WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Actress Naya Rivera Missing After Swimming In Lake Piru With 4-Year-Old Son

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Few, if any, boat renters are experienced boaters. She likely wanted the best and was able to pay for it. She had no idea how quick a pontoon boat can be blown by the wind. We boated Piru many times years ago. You needed to be off the water by 11:30am because it blows there every day. Doubtful if she anchored the boat. The boat was likely found adrift with that poor little guy on it. Hopefully the boat drifted away from her so fast, that little guy didn’t see or hear his Mom struggle for her life.

4Waters

Reaction score
Sad story for sure. Sounds to me like the Mom was looking to entertain her kid. Nothing strange about that.

Here is some Lake Piru Trivia.......

Lake Piru was closed for several years in the early eighties because they found that someone had released Pirahna into the lake. True story. I was one of the first to boat it when it reopened. Approx 1984.... can’t remember exactly, but it was definitely closed due to Pirahna.
Really!! It's one of my local lakes and I learned to single ski and wakeboard there. Never knew about that. Do you know how they learned about the Pirahna.

DomesticDrifter

Reaction score
Few, if any, boat renters are experienced boaters. She likely wanted the best and was able to pay for it. She had no idea how quick a pontoon boat can be blown by the wind. We boated Piru many times years ago. You needed to be off the water by 11:30am because it blows there every day. Doubtful if she anchored the boat. The boat was likely found adrift with that poor little guy on it. Hopefully the boat drifted away from her so fast, that little guy didn’t see or hear his Mom struggle for her life.
Yup they only rent one size pontoon and they don’t provide anchors for the pontoons, only the fishing skiffs cuz they don’t want people trying anchor them close to shore in fear of drifting into shore and damaging it

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Can’t find anything online re Piranha in Lake Peru but Wikipedia has info and a drowning history:

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Really!! It's one of my local lakes and I learned to single ski and wakeboard there. Never knew about that. Do you know how they learned about the Pirahna.

I remember it was on the local news and covered in the newspaper. The news story speculated that someone that had an illegal fish tank (Pirahna are illegal to own) that they emptied into lake. Then somebody caught one while fishing and asked the Lake Patrol (whoever has jurisdiction of that lake) what kind of fish it was...... next thing you know, the lake is closed for 2 or 3 years.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I remember it was on the local news and covered in the newspaper. The news story speculated that someone that had an illegal fish tank (Pirahna are illegal to own) that they emptied into lake. Then somebody caught one while fishing and asked the Lake Patrol (whoever has jurisdiction of that lake) what kind of fish it was...... next thing you know, the lake is closed for 2 or 3 years.

How long ago was that? What year?

oldschool

Reaction score
When I read this story this morning, my first thought is she jumped in to swim with no PFD, wind took the boat away, she gassed out trying to get back. Just like the family in Havasu a few years back. Sad Sad deal and the kids have to witness this as their parents try to stay alive.
I’ve been there when I thought the wind was going to blow me out of the boat.

Taboma

Reaction score

One of my sparkys who was an avid fisherman showed me a couple of frozen Pirahna he'd caught here in north county San Diego, Lake Hodges. After he caught the first one he and his buddy's fished for more using chicken parts, may have caught a couple. They showed the ranger one day and he confirmed they were aware from a previous catch, but weren't concerned since water contact wasn't allowed. Although I'd chuckle when I'd see wind surfers out there, I'm sure they got wet more than once.
The ones I saw weren't the scary Red Belly type, these had sharp, but shorter teeth.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I don't give a shit who it is or what they do...anytime anyone goes missing on the water, and leaves behind a child...the situation is beyond fucked and certainly tragic...I hope it turns out for the best, even though I have a feeling it won't. Poor kid

NicPaus

Reaction score
One of my sparkys who was an avid fisherman showed me a couple of frozen Pirahna he'd caught here in north county San Diego, Lake Hodges. After he caught the first one he and his buddy's fished for more using chicken parts, may have caught a couple. They showed the ranger one day and he confirmed they were aware from a previous catch, but weren't concerned since water contact wasn't allowed. Although I'd chuckle when I'd see wind surfers out there, I'm sure they got wet more than once.
The ones I saw weren't the scary Red Belly type, these had sharp, but shorter teeth.

Those are Pacus. I had a 240 gallon tank for years with 12 red bellies. Teeth were rzr sharp and longer. One of them was named jaws as the guy I got them from had cut its lips of with toe nail clippers. He got bit in the process. Its teeth were always exposed. We joked around about dumping them in Naci when i was selling the house. Gave them to a customer. They were around 5 years old at that point and full grown. Willy bought them as hatchlings from same fish store across from El Camino College where Reggie the Gator was bought before being let loose in Harbor park. Pretty sure Reggie is still at the LA zoo.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Funny (actually sad) on how much compassion towards the poor soul whom they just located in Havasu, yet be cold and heartless about this victim who’s leaving a son motherless.
Weird place this RDP.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. It’s probably because she is a celebrity. I don’t care who it is. This is tragic in so many ways.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
How long ago was that? What year?

