WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Job Offer

Nordie

Reaction score
I will say I feel privileged to be offered.

1st problem is relocation, Salt Lake area. Yes I have been talking about leaving the Las Vegas area, so when I got the offer I was shocked. I don't think my wife is going to be okay with living there and being that far away from her daughter.

2nd problem is I don't think the incentives are going to be worth it. I have yet sat down with the higher powers to see, but from what I am told I may be taking a pay cut with more potential to move up later. I can understand this, but I don't think the cost of living is cheaper in SLC vs Las Vegas. I feel very privileged to be recognized by my company, but the incentives just don't seem to be there. I mean I could be wrong about this though.

However I find myself questioning my immediate no response. I thought my immediate no would just let me move on, but it seems like it isn't, as one of my bosses asked me about it again the other day.

I just don't know what to think. I love my job and what I have started, I'm on phase 3 of a big project that I want to finish.

I guess I'm ranting, because I don't really have people close to me in my working environment that I can discuss this with.

Singleton

Reaction score
Have a honest conversation about your concerns with the hiring manager. Some items might get resolved, since some folks chase a title vs roles, responsibilities, etc.
A no will sometimes impact you unless you are honest why you said no.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Discuss it with the wife. You should get a pretty clear picture of what you are going to do. That should make it easier sense it’s both your lives it affects

BajaMike

Reaction score
See if the company would temporarily relocate you, keep family in Vegas for three months, go home on weekends, see how you like it.

Nordie

Reaction score
Discuss it with the wife. You should get a pretty clear picture of what you are going to do. That should make it easier sense it’s both your lives it affects

My 2 supers were basically asked if it was ok to talk to me about it. They never told me this until later. My first conversation to anyone was my wife to see what she thought. She was happy for me to get the offer, but she didn't seem to be okay with it being SLC. I think if it was south Utah and she only needed to drive 3 hours she would be okay with this move.

I would negotiate to keep yourself whole if you are even halfway interested. Opportunity knocks softly, and you may not get asked a second time.....

This is my concern, I may not ever get asked again. I mean I never thought I would ever even get this offer to be honest.

What scares me is if it doesn't work out they won't just put me back in the field, I'll just end up looking for a new job. I love the company I work for, it would suck to start over.

I thought the no would make it go away, and maybe there was a better guy out there than me.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I too have the opportunity to move to Salt Lake City. I have been doing a ton of research and as with you am undecided after being offered 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Utah is a beautiful state and maybe in my top 5 choices. Biggest concerns I have is it sucks to be cold and I heard the inversion sucks there also. And trying to buy liquor in a grocery store is impossible. I guess I would need to spend a solid week up there to make a sound decision.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I will say I feel privileged to be offered.

1st problem is relocation, Salt Lake area. Yes I have been talking about leaving the Las Vegas area, so when I got the offer I was shocked. I don't think my wife is going to be okay with living there and being that far away from her daughter.

2nd problem is I don't think the incentives are going to be worth it. I have yet sat down with the higher powers to see, but from what I am told I may be taking a pay cut with more potential to move up later. I can understand this, but I don't think the cost of living is cheaper in SLC vs Las Vegas. I feel very privileged to be recognized by my company, but the incentives just don't seem to be there. I mean I could be wrong about this though.

However I find myself questioning my immediate no response. I thought my immediate no would just let me move on, but it seems like it isn't, as one of my bosses asked me about it again the other day.

I just don't know what to think. I love my job and what I have started, I'm on phase 3 of a big project that I want to finish.

I guess I'm ranting, because I don't really have people close to me in my working environment that I can discuss this with.
Aren’t you a iron worker. Is the job still in the trades.

cofooter

Reaction score
My 2 supers were basically asked if it was ok to talk to me about it. They never told me this until later. My first conversation to anyone was my wife to see what she thought. She was happy for me to get the offer, but she didn't seem to be okay with it being SLC. I think if it was south Utah and she only needed to drive 3 hours she would be okay with this move.

This is my concern, I may not ever get asked again. I mean I never thought I would ever even get this offer to be honest.

What scares me is if it doesn't work out they won't just put me back in the field, I'll just end up looking for a new job. I love the company I work for, it would suck to start over.

I thought the no would make it go away, and maybe there was a better guy out there than me.
Sometimes you gotta take a chance, they picked you for a reason, no one can decide but yourself! Not easy, gotta go with your gut!!! I got an opportunity to move from CA to CO 20yrs ago. Decided CO was a better place to raise my girls. Sucked for me initially, thought I was going to go back with tail between my legs, but I got through it, and turns out. looking back, it was one of the best decisions I ever made........ trust yourself and your capabilities, and decide.........

