WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Accident up toward pirates

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Lots of armchair QB's.

I'm happy to hear the family is safe.

The only fact is that the faster you go or when you are pushing the limits of machinery sooner or later something is going to happen. People with alot more talent than most of us on this board have wadded things up.....talented and skilled people still make mistakes. Sometimes that's a spinout with no injuries and some brown undies and sometimes it's much much worse.

I know i have made some poor decisions behind the wheel, of things and luck was on my side....I have lost friends that weren't so lucky.

Shit happens and when it does it goes south fast. Nobody feels worse about this deal than the driver. The last thing a father wants to do is put there family/children in harms way.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I nearly killed a tracker in Africa once. It made me sit down and stop until the shaking and cold sweats stopped. He stepped in-between myself and a charging Cape Buffalo. I nearly shot him in the back with a .500 Nitro Express.
Feeling little short.... Thought my 375 H&H was big......

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have to say I have this exact same feeling. I have been fast in all types of boats and am at the point now where it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore. Wound rather spend the day with my family enjoying the water.
Pretty much same here, just sold my 125 mph boat and now and pretty much im good with a 70 mph. Crashed two boats racing, and its something I would never want to experience in a pleasure boat.

I was also speaking with Jake, owner of Eliminator, and now they are including the price of Tres Martins class in the cost of all of their 100 mph plus boats. Its a no brainer and helps reduce insurance rates for the owners.

This situation is going to be messy, a 400k boat is destroyed, insurance adjusters are going to go through the wreck with a fine tooth comb, they will also search social media for any other matters that could attest to history on how the boat has been operated. They will do everything they can do to get out of paying the claim unfortunately.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Seems like I'm reading about more & more high speed accidents on water this year..... I wonder if manufacturers will consider onboard black boxes like our vehicles .... might be time to diagnose whats happening & why. So much power being generated lately.

Technically they already have em.. you can look up the rpm’s speed and all engine daya on the computers..

guest hs

Reaction score
Glad they are ok. It would be nice to know the cause to educate people so it doesn’t happen to them.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Technically they already have em.. you can look up the rpm’s speed and all engine daya on the computers..
I understand and have seen the software programs on tech mechanics laptops... I guess I was searching for something more though I know not what .... maybe its simply a matter of physics.... too much speed.

Hammer

Reaction score
Pretty much same here, just sold my 125 mph boat and now and pretty much im good with a 70 mph. Crashed two boats racing, and its something I would never want to experience in a pleasure boat.

I was also speaking with Jake, owner of Eliminator, and now they are including the price of Tres Martins class in the cost of all of their 100 mph plus boats. Its a no brainer and helps reduce insurance rates for the owners.

This situation is going to be messy, a 400k boat is destroyed, insurance adjusters are going to go through the wreck with a fine tooth comb, they will also search social media for any other matters that could attest to history on how the boat has been operated. They will do everything they can do to get out of paying the claim unfortunately.
The second paragraph makes it a lot easier to not “want” that type of boat. That plain sucks.

Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score

Note to self…
No selfies at wide fucking open, 6500 rpm going 44mph on the toon on social media

farmo83

Reaction score

I know of at least one industry professional that is on retainer for insurance companies for these type of incidents, sure there are others.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I know of at least one industry professional that is on retainer for insurance companies for these type of incidents, sure there are others.
The marine adjuster I know is a certified scuba diver. Dives down and checks on wrecks, opens engines hatches, etc., and knows what he’s looking at. Like that a 70 mph 496 mag boat should not have a roots blower with dual quads sticking through the hatch.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The marine adjuster I know is a certified scuba diver. Dives down and checks on wrecks, opens engines hatches, etc., and knows what he’s looking at. Like that a 70 mph 496 mag boat should not have a roots blower with dual quads sticking through the hatch.
Not playing in that ballpark, is this a fairly common issue amongst boat insurance deals? Do guys insure a boat as "stock", and have some giant 540 with a 10/71? Seems like you'd want the insurance to cover even more so, marine motors are expensive as hell.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Damn that sux. These poor people.