It’s been awhile..... but I owned the jet boat that I used when the lake reopened from 1984 to 1986. My best guess would be that it opened back up the summer of 85 or 86.

Geez..... I must be getting old because EVERYONE knew about Lake Piru, back in the day. I figured when I posted in this thread that there would be many others confirming this. But then again...... the first time I went to Parker, the Sundance was no bigger than Fox’s. 1967 (I was 4)

MSum661

Reaction score
She was hot when Big Sean was tagging it. But he made many songs about their break up , including "I Dont Fuck with You!". So I can assume you are correct on the crazy part!

big-sean-naya-rivera-compressed.jpg

Have no idea who She is but based on this photo She is a splitting image of a RE Broker in California I did some business with for about 10 years.
When you're gone... you're gone, but the family has to go on and close people around you have to learn how to live with it.
I feel sorry for the Kid for sure.

MSum661

Reaction score

I do remember something about the pirahna back in the 80's, but the one thing I will always remember was the morning fog hovering over the lake
and a guy who piloted the patrol boat that looked exactly like Colonel Sanders.

rrrr

Reaction score
Such a tragedy. She went in the water with the boy, he was wearing a PFD, she was not. There's a lesson in this, I wish more people would figure it out. There are a lot of drownings six feet from the boat because it's too much bother to put on a PFD.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It is extremely sad. But I also find it amazing how fast we have video of a boat ramp for a media person available which would never be available for a let’s say normal person. I really do feel for her and her family. But come on.

84miller

Reaction score
Seem a little odd that a mom would take a 4y/o out alone on a rental boat. Not saying it couldn't happen but that is usually something you do with friends or family along. Could be foul play involved. Either way sad for the mother and tramatic for the toddler

I am not correcting or disagreeing with you, but news I heard today, it is not the first time she has rented a patoon boat from that rental company. So if true, never know these days what is true on the news, then this was a normal getaway for her and her son, which would explain the son's ability to get back on board? Just saying....

WYRD

Reaction score
I am not correcting or disagreeing with you, but news I heard today, it is not the first time she has rented a patoon boat from that rental company. So if true, never know these days what is true on the news, then this was a normal getaway for her and her son, which would explain the son's ability to get back on board? Just saying....
Hopefully so, although it does not change her outcome I assume it is a bit easier for her Loved ones to know it was a tragic accident rather than a violent crime.
Still terribly sad either way

dave29

Reaction score
When I read this story this morning, my first thought is she jumped in to swim with no PFD, wind took the boat away, she gassed out trying to get back. Just like the family in Havasu a few years back. Sad Sad deal and the kids have to witness this as their parents try to stay alive.
Almost happened to a friend of mine. Jumped in the water with no life jacket. His wife and kids were in the boat. Wind came up, boat floated away, he was running out of gas. Nobody knew how to start or drive the boat. They tossed a life jacket which he eventually got.
First thing I did next trip was teach my wife to drive the boat.

Sherpa

Reaction score
wind can push a boat alot faster than most think if you're out floating to cool off. we usually toss out a line and everybody can kind of wrap it in their hand or at least tie it to a vest.. we're usually all diapered up in vests anyway... and I'm always the closest to the boat incase it does drift...

a pontoon boat is like a darn sail.. especially when it was a sizable bimini...

--Sherpa

Mikes56

Reaction score
How sad. This happens a couple times a year.

Several months ago a guy drowned at the Fin and Feather Club lake in Palmdale, LASD divers found him in 18 ft of water.

Two years ago the same thing happened to a guy at Piru as what happened to this lady. His family said he jumped in the water and never came back up.

Three to four years ago, two fishermen drowned at Pyramid Lake when their boat overturned. They were only 40ft from the shore, but they were unable to swim to shore because they had jeans and sweatshirts on, and the lake weed was so thick. The family said they were both excellent swimmers and had been in the military. I found one guy 40 ft.from shore with lifevests and coolers floating nearby. LASD divers found the second guy two days later about 20 ft from shore. The worst thing was having to tell their family that heard about the drowning on the news and drove to Pyramid because they couldn't get ahold of the fishermen. We took the family to the drowning site on the patrol boat, so they could understand what happened. Worst boat ride of my life.

Something to think about when you jump in the water. One gulp of water and you're done. It's not like what you see on T.V. Take a lifevest with you when you jump overboard or hang onto the boat.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Very sad, RIP, Momma, very sad for little Man. Too young. Convincing examples for wearing live a vest.

