WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

aa/fueler found

rrrr

Reaction score
Daaaang! A Gilmore chassis with a Hanna body? That's killer. With all the 392 parts, wheels, and the trailer, it's worth a lot of money. That brings back memories of beautifully painted AA/FDs pushed off down the strip by station wagons and turned around to fire the engines, burnouts, and ten light Chrondek trees using colored incandescent spotlights.

It's a shame the old man will die before the dragster and GTO are touched again.

Last edited:

BlowMe

Reaction score
Randomly stumbled across that video a couple of nights ago. What a badass and awesome find...

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Cool video. Had a Mr Ed Custom trailer under my Hondo flat. Bitchen trailers.

Reaction score
that stuff looks like it's been there for years in that very DRY ready to combust over grown brush.

parker guy

Reaction score
How awesome....my Dad had a dragster back in these days...great memories

4Waters

Reaction score
That kid was very surprised how they sat in those cars, I've been lucky enough to sit in one while being towed down the return road at LACR. I want to see the rest of the video.

@Willie B I know you have a story about this and we would love to hear it.

@Gramps might know this car as well

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics I found
Moon-Opener.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
Great video thanks for sharing.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
it sucks that some people are more willing to let it rot, than they are to see it brought back to life.

I couldn't agree more. My Ultra was half a cunt hair from being committed to scrap when I got ahold of her. I had all but given up hope when the owner called me up months later and said ok. I pretty much only gave him scrap value but promised him I intended to restore it and keep it. I probably put close to $20,000 in the restoration.

Theres an old 28' ft Warlock cat I have to drive by every day out here in TX with twin 500 bullies that is just sitting and rotting on a trailer it hasn't moved in at least 10 yrs and has trees and brush starting to over grow it. I've been inside the boat and even talked with the owner a few times. I've begged him to sell it to me and let me restore it too but he thinks it's worth more than giraffe pussy. It breaks my heart to see that boat they way it is, especially with how rare it is.

At least my flat lives in a garage and is protected. I may even make an effort to finish her this winter, but nobody could ever accuse me of the neglect that that front engine drag has seen....

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about what this kind of stuff is worth, I gotta think that $90,000 is pretty high for the condition that car and trailer were in. But I can also appreciate that restoring vintage racing machines frequently you will spend way more than you will ever get back.
Gotta admit I was surprised in how easily he was moving those Hemi heads, block and wheels around. Tough old boy.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
That kid was very surprised how they sat in those cars, I've been lucky enough to sit in one while being towed down the return road at LACR. I want to see the rest of the video.

@Willie B I know you have a story about this and we would love to hear it.
...Wilie B would love to tell a story But I’m not feeling not feeling well at all... Spent a couple of days in The Providence Saint Joseph ER in Burbank...they were trying to get me admited...this is all related to pain from the damage to my spinal cord from my broken neck deal ...
...The ER people tried but due to the Covid they’re simply wernt any beds... So it looks like I’m gonna have to try and tough this out at home???...
...Oh I forgot to mention the fact that I got a hard palm/thump to the shoulder by a 23-year-old security guard who must have thought he was working in the ghetto... apparently you’re not supposed to get up and wander around with the virus going on ...well nobody told me...Fuck!!!..

... Oh yeah the Fueler...I have seen that video before but I do not recall the car at all... I’m not sure but I think the video said it was from the early 70s so that would’ve been one of the last of the front motored cars... i’ll have to watch the video again...
...I spent a couple of years trying to locate the fueler that I drove ...got a few leads talked to the guy we sold the car to but never did find the car???...

4Waters

Reaction score
...Wilie B would love to tell a story But I’m not feeling not feeling well at all... Spent a couple of days in The Providence Saint Joseph ER in Burbank...they were trying to get me admited...this is all related to pain from the damage to my spinal cord from my broken neck deal ...
...The ER people tried but due to the Covid they’re simply wernt any beds... So it looks like I’m gonna have to try and tough this out at home???...
...Oh I forgot to mention the fact that I got a hard palm/thump to the shoulder by a 23-year-old security guard who must have thought he was working in the ghetto... apparently you’re not supposed to get up and wander around with the virus going on ...well nobody told me...Fuck!!!..

