WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Accident up toward pirates

Reaction score
here, let me summarize the next three pages of the thread for you so you don’t have to read it all.

“He was drinking”
“He had the wrong prop”
“He tows with an F150”
“The river is ‘tricky’ at that spot”
“He lost an engine”
“He should have personally buckled everyone’s life jacket”
“What have I told you about lanyards”

Oh and add “I heard” at the start of every post below cause maybe 2-3 boats really saw it.

and #1 he/she ran out of Talent...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
LOF, that's not necessarily true. There are a myriad of mechanical failures that could cause a boat to "spin and throw out its occupants"

I personally believe knowing ALL the details in this case are pretty important.

Where I will agree is, going that hard in traffic may not be wise. But again we don't have drone footage to evaluate exactly what happened.

Agree, a failure could be the cause, or the reaction to a failure could be the cause. But again, even if it was a failure, it is unlikely that the failure translates to the same failure (or resulting crash) for anyone else, unless we are talking about a defective part, a rigging defect, or some such thing. There is probably something to “learn” but is really only is applicable to that boat with that type of setup in that situation at that speed, unless it came out that there was some larger problem with a batch of drives for example.

We simply don’t know the facts, so why speculate is my point. And frankly, this event affected no one else it seems, There have been no criminal charges, so really it is no one else’s business at the end of the day.

My wild ass assumption is they were going a modest speed (say under 80) at the time of ejection. That is the only way a family would be ejected and live.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Agree, a failure could be the cause, or the reaction to a failure could be the cause. But again, even if it was a failure, it is unlikely that the failure translates to the same failure (or resulting crash) for anyone else, unless we are talking about a defective part, a rigging defect, or some such thing. There is probably something to “learn” but is really only is applicable to that boat with that type of setup in that situation at that speed, unless it came out that there was some larger problem with a batch of drives for example.

We simply don’t know the facts, so why speculate is my point. And frankly, this event affected no one else it seems, There have been no criminal charges, so really it is no one else’s business at the end of the day.
1000% agree on the speculation as to what happened. But regardless, lots to be learned here.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
1000% agree on the speculation as to what happened. But regardless, lots to be learned here.

I suppose I do agree that there are some learnings. Number one wear the proper safety gear in a high performance boat.

spark2678

Reaction score
Saw this on FB from Kelsey Merchain:

It’s hard to write this and try to put a nightmare into actual words but I have so many thanks and gratitude to share. In the blink of an eye everything can change. Life is so immensely and sometimes horrifically fragile and moments like these remind you of that, but also remind you of how precious and miraculous each moment truly is. We are avid boaters. We love it to our core. It’s how we met and continue to live our livelihood with recently building our new dream boat 33X speedster. We got married with this boat, just introduced our new baby boy on it, and made thousands of great memories on it. If you know us you know how experienced and skilled of a driver Lance is and I’ve never trusted anyone more. But with all fun, there is risk and that is something we always acknowledged and accepted. Unfortunately that risk took its turn on us and what could have been a heart wrenching and possibly fatal accident was nothing short of a miracle. Thank you God and our very amazing guardian angels, everyone on our boat including our 2 sons (and 1 on the way) and 2 best friends are all alive and walked away, not completely unscathed but all ok. Nothing else about the accident matters other than they are all ok.

If you’ve been in a bad crash, you understand the absolute terror and panic that rushes over you in that split second for your loved ones. Time is quick and unforgiving. But God watched over us all and I am eternally grateful. I am also so incredibly thankful and overwhelmingly indebted to the people that immediately stopped to help us, especially helping our boys. Words cannot express how amazed I am with so many good samaritans we had looking out for us throughout the ordeal. It makes me realize how much good there still is in this crazy world. There’s so many of you from yesterday I unfortunately do not know your names, but I know you in my heart now and you are our heroes. I hope I can personally thank each one of you soon. What an incredible Eliminator family we have and Havasu community as a whole. I am blown away by the grace shown today. My whole family including our tiny growing son we surprised everyone about only 15 minutes before the accident are all ok. Our boat is gone but our family, love and faith are not. Thank you everyone. We still have a lot of healing to do and we are not out of the woodworks yet, but we appreciate the tremendous amount of love and compassion we have received.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Eric Underwood and Mandi Diamond for protecting and saving our boys in the moment. You have been the greatest best friends and we are so sorry. To Mychal and Brenda Yup, we could not have survived the day without you guys and always being a helping hand for us and our boys. To Jake and Jenny Fraleigh we love you guys. Thank you to Mark Baker, Chris Hamlin Prestige Marine, Chris Ramey, Altered Ego Speed, Doug Hopkins and wife, Aaron Dean, and so many others 🖤

To the Mohave County Sheriff department and Paramedics for being so kind and caring during a difficult understaffed day, we salute you.

To the nurses and doctors at Havasu Regional ER, you were all so amazing and compassionate thank you truly. Please continue to pray for Mandi Diamond as doctors are still treating her injuries 🙏🏼

We hope the Regatta was a ton of fun for everyone and sending love to the whole Eliminator team for how much work they put into the event. Cherish each moment and your loved ones and please continue to be rays of light in this world for one another. God bless you all.

wet hull

Reaction score
I appreciate her writing on Facebook however none of the questions about what happened were answered. I am very glad they are all safe and relatively unharmed. I met them at 3 dunes and they are a very nice couple. She did say that he is a very experienced driver so what caused this?

Speed?
Mechanical failure?
Hull failure?
Hit something in water, log?
Water conditions? Which then speed was to fast to be safe.
What part of river? On a bend where currents get a little weird and cause boats to lean outward in turn?

I saw a video of this boat hauling ass down river on Eliminators Instagram from awhile back. He didn't look very safe in that video especially when he hit cross wakes from another boat. Boat was dancing all over the place. I am not attacking them. I don't know what happened. I am guilty of pushing my boat as well on occasion. Just want to know what caused this? I will cruise up river in my cat doing 70mph on average and all these big boats make me look like I am going backwards. When I see accidents like these on the river it makes me feel they put me and my family safety in jeopardy when they are pushing so hard.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I appreciate her writing on Facebook however none of the questions about what happened were answered. I am very glad they are all safe and relatively unharmed. I met them at 3 dunes and they are a very nice couple. She did say that he is a very experienced driver so what caused this?

Speed?
Mechanical failure?
Hull failure?
What part of river? On a bend where currents get a little weird and cause boats to lean outward in turn?

I saw a video of this boat hauling ass down river on Eliminators Instagram from awhile back. He didn't look very safe in that video especially when he hit cross wakes from another boat. Boat was dancing all over the place. I am not attacking them. I don't know what happened. I am guilty of pushing my boat as well on occasion. Just want to know what caused this? I will cruise up river in my cat doing 70mph on average and all these big boats make me look like I am going backwards. When I see accidents like these on the river it makes me feel they put me and my family safety in jeopardy when they are pushing so hard.

None of that really matters at the end of the day, and you likely won’t get any of that information. First it’s not in anyone’s best interest that was involved to share anything, especially the driver or wife of the driver simply to cover their asses. There may be lawsuits from their passengers as a result of this and again it’s no ones business.

At the end of the day this was likely due to a mistake or a misjudgment. If I go wreck my car on the road I don’t owe the public any explanation. And I’m certainly not volunteering information that may be damaging to me. A single boat incident is not any different.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Wonder what’s gonna happen with the boat insurance ? Any body have an idea ? Cancel ? Rates go up ? Black - listed ? Anybody have an idea on what insurance cost pre accident ?

Singleton

Reaction score
Wonder what’s gonna happen with the boat insurance ? Any body have an idea ? Cancel ? Rates go up ? Black - listed ? Anybody have an idea on what insurance cost pre accident ?

Ton of factor go into insurance rate.

PaPaG

Reaction score
All I can say is I am thankful that the kids, unborn baby, mom and dad and family friends are going to be OK. Everything else is another topic....they had someone watching over them that is for sure....heal quickly...

