WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Adventures with Rob

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stacy’s dad Rob is one of those guys who’s life is a constant adventure. The guy is more driven than any person I know (except maybe 2FF) and has always chosen paths that quite frankly people like myself wouldn’t even think to try. From owning several mining claims, running his exceptional fishing lodge in Alaska and all kinds of crazy stuff in between. A few years back he bought some giant ex government vehicle out of Louisiana and drive it across country up to Alaska.. that turned into him hauling loads for people and even doing some local government jobs cleaning up abandoned rv’s etc.. (it has some giant crane in the back?)

To the point of his latest adventure.. He purchased an LCM (Landing craft) and had it shipped to San Diego. He decided he is going to take it to Ensenada Mexico to a ship yard and move the wheel house higher as well as add sleeping quarters etc..

This is his barge getting getting delivered..
0BA672E5-CB92-4E18-82DD-5E8EEA46A412.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well he had to have some mechanics go through it all so he was in San Diego for a couple weeks at a hotel... Also should make note that he had his brand new truck with him courtesy of @DuttonDave

DA6288C3-391A-4F79-8EF9-E599EA1B3868.jpeg
14566B39-C197-406E-902D-ED816CBE89DA.jpeg

As we all know California is going to shit and there is virtually no recourse for theft..

Some asshole and his buddies decided they wanted his brief case that was in the back seat of the truck. In that brief case was the title and paperwork to the truck, and you guessed it.. all the paperwork to the boat that he literally just flew to Alaska to register etc..

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Wow.. that’s insane.. How do I book a trip to ride with him up on the journey to Alaska?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He ended up driving around and found the brief case discarded and missing all the paperwork.. not far from there he found the people that stole it.. lol.

55B69BB1-B0FF-4B52-813A-F78E3DB2158F.jpeg

He gets into a Mexican standoff with the guy and blocks their car in with his truck and said they can leave when he gets his shit back.

After some time the guy gets bold and gets a hammer out and sets it in the roof of his car.. Rob says “what’s that for?” The guy says “protection”. Rob saysyou are gonna need a bigger hammer.” Lol. The situation deteriorated and the guys figure out on the quick that this situation someone is gonna end up dead if it keeps on the path.. Some guy comes out of an apartment and all of a sudden the guy he has cornered produces all the paperwork and gives it back..

Shitty pic but this is the car blocked in with his truck
5118D5B7-7908-4D0A-8367-6D97A80F8600.jpeg

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
That fucking sucks! These Dirt bags need to be shot!

oh man he’s lucky but they still need to be shot

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So he left yesterday and drove the boat down the coast.. I was gonna go with him but there is a quarantine deal when you arrive and you have to stay on the boat for several days before they will let ya off..

On the way down.
C5AF9C10-DC5B-470A-A056-C6030D7E3C04.jpeg
CB436138-B08A-4392-8AE0-009ABA3AACE5.jpeg

I will get some more pics but I guess there is two baller yachts.. one in front and one behind and he ended up having to park this thing in a spot that would raise the hairs on the back of any bodies neck.. lol.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wow.. that’s insane.. How do I book a trip to ride with him up on the journey to Alaska?

if you are serious I can’t arrange that. Lol. You might want to look into it though because he’s gonna run it up there about the time of year when the seas are at their worst. 🤪. He’s gonna pretty much run it directly there just stopping for fuel.. The upside is he likes to fish so he will likely be trolling and bbq’ing on the deck while in transit. :D

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Hell of a story, glad everything worked out.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That's fucking bad ass that he did not just give up! Looks like he needs a hauler that big to carry his giant balls around! Great adventure story RD!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I will update this with some build pics / progress over the next three months and then the trip to AK if he doesn’t sell it before then..

I might run with him up the coast. I was supposed to go with him to mex but the quarantine thing sounded like a nightmare and I didn’t want to poop in a bucket for three days while it was getting sorted. Lol

petie6464

Reaction score
Sounds like a real life Indiana Jones, must be a pretty cool guy.👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Fascinating tale.... Been on yachts many times waiting in Ensenada marina for the 1 year avoiding sales taxes. Thats a great spot to meet some cool rich fuckers taking possession of their yachts prior to heading up Baja to Pacific NW etc..... Too bad Ensenada doing the 10 day quarantine. I did notice while in Baja recently several restaurants had staff masking and plenty of hand sanitizers and temp checks at entrances.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
What a crappy story on the theft. I hate peoples like that. Often times I have all my important items with me I grab my backpack. I have had many comments whats with the backpack at lunches or other events? I don’t trust anyone and I don’t leave it anywhere out of my sight.