... Oh yeah the Fueler...I have seen that video before but I do not recall the car at all... I’m not sure but I think the video said it was from the early 70s so that would’ve been one of the last of the front motored cars... i’ll have to watch the video again...
...I spent a couple of years trying to locate the fueler that I drove ...got a few leads talked to the guy we sold the car to but never did find the car???...
Feel better @Willie B sorry you're in so much pain.

rrrr

Reaction score
Hope you heal quickly, Willie.

bentprops

Reaction score
I know of all kinds of people sitting on millions in rare cars that live in shacks, not worth 20k. I think its sad but heck its there life.

wishiknew

Reaction score

It was driven by Dean Moon of moon eyes fame

Clank123

Reaction score
Well the cool thing is the car is pretty much all there.
As for the value?
I am involved in the Front Motor, Cackle Car world and to put a price on what is worth, it is important to know what the history of the car is(wins, championships, records, competitiveness, drivers and people involved with the build).
Having read about this car on other forums, there are few details about the cars history which other than the Moon livery does not enhance the value. It has been determined that it is not a Woody Gilmore chassis but a Foy Gilmore chassis out of Florida. The tin was not from Tom Hanna but someone else(can’t remember the name).
There is even speculation on how Dean Moon was even involved with the car.
No doubt it went down the racetrack a few times, but was probably seen by more people at shopping malls and car shows.
Is it a cool piece of history..,you bet!
Would I love to restore it and no doubt it would be a hit at Nostalgia races and Cackle events?
Absolutely!
Sadly given the lack of history and accomplishments, even with the Dean Moon tie...it would only be worth in today’s market, no more the 65-70 grand, restored, to the right guy.
The Mr. Ed trailer is very desirable and collectors would probably pay right around 15k for either one.

I had the opportunity to restore the Ewell/ Stecker/Kamboor AA Fueler a few years back. Had great history on the SoCal tracks and all the right people had a hand in it(Kent Fuller chassis, Cerney Tin and Tony Nancy upholstery. Driver Jack Ewell was the parts manager for Mickey Thompson.
Car is now owned by Jack Ewell Jr. and resides on the starting line at the Lions Drag Strip Museum.
D02B45C1-89C2-49E6-8858-163C6665E483.jpeg

498381C5-5610-4559-86B2-8F0BE8D75F57.jpeg

9D9CD8AC-AE81-48C5-838A-E6897D7B9BAE.jpeg

38BBA3FC-88F2-481A-A5A5-92D27EB6B832.jpeg

D12DC5B9-0BC0-484E-AAEC-4B4E08091D78.jpeg

18AAC5CE-544D-46BA-9495-4E01EC6E22A5.jpeg

6E9D5109-65E5-4384-AA09-FF1F2ABB92E1.jpeg

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Well the cool thing is the car is pretty much all there.
As for the value?
I am involved in the Front Motor, Cackle Car world and to put a price on what is worth, it is important to know what the history of the car is(wins, championships, records, competitiveness, drivers and people involved with the build).
Having read about this car on other forums, there are few details about the cars history which other than the Moon livery does not enhance the value. It has been determined that it is not a Woody Gilmore chassis but a Foy Gilmore chassis out of Florida. The tin was not from Tom Hanna but someone else(can’t remember the name).
There is even speculation on how Dean Moon was even involved with the car.
No doubt it went down the racetrack a few times, but was probably seen by more people at shopping malls and car shows.
Is it a cool piece of history..,you bet!
Would I love to restore it and no doubt it would be a hit at Nostalgia races and Cackle events?
Absolutely!
Sadly given the lack of history and accomplishments, even with the Dean Moon tie...it would only be worth in today’s market, no more the 65-70 grand, restored, to the right guy.
The Mr. Ed trailer is very desirable and collectors would probably pay right around 15k for either one.

I had the opportunity to restore the Ewell/ Stecker/Kamboor AA Fueler a few years back. Had great history on the SoCal tracks and all the right people had a hand in it(Kent Fuller chassis, Cerney Tin and Tony Nancy upholstery. Driver Jack Ewell was the parts manager for Mickey Thompson.
Car is now owned by Jack Ewell Jr. and resides on the starting line at the Lions Drag Strip Museum. View attachment 904205
View attachment 904206
View attachment 904207
View attachment 904208
View attachment 904209
View attachment 904210
View attachment 904211
DAMIT!!! I was born to late. @monkeyswrench will agree

Clank123

Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score
Here’s a pretty cool website that documents most all the 60s/early 70s Fuel Cars that have been restored including the restoration on Chubasco.
Here is a late friend Phil Tadlock's ride from the 60's, Jr. Fuel unofficially the first Jr. Fuel to go 200mph in '68. The next day he was on his way to boot camp as he was drafted. While he was in Vietnam they changed the type of clutch that was being used and the official record went to someone else (I will try to get a pic of the timeslip). He ended up selling the car when he got back.
301SBC
FB_IMG_1427909578076.jpg

