WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Adventures of the Jet Botë

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Just received the new jet drive from JBP today and the place diverter from Mark another member here with the shifter.

So when my mechanic gets back after the Holiday he will install it and then we will retest with the alum alum AA test impeller I was provided so we have a baseline before the 6-71 install and a mag impeller for that.
FC3A20EA-963F-47F0-A6EE-BD60F2AC71DF.jpeg
29DC7DA4-F57D-4B34-BC10-3B1CABDA0D1F.jpeg
289390BD-6E23-4980-99CA-F61AC89993F5.jpeg
4B13056F-D643-4B83-A340-39A06C9D433A.jpeg

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor now.
Grease that grease zerk now and then remove it and put a plug in it. The bowl pressure your gonna build will overcome the small spring in the zerk and allow water to wash all the grease out of the rear bushing.
You will need to swap the plug for the zerk each time you want to grease the rear bushing.

78Southwind

Reaction score
This should be fun to watch. How much HP are you expecting after the addition of the blower?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SixD9R

Reaction score
Sweet!
Keep us posted with the progress. How much horsepower do you have now and what do you expect after the blower install?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor now.
Grease that grease zerk now and then remove it and put a plug in it. The bowl pressure your gonna build will overcome the small spring in the zerk and allow water to wash all the grease out of the rear bushing.
You will need to swap the plug for the zerk each time you want to grease the rear bushing.

So you have to remove the droop every time to grease it then?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
So you have to remove the droop every time to grease it then?
Yes. But how do you think you were going to grease it with the droop on it if you left it in? I suppose you could build a special rigid extension and try to fish it up through the nozzle if you wanted because there is no way in hell you would ever get your hand in there to put the grease gun on it.
Otherwise the nozzle or droop would have to come off to service it anyways.:D
Some of those bowls used to be drilled at about 2 and 10 o'clock and you could fill them with gear oil or even grease but it looks like hell and the zerks would rust as well so they finally eliminated them all together.
See item 48.
Screenshot_20190831-115848_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Good point. The panther I can finger fuck my hand in there to do it

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
74D99713-451A-478D-A786-61B4A237ADB9.jpeg
900B5CCB-E134-4DE8-B993-B271502FF319.jpeg
New parts showed up today

Dual 4150/4500 pattern blower adapter
Billet black heim joint throttle linkage
Edelbrock 1792 160gph billet fuel pump
Jegs adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Oh and a stainless punisher 1911 just happened to photo bomb

SixD9R

Reaction score
4DAAC6F0-1D7C-46F3-A53E-123CD84EBFAD.jpeg
407F3B5D-3191-40BA-9E0E-3A2DD0ACEC7D.jpeg
Yes. But how do you think you were going to grease it with the droop on it if you left it in? I suppose you could build a special rigid extension and try to fish it up through the nozzle if you wanted because there is no way in hell you would ever get your hand in there to put the grease gun on it.
Otherwise the nozzle or droop would have to come off to service it anyways.:D
Some of those bowls used to be drilled at about 2 and 10 o'clock and you could fill them with gear oil or even grease but it looks like hell and the zerks would rust as well so they finally eliminated them all together.
See item 48.
View attachment 793264
Hey- I have a droop, Place Diverter and reversed wedge on a 92 American Turbine that I grease with an extension and it seems to work well. I have to have the diverter around the mid point but it’s pretty easy to get the extension in and coupled up to the zerk fitting. Been doing it that way since new and never had a problem with the back bearing but I have a stock motor. I can definitely see the concern with a built motor and pump though.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
View attachment 793416 View attachment 793417
Hey- I have a droop, Place Diverter and reversed wedge on a 92 American Turbine that I grease with an extension and it seems to work well. I have to have the diverter around the mid point but it’s pretty easy to get the extension in and coupled up to the zerk fitting. Been doing it that way since new and never had a problem with the back bearing but I have a stock motor. I can definitely see the concern with a built motor and pump though.
I did the same thing for years myself with mild power however when I went to a supercharged dealio the increased bowl pressure caused the grease to get washed out. I used to even use an extension to remove the internal Allen head pipe plug and reinstall the grease zerk but I found it just easier to remove the droop and inspect things while it was off.
Just my 2 cents.

old rigger

Reaction score
View attachment 793200 To mount that, just drill straight down, I'm sure it'll be fine.

hahahaha

Reminds me of the detailers at Hawaiian back in the 70's. They were the ones that installed the bow rails, windshields, seats and so on and got the boats after the riggers. Anyway, one of the owners was waiting for a boat to be finished so he could take it to the water with some customers, they went to the Marine Stadium. He backed it down the ramp but the boat wouldn't come off the trailer. Story goes he was standing on the back of the trailer, lifting at the transom. Boat wouldn't budge so he came back to the shop.

When the detailers installed the seats they just lagged them through the bottom right into the trailer bunks.