DWC

Reaction score
All I can say is I am thankful that the kids, unborn baby, mom and dad and family friends are going to be OK. Everything else is another topic....they had someone watching over them that is for sure....heal quickly...
Agree 100%. Only thing that matters is everyone is ok.
I’d only want to know what happened and why if it could help the boating community avoid an issue at a later date.
I’m sure it’s been a long couple days for his family and friends. Definitely some deep breaths, prayers and thanks. Plenty to celebrate with thanksgiving and the holidays around the corner.

HST4ME

Reaction score

It’s hard to write this and try to put a nightmare into actual words but I have so many thanks and gratitude to share. In the blink of an eye everything can change. Life is so immensely and sometimes horrifically fragile and moments like these remind you of that, but also remind you of how precious and miraculous each moment truly is. We are avid boaters. We love it to our core. It’s how we met and continue to live our livelihood with recently building our new dream boat 33X speedster. We got married with this boat, just introduced our new baby boy on it, and made thousands of great memories on it. If you know us you know how experienced and skilled of a driver Lance is and I’ve never trusted anyone more. But with all fun, there is risk and that is something we always acknowledged and accepted. Unfortunately that risk took its turn on us and what could have been a heart wrenching and possibly fatal accident was nothing short of a miracle. Thank you God and our very amazing guardian angels, everyone on our boat including our 2 sons (and 1 on the way) and 2 best friends are all alive and walked away, not completely unscathed but all ok. Nothing else about the accident matters other than they are all ok.

If you’ve been in a bad crash, you understand the absolute terror and panic that rushes over you in that split second for your loved ones. Time is quick and unforgiving. But God watched over us all and I am eternally grateful. I am also so incredibly thankful and overwhelmingly indebted to the people that immediately stopped to help us, especially helping our boys. Words cannot express how amazed I am with so many good samaritans we had looking out for us throughout the ordeal. It makes me realize how much good there still is in this crazy world. There’s so many of you from yesterday I unfortunately do not know your names, but I know you in my heart now and you are our heroes. I hope I can personally thank each one of you soon. What an incredible Eliminator family we have and Havasu community as a whole. I am blown away by the grace shown today. My whole family including our tiny growing son we surprised everyone about only 15 minutes before the accident are all ok. Our boat is gone but our family, love and faith are not. Thank you everyone. We still have a lot of healing to do and we are not out of the woodworks yet, but we appreciate the tremendous amount of love and compassion we have received.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Eric Underwood and Mandi Diamond for protecting and saving our boys in the moment. You have been the greatest best friends and we are so sorry. To Mychal and Brenda Yup, we could not have survived the day without you guys and always being a helping hand for us and our boys. To Jake and Jenny Fraleigh we love you guys. Thank you to Mark Baker, Chris Hamlin Prestige Marine, Chris Ramey, Altered Ego Speed, Doug Hopkins and wife, Aaron Dean, and so many others 🖤

To the Mohave County Sheriff department and Paramedics for being so kind and caring during a difficult understaffed day, we salute you.

To the nurses and doctors at Havasu Regional ER, you were all so amazing and compassionate thank you truly. Please continue to pray for Mandi Diamond as doctors are still treating her injuries 🙏🏼

We hope the Regatta was a ton of fun for everyone and sending love to the whole Eliminator team for how much work they put into the event. Cherish each moment and your loved ones and please continue to be rays of light in this world for one another. God bless you all.

Yeah.... he was experienced and skilled right up until he wasn't

Singleton

Reaction score

that is a BS comment! No one knows what went wrong.
bad shit occurs and no matter how experienced you are, it could end up wrong.
I knew some very experienced operators that are no longer with us and no one questioned the operators skills when they passed.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I knew some very experienced operators that are no longer with us and no one questioned the operators skills when they passed.
It's okay...god watched over them.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
x2...