IMG_1049237302513017.jpg

IMG_1049217936178753.jpg

IMG_1048591080329616.jpg

In the 80's he decided to build a Top Fuel powered by a 392 '93 N/TF champion

FB95IMG951427240214430.jpg

FB95IMG951427909528216.jpg

In the late 90' he converted to Alcohol and his son (a Friend of mine) drove it. 396BBC if I remember correctly. '96 A/FD champion

FB_IMG_1461949289050.jpg

FB_IMG_1461949300296.jpg

FB95IMG951456938006796.jpg

2115019895161653375503255995475284758662724480395n.jpg

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
I always thought the Jr fuel dragsters were cool.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here’s a pretty cool website that documents most all the 60s/early 70s Fuel Cars that have been restored including the restoration on Chubasco.
Very cool to see the parts go together on a project like that. Many years ago I almost got stuck in a slingshot. It required some brute force and yoga to get my shoulders past the cage, and somehow get my ass out of the seat! For my personal stuff, going to have to stick with doorslammers, or early 60s altereds with fatguy approved cages:rolleyes:

Clank123

Reaction score
Very cool to see the parts go together on a project like that. Many years ago I almost got stuck in a slingshot. It required some brute force and yoga to get my shoulders past the cage, and somehow get my ass out of the seat! For my personal stuff, going to have to stick with doorslammers, or early 60s altereds with fatguy approved cages:rolleyes:
HAHA!
When we decided to go front motor racing, and I’m not a small guy, I sat in a number of different cars but I could not get my shoulders down in the cage.
Ended up have a chassis custom built so I could fit. When it was on the jig, guys would look at it and ask Dave Tuttle if this was the first ever dragster built with a bench seat!
He built it as a bare roller and we finished it. Ran the 7.60 class but my first full pass for my license, with the dragboat tuneup, we went [email protected]. Track officials were not impressed! Good times!
81C4EE48-40BF-4B93-952A-628B3026174F.jpeg

FBA8F083-D052-4E5A-A093-16FB94F80241.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
HAHA!
When we decided to go front motor racing, and I’m not a small guy, I sat in a number of different cars but I could not get my shoulders down in the cage.
Ended up have a chassis custom built so I could fit. When it was on the jig, guys would look at it and ask Dave Tuttle if this was the first ever dragster built with a bench seat!
He built it as a bare roller and we finished it. Ran the 7.60 class but my first full pass for my license, with the dragboat tuneup, we went [email protected]. Track officials were not impressed! Good times!
View attachment 904232

View attachment 904233
Dave built the T/F car above, the tuner was Barry Kaplan.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I have this 392 and plan on stuffing it in my '34 coupe. Top Gun drag strip is about an hour from me and I really want to get back into drag racing. I always loved the 60's FEDs and think it would be cool to find an old chassis and use my motor. It wouldn't be a fuel car bu just a fun bracket racer.

IMG_7615 (Small).JPG

rrrr

Reaction score

And that's what's sad about the guy that owns it. He was either duped when he bought it or made up the Gilmore/Hanna connection. He's convinced it's worth a small fortune. Bob Said offered him $90K for it, and he turned it down.

We all know what the outcome will be. He'll die, and his heirs will know of that $90K offer. They'll refuse to sell it for anything less than two times that, and it'll eventually melt into the West Texas desert.

Thanks a bunch for your post.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I have this 392 and plan on stuffing it in my '34 coupe. Top Gun drag strip is about an hour from me and I really want to get back into drag racing. I always loved the 60's FEDs and think it would be cool to find an old chassis and use my motor. It wouldn't be a fuel car bu just a fun bracket racer.

View attachment 904309
... Carefull old chassis rust from the inside...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I tried to find this Fueler in the late 80’s ...run by an old friend Dusty Rhodes in the mid 60’s...
...When I finally got around to calling Dusty??? he told me that he had given the car to Kent Fuller who built the chassis iin the shop next-door to Dusty...Kent told him that he cut it into pieces???Dunno???...
1596097158992.jpeg
1596097158992.jpeg

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score

View attachment 904309
Run that mofo on nitro it will be just fine :cool:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Great find, but sad to see just rotting away. Hope the gentleman comes to his senses on price and let’s it go to a good home.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Great find, but sad to see just rotting away. Hope the gentleman comes to his senses on price and let’s it go to a good home.
neither of those cars will be touched until he passes sad really to bad people dont want to part with stuff so it just sits and rusts then someone after them comes along and throws it in a scrap bin