WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ADA compliance for a website???

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So I may be building a site someone soon, and they asked me about possible ADA compliance issues. Something to do with an online performance parts retailer getting sued.

So I sat on hold for an hour or so with the people at ada.gov, and they told me there are currently are NO laws in place for ADA compliance.

But..........................................

They said they use WCAG 2.0 to encourage :rolleyes: proper website building techniques. There is a checklist for this, so I attached it to this post.

Most of it is basic stuff you would normally do anyway, so it's mostly not a big deal.

Some of it though is pushing the envelope a bit, but hey, it if actually brings more business to someone, then I am all for it.

Once again, there are Currently no existing laws for this stuff (except for .gov websites), But that's not to say the won't be upon us in the future...

@lbhsbz

Attachments

• WCAG2Checklist.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 106

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Which businesses are required to comply with the ADA?

The first thing to understand about the ADA is which businesses are required to comply. Under Title I of the ADA, any business with at least 15 full-time employees that operates for 20 or more weeks every year is covered by the law.

Under Title III, businesses that fall into the category of "public accommodation," such as hotels, banks and public transportation, are also required to comply. That means the entirety of the law applies, from physical considerations to digital accommodations.

If your business falls under either Title I or Title III of the ADA and you do not believe you are compliant, consult with a disability lawyer to explore your options.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Remember when it was easy to build and maintain a web site.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had 4 or 5 web clients receive the "lawyer letter" stating they were representing someone who was harmed resulting in damages because the website was not in complete compliance with ADA regulations. Thus far, none have been pushed to the point where a court has ordered any monetary restitution. We have, however, brought these websites up to ADA compliance standards and are now doing the rest as a precautioonary measure. Just another attorney scam to squeeze money out of businesses.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We have had 4 or 5 web clients receive the "lawyer letter" stating they were representing someone who was harmed resulting in damages because the website was not in complete compliance with ADA regulations. Thus far, none have been pushed to the point where a court has ordered any monetary restitution. We have, however, brought these websites up to ADA compliance standards and are now doing the rest as a precautioonary measure. Just another attorney scam to squeeze money out of businesses.

Check out the latest from Google...

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
WTF!!!??? It's a fucking website! It's not a piece of hardware, a building or a fucking car. How are the rules different from any other website? You obviously can't finance the software so they can utilize your page via ESP. What prick came up with this bullshit!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
WTF!!!??? It's a fucking website! It's not a piece of hardware, a building or a fucking car. How are the rules different from any other website? You obviously can't finance the software so they can utilize your page via ESP. What prick came up with this bullshit!

Attorneys working this scam are looking for things like websites using color palettes that discriminate agaiinst people who are color blind. Or, those with vision limitations can't read text that is too small (disclaimer warnings) or perhaps a font style that is 'excessively' difficult to read. Just about anything is a potential violation. Most of these attorneys are looking to make a quick/easy $3,000 to $5,000 bucks from companies just to make them go away.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Attorneys working this scam are looking for things like websites using color palettes that discriminate agaiinst people who are color blind. Or, those with vision limitations can't read text that is too small (disclaimer warnings) or perhaps a font style that is 'excessively' difficult to read. Just about anything is a potential violation. Most of these attorneys are looking to make a quick/easy $3,000 to $5,000 bucks from companies just to make them go away.
Typical lawyer bullshit trying to make a quick buck.
Maybe they should sue for an ultimatum against Apple, Dell, Hp, and every other manufacturer to make magic brail shove through the god damn screen... Oh wait... Isn't there already a deal that read the motherfucker to you?!
(several whiskeys deep. And I already don't deal with bullshit well to begin with) 🥃

rrrr

Reaction score
The links above that give guidance basically say there's no statutes or regulatory requirements for a compliant website, but if your website doesn't comply, you can be busted and fined.

Makes perfect sense.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
So I may be building a site someone soon, and they asked me about possible ADA compliance issues. Something to do with an online performance parts retailer getting sued.

So I sat on hold for an hour or so with the people at ada.gov, and they told me there are currently are NO laws in place for ADA compliance.

But..........................................

They said they use WCAG 2.0 to encourage :rolleyes: proper website building techniques. There is a checklist for this, so I attached it to this post.

Most of it is basic stuff you would normally do anyway, so it's mostly not a big deal.

Some of it though is pushing the envelope a bit, but hey, it if actually brings more business to someone, then I am all for it.

Once again, there are Currently no existing laws for this stuff (except for .gov websites), But that's not to say the won't be upon us in the future...

@lbhsbz

Here is where I read something that made me raise the question....https://irate4x4.com/threads/frivolous-ada-lawsuit.106927/

Also, when checking out the Jegs situation posted here late last week some stuff popped up about how they got sued for the same thing and paid out to make the people go away. Seems there are a few out there who simply do this shit to screw with people and make money. I'm not in the mood to be involved in any of this horseshit.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Can you Sue for pop ups? Man some website are just with terrible with pop ups.....

lol

Jimmyv

Reaction score
If I was born able bodied, but choose to self-identify as disabled, could I use these ADA laws to sue RDP for a lack of handrails and ramp access?!

Also, RD’s Lounge +18 needs to be reformatted to support braille for the blind.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Here is where I read something that made me raise the question....https://irate4x4.com/threads/frivolous-ada-lawsuit.106927/

Also, when checking out the Jegs situation posted here late last week some stuff popped up about how they got sued for the same thing and paid out to make the people go away. Seems there are a few out there who simply do this shit to screw with people and make money. I'm not in the mood to be involved in any of this horseshit.

I didn't read your link, but this is the important part of the current laws on the books...

"The first thing to understand about the ADA is which businesses are required to comply. Under Title I of the ADA, any business with at least 15 full-time employees that operates for 20 or more weeks every year is covered by the law."

And in reality, there actually are no laws! lol The ADA RECOMENDS the WCAG 2.0 requirements are followed though, and they really are pretty straight forward, so it's not that big of a deal to be in compliance.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
This thread actually reminds me of the old patent trolls that would use vague patents and intellectual property rights to target small and medium size companies, settling for a sum just less than it would cost to fight in court.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
This thread actually reminds me of the old patent trolls that would use vague patents and intellectual property rights to target small and medium size companies, settling for a sum just less than it would cost to fight in court.

Our workforce figured that out with respect to work related injury claims...the end result was the boss firing the entire dept and sending production overseas.

The legal system needs an overhaul.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I didn't read your link, but this is the important part of the current laws on the books...

"The first thing to understand about the ADA is which businesses are required to comply. Under Title I of the ADA, any business with at least 15 full-time employees that operates for 20 or more weeks every year is covered by the law."

And in reality, there actually are no laws! lol The ADA RECOMENDS the WCAG 2.0 requirements are followed though, and they really are pretty straight forward, so it's not that big of a deal to be in compliance.

What will it cost to prove that in court?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I can say that there are people that do lawyer up and sue for this bullshit. Pieces of shit with no life who just want a handout. The sad thing is, it’s usually worth it to make the site “ADA compliant” so some blind person has the ability to have the website read the words to them and kick down some money and make them go away rather than fight it out.