Mom took me everywhere, all over Angelus National Forest. The first time we camped at Cachuma lake, I barely remember. Camping out all over, hiking up through the Arroyo Seco, ever higher, towards Mt. Wilson. San Gabriel River.

In Escondido, She'd rent skiffs at Lake Wolford. Thanks Mom! IDT it's weird. The kid had on a Vest. Just like my Mom made me. She made damn sure I could swim. Saved my life more than once. 2 close calls, ocean current. Thanks again Mom.

I carry and wear my Ski vest. In the boat, there's at least a dozen
other life vests of all sizes I've picked up over time. And a radio. Find out what channel the Sheriff's lake patrol, NPS, F&G, State Parks, whoever is on. That info will come in handy in any emergency and save a bunch of time to reach help. if you know it. And carry a decent marine radio. Don't skimp out on the radio.

Overkill on the ropes too. Amazing how many boats don't have enough line. Long lined throable always within easy reach.

Rough wind, or water requiring Mooring bow out is way easier with at least a slide anchor, and a fluke anchor. 2 anchors in tide or current, often mandatory. Wear PFD's during deployment and upon retrieval. Don't? You might wish you did.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Sad to read. One thing I learned right away when bringing new friends on the water is figure they can't swim, even if they say they can. Couple times I've had to jump in and calm the person down and bring them back to the boat. What's crazy is the amount of adults that do not know how to swim. More than half the people I know can't swim in a large body of water, only in a pool.

rrrr

Reaction score
Something to think about when you jump in the water. One gulp of water and you're done. It's not like what you see on T.V. Take a lifevest with you when you jump overboard or hang onto the boat.

I'm militant about my guests wearing or diapering a PFD when they jump in the water to cool off. I'm not going to experience the death of one of my friends just because it's too much bother or too uncomfortable or it's silly to require it.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Body found at Lake Piru, where officials believe actress Naya Rivera drowned

Did they find later’s boat while they were at it? [emoji33][emoji848]

I know I know. Way to soon.
Very sad deal for sure.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
So glad they found her, not I can stop hearing about it. Yea, it's a terrible deal, but Jesus, can we spend another 250K to find dead crazy chick.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Very very sad to read. Been following the story and relieved they found her body for closure. I never watched any of the videos that apparently showed her family in pain at the lake. Disturbing how society finds a need to record everything.
RIP

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Just a friendly helpful tip. Take a big lungful of air. You will float. Don't panic, don't flounder. Take a deep breath and just float. Keep your lungs as full as you can, but still breathe. Roll over on your back, tip your head back, raise your legs up. No need to drown.

Give it a try next time you're out in the lake or a pool. Tell a friend.

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Just a friendly helpful tip. Take a big lungful of air. You will float. Don't panic, don't flounder. Take a deep breath and just float. Keep your lungs as full as you can, but still breath. Roll over on your back, tip your head back, raise your legs up. No need to drown.

Give it a try next time you're out in the lake or a pool. Tell a friend.
Helps to be fat too..... I've gained 25 lbs over Corona Virus period and I used to sink like a black dude.... now I can float all friggin day. Amazing!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
So glad they found her, not I can stop hearing about it. Yea, it's a terrible deal, but Jesus, can we spend another 250K to find dead crazy chick.

What about a dead hot chick?....how much money was spent looking for Reagan? I'll bet it's more than 250K. Recovery efforts cost money...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

They listed the cost of the search in the press release?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those are Pacus. I had a 240 gallon tank for years with 12 red bellies. Teeth were rzr sharp and longer. One of them was named jaws as the guy I got them from had cut its lips of with toe nail clippers. He got bit in the process. Its teeth were always exposed. We joked around about dumping them in Naci when i was selling the house. Gave them to a customer. They were around 5 years old at that point and full grown. Willy bought them as hatchlings from same fish store across from El Camino College where Reggie the Gator was bought before being let loose in Harbor park. Pretty sure Reggie is still at the LA zoo.

He cut its lips off with a toe nail
Clipper? Wtf?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What about a dead hot chick?....how much money was spent looking for Reagan? I'll bet it's more than 250K. Recovery efforts cost money...

Those efforts went down n forever.. I’d bet it’s in the millions

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sad for the 4 yr old.🥺
I stopped jumping in years ago after reading about people simply never resurfacing. I just climb down the ladder and keep my hand on the boat now. I'll ask others to vest up who are unfamiliar with my reasoning.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Sad for the 4 yr old.🥺
I stopped jumping in years ago after reading about people simply never resurfacing. I just climb down the ladder and keep my hand on the boat now. I'll ask others to vest up who are unfamiliar with my reasoning.
You where peeeing 👍😳😆

WhatExit?