As for the FIL sounds like a good time just reading about him.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Cool story, glad he got his stuff back! What a cool dude.

Taboma

Reaction score
Stacy’s dad Rob is one of those guys who’s life is a constant adventure. The guy is more driven than any person I know (except maybe 2FF) and has always chosen paths that quite frankly people like myself wouldn’t even think to try. From owning several mining claims, running his exceptional fishing lodge in Alaska and all kinds of crazy stuff in between. A few years back he bought some giant ex government vehicle out of Louisiana and drive it across country up to Alaska.. that turned into him hauling loads for people and even doing some local government jobs cleaning up abandoned rv’s etc.. (it has some giant crane in the back?)

To the point of his latest adventure.. He purchased an LCM (Landing craft) and had it shipped to San Diego. He decided he is going to take it to Ensenada Mexico to a ship yard and move the wheel house higher as well as add sleeping quarters etc..

View attachment 970418
Steel or Aluminum " Mike" boat ? 4 X 6-71's ?
Spent a lot of time on a few, cruising beautiful exotic far eastern rivers hauling war supplies. Even skied behind one on doubles one " Hold my beer and watch This" day, the villagers were amused. 😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Something tells me SoCal thugs have never messed with Alaskan folk. Hell, only females I've seen sportin' .357 magnums! I figure if they have the guts to live a certain way, they have no problem bulldoging...they don't back down easily!

FishSniper

Reaction score

View attachment 970418
Had a good time at his lodge glad to see he has found another adventure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Fascinating tale.... Been on yachts many times waiting in Ensenada marina for the 1 year avoiding sales taxes. Thats a great spot to meet some cool rich fuckers taking possession of their yachts prior to heading up Baja to Pacific NW etc..... Too bad Ensenada doing the 10 day quarantine. I did notice while in Baja recently several restaurants had staff masking and plenty of hand sanitizers and temp checks at entrances.

So the docs came abd checked him and cleared him to go ashore so he’s on land now. Leaving the truck on the boat for now.

boat got 1/2 mpg at 9 knots! Pretty good for what it is

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
So the docs came abd checked him and cleared him to go ashore so he’s on land now. Leaving the truck on the boat for now.

boat got 1/2 mpg at 9 knots! Pretty good for what it is
Sounds just right.... anywhere around 10 knts on that for fuel downstream is good I'd imagine. Plenty of sweet restaurants in town for his gang. Be sure to tell him to walk the docks and mingle with the new yacht owners and there crews... typically families fly & drive down to spend time in first year as vessels are in harbor. I've met some amazing characters at that marina. Great bar there to chill and mingle.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score

That’s awesome!! No wonder @RiverDiva puts up with your shenanigans!! 🤣🤣

He sounds like an American legend if you ask me.
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

View attachment 970418

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
There are easier ways to go fishing....

smooth sailing

gqchris

Reaction score
I am so fascinated by people that think out of the box and take huge risks and challenges like this.

It makes me realize how simple minded I am and so scared of any changes or risk. Im a pussy compared to this guy, in other words!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I will update this with some build pics / progress over the next three months and then the trip to AK if he doesn’t sell it before then..

I might run with him up the coast. I was supposed to go with him to mex but the quarantine thing sounded like a nightmare and I didn’t want to poop in a bucket for three days while it was getting sorted. Lol

PLEASE keep this story updated!!

And even thought I'm sure you've done it before, post some more info on his lodge up there. I love Alaska. Gotta be the most beautiful place I've ever been to.

👍

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
This is already a great thread. Looking forward to any up dates. I’ve made that run up and back to British Columbia a few times. Seems like there’s always a few days you get your ass kicked by weather either coming or going. Best place to jump on would be once he enters Pugent Sound. Then make the run up the inland passage with him. That’s a nice trip. There’s one tight spot called Seymour Narrows, where the tidal current coming at you is so strong a 10 knot boat is unable to make headway. No problem, you just wait it out, then catch the slack or favorable tide/current. Very good to hear your FIL got his shit back. Usually a very slim chance of that.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This is already a great thread. Looking forward to any up dates. I’ve made that run up and back to British Columbia a few times. Seems like there’s always a few days you get your ass kicked by weather either coming or going. Best place to jump on would be once he enters Pugent Sound. Then make the run up the inland passage with him. That’s a nice trip. There’s one tight spot called Seymour Narrows, where the tidal current coming at you is so strong a 10 knot boat is unable to make headway. No problem, you just wait it out, then catch the slack or favorable tide/current. Very good to hear your FIL got his shit back. Usually a very slim chance of that.