He isn't new to boats, nor is he a stranger to many people here. I highly doubt Lance would endanger his boys, his wife, nor his unborn son willingly. Shit happens, whatever happened here will eventually make it to light...hell those involved may not really know what happened yet. This isn't the Joe Biden CNN 24 hour news cycle that we just need to have people spouting shit aka verbal diarrhea like Lemon and Stelter. This is a solid family, a businessman, father, kids, mother etc that just went through a pretty traumatic experience. Some of you need to try to turn off your negativity for one fucking day. Quit talking shit and let whatever plays out play out. SMH.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I hope we never hear what happened.
Do we hear about every car accident details? How about UTV accidents?
A regatta with a high end boat and a forum wants to do a full investigation.

REGARDLESS of what happened there will be shit talk.
Its not needed. The family doesnt need to hear a bunch of opinions from people that were not there.

I know i know its the norm here.

Good Stuff

Reaction score

Speed?
Mechanical failure?
Hull failure?

In reference to just the first paragraph here: my wife would most likely consider me very experienced. We probably log 50-100 hours per season but I’ll be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn and hope to continue to be able to do so. I’m still not super comfortable running above 80 for long with passengers on our boat. Lack of lifelines has the most to do with that. I’ll goose it every once in a while to let passengers touch a “top speed” but it’s clean clear water ahead and not for long (less than a minute in most cases) again still not the best choice with no lifelines but I’ll own it.

On a separate note; I am under the impression that a DCB *****EDIT: and other high end manufacturers***** purchase includes a Tres Martin course. Is that the case, or are they just encouraged and is it more “Insurance” driven? I can only imagine as a manufacturer that any wreck is bad publicity and such a course would be a cheap inclusion to any purchase for 100mph+ boats. Even the plausible deniability that could come from having had an expert tell them what to do even if the boat was operated with negligence.

Last edited:

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
What happens? You see the people all the time,’where can I get insurance for my tunnel hull’ well this is why, it cost a ton and hard to get.

DWC

Reaction score
I've seen this recipe for disaster twice, the first time we swam bodies back to shore and held on to them until the coast guard and sheriff arrived, including an expecting mother that was not successfully revived the second time was nearly as bad. But hey,carry on.
So based on all of the facts it was the lack of driver skill?

HST4ME

Reaction score
Maybe more so responsibility. anyhoo I will distract no more.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I've seen this recipe for disaster twice, the first time we swam bodies back to shore and held on to them until the coast guard and sheriff arrived, including an expecting mother that was not successfully revived the second time was nearly as bad. But hey,carry on.
There is absolutely no way whatever accident you helped with is the same as here. That is, what happened, personnel involved, HP etc

Reactions: DWC

FCT

Reaction score
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the whole family and friends are ok. Thank god nobody else was involved and injured either. If it was negligence then I’m sure a very scary lesson was learned and thankfully without anyones life lost. If it was a mechanical failure thank god they are ok and I’m sure eventually everyone will know about it. We all have our own opinions and me personally I’ll keep mine to myself because I’m not going to sit her and speculate on something I know nothing about other then what I have read. Try giving the family some space. They don’t owe a single person here a explanation.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Ace in the Hole do you not follow him on insta?? I have seeen many of videos of that boat running with 3-4 speedsters on kill mode. Even some videos/ pictures with the boys in the cheap Walmart value pack life jackets that come 5 in a pack. While at the reggata I heard all of them were wearing lifelines which I’m sure are better then the Walmart ones.
I’m glad that everyone was on the boat was okay.

How come no pictures? Of it being towed? Flipped over but back in the trailer? Impound yard?
I remember when that mti ran the people over in the eliminator and there was pictures of the mti in the impound yard waiting to be released.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I am sorry you had to go through that experience. I’m not sure what it has to do with this one.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@Ace in the Hole do you not follow him on insta?? I have seeen many of videos of that boat running with 3-4 speedsters on kill mode. Even some videos/ pictures with the boys in the cheap Walmart value pack life jackets that come 5 in a pack. While at the reggata I heard all of them were wearing lifelines which I’m sure are better then the Walmart ones.
I’m glad that everyone was on the boat was okay.

How come no pictures? Of it being towed? Flipped over but back in the trailer? Impound yard?
I remember when that mti ran the people over in the eliminator and there was pictures of the mti in the impound yard waiting to be released.

