and air force base. Every part down to the simplest transformer or EMT coupling had to be made in the US. Sure was nice, cause the materials were all of much better quality than i am used to dealing with.

HBCraig

Reaction score
We weren't dependent on other countries during WW1 and WW2, we did everything ourselves, today we are dependent on other countries and I think that is a bad thing.
100%

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I am part of new construction on a Sothern California naval base and all I can tell you is the material that we provide has to be U.S. manufactured or as the job states "Buy US" Nothing of foreign manufacturing permitted.
That's awesome! But where exactly does the rebar come from?...........

Deckin Around

Reaction score
That's awesome! But where exactly does the rebar come from?...........
Nucor in Charlotte NC. the largest steel producer in the US and the biggest recycler of scrap in North America.
Also Commercial Metals Company in TX

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Nucor in Charlotte NC. the largest steel producer in the US and the biggest recycler of scrap in North America.
Also Commercial Metals Company in TX
Thanks! I'll keep them in mind next time I do any public works projects 👍

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Back in the late 80's early 90's I was working at General Dynamics and was involved in a black program. It was the advanced cruise missile or ACM. I was in NDT at the time, but I worked with the people developing the stealth (ram/ras).

Yes everything was 100% US made.

The only reason I bring up the ACM is I was amazed at what we were doing that most people had no idea. Now 30+ yrs later I can't even imagine the black programs they have going now.