• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Ace Champion v-Drive oil and capacity

Discussion in 'V-Drives' started by specrocz, Jun 8, 2018.

1. specrocz

specrocz 77 Spectra 24 v-drive

I am in the process of getting my 24 Spectra back into shape for the summer after sitting 6 years. Checking the dipstick on the Ace Champion v-Drive found nothing after wiping it and sticking it back in. I can't find the capacity anywhere to figure how much of what type to put in there. After a couple dozen google searches the best I can figure is it should take 75w90 gear oil and I got 2 bottles of synthetic ready to fill but I would like to know how much to avoid overfilling. If anyone has this information, feel free to share it here. Thanks in advance........

2. wsuwrhr

wsuwrhr The Masheenest

I have been told to use Redline Hi shok.

I don't know much to put in, I assume it doesn't have port plugs for it to run out at the correct level?

3. alohajeff

alohajeff Well-Known Member

4. H20W8STER

H20W8STER Member

Hey Jeff, What year is your Champion ACE? I have the Plug on the top but no dipstick extending downward? TIA

5. alohajeff

alohajeff Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of them... all early to mid-70's. It wasn't too uncommon for the dipstick to break off the plug. The measurements and pictures I provided in that linked thread above show how to recreate a dipstick if your V-drive is missing the original. I heard some guys were removing the dipstick intentionally to prevent it from possibly fuxoring up the gears should it break off the plug and go for a ride inside the box.

One other possibility I forgot about... The Ace box can be run as an over or underdrive by simply flipping it over. Have you checked the "bottom" plug to see if it has a dipstick attached to it?

Aloha

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. Martinfrosini

Martinfrosini New Member

I use valvoline 80 90 wt 20 ozs exactly

7. wettrthebettr

wettrthebettr Well-Known Member

my 71 , 20.5 Campbell's took 24oz , just above center line on site Glass,
    doesn't take much