WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Acceptable Prop Slip

j-bone

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Carrera 257 Party Effect with a 496HO. I'm wondering what is considered good prop slip at WOT (5000). It looks like I am at about 8%. Not sure if this is in the good range.

Also, does prop slip change based on load. In other words, does slip go up with more passengers and gear?

EBT531

Reaction score
Are you using a GPS for your speed? 8% is excellent. Slip usually increases during cruise rpm's and is best at WOT

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Yes slip will increase with load. It also changes with trim angle.

Dont get too hung up on it, for all you know that 26" prop you are running is actually a 25.75" prop, or a 26.25".

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
If you get under 10% count your blessing in that boat, or most any boat for that matter.
RPM divided by gear ratio x prop pitch divided by 1056 equals theoretical speed. Then divide by actual GPS speed to determine actual slip.
Most people are either shocked or good story tellers. :D

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If you get under 10% count your blessing in that boat, or most any boat for that matter.
RPM divided by gear ratio x prop pitch divided by 1056 equals theoretical speed. Then divide by actual GPS speed to determine actual slip.
Most people are either shocked or good story tellers. :D

Really? I’f so my shit is waaaay off.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Yuppers. The formula I posted is very accurate. Most so called performance boats will run 10%-15% or more slip. The smaller boats are easier to get to 10%. Larger say 25 or 26 foot and up boats are generally less efficent. That is why I said if you get to 10% slip, count your blessings.:D

Now if you have a Jet Bote you are allowed to Make Up your own efficiency formula.:D

Here is a link to check out.
You can fill in the boxes and leave one empty and calculate the empty box.
https://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Post up your max rpm, drive gear ratio and prop pitch and I will wager I can tell you within 5mph or so how fast your boat actually goes, unless it is a Jet Bote of course.:D

j-bone

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Speed is GPS. If any of the variables is off, it could be the rpm, 4900-5100 rpm all looks the same what at WOT. I guess the prop could be off a little too.