After the investigation it would be nice to know what happened exactly. So others can learn from this experience and hopefully avoid it themselves.

These incidents always make me wonder. What did they do and how I can avoid it. Normal human curiosity driven by the inherent need to stay alive.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Not playing in that ballpark, is this a fairly common issue amongst boat insurance deals? Do guys insure a boat as "stock", and have some giant 540 with a 10/71? Seems like you'd want the insurance to cover even more so, marine motors are expensive as hell.

People that lie on their insurance are ignorant.. if it’s any kind of real loss they higher experts to check. Teague / Alexi and others all sub contract investigate, will write reports and testify for insurance companies. If you lied they hand you your money back and say good luck. Breach of contract.

What makes it worse is when you tell the truth and your insurance agent decides to “help you out” in order to get the sale and they downplay hp and speed.. Because the same thing happens, and they say “you signed the policy”

I watch all the time on here where people will recommend an insurance agent and a insurance company that can’t possibly insure a boat over say 70 mph.. then right after that a member is saying “got a great rate!” 😳

It happens both ways. I am very careful how who I recommend for insurance.. the person I recommend insures this boat, and it’s already being handled.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
People that lie on their insurance are ignorant.. if it’s any kind of real loss they higher experts to check. Teague / Alexi and others all sub contract investigate, will write reports and testify for insurance companies. If you lied they hand you your money back and say good luck. Breach of contract.

What makes it worse is when you tell the truth and your insurance agent decides to “help you out” in order to get the sale and they downplay hp and speed.. Because the same thing happens, and they say “you signed the policy”

I watch all the time on here where people will recommend an insurance agent and a insurance company that can’t possibly insure a boat over say 70 mph.. then right after that a member is saying “got a great rate!” 😳

It happens both ways. I am very careful how who I recommend for insurance.. the person I recommend insures this boat, and it’s already being handled.

I agree and it's why i figured out a long time ago i want nothing to do with the boat insurance market. I know to much and i won't write a junk policy. (the clients lie just as much as the agents imho)

Read the application and also keep a record of all emails with the agent. If it doesn't list things correctly run don't walk as you are potentially holding a very expensive useless piece of paper.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score

^^^^ This statement is so important, it works in all insurance scenarios. The job of the adjuster is to save money for the company, they will look for any loophole or lie to get out of payout.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

When you insure a boat such as this, if you're honest...completely honest with your agent, its extraordinarily pricey to insure.

But, when and if a problem occurs, you've one less thing to worry about.

Reaction score
When you insure a boat such as this, if you're honest...completely honest with your agent, its extraordinarily pricey to insure.

But, when and if a problem occurs, you've one less thing to worry about.

and an umbrella on your house. I have one mainly because my grandchildren always have there friends on the toon with them...

Reactions: DWC

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Very possible for that to break after the fact. Unfortunately hard to know if it was a cause or not. Flat objects don't like being turned 90 degrees to water flow
I was wondering the same thing, as it appeared only one was broke.

Singleton

Reaction score
and an umbrella on your house. I have one mainly because my grandchildren always have there friends on the toon with them...

my $5M umbrella follows everything I own and insure. With that umbrella, it also triggers my policies to have the highest limits (250k/500k bodily, etc.). I don‘t cheap out on insurance. I want to know I am covered when shit hits the fan. My SF agent in LA would not write my boat when purchased. A SF agent in AZ said no issue and wrote the policy. Sent that email to my dad who is friends with the now retired EVP of underwriting at SF and got positive confirmation, I was covered (west coast cat hull deckboat - 496HO). I get that confirmation each year from my agent and the new EVP of underwriting.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I skeg would break in a spin no problem. I also doubt a broken skeg would cause a spin. Plenty of boats break skegs turning hard. Prettt much why you don’t run a lower with a welded skeg on a fast boat.

Riverbottom

Reaction score

I used to be an adjuster along with AZ GEO. I handled marine claims from Yuma to Bullhead for AAA, State Farm and Allstate. It was hard to believe some of the agents were so un educated about the boats they wrote policies on.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
But what about people who put a throttle limiter on their engines ? They want the power down low , but not at top .

