WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ADU

cxr

Reaction score
Garage Conversions...

Thinking about doing this alot of my neighbors have done it and are renting them out with their own address but hearing horror stories about bad contractors.

Who has done this? and what do i need to do? dont have funds to waste any trusty contractors in the SFV? Need for a sick relative does the contractor do everything from electrical, plumbing to permits? pricing? materials? pictures?

detached garage off an alley :) have a rv parking pad right next to it.

Thanks

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
The first thing you have to do is hire a good architect. It's one of the most important step's and will make or break your investment. From the day you hire an architect to the day you have permit's in hand, is at least a 6 month process right now. Also be prepared to spend $200 + per sqft all in.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have several customers that want to add them. Architect working on 1 now. All said and done with city fees $250 a sq ft plus. My regular architect is supposed to make a few rough sets of plans for me. No brainer to add 1 if you have room. The one across the street from Lomita job we just finished (open house tomorrow) is 600 sq ft converted garage and they plan to rent for $1700.

cxr

Reaction score
I have several customers that want to add them. Architect working on 1 now. All said and done with city fees $250 a sq ft plus. My regular architect is supposed to make a few rough sets of plans for me. No brainer to add 1 if you have room. The one across the street from Lomita job we just finished (open house tomorrow) is 600 sq ft converted garage and they plan to rent for $1700.

120,000?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Depends on the city. They hit him with school fees and a bunch of other fees. Architect and engineer is 7k on the one being drawn now. They are small sq ft wise so it adds up quickly per ft.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
In Los Angeles ADU's are required to have separate power and water meters which DWP charges handsomely for. You also have to install storm water retention system and are limited to how much impervious surface you can have. Building the ADU will also increase your annual property tax bill. The design, engineering, plan check fee and permit fee will easily be over 10K and will probably be 15k.

rrrr

Reaction score
In Los Angeles ADU's are required to have separate power and water meters which DWP charges handsomely for. You also have to install storm water retention system and are limited to how much impervious surface you can have. Building the ADU will also increase your annual property tax bill. The design, engineering, plan check fee and permit fee will easily be over 10K and will probably be 15k.

All that for the privilege of having tenants living 60' from your back door? Eff that.

NicPaus

Reaction score
All that for the privilege of having tenants living 60' from your back door? Eff that.
They will also be paying half your mortgage if not more. It's a toss up but if you can get $1700 a month for your garage it works for some.

hallett21

Reaction score
They will also be paying half your mortgage if not more. It's a toss up but if you can get $1700 a month for your garage it works for some.

Not to mention the equity you gain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrbr

Reaction score
I was just reading up on this yesterday and this is illegal. City cannot make you install separate meters or charge for storm water ect! Norco wouldnt let me build a shop out back so now they are gonna be forced to let me build an adu hahahaha

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...If everybody in the neighborhood adds an ADU...you may start wondering why there’s no parking on the street anymore???...
... There are quite a few ADU’s in my North Hollywood neighborhood...that have been very nicely enlarged and upgraded...some are renting for as much is $3200 a month:eek:...

Last edited: