WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Adjustable ride plate?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm wondering why the Ride Plate itself in most installations isn't adjustable on the fly?

It seems they are all set to run good at Max RPM, but kinda so/so everywhere else.. Why not make it so that it moves with the nozzle?

RD

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
There are a few guys that do run them its alot of work to fab
face it your avg jet boater is fine with the adj nozzle and they
river racers are using a dailed in set up no time in there quick
passes to mess with.

cave

Reaction score
Good question Dave. I always figured that the ride plate simply lengthened your hull rearward. Kinda adding length to the bottom. From my limited experience playing around with mine, a few degrees could kill the handeling. To much down and the boat just pearls. Too much up and your going rodeo bouncing.

Mines set up for running here at our local lakes. When I'm at the river I could probably add 1 degree down from where its at now for a better run.

Last edited:

TRG

Reaction score
The way I see it, at speed even the smallest changes make quite a bit of change in attd. but if the plate was set to the correct "At Speed" measurement, and the plate was used to get out of the hole, I dont see why it couldnt be a good idea, at least you wouldnt have to bent the water with a diverter to get out of the hole!

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
The way I see it, at speed even the smallest changes make quite a bit of change in attd. but if the plate was set to the correct "At Speed" measurement, and the plate was used to get out of the hole, I dont see why it couldnt be a good idea, at least you wouldnt have to bent the water with a diverter to get out of the hole!

I agree with this. Personally, I think that it would only need two positions. All the way down to get it out of the hole and then all the way up for "at speed." Trying to play with different adjustments while running would not be beneficial. Some sort of stops would need to be made to limit the travel. Personally, I would operate it off of a 2 position switch with each position specifically limited for optimum performance. Flip it down for getting on plane then immediately flip it up once the boat is out of the water.

A ride plate on a jet pump is hyper sensitive in comparison to a set of trim tabs or cav plates on a I/O or V-drive. A .0625" spacer can make a big difference on a jet. Not so much on an I/O or V-drive. You also wouldn't drop the ride plate on a jet to adjust the attitude. You would use the diverter.

Just my .02

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Josh and I have pondered and "conceptualized" these plate ideas for years we have also given thought to thier value and effectiveness , heres a good example of an Old school adjustable ride plate setup from Rons ("76 Bonneville") boat sometime back (Jet circle racer) Trim and "adustability" are critical on almost all Jet boats IMO Tom
user69_pic106_12662996011.jpg

Last edited:

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
My friends 76 Nordic had an adjustable ride plate with a controller
mounted at the driver seat, it had 8 positions and would move it from a downward position to about 4 degrees up, it would definitely make a difference on the hole shot and top end, worked really well with changing loads(more chicks in the boat). once he added the diverter the ride plate
was basically left in the optimum up position and holeshot and load was adjusted with the diverter. eventually it was removed because he never used it.

I'll see if I can find some pics

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My friends 76 Nordic had an adjustable ride plate with a controller
mounted at the driver seat, it had 8 positions and would move it from a downward position to about 4 degrees up, it would definitely make a difference on the hole shot and top end, worked really well with changing loads(more chicks in the boat). once he added the diverter the ride plate
was basically left in the optimum up position and holeshot and load was adjusted with the diverter. eventually it was removed because he never used it.

I'll see if I can find some pics

Well there you go, interesting perspective.. Was it a T-handle kinda deal like a cav plate adjustment for a v-drive?

RD

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
Well there you go, interesting perspective.. Was it a T-handle kinda deal like a cav plate adjustment for a v-drive?

RD

yes a t- handle with a rod connected thru the transom.
he actually still has the complete setup. The original owner of the boat was a machinist so it had several one off items.

I'll find some pics

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
yes a t- handle with a rod connected thru the transom.
he actually still has the complete setup. The original owner of the boat was a machinist so it had several one off items.

I'll find some pics

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

RD

76 Bonneville

Reaction score
Here's a later pic. of the setup Tom posted.
When we pick up this boat it was setup with an old 70's Super Winch motor and a switch under the dash.
I like the idea of controlling it manually, so we modified a steering cable to run to a cav handle.
Ron

Attachments

• 1-26-10 010.jpg
    1-26-10 010.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 1-26-10 206.jpg
    1-26-10 206.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 444