I was hoping you would chime in on this thread as you’ve shared some of your high sea adventures.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Ahhhh, the old Astillero Rodriguez, I spent a lot of days down there in the 80's...A friend of a buddy, had a 100+ ' being built there... Some money from pharmaceutical sales--- right, and was no questions asked there.

DanG

Reaction score
Great story and sounds like an awesome guy. Looking forward to the updates on his current venture.

Taboma

Reaction score
Ahhhh, yes, I recall how nicely those LCM-8's sliced through the waves during a cold, windy, wet, winter 50 Cal live fire training exercise out on the Chesapeake bay ----- -------- NOT 🥶
Leave it to the Army to take all the fun out of firing a 50 CAL 😂

Oh and when you're soaked in sweat, working in the hotter than fuck engine compartment, with your wet ass sitting on a steel stringer ---- 24 Volt DC, right up through your asshole, is a very stimulating sensation, it just puckers and tightens that little brownie right up, kinda makes ya giggle just a little :oops:

So Dave, Aluminum or Steel, Pair of Tandem coupled 6-71's spinning twin screws or a pair of 12V-71's with twin screws ??

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
PLEASE keep this story updated!!

And even thought I'm sure you've done it before, post some more info on his lodge up there. I love Alaska. Gotta be the most beautiful place I've ever been to.

👍

I have posted several threads about the lodge. We have been up there a few times and took the kids. :)

I will find the thread links when I’m at the computer abd post them up.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ahhhh, yes, I recall how nicely those LCM-8's sliced through the waves during a cold, windy, wet, winter 50 Cal live fire training exercise out on the Chesapeake bay ----- -------- NOT 🥶
Leave it to the Army to take all the fun out of firing a 50 CAL 😂

Oh and when you're soaked in sweat, working in the hotter than fuck engine compartment, with your wet ass sitting on a steel stringer ---- 24 Volt DC, right up through your asshole, is a very stimulating sensation, it just puckers and tightens that little brownie right up, kinda makes ya giggle just a little :oops:

So Dave, Aluminum or Steel, Pair of Tandem coupled 6-71's spinning twin screws or a pair of 12V-71's with twin screws ??

lol I will find out.. I believe it’s aluminum but don’t quote me on it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did he buy that from the Bay Area?

he usually gets stuff from government auctions. He has shown me stuff before and I always kinda pass on it.. from what he paid to what this thing is worth already he has me rethinking that proposition.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So got some pics of the parking job. I’m good with a boat but something large like this and having only sea trialed it.. I’m not sure if have the balls to pull this. If ya come up short it gets expensive quick.

Over looking the bow
B53D7763-1FFC-4041-A92A-590069F1CC54.jpeg
Off the transom
1706F468-A73D-4001-9A3D-8D96C3DB75EE.jpeg
sitting in the truck on the lcm..
85F63E33-2718-4750-99B8-B2F9E18516EA.jpeg

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Steel or Aluminum " Mike" boat ? 4 X 6-71's ?
Spent a lot of time on a few, cruising beautiful exotic far eastern rivers hauling war supplies. Even skied behind one on doubles one " Hold my beer and watch This" day, the villagers were amused. 😂

Here’s your answer!

The Mike Boat is aluminum and the engines are 8 v 92 400 hp. Detroit diesels with Mg 516 twin disc transmissions

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The trip from Mexico to Alaska will be epic!

Looks like a 2 week trip.

Taboma

Reaction score
Here’s your answer!

The Mike Boat is aluminum and the engines are 8 v 92 400 hp. Detroit diesels with Mg 516 twin disc transmissions

Cool, liked the aluminum versions and the 8V92 design followed the 71's, same stroke, larger bore, popular marine engine and at that modest HP, nice !!!
Thanks

gqchris

Reaction score
I’m good with a boat but something large like this and having only sea trialed it.. I’m not sure if have the balls to pull this. If ya come up short it gets expensive quick.

You would be surprised Dave. Parking a big boat is alot easier than I ever thought.

I learned from this older lady named Cher. I was working at Long Beach Yacht Sales at the marina in Downtown LBC. She would stand on the finger of the dock, and yell me commands. "Port Reverse, Starboard Forward!!!" on and on. She would yell at me if I even thought of touching the wheel. All throttles she would scream! She taught
me well!

Bow Thrusters are a bonus also! Slide right in.
With a big boat, shit happens slower. Sort of just sits in the water like a giant manatee.

She really taught me and so thankful. RIP to her as she has passed but I will always remember that!

Now if its Windy? Youre fucked!! LOL...I once got the transom pinned against the dock finger, I could not get the boat off the dock and the bow was wandering in the fairway close to the other side.! Shit was a stress show for about 15 butt tightening minutes!