WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A new ICE engine??

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its a neat principle. It looks to be taking some ques from the Wenkel and mixing them with other principles from a jet engine. Theyre claiming as much as 160hp from a total engine package weight of 35lbs and that operating rpm is 1,000-25,000 with an unrivaled fuel efficiency and emissions. It is also supposedly a multifuel capable design. Theres a short clip of a working prototype at the end of the video. Ill believe the viability when I see it, but the whole concept is still cool none the less

omega-one-is-a-game-changing-internal-combustion-engine-too-good-to-be-true-179507_1.jpg
omega-one-is-a-game-changing-internal-combustion-engine-too-good-to-be-true_1.jpg
omega-one-is-a-game-changing-internal-combustion-engine-too-good-to-be-true_2.jpg
omega-one-is-a-game-changing-internal-combustion-engine-too-good-to-be-true_3.jpg
omega-one-is-a-game-changing-internal-combustion-engine-too-good-to-be-true_4.jpg

Electric vehicles are taking the world by storm and the internal combustion engine’s fate looks sealed, but there’s still life in the old gas-burning power plant. At least that’s what Astreon engineers think while showing a new ICE concept. They claim this is an almost zero emissions engine, despite burning fuel inside its combustion chambers.

Instead of pistons, the new engine packs a couple of rotary gears that look a lot like aviation turbines. It’s also reminiscent of the rotary engine, but with a better design that eliminates the Wankel’s weaknesses. To oversimplify, we can say the Omega 1 engine designed by Astreon Aerospace takes the four strokes of a combustion engine and divides them into two independent chambers.

The engine has two shafts that rotate in opposite directions via synchronizing gears, with four rotors running in pairs on the two shafts. The first pair takes care of the intake and compression, while the second pair does the combustion and exhaust strokes. These are complemented by a rotary disc valve and a pre-chamber that are located between the two sets of rotors. This is where the fuel is injected.

The working principles of this engine are a little harder to understand for a layman like you and me. Luckily, Astreon showed us a detailed video to help us visualize the whole process. The video also details various engine parts and their role in the combustion process. With precision machining, this engine does not need any seals to keep the fluids inside. This incredibly simple design might be considered a threat to the electric vehicles’ future, promising a long life with very little maintenance required.

As the name of the company suggests, this should be the ideal airplane engine, being light and powerful, while also completely vibrations-free. However, it could also power a wide range of vehicles, starting with motorcycles and going all the way up to the heaviest types of machinery. According to Astreon, the new engine is capable of delivering 160 horsepower and 170 lb-ft (230 Nm) of torque while weighing only 35 lbs. (15.9 kg). It idles at 1,000 rpm but can go as high as 25,000 rpm under full load.

Of course, Astreon suggests you could daisy-chain two or more such engines for more power, and we assume they can also be built bigger. There are no sealing problems with this engine concept, unlike with the classic rotary engine. Astreon also promises it can run on various fuels with very low emissions. This sounds a little too good to be true, but we’ll sure keep an eye on this one to see how it will develop in the future.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Nice cartoon. Where’s the real deal?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Interesting concept for sure 👍

Rotational means no wasted energy rapidly accelerating, decelerating a piston.

And no rotor apex seals to worry about 👍

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Combustion chamber ... rotors side sealing accomplished with precision machining?
Can certainly work - for a short time. I'm curious about longer term.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
So I watched the video all the way. To quote the famous Ossie philosopher
“Ya - Nah”
I’ve got a Franklin hit and miss that runs better.
The one I like is the opposed piston.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Am I the only kinda wondering how this thing works? 😳

I skimmed the video but…. Wtf?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Interesting, Rotax meets wankel...and Pete Jackson :oops:
As @pronstar said, the lack of reciprocating mass makes it much more efficient, no wasting energy. In effect, it looks like the "stroke" of a normal motor has been turned into a radial motion. Pretty slick idea.
@JDKRXW hit the nail on the head though, wear. No matter how precise the machining, moving parts will wear. Tolerances and heat cycles will cause issues down the road.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
could be the best engine in the world... the fact that it still uses a fossil fuel it'll be VERY short lived. mandates are up, no more emissions allowed.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
could be the best engine in the world... the fact that it still uses a fossil fuel it'll be VERY short lived. mandates are up, no more emissions allowed.
if you noticed, it said the only emissions were water vapor and very limited if any NOX. I imagine the only way they got to this figure was by running it on hydrogen but still..... if they could get the energy efficiency up to over 60% even if still using petroleum [by spending 10 grand or more in overnight parts from Japan] "It would decimate all!" in the overall carbon/heavy metal footprint department

and that includes EVs

yes. it is a very big IF

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
If it makes 160 HP and 170 Ftl LB at 25K RPM you need to bring that speed down to something manageable to work in a vehicle.

This amount of reduction is quite severe.

It would be a great generator motor with a multipole head - but as a motive engine..... Im not so sure.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If it makes 160 HP and 170 Ftl LB at 25K RPM you need to bring that speed down to something manageable to work in a vehicle.

This amount of reduction is quite severe.

It would be a great generator motor with a multipole head - but as a motive engine..... Im not so sure.

i mean if they can do it with turboprops...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I guess... kind of....thats a multi stage reduction gearbox that never reduces to zero or completely disengages like wheels will require.
If they placed a planetary reduction on the output, and then your coupling device, either clutch or torque converter, you would reduce the speed to a more normal rpm while increasing generated torque...
Or,
Attach a CVT setup to it...and play with tuning?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
If they placed a planetary reduction on the output, and then your coupling device, either clutch or torque converter, you would reduce the speed to a more normal rpm while increasing generated torque...
Or,
Attach a CVT setup to it...and play with tuning?

CVT = instant 20% HP loss.