Well.. I was there on the beach after it happened and I saw the kids and the life jackets. They looked like nice zip up life jackets to me, not really some Walmart special or anything cheap looking.

I couldn’t tell you if they were wearing lifelines because the boat was already on the beach when I got there. I suspect they weren’t, not that it matters.. They weren’t running hard or doing anything unusual that day. They were just driving up To pirates.

I don’t know what happened, and to be 100% transparent I don’t believe the driver knows what happened.

In his words he was driving and the boat just “stepped out” it was very unexpected. Could have been a mechanical failure.. could be some fluke, could have been something he did.. Dunno. I can say he doesn’t drive like an asshole.. and he never runs the boat on tilt with the family in the boat to my knowledge.

Sometimes shit happens in boating. Perfect example of that is Joe in the Outerlimits.. and several others..

RD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
This.

My Rzr accident falls under this category. I almost wiped out my wife and kids. I consider myself skilled, experienced and generally cautious. I got way too comfortable with higher speeds under “easy” conditions. When an obstacle I wasnt expecting popped up, I had my Gaurd down and wasn’t scanning ahead as far as I should have been. I was also traveling too fast for visiblility (setting sun in my eyes).

All my fault, lucky we made it thru generally unscathed.

Sorry to change the subject, but I feel for Lance and I although I have no idea what caused it, I suspect he feels similar to how I felt. Worst day of my life.

Hope they get well soon and can move past the accident

Jay Dub

Reaction score

God Bless

TCHB

Reaction score
How many boats like this have they built? I know over the years certain boats have quirks at different speeds. I had a Howard 22 Offshore that wold chine walk at 70mph that would get scary. I put plates on the back and nothing changed. I know other cats that were tough to drive because of the porpoise problems. Is this hull new or the old 33 bottom? Again glad they are ok.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
How many boats like this have they built? I know over the years certain boats have quirks at different speeds. I had a Howard 22 Offshore that wold chine walk at 70mph that would get scary. I put plates on the back and nothing changed. I know other cats that were tough to drive because of the porpoise problems. Is this hull new or the old 33 bottom? Again glad they are ok.

I believe this is a brand new mold….

HCP3

Reaction score

EB were working on the 31XO/33X plug in 2019. It came out that year, or 2020.

30' Daytona bottom. Widened 3" in the tunnel and around 2" on the outsides of the sponsons to get 118" overall beam.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't know the owner, nor the boat, but I know one thing for sure. The driver, upon popping his head above water, must have experienced sheer terror. Like @Bigbore500r with the SxS, at that very moment, all you think about is your family. When I flipped my truck, and woke up, I was in a panic. I had my daughter with me earlier. Until I remembered dropping her off, the panic overcame everything else.

Until the driver found his family and friends, I'm sure his heart didn't beat. There are few things that can scare you like that, and fewer things that can scar you as bad as losing one.

In the end, the boat may be a loss, but the holidays are coming, and they can enjoy them.

gqchris

Reaction score
This.

My Rzr accident falls under this category. I almost wiped out my wife and kids. I consider myself skilled, experienced and generally cautious. I got way too comfortable with higher speeds under “easy” conditions. When an obstacle I wasnt expecting popped up, I had my Gaurd down and wasn’t scanning ahead as far as I should have been. I was also traveling too fast for visiblility (setting sun in my eyes).

Sorry to change the subject, but I feel for Lance and I although I have no idea what caused it, I suspect he feels similar to how I felt. Worst day of my life.

Every time I hear about an incident like this, your story pops in my head. Scary as hell.

To be honest, I toned back my hobbies lately, and now with my newborn daughter, I have a whole new outlook on life and what is considered "safe".

I remember one desert moment when my Ego got the best of me. A guy in our group roosted me and my brand new Windshield, and I had my family in my X3 with me. I throttled down and was on the gas to roost him back, which I was successful with after grabbing multiple air outs and g-outs. Afterwards, the look on my wifes and older daughters face was of terror. I felt like utter shit. I vowed never again to be an idiot with them onboard.