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

Sure, but most insurers who will write a policy on a boat such as this, don't do umbrellas. My insurance is Wozencraft. My Umbrella is "Auto-Owners" and they don't write fast boats. So, if I fuck-up, umbrella doesn't cover any boating related loss.

instagator

Reaction score
Seems like I'm reading about more & more high speed accidents on water this year..... I wonder if manufacturers will consider onboard black boxes like our vehicles .... might be time to diagnose whats happening & why. So much power being generated lately.
Very few accidents this year at havasu, there were a lot of drownings, Considering how much traffic on the water i would guess this has been the least amount of
accidents in years. Also more sales of High performance boats on the water capable of high speeds,Percentage of accidents low even with more boats.

DWC

Reaction score
Very few accidents this year at havasu, there were a lot of drownings, Considering how much traffic on the water i would guess this has been the least amount of
accidents in years. Also more sales of High performance boats on the water capable of high speeds,Percentage of accidents low even with more boats.
Agreed. Havasu was back at pretty much full schedule of poker runs and regattas. Tons of big hardware running around all year with not a lot of issues. Keeping in mind that it’s nearly impossible to have an incident without it going viral these days.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
I was going upriver one time about 70mph just north of the sandbar. Something caught the corner of my eye in the water as it went by my port side by about 2 feet. It was big enough for me to turn around and go see what it was. It was a 6 foot long railroad tie floating down the river. We dragged it to shore. If I would've hit that thing it would've been bad. I was glad I was lucky that day...

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I was going upriver one time about 70mph just north of the sandbar. Something caught the corner of my eye in the water as it went by my port side by about 2 feet. It was big enough for me to turn around and go see what it was. It was a 6 foot long railroad tie floating down the river. We dragged it to shore. If I would've hit that thing it would've been bad. I was glad I was lucky that day...
I don't know the whole story, but someone threw a bunch in somewhere around the I-40 I believe, and they where still showing up a year or two later.:mad:
That's been several years ago.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I don't know the whole story, but someone threw a bunch in somewhere around the I-40 I believe, and they where still showing up a year or two later.:mad:
I swerved and shut down about a month an a half ago to avoid a root ball and about a 6' long tree stump. If I would have hit it, it would have been game over for the boat. When the flow is high there is an immense amount of shit in the water coming down.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I swerved and shut down about a month an a half ago to avoid a root ball and about a 6' long tree stump. If I would have hit it, it would have been game over for the boat. When the flow is high there is an immense amount of shit in the water coming down.
Yea, I've seen them also, nothing too big lately. I guess they still break off underwater occasionally, or from the shores edge.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
OMG ! It must’ve fallen off the bridge at Topock

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Yea, I've seen them also, nothing too big lately. I guess they still break off underwater occasionally, or from the shores edge.
I see a fair amount of root balls...that was the first time I'd seen something that big in a long time. It was one of those days that they dumped a shit load of water so I'm assuming it was something that got dislodged from the shore edge that was long dead.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I have seen root balls trees and even a powerpole🤨. Just south of the dam in Parker there’s even an entire mobile home chassis. The stuff that’s on the bottom the entire length of the river including Havasu is mine boggling. Makes u wonder when peop jump in and never come up

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I see a fair amount of root balls...that was the first time I'd seen something that big in a long time. It was one of those days that they dumped a shit load of water so I'm assuming it was something that got dislodged from the shore edge that was long dead.

Years ago after a monsoon I hit a log floating in Havasu, it wasnt pretty. When ever we head up river after a storm, or when they are dumping water I'm always a little more cautious.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A couple years back they re did a lot of the ties around the bridge, and on the bridge itself. There were a crapload of them stacked in the lot south of Topock, wouldn't doubt someone pushed some off the edge.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
North of the sandbar it’s very shallow toward the California side. I saw a boat beached In a area I don’t remember being that shallow a year ago. Could they of hit ground in the moving sandbars?

Glad everyone is ok. That’s really all that matters.

