WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice on becoming a Firefighter

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Looking for information on becoming a firefighter for my 17-year-old daughter. She is a senior in high school and doing her Senior project on this subject with the neighbour who is an LA City Fire Captain. He is a great resource and helping tremendously, but also mentioned that things have changed a lot since he became a fireman.

We are in La Verne. I have heard that Mt. Sac has a good fire program. However, that is the only program I have heard of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Frank

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Crafton Hills college, Victor Valley College, Rio Hondo, Riverside Community college all have fire courses and academies.
EMS - EMT experience and physical fitness is huge. Get some time on an ambulance, become a paramedic and you can go almost anywhere. Cal Fire seasonal or the Feds is great firefighting experience too. Departments like San Bernardino County and Rialto (2 off the top of my head) have Ambulance Operator Positions (AO) where they respond from the fire station. Most of the new hires come from those positions in those departments.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looking for information on becoming a firefighter for my 17-year-old daughter. She is a senior in high school and doing her Senior project on this subject with the neighbour who is an LA City Fire Captain. He is a great resource and helping tremendously, but also mentioned that things have changed a lot since he became a fireman.

We are in La Verne. I have heard that Mt. Sac has a good fire program. However, that is the only program I have heard of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Frank

Gimme a call when you have time.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Frank
Just my 2 cents. I am in the fire sprinkler industry. We deal with a lot of women who are in fire prevention and inspections. Still a good career if they cant get hired as a firefighter. Their is classes for fire prevention.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Frank
I've known this gal 15 years... she was a pro beach volleyballer back then.... a female OCFA gal spotted her and asked if she'd considered becoming a fire fighter as OCFA had an open enrollment due to retirements and needed women to apply.... she jumped on it and I witnessed the entire process all the way thru graduation [we were dating].... OCFA even paid for her EMT and fast tracked her. Today at 42 she's now a paramedic for OCFA and loves her career and crew and has remained one fine person & badass of a chick.....PM if would like to be connected to her. Happy to assist.

1601755079692.png

Javajoe

Reaction score
Make sure she includes the money these Dept’s make from basically charging Thousands of people to come apply only to put 200 of them on a list when they are not hiring at the moment. Long Beach did that and made a shit ton of money. Kinda shitty 👎

charred1

Reaction score
See if your local departments have a Fire Cadet/Explorer program. It will give her true insight to the fire department and will also give her life skills that will benefit her no matter what career she ends up in.

X Hoser

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Frank
Sent you a PM

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I started fire fighting in 1970...... in three months I'm done. A lot different back then. Now it's pretty cutthroat gettin on anywhere. The one avenue I haven't seen mentioned is starting on a camp crew doing wildland stuff. I started at L.A.Co.FD Camp 2 and went to Camp 9 from there. Might be a different way to get in. What I learned in the camps carried me for 50 years. Might be worth looking into.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I've known this gal 15 years... she was a pro beach volleyballer back then.... a female OCFA gal spotted her and asked if she'd considered becoming a fire fighter as OCFA had an open enrollment due to retirements and needed women to apply.... she jumped on it and I witnessed the entire process all the way thru graduation [we were dating].... OCFA even paid for her EMT and fast tracked her. Today at 42 she's now a paramedic for OCFA and loves her career and crew and has remained one fine person & badass of a chick.....PM if would like to be connected to her. Happy to assist.

View attachment 928563
I will 100 percent agree with you, she was my firefighter for a short time.... fantastic person.... she can do the job 👍

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Hoser replied to your PM. Thanks.
Gramps thank you as well. You were one of the people that I hoped would respond.
Charred we are planning on that. Actually know a guy on the local department.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I’ve been in the fire service for 25 years and am a captain/paramedic on a large department. My advice... if she’s smart and has a good personality, I’d tell her to go back to school and do something else. If she’s dumb and has a terrible personality, I’d tell her to go back to school and do something else. I could go on for days why my kids won’t be firefighters. Just an honest opinion.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Get her involved in crossfit for physical fitness, enrolled in EMT school as soon as possible and a Cadet program if possible. We have a caps program every Tuesday and Thursday night in Van Nuys that introduces them to the job and runs through a pretty tough workout. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I’ve been in the fire service for 25 years and am a captain/paramedic on a large department. My advice... if she’s smart and has a good personality, I’d tell her to go back to school and do something else. If she’s dumb and has a terrible personality, I’d tell her to go back to school and do something else. I could go on for days why my kids won’t be firefighters. Just an honest opinion.
Lol Yup. I tell my kids the same thing. Stay away from policing and go make real money somewhere else. I can only imagine Fire isn't that far off.

