WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice on a code reader/ scan tool?

Steve-o

Reaction score
My wife’s car has a “service suspension system” message that keeps popping up. I checked with my code reader and no codes. I looked at all the lines and wiring and everything seems good. Fuses are good. Compressor is good. Next step is to purchase a scan tool that can talk to the computer and run a test on it but I don’t know which one to buy without breaking the bank. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
2015 Cadillac Escalade esv

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Were the rear shocks just replaced by any chance?

Steve-o

Reaction score
Were the rear shocks just replaced by any chance?
No. The car was bought used last year. It had all the service records from the dealer with nothing mentioned about the suspension system. It all looks original

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I would bet you have a small leak some where or a sensor going bad. you will most likely need a high dollar reader to scan those codes.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
When I replaced the rear shocks on my escalade I got a light on may dash. I Googled the issue and came across a forum where a guy was talking about having the same issue and he found that an electrical connector on top of the frame rail by the rear tires had come disconnected. I thought there is no way this is my problem as I was nowhere near the upper frame rail during the shock replacement. I checked mine and sure enough the connector was separated. I don't know how it happened but plugged it back together and dash light went off.

Not sure if this could be your issue but you might check it out. Its hard to see but it's on top of the upper frame rail on each side by the rear wheels.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Thanks I will check that. I figured with all the whiz bang stuff that thing has on it, I will probably need a decent scan tool in future anyway.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I actually have gotten by with a $25 scan tool for the past several years and it has served me very well.

Check out the connector on each side and report back. I don't think you can see it from the exterior wheel well. You may have to slide under the rear of the vehicle and put your head up as high as you can to see the connector. If you can't locate it I will crawl under mine and try and snap a pic.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Thank you. I checked and they feel connected

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
My wife’s car has a “service suspension system” message that keeps popping up. I checked with my code reader and no codes. I looked at all the lines and wiring and everything seems good. Fuses are good. Compressor is good. Next step is to purchase a scan tool that can talk to the computer and run a test on it but I don’t know which one to buy without breaking the bank. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
2015 Cadillac Escalade esv

Or bring it by.... hi steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rjt01

Reaction score
Where u located ??? I have one of those bad ass expensive scanners with all the Licence for GM and can talk with the onboard computer. I’m in La Mirada ca .

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Check the connectors on each shock, the mag ride system has an electrical connector on the front, as well as both rear shocks, the rears also have an air line.

Does the pump run all the time? If so, it has a leak. It should only run a few seconds when you first start it, if it sags overnight etc, you probably lost a rear shock.

How does it ride? When the magride valving fails they turn into buckboards.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Seems to ride fine. Compressor doesn’t run all the time. I’m by raging waters. Thanks RJT I might need to do that. Really hoping I can find an affordable scan tool though.....