DC-88

Reaction score
North of the sandbar it’s very shallow toward the California side. I saw a boat beached In a area I don’t remember being that shallow a year ago. Could they of hit ground in the moving sandbars?

Glad everyone is ok. That’s really all that matters.
Sunday evening I was floating in the eddy by Mohave rock with 7 passengers as the sun set above the first of 2 slowly growing sand bars you're probably referring to . We took off and at the next one North of there , which is building up real big as well, a guy in a little outboard was alone with no water, no blankets, stuck nearly all the way across it toward the reeds waving both arms in a panic so we pulled in close ( 75 yards away was only 30" deep ) , and 3 of us got him over the flats into the trench on the other side by the reeds. His motor had popped up and the pin was tweaked. He insisted on resetting it to a certain trim, so after getting tools + pulling it out it popped free like a cork and sank into the silt in the process. Unable as a group to find it I told him we had 5 minutes to anchor it and I'd give him a lift North, or give him a screw driver though the pin hole with some bailing wire - his choice. He opted for the craftsman with tie wire and I watched him all the way until he made the turn toward the actual "sandbar' 😂, so off we went to make it back North, but it was totally dark by the time we got home.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
Saw this on FB from Kelsey Merchain:

It’s hard to write this and try to put a nightmare into actual words but I have so many thanks and gratitude to share. In the blink of an eye everything can change. Life is so immensely and sometimes horrifically fragile and moments like these remind you of that, but also remind you of how precious and miraculous each moment truly is. We are avid boaters. We love it to our core. It’s how we met and continue to live our livelihood with recently building our new dream boat 33X speedster. We got married with this boat, just introduced our new baby boy on it, and made thousands of great memories on it. If you know us you know how experienced and skilled of a driver Lance is and I’ve never trusted anyone more. But with all fun, there is risk and that is something we always acknowledged and accepted. Unfortunately that risk took its turn on us and what could have been a heart wrenching and possibly fatal accident was nothing short of a miracle. Thank you God and our very amazing guardian angels, everyone on our boat including our 2 sons (and 1 on the way) and 2 best friends are all alive and walked away, not completely unscathed but all ok. Nothing else about the accident matters other than they are all ok.

If you’ve been in a bad crash, you understand the absolute terror and panic that rushes over you in that split second for your loved ones. Time is quick and unforgiving. But God watched over us all and I am eternally grateful. I am also so incredibly thankful and overwhelmingly indebted to the people that immediately stopped to help us, especially helping our boys. Words cannot express how amazed I am with so many good samaritans we had looking out for us throughout the ordeal. It makes me realize how much good there still is in this crazy world. There’s so many of you from yesterday I unfortunately do not know your names, but I know you in my heart now and you are our heroes. I hope I can personally thank each one of you soon. What an incredible Eliminator family we have and Havasu community as a whole. I am blown away by the grace shown today. My whole family including our tiny growing son we surprised everyone about only 15 minutes before the accident are all ok. Our boat is gone but our family, love and faith are not. Thank you everyone. We still have a lot of healing to do and we are not out of the woodworks yet, but we appreciate the tremendous amount of love and compassion we have received.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Eric Underwood and Mandi Diamond for protecting and saving our boys in the moment. You have been the greatest best friends and we are so sorry. To Mychal and Brenda Yup, we could not have survived the day without you guys and always being a helping hand for us and our boys. To Jake and Jenny Fraleigh we love you guys. Thank you to Mark Baker, Chris Hamlin Prestige Marine, Chris Ramey, Altered Ego Speed, Doug Hopkins and wife, Aaron Dean, and so many others 🖤

To the Mohave County Sheriff department and Paramedics for being so kind and caring during a difficult understaffed day, we salute you.

To the nurses and doctors at Havasu Regional ER, you were all so amazing and compassionate thank you truly. Please continue to pray for Mandi Diamond as doctors are still treating her injuries 🙏🏼

We hope the Regatta was a ton of fun for everyone and sending love to the whole Eliminator team for how much work they put into the event. Cherish each moment and your loved ones and please continue to be rays of light in this world for one another. God bless you all.
God Bless them all!!!