This includes boating. I see alot of stunting on the lake these days, and alot of gram moments. All it takes is one little fuck up to wreck lives.

"Its all good until it isn't"

Sherpa

Reaction score
This.

I remember that incident.. came up on a post that was hard to see. glad you and your crew stayed in the rig and the sxs didn't go over that edge.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Don't know the owner, nor the boat, but I know one thing for sure. The driver, upon popping his head above water, must have experienced sheer terror. Like @Bigbore500r with the SxS, at that very moment, all you think about is your family. When I flipped my truck, and woke up, I was in a panic. I had my daughter with me earlier. Until I remembered dropping her off, the panic overcame everything else.

Until the driver found his family and friends, I'm sure his heart didn't beat. There are few things that can scare you like that, and fewer things that can scar you as bad as losing one.

In the end, the boat may be a loss, but the holidays are coming, and they can enjoy them.
Driver and passenger stayed in the boat, back seat passengers were ejected.

instagator

Reaction score
Well.. I was there on the beach after it happened and I saw the kids and the life jackets. They looked like nice zip up life jackets to me, not really some Walmart special or anything cheap looking.

I couldn’t tell you if they were wearing lifelines because the boat was already on the beach when I got there. I suspect they weren’t, not that it matters.. They weren’t running hard or doing anything unusual that day. They were just driving up To pirates.

I don’t know what happened, and to be 100% transparent I don’t believe the driver knows what happened.

In his words he was driving and the boat just “stepped out” it was very unexpected. Could have been a mechanical failure.. could be some fluke, could have been something he did.. Dunno. I can say he doesn’t drive like an asshole.. and he never runs the boat on tilt with the family in the boat to my knowledge.

Sometimes shit happens in boating. Perfect example of that is Joe in the Outerlimits.. and several others..

RD
I agree, well said !

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Agreed but perhaps we should wait until we actually hear what happened. If we ever hear.
Seems like I'm reading about more & more high speed accidents on water this year..... I wonder if manufacturers will consider onboard black boxes like our vehicles .... might be time to diagnose whats happening & why. So much power being generated lately.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Threads like this are always in the back of my mind when I’m running something fast. I owned a 33 with 700’s long before I was flipping boats. It had tinted canopies. I came around a corner, never saw this wakeboard boat floating. Almost ran over the top of it. Scared the shit out of me. It also made me realize how quick shit can happen.

I’ve been almost 170 in a M35. No life vests on. I’ve been 150 plus in a 32 multiple times with no vest on. Those days are over for me. I don’t care if I ever break 100 in a boat again. I’ve been there. Done it. Lived to talk about it. The risk is no longer worth the reward. I want to see my kids grow up.

I hope this family fully recovers and I’m glad no one passed away.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Threads like this are always in the back of my mind when I’m running something fast. I owned a 33 with 700’s long before I was flipping boats. It had tinted canopies. I came around a corner, never saw this wakeboard boat floating. Almost ran over the top of it. Scared the shit out of me. It also made me realize how quick shit can happen.

I’ve been almost 170 in a M35. No life vests on. I’ve been 150 plus in a 32 multiple times with no vest on. Those days are over for me. I don’t care if I ever break 100 in a boat again. I’ve been there. Done it. Lived to talk about it. The risk is no longer worth the reward. I want to see my kids grow up.

I have to say I have this exact same feeling. I have been fast in all types of boats and am at the point now where it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore. Wound rather spend the day with my family enjoying the water.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

100%

I've done dumb shit numerous times. Not specifically boats, just dumb shit in general. After whatever it is is over, I can't get that "replay-replay-replay" out of my mind.

I choose to never let that happen again. (If it is up to me) hurting a family member or somebody else is a horror I want to never face.

I have extremely conservative speed limits in my boat with wife and even more-so with my son. If its busy, I'll just pass for the day.

I nearly killed a tracker in Africa once. It made me sit down and stop until the shaking and cold sweats stopped. He stepped in-between myself and a charging Cape Buffalo. I nearly shot him in the back with a .500 Nitro Express.