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (AP) — “Glee” star Naya Rivera ’s 4-year-old son told investigators that his mother, whose body was found in a Southern California lake Monday, boosted him back on to the deck of their rented boat before he looked back and saw her disappearing under the water, authorities said.

“She must have mustered enough energy to get her son back on the boat, but not enough to save herself,” Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub said at a news conference.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (AP) — “Glee” star Naya Rivera ’s 4-year-old son told investigators that his mother, whose body was found in a Southern California lake Monday, boosted him back on to the deck of their rented boat before he looked back and saw her disappearing under the water, authorities said.

“She must have mustered enough energy to get her son back on the boat, but not enough to save herself,” Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub said at a news conference.

That is really odd if true.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Spoke with a member of the search team. Autopsy may likely shed further information on the cause. When located her remains were just inches below the surface. Sufficient amount of time had passed for the body to gas and slowly head to the surface. Very sad deal, very preventable.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I’m not a keyboard warrior and don’t reply to many posts or threads posted here or anywhere on the net for that matter. What I can tell you if it was my daughter, wife, son, brother, dad, mom etc... I would spend every last penny I had to help find them. Being “hot” has nothing to do with it. Yes I my be getting a bit carried away here, but fuck I’m sure I am not the only one on this board that felt truly horrible for Reagan and her family and made many of us have thought how easily it could have been one of our own.

C-2

Reaction score
Almost happened to a friend of mine. Jumped in the water with no life jacket. His wife and kids were in the boat. Wind came up, boat floated away, he was running out of gas. Nobody knew how to start or drive the boat. They tossed a life jacket which he eventually got.
First thing I did next trip was teach my wife to drive the boat.

Nearly happened to me at Pyramid.
Wifey and I took our newly built 210 to Pyramid and I used one of the floating crappers. After I was done, I saw wifey floating about 50 feet away, motor running. Said it wouldn't go into gear.
No problem, I'll be right there!
In I went and before I knew it, she was 60' away and my dumbass was outta steam.
Luckily some kayakers were watching it all go down and they rescued me.
Kinked cable on the new throttle was the boat's issue, my problem was stupidity. But, after that day I always swim with a life jacket in hand.

Socalx09

Reaction score
I’m not a keyboard warrior and don’t reply to many posts or threads posted here or anywhere on the net for that matter. What I can tell you if it was my daughter, wife, son, brother, dad, mom etc... I would spend every last penny I had to help find them. Being “hot” has nothing to do with it. Yes I my be getting a bit carried away here, but fuck I’m sure I am not the only one on this board that felt truly horrible for Reagan and her family and made many of us have thought how easily it could have been one of our own.

I think @lbhsbz was referring to the comment another user made that seemed harsh about a “dead crazy chick.” Wasn’t trying to trash the recovery efforts of Reagan. That is how I took his reply . Some of the comments in this thread were out of line. I agree with you that I believe everyone on here would bankrupt themselves to find a member of their family.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
It really seems odd that the state of Ca doesn’t require renters to have a boating competency license , but requires seasoned boaters to ...

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I remember the first time I took my boat to Parker... I'd only driven boat in ocean before.... I got up early to do some morning speed runs... stopped for a rest and take a piss so I jumped off stern after killing engine... when I come up from my dive the friggin boat has drifted away down stream... I totally forgot I was in a rapidly running river... so used to diving in ocean with no current. I'm a good swimmer but gotta say that was a learning moment for sure!

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I think @lbhsbz was referring to the comment another user made that seemed harsh about a “dead crazy chick.” Wasn’t trying to trash the recovery efforts of Reagan. That is how I took his reply . Some of the comments in this thread were out of line. I agree with you that I believe everyone on here would bankrupt themselves
I think @lbhsbz was referring to the comment another user made that seemed harsh about a “dead crazy chick.” Wasn’t trying to trash the recovery efforts of Reagan. That is how I took his reply . Some of the comments in this thread were out of line. I agree with you that I believe everyone on here would bankrupt themselves to find a member of their family.
Perhaps if there wasn’t a reference to “What about a dead hot chick?....how much money was spent looking for Reagan?” I’m not drinking the Kool-Aid... way to soon if ever!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Current + Wind = Danger

I had some friends that bought a boat after hanging out with us a few times. He got one of those Yamaha Jet boats with the twin Rotax motors. They had a few hilarious stories.

He lost control and ran into the reeds once on the lower river. The boat completely disappeared, the reeds popped back up and no one would have ever seen them. He had to walk out over the reeds on foot and beg a tow from a couple jet skiers. They got the boat yanked back out.

Another trip they had the boat anchored in the river and jumped in for a dip.... strong current and in 10 seconds they couldn't get back upstream to the boat with their little kids on it. Kids were panicked and screaming. Mom and Dad were floating away. They grabbed onto some reeds and eventually got a ride from another boater back up to their boat. Could have been tragic!