WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Accident on the 177 (Rice Rd)

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Single car rollover on the 177 just south of the 177-62 'T'.

And the helicopter broke after it landed... taking up both lanes. I passed through ok, just slow.

20170129_064938.jpg

20170129_065247.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
So sad. Around here people are used to freeway driving and wide divided roads. Many don't realize they need to be more mindful on a undivided road with soft shoulder. :thumbsdown

riverroyal

Reaction score
Guy was from poway. I think they said 62. It was on the Indio news tonight

TCHB

Reaction score
Sad!

My wife and I have seen 6 horrible accidents on Rice Road. My wife is a nurse and has tried to help save lives on this road during our travels to Parker. Now we will not travel on this road because of the bad experience we have had over the years. Blythe is much safer for you and your families.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Sad!

My wife and I have seen 6 horrible accidents on Rice Road. My wife is a nurse and has tried to help save lives on this road during our travels to Parker. Now we will not travel on this road because of the bad experience we have had over the years. Blythe is much safer for you and your families.

Exactly... My same experience....

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I can't imagine having to drive this stretch of road at the frequency I drive to the river. I sometimes have to take it if I'm driving from Bullhead to Palm Springs for some reason. Everytime I get on it I can't wait to get to desert center and hang a right.

Often times the cause for these roll-overs is the driver dips their right front tire onto the soft shoulder, the driver panics and yanks the steering wheel back causing the vehicle to start fish-tailing and over it goes. I wonder how many fewer role-over accidents there would be if they just paved that shoulder with the "wake-up" grooves.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
People trying to go 100mph on that road doesn't help much either.
I'd doubt this fella was doing 100.
Sad to read about it.
Its rare I drive over 75 on Rice anymore, usuall set cruise at 70-72max and enjoy the views. CHP doesn't even look at you at those speeds. I've never really considered it a good road to haul ass on anyhow......

Your ad here

Reaction score
Sad!

I avoided RR for 10 years and took the E route. Last summer I drove RR 3 times. Out of those 3 times, drove by 5 major accidents. I went back to the E route.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I avoided RR for 10 years and took the E route. Last summer I drove RR 3 times. Out of those 3 times, drove by 5 major accidents. I went back to the E route.

We almost always go "E". I was solo this trip, so I thought all would be well... I was on the road Sunday morning @ 6am. Nope... rolled up on this. Real bummer. It was on a fairly long straight away too. As I was approaching and seeing all the flashers in the distance, I thought it was an 'oversized load' caravan rolling through. :(

kiethco

Reaction score
We go to Quartzite and grab a pizza at Silly Al's. Then head north on the 95. We did exactly this a couple weeks ago. Makes for a fun trip.
We haven't taken Rice since Sam Kinison got killed on his way to a show in Laughlin on Hwy 95 in 1992. The 95 seems to give you a little more escape routes.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
rice roud is out of the question for my family. have seen too many idiots doing the most ridiculous things and our share of wrecks. Ehrenberg is the safe way and is only like 5 miles further...no brainer

rip