WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice needed on AR15 shopping

wash11

Reaction score
It's been ten years or more since I purchased my ARs. My kids are wanting to buy a couple and I honestly don't know what the gun world looks like these days. I'm really not looking to go down a rabbit hole- can I get the cliff notes on what the goods are? Nothing too crazy but still a good quality workhorse with decent glass. Do Eotechs still suck or did that get worked out? Best place online to shop? Best local retailer you trust in Havasu?

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
I bought a DPMS a few years back for 500. After a disassembly, cleaning and a proper oiling, it is a functioning rifle. I have side mount irons and forget what scope on top, but it works. Would not bother me to buy or build one better, but that is not where life has me right now.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
PSA kits: https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/kits.html

Then go to your local gun shop and buy a stripped lower

Then watch this video:

This is the best way to learn inside and out how the gun operates, it will make it much less intimidating for you to clean etc.

Don't spend big money on your first AR, find out things you like and dislike, then spend money on your 2nd, 3rd, or 15th AR 🤣

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
First ar. Don’t go crazy!!! Get a good runner that doesn’t break the bank. I highly recommend building your own. It’s not hard and you only need 100$ in tools or so too.

PSA
DD
Aero

Look at rifle gear.

Sandlord

Reaction score
It's been ten years or more since I purchased my ARs. My kids are wanting to buy a couple and I honestly don't know what the gun world looks like these days. I'm really not looking to go down a rabbit hole- can I get the cliff notes on what the goods are? Nothing too crazy but still a good quality workhorse with decent glass. Do Eotechs still suck or did that get worked out? Best place online to shop? Best local retailer you trust in Havasu?
Tom, Mr Dune is over in Mojave Valley.
PM me for his number

adam909

Reaction score
If you want a workhorse that can be easily picked up at any local gun store get a daniel defence. If you just want one AR that will last and will never need to be upgraded daniel defence is your choice.. Eotechs are great optics but for that one and only optic i would go aimpoint pro.. You can leave the aimpoint on full time and the battery will last a very long time..

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with an M&P AR15 Sport.. I have one and it's a really sweet gun. I'm really accurate with the thing. And you can get them for a decent deal, it's a great first AR15.... Then after that you can get crazy building another one.

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
Ill 2nd/3rd the DD, add your optics and a nice trigger. If you really want to throw some money around I was shocked at how much SIG has done in the last few years in their long gun game. I went to SIG freedom days a few weeks ago and shot pretty much everything they had, some nice platforms, and matching suppressors.

I have an older SIG 716 AR10 its a tank and a tack driver

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
EAEE0FD3-9C25-48D5-A3FD-9CE599C59599.jpeg

Good Stuff

Reaction score

Then watch this video:

This is the best way to learn inside and out how the gun operates, it will make it much less intimidating for you to clean etc.

Don't spend big money on your first AR, find out things you like and dislike, then spend money on your 2nd, 3rd, or 15th AR 🤣
Did the same for myself and walked @OldSchoolBoats through it also. I think there is a different level of comfortability when you have assembled it and are familiar with stripping and reassembling the gun for cleaning and maintenance. Got away much cheaper for both of us when we did it but current prices have come down quite a bit so I don’t know the going rate is.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
This thread just motivated me to buy an upper to my Stag Arms lower for my second build. Can't wait.

wash11

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first AR15.
I didn't want to go over the top in accessories or price and didn't want to build my own
Did some research and visited a few stores in Havasu
I felt the most comfortable with Ted, @LHC30 , at Southwest Firearms.
Man, I should have used the search option! I've bought a bunch of stuff from Southwest back when Meddy owned it. Like I said, been out of gun buying for at least a decade now.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Did the same for myself and walked @OldSchoolBoats through it also. I think there is a different level of comfortability when you have assembled it and are familiar with stripping and reassembling the gun for cleaning and maintenance. Got away much cheaper for both of us when we did it but current prices have come down quite a bit so I don’t know the going rate is.
You pretty much built it for me and we let the kids watch, which was awesome.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Man, I should have used the search option! I've bought a bunch of stuff from Southwest back when Meddy owned it. Like I said, been out of gun buying for at least a decade now.

No sweat... You just rejuvenated us all to buy more stuff... Let's get it on..

Deeznutz2

Reaction score
M&Ps are great.

Everything in this thread is good. Not a whole of junk out there on the market tbh.

fwiw, A factory built rifle will always be worth more when time to sell.

Havasujaws

Reaction score
This thread just motivated me to buy an upper to my Stag Arms lower for my second build. Can't wait.
Built two Stag AR15s and recently finished an AR-10. My AR-15 have never had any problems and didn't break the bank. Thousands of rounds through them. Completely satisfied and with the Vortex red dot sight on one. Still need to send some downrange through the AR-10.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Built two Stag AR15s and recently finished an AR-10. My AR-15 have never had any problems and didn't break the bank. Thousands of rounds through them. Completely satisfied and with the Vortex red dot sight on one. Still need to send some downrange through the AR-10.

Awesome

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

PSA has completed kits right now starting at under $400, and going up to around $800 on the high end. Their $500 and $600 kits are pheny value for the money imo, especially for getting your toes wet👌🏻

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
My first is a Bear Creek, functions, is as accurate as I am out to 400, and runs any ammo I've given it. Down side is side charging handle vs traditional AR style.