Husqy510

Reaction score

Care to elaborate? I'm a captain with LAFD and think it's the best job in the world, not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Care to elaborate? I'm a captain with LAFD and think it's the best job in the world, not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.
All right Hose Dragger. I guess it's safe for you to roll into this one. 😂

2Driver

Reaction score
First things first if she wants to be considered as part of the team. She going to need a F250 with a 6” lift 😁

Last edited:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I’m with Phoenix. Have enjoyed it. But, pension changes, proven sleep deprivation related health and psychiatric issues, ridiculously high infectious disease exposure, skyrocketing reportable cancer contraction and death, high rates of heart disease, ever deceasing post-retirement lifespan (getting close to under 5 years), etc., etc., etc. Our pensions are constantly under attack, especially yours, which you guys won’t reform. The list goes on. Our new hires don’t get nearly the benefits package I do. Just wait until the public turns on us like they have done on PD. We are starting to get randomly shot at here, but you won’t hear that on the MSM. Where do you want me to stop?
Yes, it’s been a rewarding, exciting, beneficial career. It’s changed in the last 2 decades to something I don’t want my kids involved with. To each their own, and I hope everyone getting into the field has a long, healthy, happy career... and know exactly what they are getting into, because it won’t be getting any better. Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

8dayz

Reaction score
Dlow, Exactly! The juice isn’t worth the squeeze anymore. 21 years in. The misconceptions, and hate directed our way from people, takes away from the calling of helping others on their worst days. I agree with what you said.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Man, I'm legitimately sorry to hear that. No doubt, all those things you mentioned are true to varying degrees, but there are things we can do minimize the impacts of this career. Again it's not for everyone, but still beats sitting in an office.

Good luck, and stay safe!

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the feelings about this career from those in it. But I feel that that sentiment is true in most fields with fire and police being some of the worst due to The dangers, lack of respect and the animosity shown to you.
I know I feel that the construction trade which I am in and love so much has changed since I got In back in ‘88.
Still love it but not as much. Feel sorry for the young ones getting in now.

I will be reaching out to a few of you Tuesday when my daughter comes back from my ex’s house.
thank you all.

cxr

Reaction score
Get her involved in crossfit for physical fitness, enrolled in EMT school as soon as possible and a Cadet program if possible. We have a caps program every Tuesday and Thursday night in Van Nuys that introduces them to the job and runs through a pretty tough workout. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

At what age do the cadet rograms start?
just trying to find ways to keep my 15 yo busy now that everything is closed.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know Adam Brandos? Hes my "cousin-in-law" lol

yz450mm

Reaction score
Typically 14, but those programs were all run through the Boy Scouts. Not sure what the current status is of those programs.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

84miller

Reaction score
Becoming a firefighter is a public service job that can be rewarding and trying job. My biggest advice that most "new" firefighters overlook. Get the first job where you can. Then find a city who has funded the city's pension plan. The state of CA, plus cities like San Bernardino have not funded the pension plans and many state and city employees will never see a pension. FYI, that is the big fight currently with the congress releasing the covid aide. Dems want money to fund these pension plans. It is going to happen, there is no money, plus these workers did not pay into SS.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Hasn’t been mentioned but La Habra Heights FD is volunteer and it’s command staff are mostly LAFD and LA Co active and retired. I’ve heard it’s a good ladder for going full time in So. Cal. , but I’m PD and a resident , maybe some RDap’ers have more info. on it?

Husqy510

Reaction score
Do you know Adam Brandos? Hes my "cousin-in-law" lol
I do, we were both rookies at the same station, and I see him from time to time on incidents. Good dude.

As mentioned above, it starts at 14, but im not sure about current status due to Covid.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It would seem that smaller, well run, less crowded municipalities might be better than a large city. I know there is always a zillion applications for a handful of openings every time they announce hiring openings.

8dayz

Reaction score
Smaller doesn’t equate to well run. Some departments pay into SS. There are some books for her to read. https://www.aspiringfirefighters.com/

Find an area she would like to live and figure out a commute she is willing to pull off. Then research all those agencies. CrossFit, PM, and the female factor she will walk on. Get her exposed first to the job and make sure she is into it before all of you go down that road. And when she turns 18 start taking any test she qualifies for online, for practice.

All dept Can be very different from one another. Opportunity, career paths, specialty’s, etc...