WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AC Compressor and fan stopped working

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Do you have fuses in your disconnect by the unit? If one is bad, that good fuse leg will feed all the way through the closed contactor back to the bad fuse.

It’s hard for me to tell but it looks like your contactor should be changed (black burn marks around the contacts).

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Do you have fuses in your disconnect by the unit? If one is bad, that good fuse leg will feed all the way through the closed contactor back to the bad fuse.

It’s hard for me to tell but it looks like your contactor should be changed (black burn marks around the contacts).
No fuses. That would have been awesome...

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
If nothing is hot then you really need a 240v capable meter to diagnose further.

I'd also check the voltage across the contacts on each leg to make sure the contactor contacts are still good.

Assuming the contacts are still good, the compressor is likely bad from either a burnout or an open winding, likely caused by a failed condenser fan motor.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Already did that, it was 118v at all 4 posts.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Already did that, it was 118v at all 4 posts.
Not to ground. Between each bolt. One probe on one black terminal and the other on the other black terminal. Same for the red. Ideally you should read zero volts.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

TrollerDave

Reaction score
No fuses. That would have been awesome...
Bummer. Really need to be able to test for the 230 volt. Can you test continuity/resistance?
Your contactor was pulled in when you tested, right?

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Bummer. Really need to be able to test for the 230 volt. Can you test continuity/resistance?
Your contactor was pulled in when you tested, right?
no, just one to ground and one to each pole. I'm done, my room is cool. I can wait until tomorrow. But thanks again!

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Best case scenario, faulty breaker! $30 service call $10 part... Now I own the a proper meter too!

SS-C

Reaction score
You really need to check for 240 volts!
If one leg fails the other will back feed around giving you a false 120 volt reading on the dead leg.
Get a tester to check for the 240 just as others have stated!

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
You really need to check for 240 volts!
If one leg fails the other will back feed around giving you a false 120 volt reading on the dead leg.
Get a tester to check for the 240 just as others have stated!
Replaced both sides