Then built a few, and the PSA kits are really tough to beat. Their complete rifles look like great bargains as well, but I haven't run one myself.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have all my parts out and will be building one tomorrow. 18 inch stainless barrel for it. I have got some real deals on parts from Primary Arms.

77charger

Reaction score
Imo don’t get caught in the high end gotta have. I have a box stock armalite I’ll put up against any top line ar. Lot Of decent brand parts out there to build a nice budget rifle.

I just built a anderson lower psa 10.5 pistol upper bushnell red dot it shoots well groups tight. I just swapped lowers to an aero fde color. Will use old to build an a1.

To me a gun has to do 2 things be reliable and shoot accurate if it does those 2 I call it good.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with an M&P AR15 Sport.. I have one and it's a really sweet gun. I'm really accurate with the thing. And you can get them for a decent deal, it's a great first AR15.... Then after that you can get crazy building another one.

Agreed. I got a Ruger AR556 when they were cheap. It’s been pretty nice.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I’ve got bunches of them, POF to DPMS. IMO stag and aero are nice happy mediums.

I love building myself but buying is nice too.

Options you want:

dust cover
forward assist
chrome barrel.

If running optic, flip up front site

the only ones to avoid is hesse/Vulcan but I’ve made those run great too, just takes some work

Reactions: t&y

Voodoo GT350

Reaction score
Seekins Precision is mid-tier and IMHO one of the very best values you can get. Not going to break the bank and very good quality!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My (budget) Andersen arms was a POS, and needed quite a bit of work to make right.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Against all enemies downtown Havasu has a nice AR package. Mine shoots well.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score

Then watch this video:

This all day long. Buy and Andersen stripped lower for $79 from you local shop/FFL, and a PSA kit shipped to your house. You can build an AR for $600 or less in an hour. Then accessorize to you liking. I have a few in the safes, and several more stripped lowers.

77charger

Reaction score
This all day long. Buy and Andersen stripped lower for $79 from you local shop/FFL, and a PSA kit shipped to your house. You can build an AR for $600 or less in an hour. Then accessorize to you liking. I have a few in the safes, and several more stripped lowers.
That’s how I built my pistol anderson lower and psa upper along with psa lower parts kits with trigger. Trigger was pretty decent for a mil spec.

Gun functioned great from the start no issues some reason I got a gun but addiction since moving to az and a new shop opened nearby in Peoria added 2 more ars and will prob pick up a couple more lowers after my next time I go to work. Took me 26 years to buy 7 guns last one in 2000 but only 1.5 years to buy 5 more🤣

Last edited:

floatn turd

Reaction score

20200706_073509.jpg

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had a s&w mp sport and a Daniel defense.. for some odd reason I tend to reach for that s&w when I used to shoot.. who knows. Lost them all to thieves during the riots... oh well 🤐

arch stanton

Reaction score
Try ar15discounts.com an amazing amount of choices assemble yourself good project to do with the kids or they will assemble the upper for you I think its 25.00 they have a good sale that started today 15% off on everything
they are out of stock on a lot of items but they have sales every week and stock comes and goes.
they also have a house brand NBS that stands for no bull shit they seem to review well but I have not finished one using NBS parts yet.
Bear Creek arsenal is very cheap with all USA made parts reviews have gotten better lately

The options that are now available are truly amazing for caliber you can get 9mm, 45ACP 223, 300 black out ,308 ,6.5 Grendel 6.5 creedmore, 224 valkyrie 350 legend,458 socom,7.62x39 22lr and 450 Bushmaster and maybe more

I have just got back into finishing a few lowers that have been sitting around for years and dug out the reloading equipment and built a new loading bench

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
I just assembled 5 lowers over the weekend!! I need to figure out what stock I want to use.

I Run Guns in havasu has some nice entry level complete AR’s in stock, their web site for in stock guns is really accurate

CMMG has a nice LPK kit for stripped lowers

EO Tech, US optics, Aimpoint, Acog are all excellent for red dots
nikon ar 223 is a good and fairly cheap scope designed for the 223/556 platform

02254E9D-A08F-4958-BD10-7B7AAF2AE662.png

DLC

Reaction score
Try ar15discounts.com an amazing amount of choices assemble yourself good project to do with the kids or they will assemble the upper for you I think its 25.00 they have a good sale that started today 15% off on everything
they are out of stock on a lot of items but they have sales every week and stock comes and goes.
they also have a house brand NBS that stands for no bull shit they seem to review well but I have not finished one using NBS parts yet.
Bear Creek arsenal is very cheap with all USA made parts reviews have gotten better lately

The options that are now available are truly amazing for caliber you can get 9mm, 45ACP 223, 300 black out ,308 ,6.5 Grendel 6.5 creedmore, 224 valkyrie 350 legend,458 socom,7.62x39 22lr and 450 Bushmaster and maybe more

I have just got back into finishing a few lowers that have been sitting around for years and dug out the reloading equipment and built a new loading bench
Can you post a pic of the NEW Loading Bench

Roosky01

Reaction score
I'm buying some quality lowers and a few parts kits and then taking a breath to figure out exactly what I really want for uppers. I have two Armalite rifles and one DPMS currently, but have been out of the AR game since 2008 and I dont really know what's going on in the market currently?