As expected the shit hit the fan for those guys in that department but God damn it was funny.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
09A537B2-3B5C-4972-A677-C1BD48CE2AA3.jpeg
72328390-F9CB-4D70-90F5-D3273BCF76D6.jpeg
706B82CA-B8E3-4DF0-8CD2-D70702BA6A49.png
Finally got to really test the blower

Lake Roosevelt

2156 ft with 17.5% underdriven pulley makes around 3 psi

New best speed full fuel and just me with an ice chest

66.6mph at 5000 rpm

Previously best was 64.6 at 400 feet NA

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Also adjusted the new race ride plate one notch neg and it improved the handling a ton. I think this boat will do 69-70 at Yuma with the same low boost pulley. Then it’s time to swap to 7 psi one.

Also the fuel is high on octane with the meth water injection. I’m running a mix of 95 octane plus the meth with only 28 deg total timing so I think I’m gonna bump it to 30 deg

Again thanks to Tom for the advice and parts from JBP

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Building nearly a dozen of our conversions at this writing , very strange year indeed for the business , normally we are stalled a bit after school starts but , the shop is packed with jets and engines ... Your boat is looking really good looks like your getting it dialed in and moving up on that 70'ish mark Thanks for the update

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I can't believe how far off I was in my original estimates.
You have some work to do. I'm pulling those numbers on my 73 Carlson with 8.75:1 compression running 781 heads on a 454 and logs running cat piss for fuel.
Something isn't right and it isn't my numbers.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You have some work to do. I'm pulling those numbers on my 73 Carlson with 8.75:1 compression running 781 heads on a 454 and logs running cat piss for fuel.

I’m lost with what your saying?

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
There is some serious hook in the hull gluing you down? Wrong cam? Bad valve train. I don't know. I'm not there. I was just hoping for way better numbers for you. BTW Leaning forward clinching the steering wheel doesn't help. LOL.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Wait a second it’s a jet boat and it dose not go 100mph what the heck is going on 😂😂

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
There is some serious hook in the hull gluing you down? Wrong cam? Bad valve train. I don't know. I'm not there. I was just hoping for way better numbers for you. BTW Leaning forward clinching the steering wheel doesn't help. LOL.

Lol. Wow. Well that pic was taken as I was shifting the PD down and seeing what notch it was in.

3 mph with an increase of almost 2000 feet on 3 psi vs the old NA setup. . What am I missing? I’m still dialing in the carbs and the timing.

That’s like a 60 hp increase with less timing and way more octane.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
BTW Leaning forward clinching the steering wheel doesn't help.

He's playing with the diverter...trying to find the sweet spot,,,the manual only has select positions, not like the hydraulic version where you can fine tune it even more.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

He said "you still have some sort of problem, because my similar setup with inferior parts and less HP is faster".

Have you put a straight edge on it and checked for a hook? Sometimes hulls can sag and create one, even if it was not cast into the mold for some reason or the other (to cure a hop at a certain speed, make it more stable in a set, etc) .

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
He's playing with the diverter...trying to find the sweet spot,,,the manual only has select positions, not like the hydraulic version where you can fine tune it even more.

Correct and the shifter is located between my legs and below the steering wheel. Hence me looking down to shift to 3 notches lower from full up where the pic was taken by two jet skis

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
He said "you still have some sort of problem, because my similar setup with inferior parts and less HP is faster".

Have you put a straight edge on it and checked for a hook? Sometimes hulls can sag and create one, even if it was not cast into the mold for some reason or the other (to cure a hop at a certain speed, make it more stable in a set, etc) .

Lol oh that must be it lol

I’m sure the old NA setup would have ran 62-63 at this lake so then you are talking 3-4 mph increase apples to apples. Math says it’s about 505 bhp at that elevation for 447 for 400 ft NA setup.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

Right. My cammed and headered, single carb'd, 454 turned an A impeller to ~5300 rpm @ 71.8 mph gps'd. In a 19' Glencoe.

Dan'l

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
There is without a doubt no disrespect in my posts. You are new to what it takes to make a jetbote go fast. It's literally Blackmagic. Just takes some time and tuning. I've had this turd since 96' well before the internet became fashionable.
Take what I offer as both humor and positive thoughts. Nothing more or less.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Becuase comparing different hulls, engines, drives and elevation is apples to apples. Lol.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
There is without a doubt no disrespect in my posts. You are new to what it takes to make a jetbote go fast. It's literally Blackmagic. Just takes some time and tuning. I've had this turd since 96' well before the internet became fashionable.
Take what I offer as both humor and positive thoughts. Nothing more or less.

Well before you start coming to judgement allow me to finish dialing carbs and timing before we jump to conclusions that something is wrong. 28 degrees with methanol is very far into the safe and conservative side of timing and tuning. Figuring out what trim the boat likes. Adjusting the ride plate etc.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Becuase comparing different hulls, engines, drives and elevation is apples to apples. Lol.
Your hull kicks my hulls ass when it comes down to efficiency by design and weight. No LOL about it.
Well before you start coming to judgement allow me to finish dialing carbs and timing before we jump to conclusions that something is wrong. 28 degrees with methanol is very far into the safe and conservative side of timing and tuning. Figuring out what trim the boat likes. Adjusting the ride plate etc.
I don't judge. I'm not here to put anyone's boat down ever. We are here to share and learn. Nothing but the best results do I want to read.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Let’s see if the video posts...

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
You can hear the little rich dip in part throttle at low rpm I need to correct.