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
So a pay cut and now you get to pay state income taxes?... That's a hard sell. I'd take Utah over Las Vegas, but where is the benefit here?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I too have the opportunity to move to Salt Lake City. I have been doing a ton of research and as with you am undecided after being offered 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Utah is a beautiful state and maybe in my top 5 choices. Biggest concerns I have is it sucks to be cold and I heard the inversion sucks there also. And trying to buy liquor in a grocery store is impossible. I guess I would need to spend a solid week up there to make a sound decision.

Someone else can chime in as I’ve never lived there or bought liquor at a grocery store but over all what everyone has mentioned to me about liquor laws in Utah has been completely false. Things have changed a lot, you don’t have to become a member of the brewery or bar to drink. They do still have some goofy laws but they have some of the best bars and breweries I’ve been to. Beer from the tap is 3% but you can get an IPA in a bottle at red rock brewery that’s 13%!!! It’s all funny math to them, if it’s out of the tap it has be low alcohol but if it’s in a bottle it can be whatever you want. Makes no sense. Great whiskey bars downtown. Speakeasy’s. Great food. Etc. there is a huge homeless problem in downtown salt lake but you wouldn’t be living in those areas anyway.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Go with whatever you and your wife feel is best. Don't worry about being asked again, if not for this company, it may be another. Wife has to be on board, or it stresses out what should be great.

rickym20

Reaction score
Tough decision for sure. Not sure how long you been with your current local but I am sure long enough to be vested and have some decent pension credits built up. I would see about keeping your current package since Salt lakes is a lot less not only on scale side but benefits as well.
Currently starting a job next week in Salt Lake that the company you work for is on as well. Great Construction market there right now.Booming for sure.

Salt Lake housing market is climbing like every where else but if you are a outdoors person then it would be hard to beat.

CDFA5055-8AAB-4710-AEA7-BDEB8C67013D.jpeg

TrollerDave

Reaction score
And whatever you decide, accept it and don’t go “woulda, coulda ,shoulda”. The grass isn’t always greener.
I wouldn’t worry about the pay cut so much, especially if there is more of an opportunity to move up.
The hardest thing seems to be the daughter. Sounds like an ex with joint custody deal. No one should blame you for staying for that reason alone.
Good luck with your decision. Again, accept and be happy with whatever you decide.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I’ve never understood a promotion that potentially brings a pay cut.... I see going from hourly working overtime, to change to salary...

but the offer letter can be negotiated to make pay whole barring working buttloads of ot on salary.

I’ll never go backwards on pay with the same employer.... up, or nothing.

—Sherpa

gqchris

Reaction score
I was in the same position last year. Although did not have to relocate. I felt that if I didnt take the position that I would not have been given opportunity to stay in current role. So I shot for the moon, and they bit.

Shoot high. Trust me, it takes them 20-30k just in recruiter fees to just to get someone in the door.

Hows it going for me now? Its a giant pain in the ass and I wish I could have stayed in my comfy role. But oh well, its good for the resume and sometimes we have to dodge and weave with the punches.

Good luck brotha!

jones performance

Reaction score
pay cut and then paying 4.95% in state income taxes on top? a couple sites claim slc is 6% higher cost of living as well. they paying for relocation expenses?

im thinking it needs to be really worth it to disrupt the family life and deal with the potential fallout from it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
IMHO, if your wife isn't on board or can't figure out an end around to deal with daughter then the topic is moot. It is advisable to sit and discuss this with with the company so they understand your decision and why. No reason to burn any bridges with a point blank "no". Never know, their next offer might be better and local.

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
They want you to do something for them, and move back while doing the favor, plus you're already worried about your wife. I don't like it. Money is the universal language - you do something for me, i give you this for motivation to do it well - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Negotiate, if they really want you, the move could be structured many different ways. Get your concerns on papaer and go sit down with HR or your supervisor and just layout what might work for you. Express your appreciation while letting them know you need to look out for your family. A professionally reasoned decline is always better than just a NO.

GOOD LUCK

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Tough decision for sure. Not sure how long you been with your current local but I am sure long enough to be vested and have some decent pension credits built up. I would see about keeping your current package since Salt lakes is a lot less not only on scale side but benefits as well.
Currently starting a job next week in Salt Lake that the company you work for is on as well. Great Construction market there right now.Booming for sure.

Salt Lake housing market is climbing like every where else but if you are a outdoors person then it would be hard to beat.

View attachment 964221
this is right next to my office.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So a pay cut and now you get to pay state income taxes?... That's a hard sell. I'd take Utah over Las Vegas, but where is the benefit here?

That's what my first thought was also. If they really want you to pickup stakes and have a pissed off wife they would have to make one hell of an offer. I would be respectful and just explain the situation to them. Communication is Key!!!

boatpi

Reaction score
Nordie, you answered your own question go with your heart and stay with the love of your life it seems pretty simple stay where are at. I just don’t see any positives to what you explained.

Ct5

Reaction score
I was born and raised in SLC. It’s a beautiful place. You do have to deal with the cold winters. I was never into snowboarding or skiing and I hated working in the cold. There are several lakes within an hour drive of Salt Lake. Tons of recreation in the mountains, nice resorts, concerts, great restaurants, all within a short distance of the city. Downtown Salt Lake has excellent restaurants and bars. The city is clean. It does get inverted and smog sets in in the winter. It’s not a make or break thing in my opinion, it’s tolerable.

I moved away for a few reasons.
1. Housing is way overpriced. There isn’t much real estate left in the nicer suburbs within 10 miles of Salt Lake. The valley has expanded way south and west. That area is less than desirable and the traffic on I-15 into the city sucks. For some reason the houses are massive and the lots generally aren’t. I don’t understand why the average house needs to be 3500sq ft plus.
2. My job pays less
3. I dont want to work outside in the snow if I don’t have to (especially when it doesn’t pay well)

Liquor stores are state run and are closed Sunday. Liquor is expensive. A lot of businesses are closed on Sunday. Restaurants have goofy liquor rules but you can still go just about anywhere and get a beer.

If you like snow sports, boating, hiking, hunting, and you work indoors, Salt Lake is a hard place to beat. Flights to Vegas are cheap or it’s a 6hr drive (traffic is almost never an issue coming or going).

Nordie

Reaction score
I'm staying, there was someone that I am hearing is going to take the position. Quite honestly I think he is a better fit at the position as well. When I received the offer I actually thought of him vs myself. I'm more of a field guy, and deal exceptionally well with contractors face to face, but I have some weaker points.

Like today for instance one truck driver was upset where I parked my work truck, even though 3 other drivers had driven past just fine. He was upset that he had to steer a little more and just wanted to be a dick. I offered to rearrange his teeth. I was in the middle of fixing major problems on a structure, and his extra steering was of no concern to me.

DaveH

Reaction score
is MONEY really the deciding factor for you? i ask because there are other things to consider.

first of all....especially if you are an iron worker....construction is BOOMING up there unlike anything i have seen in a great many years. and i see no end to it. Where as i see Vegas in trouble and that's great you have work now but i suspect work in Vegas will be tougher to come by in years to come.

yeah...getting use to utah winters will be a shock to the system......but hey, since you live in Vegas...summer will be a NICE up there compared to here.

then there is quality of life. Utah doesn't have half the grafitti, crime, and losers that nevada does. Yes, their liquor laws do suck and buying booze is a PITA at the limited selection state run stores with limited hours, limited locations and expensive prices.

Its a beautiful state, with lots to do, reasonable housing costs, very family oriented.......so where does quality of life come into your decision then simply money?

Nordie

Reaction score
is MONEY really the deciding factor for you? i ask because there are other things to consider.

first of all....especially if you are an iron worker....construction is BOOMING up there unlike anything i have seen in a great many years. and i see no end to it. Where as i see Vegas in trouble and that's great you have work now but i suspect work in Vegas will be tougher to come by in years to come.

yeah...getting use to utah winters will be a shock to the system......but hey, since you live in Vegas...summer will be a NICE up there compared to here.

then there is quality of life. Utah doesn't have half the grafitti, crime, and losers that nevada does. Yes, their liquor laws do suck and buying booze is a PITA at the limited selection state run stores with limited hours, limited locations and expensive prices.

Its a beautiful state, with lots to do, reasonable housing costs, very family oriented.......so where does quality of life come into your decision then simply money?

The money was not the only deciding factor, trust me I want to leave Las Vegas, and feel privileged to even be considered..

There was a ton of factors, my wife being number one.

Number 2 I am not a cold weather guy.

I understand the potential to move up and take a ding here and there money wise, but I've done it before and have been okay with it. However I don't think there were any incentives to make it worth while.

I guess I still have a temper as the post above